Anyone see the Pinterest Button? That's great. Thanks HP!

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

If you don't know what Pinterest is, it's a site where you pin other people's stuff. It's like sharing but I was told not to share my own stuff. I share yours and you share mine sort of thing. HP has added the "pin it" button from Pinterest!

1. Xenonlit profile image60
      Xenonlitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

OOOH. Thanks for this notice.

Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Welcome smile

2. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, you should always ask for sources then!

as officially, Pinterest is THE EXACT OPPOSITE of what you have just shared.

"You acknowledge and agree that you are solely responsible for all Member Content that you make available through the Site, Application and Services. Accordingly, you represent and warrant that: (i) you either are the sole and exclusive owner of all Member Content that you make available through the Site, Application and Services or you have all rights, licenses, consents and releases that are necessary to grant to Cold Brew Labs the rights in such Member Content, as contemplated under these Terms; and (ii) neither the Member Content nor your posting, uploading, publication, submission or transmittal of the Member Content or Cold Brew Labs’ use of the Member Content (or any portion thereof) on, through or by means of the Site, Application and the Services will infringe, misappropriate or violate a third party’s patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, moral rights or other proprietary or intellectual property rights, or rights of publicity or privacy, or result in the violation of any applicable law or regulation."

http://pinterest.com/about/terms/

I believe either GreekGeek or the HP Blog has pointed this out here before too

Thanks Sunforged. The last time I asked about Pinterest, someone did mention what I stated, I haven't started pinning yet so I guess I haven't done anything wrong. I was just invited in a week ago but thought I would get to know the sight better first.

The reason I was so excited is that people have reported great success getting traffic from the site.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

...by stealing other people's photos!  The site's rules make no sense - they say you can only post images you have a right to, but you're not supposed to pin your own stuff (which are the only images you have a right to).

That is really ridiculous! Have they thought their rules through? After reading what Sunforged posted I am a bit deflated!

2. Greekgeek profile image77
    Greekgeekposted 12 years ago

Oh...my...goodness.

Well, I guess that big shiny button means anyone has permission to pin our photos, eh? At least, that's what it implies.

I suggest people search Twitter for "pinterest copyright" to see a quite lively conversation on what this means for our content.

1. Judi Bee profile image90
      Judi Beeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And Greekgeek is perhaps too modest to mention it, but she has written an excellent hub on the subject of Pinterest and copyright, which is well worth reading.

3. ElizaDoole profile image81
    ElizaDooleposted 12 years ago

With a name like "Greekgeek" I just have to go and have a read. Thanks for the heads up Judi.

4. GinnyLee profile image88
    GinnyLeeposted 12 years ago

I think it is fabulous!  I am excited to see how Pinterest grows this year.

5. Cyndi10 profile image85
    Cyndi10posted 12 years ago

That's great news. Pinterest research is on my to do list today. It's my understanding you need to be invited to join. I need to revisit Greekgeek's hub about it. Linkedin also had a great article on this week.

You leave your email and they will send you the invite. It take a couple of days for them to respond but it's pretty easy to sign up, you can connect with Facebook.

Google now has a similar "Pin it" thing, mostly attached to YouTube.

6. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

I haven't seen the Pinterest button yet, but I have heard that is is here. I have looked all over the pages and don't see the big red button. Maybe I am missing it and it could be it is to early in the morning. smile

1. sunforged profile image70

I saw it earlier, but it does seem to be gone now!

Sunforged, Julianna is just messing with me lol

and I see you are messing with me too....I can take a joke!

1. sunforged profile image70

I really couldnt see it back when I posted, I even did a page source search for "pinterest" which should be included in the script for the button.

and that is the Pinterest terms of service, i posted.

ill go see if the button returned

it has

Thanks for the clarification Sunforged, I should have checked the facts myself smile

7. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 12 years ago

I still see it on my hubs.

Don't pay them any mind Sofs, it's still there, they are just messing around...lol

1. AEvans profile image71
        AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The case of the missing pin, reappeared suddenly! lololo! Good morning! big_smile

Hey girl, how was your Valentine's Day?

8. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

I find Pinterest scary. Reminds me of Dawn of the Dead where the zombies are fighting to get into the shopping Mall.

9. LuisEGonzalez profile image76
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

The PinIt Button just appeared today so far as I know. I do believe that SimeyC wrote a forum post a couple of days ago which gathered a good supply of interest.

1. oceansnsunsets profile image83
      oceansnsunsetsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am curious to see that link if you have it.  I would like to know what HubPages staff thinks of the issues we have brought up also, regarding the contradictions of the site itself, and how we on HubPages get around those issues.  I am sure they have thought it through fully, since the button is at the top of every hub here.  It may allay some concerns, so that people don't have to feel like they may have to get rid of hubs to avoid the concerns they have about Pinterest and their private property of photos.   

Maybe people don't mind, in essence, trading their photos for the little bit of money they get from the views? I guess that is the bottom line in a sense?

1. Aficionada profile image80
        Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jason's response, here: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/93163

10. Greekgeek profile image77
    Greekgeekposted 12 years ago

Why do I feel like the lemming standing at the top of the cliff with paws raised going, "Uh, guys, can we think about this a sec...?"

Pinterest is good for self-promotion...except, of course, they discourage self-promotion.

Pinterest's Terms of Use warn that you MUST be the sole owner of content you post or have the legal rights to it...except, of course, they're encouraging everyone to share whatever they like on the web.

The contradictions are making my head explode, and the result -- which appears to be crowdsourcing of copyright violations -- distresses me.

The "Pin It" button gives visitors explicit, visible permission and encouragement to copy our work. But....but... maybe I don't want to give that permission, after careful consideration of how Pinterest works?

I know that most people don't mind at all, and are happy to have their work pinned, but what about those few of us who prefer to have some say in which of our images are copied and made available to third parties for commercial use?

That's what confused me. I was told that I could share other people's stuff. I haven't started pinning yet though.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Me too.

3. GinnyLee profile image88
      GinnyLeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is odd.  Why give bloggers the "Pin It" code to add a button to their blogs (even HP) unless they wanted visitors to share the pages they found?

If they really only wanted the owners of the page/image to share it, then that "Pin It" code is pointless.

It will be interesting to see how the legal system address these issues.

4. oceansnsunsets profile image83

Greekgeek, I share your same concerns.  You make great points, and you are not alone. We do all need to think about it.

11. K9keystrokes profile image85
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

Ginnylee wrote a hub about Pinerest as well. Included is a video on how it actually physically works. I noticed the "pin" button at the top  of the page beside twitter and FB tools.

12. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

I don't think its a great mystery. They encourage whatever will make their site grow quick and fast and write the TOS to cover all the bases.

like, .. lol

They didn't miss a thing!

The self promotion part:

"Avoid Self Promotion

Pinterest is designed to curate and share things you love. If there is a photo or project you’re proud of, pin away! However, try not to use Pinterest purely as a tool for self-promotion."

Is in etiquette, which is far less important than Terms of Service which you agree to.

I really don't see how that is being translated to "dont pin your own stuff" I'm not personally discouraged by that sentence.. to means, it means don't be a boring, pushy marketer.

I follow one person who shares nothing but images from their boutique shop, the images are all beautiful in their own right, the products are attractive and I intentionally follow them because I like the products and the images.But, I would be pretty bored to see a stream of Hubpages pins that didn't have the same standard of aesthetic beauty!

I intend to purchase some items as a result of this exposure!

Are they sharing images they have a right to share, yes! Are they promoting images they have a self interest, yes! Would any rational person feel like this was a breach of etiquette, doubt it! Why, because its good! (and they could very well have other boards that have different sources, I wouldn't bother to check)

http://www.copyblogger.com/pinterest-marketing/

You know, Ginny Lee's hub is quite good: http://ginnylee.hubpages.com/hub/Drive- … -Pinterest

That demographic information is very important.

It will be interesting to see how it all turns out, Pinterest has been highlighted in Marketing sites as the next feeding frenzy for a few months now, but even when I look at the "everything" tab, I don't see many unattractive shares and my personal feed (of other's pins) is a treat to my eyes. Unpopular pins will just sit dormant in their boards, so P wont even need heavy moderating if it does get overwrought with crappy submitters.

Its a pretty slick system.

But, for example ... look at this board:

http://pinterest.com/simeycook/best-of-hubpages/

Not really popping with beauty is it! (the text could be awesome, but who cares, thats not what users come for)

compared to:

http://pinterest.com/enid/objects/

which is mostly commercial art objects, notice how the user actually takes the the time to caption and credit. Pinterest will be the easiest one to pick out the spammers, you will be able to SEE it right away!

13. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

I visited Pinterest, curious to see what the hooplah was all about.  I agree that visually it is quite attractive; at least, the segment I saw was attractive.

But I didn't see anything that would interest me enough to click to an article or sales page.  I'll have to check out the demographics - maybe I don't fit.  But also, I think there are some people who are less visually oriented than others are, and I believe I am one of them.

14. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

I have no Pinterest at this time

1. viryabo profile image94
      viryaboposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Me neither, at least not until they sort themselves out.

15. oceansnsunsets profile image83
    oceansnsunsetsposted 12 years ago

We make such a great effort on our hubs, and are encouraged to do so, to give credit for pictures, and to put if they are public domain, or where we got them, etc.  If our photos our our own from our own hard work, they can now end up on pinterest, and there they are easy to take for personal use.  Our content here, on if they are our own photos or not, or from another source, is not listed there.

It is the brightest and most obvious button also, at the top there along with the Twitter, +1, and Facebook like. 

Curious what photographers, or anyone on HubPages think of all of this?  At least before, if people took your photos, they knew they were taking it from someone's personal property, intellectual or otherwise. 

Also, I get copyright violations from time to time on Hubpages, if I use my own photo on say my own Google blog, but with different information.   Isn't this only generating more problems like this, on top of taking other people's photos?

16. DonnaCosmato profile image89
    DonnaCosmatoposted 12 years ago

Thanks for posting this thread, Cardisa! Greekgeek's hub is extremely informative as well. Based on what I'm reading here and the information in Greekgeek's hub, I've deleted most of my boards and may close my account. Thanks again for a lively discussion that raised my awareness of the pros and cons of this subject:)

1. oceansnsunsets profile image83

I am concerned that Hubpages is so silent on this so far? 

I could be mistaken, but there are huge issues brought up, and just silence.  If I am mistaken, I would be happy to stand corrected.  What exactly is worth all this risk, and possibility of hubbers removing their hubs and closing accounts over it? 

Hope I am corrected soon.  If not, it seems that concerns presented are valid and warranted.  Which I would find very disappointing.

17. stephhicks68 profile image86
    stephhicks68posted 12 years ago

I'm wondering how Pinterest is any different than Facebook, RedGage, Digg, StumbleUpon, FriendFeed, etc. where thumbnails of articles are included.

Pinterest merely uses a larger visual to connect the person viewing the image back to the site where the image is published.  Its a way to say, "hey, look at this," directing people back to the original site, if they choose to go there. If not, repinning the photograph is not, in my opinion, any different than re-tweeting, voting up or "liking" a link to an article, which often includes a representative image.

People that use the boards on Pinterest are no more making use of the images for their own personal gain (self-promotion of their articles and photographs aside) than those who put up links/thumbnails on any other social media site.

18. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

Good post, Stephhicks! Not that I expect everyone to agree. But these discussions are an interesting way to learn about how sharing works across the Internet.

1. stephhicks68 profile image86
      stephhicks68posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!  I have been thinking about this quite a bit.  Many people use images as a way to promote material via social media.  I am not saying I'm right, but I do have an opinion on this.  Interesting to see where the debate goes.  smile

19. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

The difference would be Pinterest doesnt create a Thumbnail ( a smaller/lower resolution image that has often been deemed a fair use act), it copies a full size image allows the caption to be overwritten, stores a copy on their own server and offers an embed option to place the image on other locations (it does link back to the original source in the embed)

Thats the difference.

With some sort of small watermark on your original image, its a great promotion tool, I like it and am sharing my original art and photography happily .. just not from images posted at HubPages as they do not allow this basic and needed protection.

To someone who has a stake in their original imagery, Its more akin to an article directory copying your entire article and linking back to you then a simple bookmark

1. Aficionada profile image80
      Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this explanation and the analogy.  That expands understanding of the issues.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)