What is your traditional lunch?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (20 posts)
  1. charmike4 profile image66
    charmike4posted 11 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6418143_f248.jpg
    In South Australia our traditional lunch is the pasty.  Pasties are made from white vegetables such as potato, leek, turnip and onion with some meat diced into very small pieces and then covered in light pastry.  They are usually covered in tomato (ketchup) sauce and served hot.

Pasties are a great food for the Football or a quick meal on the run. Today I am on holidays and working aroungd the house so a pasty was the best way to go! Originally pasties were created in Cornwall for miners so that the pastry would protect the meat and vegetables in one end and the cream and jam in the other end. The pastry wasn't meant to be eaten. Because Cornish miners came to Australia in the 19th century this tradition has become a part of SA.

What is your favourite traditional meal for lunch in your house?

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They sound like Cornish pasties, traditional snack grub in England, or bridies from Scotland.
      Yum!

charmike4posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very similar, but the pastry is a lot lighter. We get some really good Cornish Pasties from the Copper Triangle are of SA - this area was founded by Cornish Copper miners in the 19th Century and their baking traditions continue to this day.

2. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 11 years ago

Whatever is in the fridge/freezer at the time! big_smile I do love pasties but rarely have them at home.

What's your favourite brand WryLilt? I have always preferred Balfours over Vilis, but as you can see I had a Vilis today.

I'm with you, I'd rather have one fresh from the pie warmer than zapped in the microwave.

1. WryLilt profile image89
        WryLiltposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like them fresh from the bakery.

3. jpcmc profile image88
    jpcmcposted 11 years ago

In the philippines it's always with rice.  But some of the favorite viands here include Adobo and Sinigang.

I have noticed in asia people also have rice for breakfast. In Langkawi last year I had a Rendang curry for breakfast - it was spicy and delicious!
      Is Adobo & Sinigang spicy?

1. jpcmc profile image88
        jpcmcposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There are a hundreds of recipes for adobo.  It can either be pork, chicken or combination.  The meat is usually stewed in soy sauce and vinegar.  So you get a salty and somewhat vinegary taste.  It's great with fried rice.  As for Sinigang, it's pork in tamarind soup.  Lots of veggies thrown in the mix as well. 

For spicy viands, nothing beats the Bicol express.  it's a delicacy served in the Bicol region (southern Luzon of the Philippines. it's practically different chillis sauted in garlic and onions.  Coconut milk is also added.  Some put small pieces of meat like pork or beef, but it's not a requirement.

4. AshtonFirefly profile image70
    AshtonFireflyposted 11 years ago

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich and some chips. Quite traditional. smile

My son, Sam, loves peanut butter and jam sandwiches and would have these all the time for lunch if I let him. The best we ever had was at the Santa Ana Zoo - as only the American's can it was a large sandwich absolutely smothered in a think layer of peanut butter and jelly - really was good.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image70
        AshtonFireflyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Awesome. Best. Sandwich. Ever. smile

2. jpcmc profile image88
      jpcmcposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't think i can survive with a sandwhich for lunch. LOL  But i do love peanuit butter and jelly.  Have you tasted guava jelly?

5. yllainehudges profile image62
    yllainehudgesposted 11 years ago

Looks delicious. Thanks for sharing though I'm not familiar but I find it interesting. smile

6. missalba profile image60
    missalbaposted 11 years ago

I'm Puerto Rican and while I don't eat it as much as I used to when I was younger, I still like to enjoy this sandwich occasionally on the weekends. My traditional lunch is a pernil sandwich: slow roasted pork shoulder with lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise on Spanish bread grilled until flat, toasty, and delicious. Yum! That's what I call a sandwich!

That sounds divine missalba. I'm going to check out some of the stores in our local food market to see if anyone is making these sandwiches in Adelaide.

7. scruffy5533 profile image61
    scruffy5533posted 11 years ago

I'm American, but I don't have a 'traditional' lunch; the 'ol melting pot, don't-cha-know. Over the last few months I've been doing the scratch made soup thing. I love soup:)

My wife makes a really good pumpkin soup during the winter months - we'll be in winter in a month or so, so I can't start enjoying this again.

8. vespawoolf profile image93
    vespawoolfposted 11 years ago

My personal traditional breakfast is muesli served with yogurt and fresh fruit for a healthful start to the day. Or, if feeling spunky, I'll have a blueberry and lemon scone.

I sometimes have this type of breakfast when I am on the road to resist the temptation of bacon & eggs!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)