HubPages Stats Observation

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)
  1. GinnyLee profile image87
    GinnyLeeposted 12 years ago

The hubpages stats page always fascinates me.  http://hubpages.com/stats/  The picture of it is shown below, but it is the same as the link.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6084722_f248.jpg

If I am reading this right, ~800,000 of the 1.2M hubs (~66%) get less than 10 views per MONTH?

That surprises me.  I would not have expected that lowest tier of hubs to have as many as 800K.

I have seen several people mention that 10 views per day per hub is considered "good" but it sure does appear that the vast minority of hubs are in that higher tier.

Do these numbers match your expectations?

2. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

With all the talk about deleting hubs that do not perform well does that mean that 800,000 hubs should be deleted?

I am not surprised by the stats as most people fail to consider their searchers when writing with regards to SEO, or they ignore the competition and blindly publish in niches in which they have no chance to rank.

The number of active hubbers is probably very small when compared to the statistics for published users, especially when you consider that the average number of hubs per user is just 6 and there are many that actually have many thousands.

3. GinnyLee profile image87
    GinnyLeeposted 12 years ago

800k deletions would be amazing. But it does make me wonder if they should be

1. LeanMan profile image79
      LeanManposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It would harm the backlinks to the hubs that are performing so probably not such a good idea!

4. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

Even taking into account that seasonal topics will only get viewed for about one or two months a year that is an amazing amount of hubs sitting there not getting many views.

I had wondered why the request to spring clean had gone out now I think there it may be connected to this.

I cannot help but think that some of those hubs may belong to people who have started hubbing and then not continued with the process of writing here or visiting the site.

Also that the active and interested hubbers are the ones who will work to delete, unpublish and improve their hubs anyway. While the type of hubs that are really a drag and maybe not well constructed, will not be touched as the people who made them are not here to read the advice.

This has prompted me to take a look at my other 'never going anywhere' account and maybe to remove content and then close it down.

5. dipless profile image69
    diplessposted 12 years ago

That does surprise me and to 800,000 without any pageviews, I am in the process of spring cleaning as we speak and it looks like I will be removing about 7 hubs at this rate, am going to give them a rework and see if I can get them to do any performing, however it looks likely the will never succeed.

I think the number which get over 10,000 views per month is pretty impressive, I have a couple that are well into the 1000+ but most of mine are either 100+ or < 10 a lot of this is because my early hubs never use to get keyword researched, I have only started working on that for about a month or so and I am looking forward to seeing the results of this test. The results are already looking positive. For a hub which was published just over a week ago is getting traffic, I hope this will be another 1000+ per month hubs however I think it will be more likely around the 100+

6. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I just checked my stats. 

Of 240 hubs...
    140 of them get less than ten views a month.
    90 get less than five.

I am wasting HubPages server space.

Don't tell them.

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to my world, Mr. Ewbie.  Care for some tea?

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Only if you're buying.

Or is it a cunning self promotional device?

1. profile image0
          Motown2Chitownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Darn.  Didn't think you'd see through me that easily.  Hell, I'll buy.  I'm earning enough on HP to at least be able to offer a cup of tea.

Once a month at least.

smile

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
            Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just got lucky.  Truth is I don't know what I'm doing most of the time.

Time to get on with that keyword research stuff and write something useful.

7. American_Choices profile image77
    American_Choicesposted 12 years ago

Fascinating post. I will have to take a fresh look at my own stats. When I promote I try to promote the ones not being read so hopefully I am different - doubtful but hopefully!

8. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 12 years ago

That's my plan too.  Although I tend to not like useful stuff.  It makes my head hurt.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)