Why do most parents ask their child/children to lie for them?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Menjia_Rose profile image60
    Menjia_Roseposted 12 years ago

Why do parents get upset that their child/children have lied to them? Why was it okay for them to lie on their behalf? Do you as a parent firmly believe it's a difference between a little white lie, a good lie, or a partial lie?

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm confused.  As per your title, do you really think most parents tell their kids to lie, especially to lie for them?

Menjia_Roseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I've witness a parent tell their child to answer the phone and tell the person on the other end that they weren't home. Some children even witness their parents lying to a friend or family member. We as parents lead by examples, and if we allow our children to hear us lying or having them to lie for us; then we can't blame the child/children for doing the same on their own behalf.

1. profile image0

I see.  Yes, it would be wrong to teach them to lie like that, and I know some parents who do that or would do that.  Still, I'm not sure we can say that most parents do that...?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be picky about your title. 
          Yes, it's wrong to teach a kid to lie, period, barring perhaps a life-or-death situation where such a thing might be called for.   
          One problem, I think, about all this is that many parents these days allow a child to be privvy to adult discussions and controversies that should be kept to adults.

2. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Telling lies is easy, whether it's a parent teaching their children religious beliefs or lying so as not to hurt someones feelings. They are all lies and are relevant to whomever is the recipient and how much damage it does.

1. profile image0

hmm.  You say all that like it's a true thang.

1. A Troubled Man profile image57

You're free to point out if it's a lie.

1. profile image0

And not only are you free to try to prove that Christianity teaches lies, but you're free to retract that statement too.  ha.  But I very much doubt that you will exercise that God-given right! LOL.

That's exactly what many have been doing here, Brenda. smile

1. profile image0

Quite fervently but nevertheless ineffectively.   Except maybe to people who are easily swayed by naysayers.

Oh yes, I completely understand believers are not swayed by reality, logic or reason and that anything presented as such is ineffective to the magic of invisible fairies. That doesn't mean it's entirely ineffective for others who may read the beliefs of Christianity and the reality presented in contrast. smile

1. profile image0

So, do you see it as your mission to persuade people that there is no God?
                    And if so, then who or what motivates you to do so?

2. momster profile image61
    momsterposted 12 years ago

I would have to say it depends on what the lie is about. Yes I have had my child not tell someone something just because of the outcome it could bring. But most people lie so that: 1. They wont get in trouble and 2. So they dont hurt someone they are lying to.
    Is it considered a lie if you dont tell someone something you know and they dont?
    So many varibles on lying.

A lie is a lie, no mater the nature of the lie. A lie never depends, it's only told. If you can't be 100% honest with yourself then you can't ever be 100% truthful to another.

1. Disturbia profile image61
        Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm afraid human interaction is more complex than just the black and white picture you suggest.  Obviously we all know it's wrong to lie, but there are times when we may be better served by a little bit of tact. 

I don't know what "most" parents do or ask their children to do, but I've never had to teach my children to lie, they managed to figure that out all by themselves.

3. Joy56 profile image66
    Joy56posted 12 years ago

It is a little difficult to expect your children to be honest, and teach them to lie.  They get so confused.

I most definitely agree with that statement!

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Given that polite lies are a social norm it is hardly unusual that children are taught this.  We don't live in a society where you tell people they are ugly and smell funny, even if it is true.

Telling the truth only hurts when you tell a lie just to cover-up or conceal the truth. If an individual asked you whether he/she was ugly, it's okay to tell the truth; only because beauty can be found within. I firmly believe if you seek honesty from others then others should be able to obtain honesty from you as well.,

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Telling the truth can certainly hurt if you really do think the person is ugly, and say so, and they are insulted.  Not everyone things everyone is always beautiful.

5. Joy56 profile image66
    Joy56posted 12 years ago

no but maybe if we met someone who smelt funny was ugly or something, better to say nothing......

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not answering a direct question on this would be a lie of omission and also kind of impolite.

2. Menjia_Rose profile image60

Maybe they aren't aware or might be seeing who will be honset enough to say something about it...real people do real things, fake people do fake things. I have told many young females that they had a strange fishy odor and for them to get a check up for a possible STD. It's no harm in pulling someone to the side and making them aware of their BO, infact I think it's the right thing to do.

6. profile image62
    win-winresourcesposted 12 years ago

When you lie to someone, you devalue them.  You are saying that they are just not worth even the simple truth.  Children should certainly not be taught to lie.    They can be taught to be courteous and forgiving.

Being honest, however,  does not mean that you should feel obliged to comment on everyone's looks, smells, taste or whatever.  Silence can be an effective response and is far too underrated.

By the way, lies are lies regardless of color and size.

I truly agree, only when asked. When someone ask for your honest opinion, shall it be given in truth. No matter what, the best part of answering a question is knowing  that the truthfulness will not stop how you feel towards the individual asking the question.

7. Beth100 profile image68
    Beth100posted 12 years ago

A lie is a lie.  Not telling the truth is a lie.  There is no gray area when it comes to lying.  Either, you are honest or you are a liar.  If you tell your children to lie for ANY reason, then you are teaching them to become liars.  They will lie to you, themselves and everyone around them. 

No.  Never.  Ever.  Teach. A. Child. To. Lie.  No. Exceptions.  >.<

8. theridehome profile image60
    theridehomeposted 12 years ago

new here, and this topic sparked my interest...
    i would love to teach my little one to NEVER lie, but the truth of the matter is, he will learn on his own when and when not to lie. we ALL lie, shouldn't we mitigate the whole situation by teaching our children how serious some lies can be?

i did not eat the last cupcake lie is < sorry but we forgot where we embezzled the 4.5 million dollar pensions fund to

Lol:), We all tell lies because it's a lesson from life we've come to adopt...The Government Officials Lie, Judges Lie, Police Officers lie...a very clear cut point you've made

9. Juls2 profile image60
    Juls2posted 12 years ago

One does not need to teach a child to lie, they'll do it anyway.  We did as kids to get ourselves or a pal out of trouble if we'd got up to any mischief, we'd have a story lined up if caught and none of our parents taught us to do that.

I told my kids, if they do the same (get up to some mischief and have a back-up story ready that is),  if ever caught out, it's best just to cut the crap and own up - 'cause I will always find out, and I always do.  Tell one little lie and it catches up on you. 

So, no, we should not get our kids to lie for us.

10. michememe profile image60
    michememeposted 12 years ago

A lie is a lie. There is no such thing as big or small, white, black or yellow lie. When the truth is not being stated it's a lie. I find it better to teach my children to say nothing, than to lie for me. If a person ask you a question about your mother simply say, I don't discuss my mother. This way it doesn't have children deciding is this moment a lie should be told. This is what I was brought up on. Not to discuss things that have no direct impact on me, so this will keep me from lying. My family as a whole taught me, we don't discuss family business, except with family.

Well said. smile

1. michememe profile image60
        michememeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)