In law question

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (16 posts)
  1. cardelean profile image86
    cardeleanposted 12 years ago

I have never posted "personal" questions in the forum before but this one really leaves me speechless (which I have to say is hard to do!)

My brother in law and sister in law are expecting their first child any day now (they were due on Feb. 29th).  They live in Florida and my in laws live in here in Michigan.  My in laws have plane tickets purchased to go and visit them for March 12-21.

This is a quote from an email I just received from her.

'Would it be offensive or hurtful to ask (mother in law) to move back the visit a couple weeks? I'm sure it will be a pain for her to rearrange schedules of physical therapy and other obligations, but I'm most worried about her interpreting it as we don't want her here. (When really, I'm so happy for her to be here, I'm just feeling very protective over having at least a week for (husband/dad), me and the baby to bond, adjust, and recover before guests.)'

Other information: 
    Her entire family lives relatively close to her in FL.
    My husband's family is a very traditional ethnic family.

Soooo, I'm wondering if you were placed in this situation what would you say????

1. rlaha profile image60
      rlahaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi cardelean:  This is a bit of a sticky situation isn't it? While I do understand that the new parents want to bond with the baby, I do not know if they thought about the new grandparents. I mean, they already have their plane tickets, and are all set to come visit the new parents.  I wonder if your sister in law realizes that there might be a heavy fee to change/cancel the tickets?  I think that they should have thought about that thoroughly through before letting them buy the tickets.  That is what I would talk with her about first.  Then go from there.  Good luck.  Hope it all works out smoothly.

1. gregas profile image80
        gregasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There is also the possibility of a little resentment on the part of his parents because her parents are already there and they probably won't be asked to stay away. And because of the inconvienience and possible extra expense, as rlaha brought up, and possible heartache, I would just deal with the plans as they are set. My opinion, Greg

1. teaches12345 profile image77
          teaches12345posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree with rlaha in that to make travel changes at this point would be costly. Also, making changes in schedule for therapy may cost as well.  There may be some resentment on the part of his parents and this is somewhat understandable when a new baby is in the family. I would try to make everyone as welcome as possible and make whatever adjustments I needed to do to make all feel at home.

1. rlaha profile image60
            rlahaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I also agree with gregas where there might be some resentment if things were changed now.  Hopefully things will be alright when they come. Hopefully they don't have to pay too much to change flights if worse comes to worse.

2. Monisajda profile image59
    Monisajdaposted 12 years ago

I don't know what I would do in your situation but I understand your sister in law. Some people like to experience the birth of their baby and learn the parenting ropes without someone supervising them. If this is their first, they are feeling your mom would be trying to teach them a few things perhaps and that may not be what they want. When I had my first baby I felt the same way. I wanted to have time to bond first, learn on my own mistakes before I wanted to meet other people.

I think it would be wise to give them that extra time to get used to a new role of parents and not visit too soon. When they have the second baby they may want the help immediately, having a toddler and a baby is a different cup of tea.

3. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 12 years ago

Hi, cardelean.  smile

First, I would mention to your sister-in-law that ultimately, it is HER decision about how to handle the visit.  If you believe your mother-in-law might be offended or hurt, there would be nothing wrong with truthfully answering your sister-in-law that there's that possibility.  In the end, though, the decision (and its consequence) is between them.  You may only answer her as truthfully and delicately as possible without suggesting an action.

That's my take, anyway.

4. Brainy Bunny profile image91
    Brainy Bunnyposted 12 years ago

Why not remind your sister-in-law that your in-laws will be able to help her around the house while she is bonding with the baby? That's what I did with my first baby. My parents cleaned the basement, my sister organized my closets, my father-in-law built the nursery furniture, and my mother-in-law cooked. I slept, nursed, and cooed at the baby for the whole first week (except when it was time for me to take a shower, and believe me, I was sooo grateful for extra hands then!).

1. gregas profile image80
      gregasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a good idea BB, when the family arrive hand them their to-do list. When they complete the list, then they can hold the baby. (I said that in fun.) But I do believe the help would be appreciated. Greg

2. teaches12345 profile image77
      teaches12345posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great suggestion Brainy Bunny. The extra help is a plus. You would be surprised at how a baby can deter normal household activity and having extra hands around the house will give the new mother and father peace of mind.

5. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

Good ideas and insights all around, here.

I remember so well how unprepared I was for how much help I would need - and appreciate! - with my first.  And with all my other babies too; but after the first I was more aware of it.

One other thing to remind her about (yes, as tactfully as possible) is that her own family will have more opportunities, lifelong, to get to see and help her and the baby.  Since the in-laws' tickets are already purchased, it would be very difficult and expensive (well beyond inconvenient) for them to make a change now.

The best idea, I think, is for her to do some pre-thinking about areas she would prefer to keep to herself. (For me, it was the task of putting things away in the kitchen; I didn't mind others doing it, as long as they asked me where things should go instead of putting them away in the wrong place, thinking that I would eventually find everything and put it where I wanted it.  It would have helped my own attitude a lot if I had said early on, "If you're not sure where it goes, please leave the item on the counter while I'm napping; then when I'm awake I can tell you where it belongs.")

Also, if the baby is now about a week past its due date, it could be close to a week old when the in-laws arrive (per their current plan); she'll know by that time how much and what kind of help she will need and appreciate.  But even if the baby delays another full week from today, if it is a brand-new neonate when the in-laws arrive, the mom will probably be much more exhausted than she realizes now - and will appreciate their help.

Encourage her to start now to make her Brainy Bunny list of things the in-laws can do to help.

6. SmartAndFun profile image95
    SmartAndFunposted 12 years ago

There are all kinds of mothers-in-law. I have seen and been jealous of the mother-in-law who comes in and starts cooking dinners, vacuuming, mopping, doing laundry, freezing casseroles and running out to the store for nursing pads, diapers and ice cream.

I have also seen the know-it-all meddlesome MIL who takes over, does everything with the baby her way regardless of the wishes of the parents, and basically tells the new parents they're silly and wrong, making them resentful and angry.

Then there's the MIL who plants herself on the couch and wants her hosts to entertain her. When she realizes that's not going to happen, she rifles through their library and finds a week's worth of reading material, never bothering to lift a finger or lend a hand around the house. She is happy to hang out but is not really there to help.

So the answer depends the plane tickets and hurt feelings, etc, etc, but also on what type of MIL the new parents have on their hands, and what type of relationship the new parents have with her.

P.S. I would love a helpful MIL, but I'm not sure I want anyone cleaning out my basement or especially my closets.

7. cardelean profile image86
    cardeleanposted 12 years ago

Thank you everyone for your responses.  You all have some very great ideas.  I know from experience (as I have children already) that my mother in law is not going there to judge or give advice.  It is truly in her nature to want to help in any way that she can along with spend time with her new granddaughter.

I do believe that there will be very hurt feelings because of many of the reasons already stated.  They already have their tickets purchased, they will not have as many opportunities to visit as the other side of the family, plus my MIL attends physical therapy that has already been rescheduled, and just a general feeling of being shut out. 

Thanks for the suggestions...

8. Moms-Secret profile image76
    Moms-Secretposted 12 years ago

My mother being there allowed me to sleep with my baby as she slept.  I didn't have to worry about much at all.  Since I breast fed, I had optimal bonding time.  The baby had plenty of bonding time with daddy too.  They sleep in such small spurts that there is plenty of bonding time to go around.  I think that it is more of an inconvenience for mother in law to rearrange all the plans she has made then it is for new parents to schedule a little grandparent bonding time.

9. SmartAndFun profile image95
    SmartAndFunposted 12 years ago

I guess another matter is how the trip originally came to be planned. Did the new parents invite the grandparents out and suggest an arrivial date, and now they are reneging? If that is the case, the new parents need to suck it up and deal with the company they invited. Or did the granparents purchase the tickets and rearrange their schedules without first running it by the new parents to see if that would work for them? Or maybe it was planned mutually, somewhere inbetween the two extremes. Ugh, this is a sticky situation! ::sweats::

1. cardelean profile image86
      cardeleanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes it is a sticky situation.  It was always understood (from the beginning) that they would visit shortly after the baby was born.  My distinct understanding is that this date was agreed upon but unfortunately on the new parents' part with the assumption that she would arrive relatively on time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)