49ers Sign Manningham

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

Im pretty happy with the 49ers moves this off season.  They're bringing back the starters on defense.  They have added wide recievers.  The only big question left is what they do at qb.

1. BigEd5857 profile image59
      BigEd5857posted 12 years agoin reply to this

With the additions on offense Alex could have taken them to the championship. Now if he remains, some of that camaraderie is going to be affected. "Who has it better than us? "  Peyton for 1.

2. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

Nope. Denver.

1. Jason Marovich profile image87
      Jason Marovichposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That Tebow-mania was short-lived.

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
        Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL yup. Fun while it lasted, time to move on. Nothing to see here people. Be fun to see if he develops into something in a few years though. Still an interesting story.

3. BigAK587587 profile image60
    BigAK587587posted 12 years ago

While I like this move, I think the Niners decision to re-sign Ted Ginn is gonna be crucial for our special teams and adds speed to our WR corps.

4. MarkRFox profile image59
    MarkRFoxposted 12 years ago

Only problem is they have a good receiving corp and no one to throw them the ball. Their production will suffer big time because of it.

1. Bigpayno profile image58
      Bigpaynoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

2011 Stats:  3100 yards 17TD's 5INT's and a rating over 90...with no receivers!  Alex Smith isn't the problem.  He's had a different coordinator every year.  This will be his second year under the same system, I look for him to be even better.  Now with Moss and Manningham able to spread the field and Davis working over the middle, 49ers fans should be very happy about the possibilities.  Smith threw 5TD's and no INT's during the post season as well.  The guy doesn't turn the ball over under this system.  He just needs guys to catch the ball and get open.  Edwards is a joke so that was a bad pick up, and Crabtree held out...for what?  He hasn't done anything in the NFL.

1. BigEd5857 profile image59
        BigEd5857posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, Alex is going to surprise a lot of people this year. He has obviously had his problems but overall he hes been the victim of an unstable organization. This is the year to see what Alex is about. I expect big things. I wish our season looked as promising. Raider Nation Baby! !!

5. MarkRFox profile image59
    MarkRFoxposted 12 years ago

17 touchdows for an entire season is pathetic. He threw for 13 to Davis alone a few years back. They had even worse receivers then. Make all the excuses you want for Smith, but I bet 10 pennies to a dime if you are a San Francisco fan, you were the same guy/gal cursing him and wishing he'd get the hell out of town before Harbaugh arrived. Even after, he based his success on that one playoff game. Unless you get the 2000 Ravens defense Alex Smith is just another Trent Dilfer only he doesn't have a ring. Now, because they scorned him by working out Manning, he could leave. Then what do the 49ers have? Colin Kaepernick? Good luck.

6. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

Josh Johnson is the backup.  Smith could get a ring this year.  You are right about the Dilfer comparison.  He isnt elite, but could get the job done to win a Super Bowl.  I really like the moves the niners made this off season.  Just need a right guard.

7. Bigpayno profile image58
    Bigpaynoposted 12 years ago

He's never going to be an elite QB, but he's good enough to win, which he proved this year.  17 TD's isn't pathetic when you have no receivers and you don't turn the ball over.  Being a leader is more about stats, and when he won 13 games and didn't turn the ball over, that's pretty damn good.  Nobody understands how hard it is to be a quarterback in the NFL and what goes into it, and to have a different coordinator bringing a different system each year is very difficult.  You have to look at all the variables.  Am I saying he's going to be a Brady or Manning?  Absolutely not!  But he was one game away from a Super Bowl with nothing more than a tight end to throw to.  I know he was a number one pick but he's not elite.  But he is better than what they have on the roster currently and he's better than any QB available in the draft right now in line with where the Niners will be picking.  So you have to go with Smith, and I believe he will produce better numbers this year.  I see 25 TD's this year for him.

8. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years ago
  9. jcales profile image53
    jcalesposted 12 years ago

wow they signed Manningham. I hope he has a good offensive line. Manningham notoriously drops balls too like his current receivers.

10. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

My theory is the 49ers need a new offensive coordinator. Don't care what his rep is, the 49ers had almost the worst offensive record in football last year.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)