You can leave comments on Answers!

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (78 posts)
  1. HubPages profile imageSTAFF
    HubPagesposted 12 years ago

Earlier this week we announced that it would soon be possible to leave comments on Answers. Great news- the feature is now live!

We hope you like it smile

1. Simone Smith profile image88
      Simone Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Also note that you can keep track of the number of comments people leave on your Questions' Answers by visiting your Q&A stats under My Account.

1. Joelipoo profile image76
        Joelipooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I noticed the comments on answers a little bit ago.  In a way that is excited, but at the same time it almost makes it like the forums.

1. profile image0
          Ari Lamsteinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the feedback.  There are a few differences between the Q&A section and the forum section of HubPages to keep in mind:
            1.  The Huber who asks a question has the ability to moderate the discussion.  For example, they can delete delete both answers and comments which they find objectionable.  You cannot do this in the forum section.
            2.  You can produce less content in the Q&A section.  You are only permitted one answer.  And while you are able to create as many comments as you like, there is a built in regulation: you cannot produce two comments to a single answer in a row. 

We look forward to seeing how these two sections of HubPages continue to evolve.

2. Peggy W profile image95
      Peggy Wposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is nice!  Sometimes a well thought out answer deserves a comment.  If they are made into hubs, we can always leave a comment on the hub.

Question...  Is there any way to differentiate new answers coming in from all of the old ones without having to scroll through all of them to find them?  It is a time waster to have to do the latter which is the only way I now know how to find them.

When I posed this question previously in a forum someone mentioned just checking the notifications.  With so many followers, this is also not the best way as everytime I click onto my site, there are so many.

Could each question somehow be highlighted when there are new answers so that we could find them easier?  Or a date sytem installed...something to make them stand out from the rest?

Thanks!

1. Simone Smith profile image88
        Simone Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great suggestion, Peggy W! That would be nice. Hopefully we can find a simple way of addressing that.

3. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am so happy!!!!! Thank you so much!!!! big_smile

4. vox vocis profile image82
      vox vocisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I love the feature. Great job!

5. wordscribe43 profile image89
      wordscribe43posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I do like it... I've often wanted to make a comment and now I can!  YAY!  Thanks, staff.

6. cloverleaffarm profile image68
      cloverleaffarmposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's about time. So many times, people have asked me a question, and now I can answer without having to contact each one personally. Thanks.

7. Myn Is Me profile image45
      Myn Is Meposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think it's great! Thank you!

2. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

I love it!  I was surprised when I clicked on a question and there were replies to the answers.  This is a really good idea.  Thanks for the new feature, Hubpages!

3. cascoly profile image60
    cascolyposted 12 years ago

why is the ability to comment taken away if we vote an answer up?

1. profile image0

It looks like there is a bug where as soon as you vote the "Comment" button disappears.  However, if you refresh the page you will be able to comment again.

1. cascoly profile image60
        cascolyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

also, it looks like comments are not included  either notifications nor on our profiles

1. profile image0

That is a known issue and we are working on it.

4. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 12 years ago

Thanks for adding this feature. It enriches the Questions and Answers section and should make it even more interesting than it already is.

5. travel_man1971 profile image62
    travel_man1971posted 12 years ago

This is a very interesting development. Thanks for always updating the nooks and crannies of HubPages. big_smile

6. Outbound Dan profile image95
    Outbound Danposted 12 years ago

That is a pretty cool feature and one that surely enhances the conversational quality of the question.  Great idea Hubgineers!

7. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

When is adsense going to start working for the questions? Or is it already?

1. profile image0

Sunforged,

AdSense and the HP Ads Program are both working for the Answers section.  However, it appears that there is a problem with Google Analytics.  We are working on that now.

Ari

1. Flavie Lolol profile image64
        Flavie Lololposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Really? I have not seen even a single impression coming from my questions. And whilst I can see my adsense code (by viewing page source) from my hubs, I can’t see it from my questions.

1. profile image0

Unfortunately, it looks like I misspoke.  Let me try to clarify:
            1.  In the Answers section Hubbers can receive earnings from Google AdSense.  The HP Ads Program does not run in the Answer section of the site.
            2.  There was a bug and Google Analytics was not working in the Answers section.  This has been fixed.
            3.  There was a bug and Authors were not earning money in the Answers section via Google AdSense.  This has been fixed.

We apologize for these problems.

Thank you, Ari,

I can now see the data and earnings from questions in my custom adsense channel.

This issue is now solved.

2. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Odd? I dont think I ever commented on this thread. Why was I on your mind?

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
          paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're just that kind of guy. big_smile

8. sholland10 profile image85
    sholland10posted 12 years ago

I love the new Q/A feature, and enjoy spending time there.  So many ideas floating around.

9. Just Ask Susan profile image88
    Just Ask Susanposted 12 years ago

I noticed this today and thought wow this great. Love it!

10. Shaddie profile image75
    Shaddieposted 12 years ago

Oh huzzAah! I've been wanting this feature for a while now.

11. cascoly profile image60
    cascolyposted 12 years ago

looks like replies to comments are getting cut off, but without indicating that to the person replying

eg

http://simeyc.hubpages.com/question/171 … -arguments

so many of the replies are stopped in mid sentence - if there's a limit it should be displayed and a warning issued

1. profile image0

Thank you for reporting this cascoly.  There is indeed a 250 character limit on comments to answers.  Unfortunately this limit was not displayed in the original release of the feature.  However, yesterday we released an update and it is now displayed.

12. paradigmsearch profile image61

I am watching my Adsense question directory url like a hawk!!! big_smile

1. profile image0

Me too.

I previously did not have Google Analytics or Google Adsense integrated with my HubPages Account.  I now have them integrated, and have verified that Analytics is updated for my question URLs. 

While I have not seen my AdSense account update yet for the new URL channels, I have seen my publisher ID present in the HTML source code of the page in questions, so I know that Google AdSense is at least getting the data.  I did a google search to see how long it takes for custom adsense channels to gather data, and the answer that I saw was "within 24 hours".

13. paradigmsearch profile image61

I have likewise found my adsense and analytics publisher ID's in my questions' source code. Me thinks it's time for paradigmsearch to get Q&A busy again. smile

Thanks, Ari.

14. paradigmsearch profile image61

Adsense is reporting views! Here's the syntax that is working for me:

paradigmsearch.hubpages.com/question

and   

hubpages.com/question

Where'd I put that fireworks pic...big_smile

15. paradigmsearch profile image61

I can't wait until hpads goes into effect here. Please poke us with a stick when that happens. smile

16. GmaGoldie profile image81
    GmaGoldieposted 12 years ago

Do we earn money on questions and answers? If so, where can we find the revenue detail?

Yes, we do earn revenue from questions.

1. You’ll find the revenue details in your adsense account.

2. You’d have to set a url channel called “hubpages.com” to track all revenue from Hubpages.

3. You’d have to set a url channel called “gmagoldie.hubpages.com/question/172426/favorite-story-of-an-adult-motivating-a-child” to track all revenue from that particular question.

4. You’d have to set a url channel called “gmagoldie.hubpages.com/hub/Tribute-to-Veterans” to track all revenue from that particular hub.

5. Do not include “http://” in url(s).

2. HubPages profile imageSTAFF
      HubPagesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey GmaGoldie!
      AdSense and the Stats section of Q&A under My Account are definitely the places to check stats and earnings regarding Questions. Our Learning Center entrysummarizes what's there and includes steps on setting up a URL channel for tracking earnings from Questions.

17. Howard S. profile image89
    Howard S.posted 11 years ago

Possible bug for Comments on Answers. After commenting on an Answer, I was presented with radio buttons to Delete Comment for comments written by others on other Answers. Somewhat hesitantly, I pressed one to test it, but there was no effect, fortunately. The bug is that it should not give the appearance that we can Delete Comment written by someone else.

1. profile image0
      Ari Lamsteinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for reporting this Howard.  I've created a bug report for it.

2. profile image0

Howard, I am unable to reproduce this bug.  Can you please provide additional details about how you encountered it?

1. Howard S. profile image89
        Howard S.posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'll work on it, Ari.

2. Howard S. profile image89

I saw it again, but then was unable to repeat it. I was also not writing down my steps, so lost track of one. Here's what I know:

1) Go to [which?] a) your feed or b) Your Answers.
        2) Select the title of a question which you have answered. It needs to be one with comments to an answer, but I don't know whether they need to comment your own answer (as mine did).
        3) Do something [what?] that is not within the comments to that answer.
        4) The Delete Comment button, when it does appear, will display on every comment to that answer, both others' and your own rebuttals.

Good luck. That's as far as I plan to take it.

3. Howard S. profile image89

I got it Ari (almost)! This one's got a sneaky path.

1) Go to the Notifications in your email.
        2) Select a Question that you are following.
        3) It has to be a Question to which there are Answers with Comments.
        4) You may see the "Delete Comment" button next to all Comments to all Answers, whether you wrote them or not. (I did write some, if that makes a difference.)
        5) And I was able to reproduce this about half the time, but not every time. I think I only have two emails that meet these conditions, with three references to two questions. So my data isn't big enough to debug it further.

I hope this much sets you on the right track.

Howard

1. profile image0

Thanks Howard.  This does indeed help us.

18. Melissa A Smith profile image95
    Melissa A Smithposted 11 years ago

I have been discouraged from answering future questions because a user(s) unnecessarily down-voted and removed my answers to a question that I spent time articulating.

1. Shaddie profile image75
      Shaddieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's too bad sad A few people have hidden or deleted my comments to certain controversial Hubs, but never had any trouble with the Answers articles...

1. Melissa A Smith profile image95
        Melissa A Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh yeah, definitely have had piles of unapproved comments, lol. Was planing on making a hub about it.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
          Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I doubt the general public will care smile

1. Will Apse profile image87
            Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is what happens. You hang around here too long. You get cynical. Disillusioned. You remember all the fine notions you had as a teenager. And nothing has come of it. Soon you are thinking. Enough is enough. The public is an ass. Then, you need money again. So you feed the ass. Then you wake up one day, etc etc, etc.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
              Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So, you are telling me the general public will care if a hubber disallows someone's answer to a question?

1. lrohner profile image69
                lrohnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No. He's just busy feeding his ass. smile

2. Will Apse profile image87
                Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can see questions in the press...

2. Melissa A Smith profile image95

I don't understand. I'm not making anything here anyway.
              @Uninvited Writer I'm used to that

2. gabgirl12 profile image59
      gabgirl12posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I saw that too Shaddie. I wondered if it would bring down my hub score. I asked a question, but no one seems to know.

Another concern I have is that some Hubbers will ask questions that would probably be better off here in these forums for discussion. Since the inception of comments though it's so much easier to keep track of who is answering who. And its probably easier for the Hubpages Admin to spot 'Questions' that are better in the forums.

19. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 11 years ago

I am currently unable to make a comment on an answer.  I get an error message:

"Undefined function: findAdvanced"

20. Peggy W profile image95
    Peggy Wposted 11 years ago

I am also unable to make a comment in the Q & A section.  I wanted to comment on some of the terrific answers people have posed on some of my questions.  I type it in, hit publish...and nothing happens.

Now that's happening to me.

1. Peggy W profile image95
        Peggy Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hope someone at HP headquarters takes a look at this and fixes whatever is causing this.  I just tried to make a comment again with no luck.

1. profile image0

We are looking into it now.  Unfortunately, it takes longer to fix things over the weekend (especially holiday weekends) than during the week.  But I hope that we can fix this before Tuesday morning.

1. Peggy W profile image95
            Peggy Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Ari.  Happy Memorial Day!  You have my permission to take the day off.  smile

1. Howard S. profile image89

PW, do you receive email sent through HP? I've sent you a couple within the past month.

2. Melissa A Smith profile image95

Works for me now.

21. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 11 years ago

Good idea and thank you HP for another improvement.

22. tirelesstraveler profile image61
    tirelesstravelerposted 11 years ago

Thanks Ari, I have often thought being able to comment would be nice.  Nice work.

23. Xenonlit profile image60
    Xenonlitposted 11 years ago

I like this, because I like to acknowledge those who commented without having to answer my own question.

24. Howard S. profile image89
    Howard S.posted 11 years ago

It's a nice feature, but I don't like the way it appears in the Hubtivity feed. It currently reads as follows:

You wrote this comment to this answer QWERTY...

Since the partial answer (QWERTY...) is somewhat meaningless without the initial question, I would prefer the following:

You wrote this comment to this answer to the question ASDFG

That is similar to the original syntax for answers to questions:

You wrote this answer to the question ASDFG

1. profile image0

Howard,

Thank you for this feedback.  We are working on that feature right now.

Ari

25. yougotme profile image89
    yougotmeposted 11 years ago

Hello guys! I really find this feature useful, but as of now I'm encountering problems in commenting on answers.

When I press comment this one appears "cannot save comment at this time". I'm just wondering, maybe this is a bug on my part, because other people can comment, and previously I was able to leave comments.

I'll appreciate any response to this query. smile

1. profile image0

Hi yougotme,

Yes, some Hubbers have reported seeing that message.  It is on our list to investigate and fix it! 

Ari

1. yougotme profile image89
        yougotmeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Ari! smile

2. yougotme profile image89
        yougotmeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello there! My problem is still not addressed until now. sad

I still can't comment on answers, and I feel like I'm missing a lot of stuffs especially when I think that we can have some good discussions (i.e. follow ups).

26. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

Regarding the comments in the answer sections. It seems it just makes it a forum as I have seem comments, then comments on the comments then more answers to that comment.  Why not keep forums and answers separate?

What happens if the answer is wrong? It doesn't make sense to block discussions in them. That will probably just lead to more people voting answers down to express their opinion. If technical questions are going to be asked to non-experts, discussion is important.

2. profile image0

Hi duffsmom,

Thank you for the feedback!  We are indeed aware of this issue and are working on a fix.  For example, we are considering only showing the first few comments on an answer by default, and then adding a button that says "click here to see the remaining comments on this answer".

Overall, we feel that the "comments on answers" feature has added a lot of value to the Answers section.  In some cases, there might be "runaway" comment threads, but we feel that we can address that situation while still keeping the best part of commenting.

Ari

27. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 11 years ago

Ari, I am not sure if you are checking the "report a problem" forum, so I am posting this here too.  As of today the bug with failure to add comments has not been fixed.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/98821

28. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 11 years ago

I'm curious to know how many have trouble posting comments in Q&A.

Specifically those who said they can't... melbel, Marisa Wright, Peggy W, and yougotme.  Do you still have the same problem? 

I posted an update in the "report a problem" forum. We should take this over there for any further updates to help staff know who has this problem.  That may help figure out what the cause is, which is only affecting a few of us. But I guess we all need to be patient since there are more serious issues presently happening. And I can understand that. I've been watching the other forums about it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)