Catnip works!!

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (27 posts)
  1. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

I'm all happy - I'm growing catnip plants and have them in a pot near the back door. We don't have a cat here, but the odd stray visits the garden.
    I just stood and watched a big black cat come in the garden, stare at me for ages, then go over the where the catnip is. Next thing he was rolling on the ground in ecstasy! He was stretching and rolling on his back and doing all the sorts of things cats do when happy (or doped).
    Couldn't film it because it almost dark (nightfall), but hey...there'll be another opportunity smile

1. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My first cat was like that. However, the four I have noe have never shown any interest in catnip. Admittedly, I've only ever tried using the dried stuff with them.

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't get catmint in Spain, I could get catnip grass but not the plant I have now, so don't know if my cat there would like it or not.

2. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh... Izzy... and there I was thinking no one had seen me! lol Us, kitties... we love catnip! Meawwwwww

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5322156_f248.jpg

1. IzzyM profile image87
        1. profile image0

Joseph wasn't a fan... lol lol lol because he's lost his sense of smell. big_smile

I did plant catnip once and the stray cats destroyed my plants. big_smile

2. By His Way profile image61
        By His Wayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Cougar???   (lol)

3. By His Way profile image61
      By His Wayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Does it show up in urine?

(joking)

1. IzzyM profile image87

Who cares? It's legal LOL

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I saw this great photo on Facebook from www.lifewithcats.tv - a cat hugging catnip:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/538872_10150664904806586_591316585_9591420_1764920667_n.jpg

1. IzzyM profile image87

Oh that is so sweet!!

1. profile image0

Izzy, that cat looks like your profile picture! Perfect!

1. IzzyM profile image87

It does a bit, doesn't it? lol

All we need is for the catnip cat to show the EYES!! That would be weird!

2. SandyMcCollum profile image64
    SandyMcCollumposted 11 years ago

It's funny, if I grow it in a pot, the cats won't allow it to live. The either roll on it to death or they eat it. But, if it's growing in the ground, they roll next to it, not ON it. And I also have noticed that some cats will guard it and keep it all to themselves, while other cats have no interest, whatsoever. I think it's like alcohol to people, kinda; some like it too much, others have no interest. Cats will come from all around to visit a catnip plant, they smell it.

My catnip plants are the biggest, most lush plants in the garden - last year it grew over 7 feet tall!

And it makes a nice, kind of minty tea that's relaxing in the evening.

1. IzzyM profile image87

I've got two bushy plants that are just starting to flower, but I'm hopeful of getting lots of seeds from them. I need to some to take back to Spain next time I visit!
      I was actually a bit scared to plant them directly into the garden in case they take over (mint family, but I'm told they spread by seed not roots like mint), but maybe if I grow more from seed I will try a little patch to see how it goes.
      I love cats, they are more than welcome in the garden as far as I am concerned, so long as they leave the birds alone (there are a lot of nesting birds).

Interesting about the tea. I know some people try to smoke it thinking it has a similar effect to cannabis, but nepelactone affects cats, humans not so much I don't think. Should try it, I suppose.

3. SandyMcCollum profile image64
    SandyMcCollumposted 11 years ago

If you'd like to grow a patch, put a little fencing around the patch until the catnip is big enough to survive being loved by a cat. Mine didn't spread too much, in fact, not at all. Probably because I cut off all the flowers... yeah, that must have been it. I'd cut off the flowers for my tea; the leaves are left for the cats until the end of the season, when I then let it flower out for seed.

4. wordscribe43 profile image90
    wordscribe43posted 11 years ago

My cats are downright obscene with catnip.  Seriously!  They make fools of themselves in their ecstasy states....

I used to have a cat who'd become a little aggressive on his "high", though.  He'd start attacking the other cats and becoming, let's just say "amorous". 

I've never tried growing it, though.  I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult, even inside, right?  Currently my cats (and rabbit) are mowing down wheat grass.

1. IzzyM profile image87

I've written a couple of hubs on catnip, though by this time next year I hope to be a real expert and not a researcher lol

It grows well in USDA zones 5 - 9, so I guess it could be grown indoors so long as your apartment isn't too warm. Grow it next to an open window!

1. profile image0

Good luck, Izzy. I hope it grows nicely. You're not in Spain anymore? I'm going this summer... wedding... in July... HOT! HOT! HOT! big_smile
        Post a pic of your catnip. It's such a pretty plant!

5. jennzie profile image71
    jennzieposted 11 years ago

My one cat loves catnip, but the other two aren't very crazy about it. I also want to try the cat grass that comes in the pot to see if they like that any more than the catnip that is in the container.

But growing your own sounds like a good (and cheaper!) idea.

6. Aficionada profile image78
    Aficionadaposted 11 years ago

This thread prompted me to spend nearly the past hour watching YouTube videos of catnip, cats, animals, babies, all that stuff.  There's one sort of scientific one about how catnip works. It's not long enough; I think it was actually a sort of ad for a TV program. But they said that about 70% of cats are affected by it. Another 1-2 showed its effect on big cats. Amazing.

Izzy, I hope  you'll post your video (when you make it) on YouTube. Some of those vids have gotten millions of hits!

1. IzzyM profile image87

I have watched them, some of them are fabulous! The ones that are made for TV are not of the best quality, I think someone videoed the TV programs and posted them to YouTube, which is a pity because the professionals got it right, and the copies look like copies.

I would love to make a video of the cat(s) at the catnip. The trouble is because they are 'visitors' they are nervous of me, so filming them is not so easy as I have to keep my distance and stay silent.

Jennzie mentioned catnip grass, but if your cats like catnip they will like the grass too, but as a plant it is exceptionally boring and if you plant it in the garden you will (like me) end up running the mower over it because it looks like garden grass, or pulling it up thinking it is escaped grass.

You want this plant -

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6529702_f248.jpg

1. profile image53
        Robertr04posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Could not resist. A stimulant, tonic, antispasmodic, normalizes blood pressure, decreases the desire for cigarettes, and dispels abdominal gas. For parents whose children experience colic, Catnip is a Godsend. Often a child will scream with discomfort and cannot tell the parent what's wrong. The extract or tincture is applied generously to the back and the abdominal area. By putting drops on the tongue as needed, tormenting gas can be expelled from the body. In cases of high blood pressure where arteries are nervously cramped, Catnip is swift and effective. Those who wish to quit cigarettes may be able to do so by placing several drops on the back of the tongue anytime a cigarette is desired.

1. IzzyM profile image87

I'm going to try this next time I run out of cigarettes. I've only got 7 cartons left.

2. Aficionada profile image78
      Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, do I ever feel sheepish here.  Izzy, I saw some of your other YouTube videos that were mentioned in the thread about pets - the dogs play-fighting over a stick, and some others. They're good - But that's no surprise!

What kind of video camera did you use? The video is certainly some of the best quality and clearest I have ever seen.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Oh wow! Thanks! I am a complete beginner on making videos. The camera I use is an Olympus SZ10 and it records in HD. I should write a hub about it (but not on this name unless I don't want anyone to read it apart from hubbers). Its not that expensive a camera at around $200, but it takes great close-ups and the zoom seems to focus on distant objects really well.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6560509_f248.jpg

1. Aficionada profile image78
          Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Definitely write it! I'll watch for it, or you can send me a message when it's published.

I'm noting the name/model, and I'll start saving for it today. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)