Have all the great novels been written?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (25 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Gracie Sophiaposted 13 years ago

What makes a great novel?

1. Chaotic Chica profile image61
      Chaotic Chicaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe they are all gone.  The makings of a great novel, in my opinion, are multi-faceted.  It must have a strong story line, easy flow, the ability to engage while challenge, and the unique abilty to deliver a poignant message disguised as a delicous read.  Many of the great novels were not considered great at the time.

2. Sassypoetic profile image60
      Sassypoeticposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh no! believe me when I tell you that .. One of the best, and one to be remembered is definitely on the way.. Yes INDEED.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am still waiting for some great novel form people here at HubPages, I think the greatness of a novel depends upon the times, people preferences changes through time and what maybe  a great novel now will not be one many years from now, some becomes  great novel of all time.

4. Uriel profile image71
      Urielposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would have to say The mercy thompson series by Patricia Briggs http://search.4shared.com/q/1/mercy%20thompson  it is a series  (fiction)

the mortal instruments Cassandra Clare http://search.4shared.com/q/1/the%20mor … nstruments

Vampire academy http://search.4shared.com/q/1/vampire%20academy

5. profile image0
      setarehposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Engaging characters and a strong plot . . . i hope all the great stories aren't already written. If that was so, my writing is quite a waste of time!

2. bill yon profile image72
    bill yonposted 13 years ago

my answer to that would have to be NO.What makes a great novel?Great writers with great imagination.

3. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I try not to call it a novel, because that intimidates me.  So I call it a "fiction series" which I am writing right here on hubpages called "Thirty Years Alone" and I'm on Chapter 8.  Whether or not it qualifies as "great"? I don't know, plus, it is turning into a mystery now.  But there can never be an end to novels because every writer has some great experiences to tell about - and novels are just story-telling anyway, which we humans will never stop doing.

4. Jeff Berndt profile image73
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

No. Some of them have been dictated.

5. UniqueBeauty profile image61
    UniqueBeautyposted 13 years ago

of course not- my novel has not been finished being written!!! How can all the great novels be written if mine aren't even written??? Absurd.

*lol*

1. christopherchance profile image59
      christopherchanceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A new day dawns... another story begins.

6. chigoiyke profile image60
    chigoiykeposted 13 years ago

I tend to be bi-polar here because the environment, psych & work used in great old publications are sharply different from what is obtainable now. We now have various distractions (if you understand what I mean). No answer yet - for me.

7. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

Yes they have - our society has no future in its sights at the moment, except the same old same old, and so novels now are inevitably only old stuff in new ways - when a new direction for society comes (if the Religious fanatics don't pull us back to the middle ages) new novels will come with it.

1. chigoiyke profile image60
      chigoiykeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lol at "religious fanatics dont pull us back to the middle of ages"

8. M. T. Dremer profile image84
    M. T. Dremerposted 13 years ago

A lot of great novels of today borrow things from older great novels, but it isn't a new thing. Older novels still borrowed things from earlier stories, it's just that those weren't as well documented so we tend not to know about them and therefore the great novel is the first source of that type of story. So I definitely think that there are endless great novels to be written, but as we get better with maintaining our written history, people will start to notice these great novels less because they will assume they are all rip-offs of earlier novels. Kind of like the movie Avatar and how people can't seem to get over how similar it is to dances with wolves.

9. Aussieteacher profile image65
    Aussieteacherposted 13 years ago

I am sure not.  Writers who have creative juices will always find another story - and as technology and the world changes, new ideas will come to the fore.

10. jonihnj profile image68
    jonihnjposted 13 years ago

Ah, Unique Beauty has stolen my thunder! But seriously, we each have a perspective on the world that is unlike any other person's perspective. I taught an English Composition class once and was amazed how 20-odd students could take the same assignment question and develop radically different essays. Some responses were funny, some poignant, some thought-provoking and, I'm sorry to say, some quite dull.

The elements of good storytelling never change - solid characters, a central question or quest, a bit of tension or challenge to overcome, and then the resolution. I'd say this is true of fiction and nonfiction. What always changes is the experiences, the unique voice, that each author brings to his or her work.

This is one reason why I often grow tired of serial books or genre books that strictly follow a formula. I'll enjoy them for a while, but then they can grow tiresome and formulaic if the author is lazy or fears altering a winning formula. That's probably the genius of J.K. Rowling. "Harry Potter" was uniquely her own character - a character she imagined and owned. And because she was a writer who had no qualms about taking risks with a hugely successful formula, she wrote a series of books unlike any other in the "wizard" genre. She did this by introducing plot twists that upset readers (e.g., killing off well-liked characters). Did it upset her fan base? Absoutely. But it also kept her readers on their toes, waiting for the next "Harry Potter" book to appear. Now I'm not saying "Harry Potter" is necessarily representative of great literature, but I do appreciate the way it engaged young readers like few other books have and yet will also appeal to adult readers. It helped a lot of parents bond in a shared reading experience with their kids. How many authors can do that?

In addition to the special qualities of the author, changes in audience over their lifetimes or throughout time itself (decades and decades) also matter. Think of how many great novels were considered failures when they first appeared, only to be appreciated years and years later. Or think about books you've read in high school and hated, but then appreciated immensely reading them as adults.

Some authors have the gift of writing timeless novels. For example, my favorite American author is Mark Twain. I think his writing appeals to readers of any generation and during any period in history. I've read "Huckleberry Finn" countless times. Each time I read it, I delight in the author's word choices, the humor, and the profound underlying message the book delivers. I always find something new to ponder, catch a small surprise I hadn't noticed before. It's a book that grows along with you - read it as an adolescent and you enjoy it on the surface - a character similar in age to yourself handling tricky challenges, scary experiences, and sometimes funny situations. As an adult reader, you admire the way the author presents a searing indictment of racism and slavery by use of sly humor. My favorite phrase in that book? "Human beings can be awful cruel to one another." This is the book's bottom-line message,and  probably because it's spoken by a child, we're caught off guard, so it really strikes a chord and perhaps puts us to shame. If the book had been written any other way, when it first appeared, I'm sure it would have been banned. So here is a great example of how the author's voice, style, regional experiences and especially use of humor to approach subject matter really made a difference.

YOU can make the same difference, because when you write YOUR book, you will bring a bit of yourself into it - whether or not you deliberately indend to do so.

Good luck (and sorry for rambling on)!

11. Richard Craig profile image59
    Richard Craigposted 13 years ago

I hope they haven't been written already, otherwise I might as well give up on mine!  Maye the literature matures as time passes?

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I bought all the copies already and you don't even know it!

12. Lex O. Ebubediogo profile image60
    Lex O. Ebubediogoposted 13 years ago

i don't think they are all gone. here in Africa briliant new minds are bumpint out the box. like Chima Amanda. I'm working on a pretty stuff too. i think great novels are just cooking

13. Ron Montgomery profile image59
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

No, but the next great one will be written by an infinite number of monkeys...

14. lilidauphin profile image60
    lilidauphinposted 13 years ago

They have not been written already. There are so many great stories and ideas that are waiting to explode. The great novels have just began. I have one in my head right now as we speak. lol.

15. Hypersapien profile image42
    Hypersapienposted 12 years ago

Not by a long shot.  I seem to recall back in high school, they told us about someone in the 1800s making a statement that everything worthwhile had already been invented.  Imagine if people had bouth into that and just stopped trying to be innovative right then and there:  no computers; no airplanes; no video games; no digital cameras, no xerox machines (do they even call them that any more?); etc.

Likewise with novels.  Imagine if everyone had just stopped trying to write new novels even 20 years ago:  no Harry Potter; no Da Vinci Code; no Twilight.  Bottom line:  there will always be another great novel - quite possibly from someone in this forum.

16. hildred profile image74
    hildredposted 12 years ago

If all the great novels had already been written, then there would be no point in us (used generally) continuing to try to write one. Authors everywhere may as well put down their pens and shut down their word processors - everyone pack it up and go home.

There may be only so many types of stories to tell, but we will never run out of ways to tell them. World circumstances are constantly changing, and what was once a classic may not be as relevant and relatable today as it was when it first came out. That doesn't mean we can't appreciate them, learn from them, and be inspired by them, but it's pretty much human drive at this point to always attempt to better and expand on something.

17. Nickalooch profile image59
    Nickaloochposted 12 years ago

It's hard to say anything that you write now will be original. It's all about your unique take on a genre/story and so on. Characters above all else are the most important thing if you ask me though. Create engaging and powerful characters, then the rest will come.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)