Do you get traffic from your own subdomain?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (22 posts)
  1. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Since the change to our own subdomains I've paid attention to the amount of traffic coming from my own subdomain.  While HP traffic has dropped of course, the figures from my own hubs have surprised me.  Readers are hopping through my hubs more than I ever thought they would.

I typically see around 10% of my views coming from my subdomain.  What percentage do most hubbers get?  What would you consider a good number?

1. Jason Marovich profile image87
      Jason Marovichposted 12 years agoin reply to this

About 7% all-time.

wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.  I had not thought about all time views because my account predates the subdomains, but it is a good indication for those that joined later.

2. janderson99 profile image55
      janderson99posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mine is 2%.

Thanks, janderson99.

1. janderson99 profile image55

I used last month's traffic sources for my sub, divided by the views for the month (from the account summary list) as a %. Is this what you wanted? I think the results will very much depend on whether the author is specific or broad in terms of the topics covered. I cover a very broad range, matches my anatomy.

Yes, that's exactly what I wanted to see.  Traffic from "jaderson99" dot hubpages dot com divided by total views and expressed as a % value.  A month should give a pretty good value.

I agree, a subdomain with a few well defined niches should show more views than one with a wide variety of subjects and not many of any one kind.  It would seem that interlinking between very different hubs (if allowed by HP) would not see many click throughs to the second hub.  Only hubs that are of a similar nature could expect to see visitors bounding through 2 or more hubs.

1. janderson99 profile image55

A narrower topic will also increase the chances of a similar hub appeared in the 'related hubs' list. Higher number of followers links to this as hubbers are more likely to look at the 'related hubs' list. I also think its related to whether most of your traffic is derived internally or from Google etc.

Oh sure.  I'm sure those related hubs are partially based on the category you have assigned; multiple hubs in the same category will likely show up there, while hubs in different categories probably won't.

Don't know about hubbers looking at that list, though - I seldom do.  And that, of course, indicates that NO hubber does! big_smile

3. SimeyC profile image89
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mine is about 10% - but I do have quite a few 'index' hubs - for example I have Guinness Recipes hub with about 15 links to different recipes - and similar for other 'collections' so I would expect to see some traffic from my sub-domain.

Don't forget - if you use the group function correctly  - you're other hubs could be showing up on the right of the main hub and therefore would get traffic that way.

Yes, that's true - I often see my own hubs there.  In addition HP provides the "round robin" link at the bottom for a group.

4. Dale Hyde profile image80
      Dale Hydeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mine is right at 10 percent and stays that way consistently.

2. aka-dj profile image64
    aka-djposted 12 years ago

My daily views went up quite considerably lately, but I can't honestly trace it back to the subdomain changeover.
    It started several weeks after. hmm
    Maybe there was a time lag. Who knows?

3. andyoz profile image86
    andyozposted 12 years ago

Mine are also at about 10%, sometimes they are even higher than that.  I suppose it's partly due to the fact that I link quite a lot of my Hubs together.

I think you're right.  I interlink my hubs quite heavily, plus provide an RSS feed on each one.  They are also grouped and HP provides more links between hubs because of that.

I was hoping for more response, trying to get handle on what is normal for HP.  If most hubbers are getting more, maybe I need to rethink my strategy.

4. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Mine is about 10% too, but very few of my hubs contain links to my other hubs.

Now that's interesting - without links how does your subdomain produce traffic?  Thoughts?

5. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

What figures are you using to calculate?  Monthly, Ever?  'Ever' wouldn't be accurate if we've been here before subdomains were introduced.

1. SimeyC profile image89
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I used monthly - seems a better indicator than weekly or daily!

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I used the last 30 days and it was 2%.  I would have to take a good look at analytics to see if grouped hubs were generating traffic.

So far we have 2% and 10%.  Is no one in between?

2. wilderness profile image96

No, "ever" would not work well - newer hubbers of even several months or a year won't have much in the way or organic traffic for the first few months and that would distort the percentage.  Plus, as you say, many of us could have year(s) of traffic with NO subdomain traffic.

A better indicator would be the 30 day column.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)