Weekly Topic Inspiration: First Aid Basics

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (96 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

We may not all be doctors and nurses, but that doesn’t mean we’ll never find ourselves in a position in which we need to help someone who is sick or injured. Why not prepare for the unexpected by doing some first aid research and sharing your tips on what to do in various scenarios?

If you’re not sure what sorts of first aid advice you would like to share or which first aid subjects you should research, here are some search-friendly titles to consider:
    What Does it Take to be a Certified First Responder?
    Wilderness First Aid: A Basic Overview
    First Aid at Work: Essential Things to Know
    Senior First Aid: First Aid Tips for Assisting Elders
    Paediatric First Aid: Caring for Sick and Injured Children
    Five Essential First Aid Procedures
    First Aid for Poisoning: What to Do
    Essential First Aid Equipment
    How to Find First Aid Courses in Your Local Area
    How to Find Free First Aid Courses
    What is Taught in First Aid Courses?
    First Aid Training: Basic Lessons Covered in a First Aid Course
    First Aid Training 101
    First Aid Kits: Essential Elements to Include

Make sure that you include links to official sources in these Hubs. If folks are reading your Hubs in the middle of an actual crisis, it’s important that you give them links to information from trusted, official sources.

If you'd like to join in on this week's topic by writing a Hub, follow these steps:

1)    Stop by this week's Weekly Topic Inspiration Question.
    2)    Click the green button "answer this question".
    3)    Click the gray button below the box (leave that empty) that says "make a Hub about it."
    4)    Give your Hub a very specific title, like Easy Summer Gardening Projects for Kids or Challenging Summer Activities for Teens
    5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
    6)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this forum thread and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

1. cloverleaffarm profile image68
      cloverleaffarmposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wish I had seen this sooner. Would have done one! Next time.

Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Keep in mind, cloverleaffarm, that this WTI goes for another six days!

2. Linda Bliss profile image85
      Linda Blissposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I had a look at our first aid kit when our dog had an accident recently - so my entry is all dog related this week! :-)

How To Make Your Own First Aid Kit For Dogs - Recommended List of Contents for Your Dog Emergency Kit

1. MarleneB profile image90
        MarleneBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am glad I read your hub. It is very informative and it inspired me to always have a first aid kit handy for my pets from now on.

2. MarleneB profile image90

What a wonderful hub about first aid kits for dogs. Your hub made me vow to always have a first aid kit handy when traveling with my pet.

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years ago

Yes, I have given first aid many, many times. I am a registered nurse, previously certified in critical care and have worked in the emergency department and as a licensed paramedic as well. I taught CPR and first aid for about 20 years and have also taught advanced cardiac life support. I have taught nursing as well as emergency medical technology in level I trauma centers.

I can offer the following tips:

1. Call for help early

2. Know when it is safe to move an accident victim and when it is not

3. Make sure the scene is safe for anyone providing first aid, including yourself

4. Keep the victim warm and calm

5. Be creative - I once ran short on splints when picking up a trauma victim as a flight nurse in Mexico and used the Wall Street Journal I found laying around as a splint

6. Carry identification on your own body in case of emergency or accident

7. If you use a service dog, carry emergency instructions for care and handling of your dog in your dog's vest/cape

8. Do not give anything to drink or eat to a trauma victim - they may need to go to surgery

9. Do not attempt to provide any care beyond your expertise

10. Take a CPR course to know how to properly perform CPR and then if the occasion arises, perform to the best of your ability as instructed and do not worry about a lawsuit

Wow, Dubuquedogtrainer! You should definitely write a Hub on this subject- or several! Clearly you've got some great advice to share.

1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
        Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you - maybe I will - this is just off the top of my head. I am not working in the medical field anymore - I am a full time professional dog trainer now.

1. K9keystrokes profile image83
          K9keystrokesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Dubuquedogtrainer, wow...impressive niche skill set! I agree with Simone,  you could take exactly what you wrote here and use each numbered item as a sub topic for one heck of a hub! I know I would read it! Nice to see you in the WTI forum thread. Looking forward to your next hub...maybe on this topic? wink
          Cheers~

1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
            Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'll give it some consideration - thanks. My new expertise lies in dog training - that is what I am most passionate about, but I will consider. Thanks for the suggestion!

3. rosika profile image76
    rosikaposted 11 years ago

This is very interesting topic....I am up for it...I can write a hub on this topic from my own experience!

Wow, perfect! Go for it!

4. Shesabutterfly profile image94
    Shesabutterflyposted 11 years ago

My tips and ideas for a good basic wilderness first aid kit. http://shesabutterfly.hubpages.com/hub/ … c-Overview

A great read!

2. farmloft profile image69
      farmloftposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good hub. I've never heard of moleskin before. Will add that to my camping kit.

3. Simone Smith profile image87

I hadn't heard of a moleskin either- or that poison ivy soap. Good stuff!

4. MarleneB profile image90

Make that three! I've never heard of moleskin either. Great hub.

5. cclitgirl profile image93
    cclitgirlposted 11 years ago

I SHOULD be able to come up with SOMETHING on this topic.  I mean I took an EMT course in college, worked in a nursing home growing up, and I'm really, REALLY accident prone.  Hmm, I'm digging through my brainiacal archives now...

CC, you make me laugh so much! ((lol))
      HubHugs~

2. Denise Handlon profile image86
      Denise Handlonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

1. cclitgirl profile image93
        cclitgirlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hehe, I'm thinkin' this one might just be a tad humorous.  Let's see...the bike cliffhanger incident, the 'endo' incident, the biker vs. tree incident, the biker vs. rock incident...lol

CC, possibly you should avoid bikes all together...or make contact with the people from Full Metal Jousting for a full suit of armor!  --hugs-- wink

2. cardelean profile image87
          cardeleanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How about one about what to do when you drop the metal level on your husband's head while level the cabinets or what to do when you husband slips on the snow at the grand canyon and hits his head on a rock while an Asian man is video taping the entire scene!  lol  lol  lol  (Yes those are true stories!)

((lol)) Oh my goodness, Cara! As with CC, your husband may at least require headgear! My advice, yours  and CC's families should never go on vacation together, especially if bicycles and metal tools are involved! lol wink lol
            HubHugs~

2. profile image0
            janikonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I almost wrote a hub on 'what you do when you accidentally trip and head-butt your boyfriend in the face causing him a nosebleed' or 'how to cope with bruises caused by missing a stair and taking your sister down the flight with you' or 'how to explain to your mother why you and your cousins are covered in beestings after climbing the tree she forbid you to go into'

Though, please write the one about your husband slipping ... I'm intrigued and need to know more. big_smile

((big_smile)) ((big_smile))

3. Denise Handlon profile image86

Cara--ssssh, you weren't supposed to tell!  smile    Oh, I'm chuckling now because I had forgotten all about that one, 'LUCY'  lol    That is like dad and the bowling ball in the ice storm or the one with him in the lumber store!

Okay, Denise, You have my attention! I love a good bowling ball story! Do I sense a collaboration hub in the works?big_smile

1. cardelean profile image87
                cardeleanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just picture Fred Flintstone on his way out to bowl and stepping down the steps of his porch in an ice storm!

((lol)) ((big_smile)) ((lol)) Totally have the mental image!

3. cclitgirl profile image93

Oh my goodness!  I'm sitting here laughing a belly laugh here while reading all this!!  OK - ya'll need to seriously crank out some first-aid hubs or something because this is all a riot!  lol

Hahaa!! Talk about the perfect storm!

6. farmloft profile image69
    farmloftposted 11 years ago

What a great weekly topic! My hub on first aid for the elderly:
    http://farmloft.hubpages.com/hub/senior_first_aid

7. alissaroberts profile image78
    alissarobertsposted 11 years ago

So happy to get a hub in for the WTI smile Here is my hub dealing all about the essentials of a first aid kit and some tips to maintaining them:

http://alissaroberts.hubpages.com/hub/F … to-Include

This is great! After reading through your Hub, I've realized there are some important things I need to add to my kit!

1. alissaroberts profile image78
        alissarobertsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much Simone!

2. Linda Bliss profile image85

This hub was so well put together and the information was great! :-)

Thank you Linda! So happy to hear that!

3. Jared Zane Kessie profile image87
      Jared Zane Kessieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Linked yours as a reference for my first aid article! Great one!

I appreciate that and added a link in my hub to yours. Your guide was fantastic!

4. MarleneB profile image90

You're so organized! I enjoyed your hub and learned a lot. Like, I definitely need to add item #9 and item #14 to my kit.

Thanks so much MarleneB!

8. profile image0
    janikonposted 11 years ago

I am breaking my Weekly Topic Inspiration cherry, and could not be happier! Here is my hub on treating victims who have suffered a stroke

http://janikon.hubpages.com/hub/Keep-Ca … -Mentality

Hope you all enjoy. It's some pretty important stuff everyone should know.

I'm quite glad I read this. I've always felt nervous when it comes to strokes and it feels good to know how to properly keep calm and carry on big_smile

1. profile image0

big_smile

Oh, so much information in one hub. I learned a lot. Excellent hub.

1. profile image0

Thanks, MarleneB! Your words made my night! smile

9. mcsorley profile image60
    mcsorleyposted 11 years ago

I would love to provide some assistance with this Thread.

I am practicing Field Paramedic/Supervisor in the State of Pennsylvania for the past 17 years. I am also a practicing Paramedic, EMT, CPR/First Aide, Advanced Cardiac Life Support, and Pediatric Advanced Life Support instructor for the past 12 years.

I can offer some helpful tips to a layperson, or any experienced medical professional.

I would suggest that everyone take a CPR/First Aide class somewhere in their community. A lot of places now-a-days hold these classes for free. Churches, Fire Departments, and the YMCA are good sources to start. Not to mention, the time is not that extensive. At most, a CPR/First Aid class would take up about 2 hours of your day.

I agree with Dubuquedogtrainer in what she had provided in this thread.

We can not stress this enough... IS THE SCENE SAFE??? You are no good to anyone, especially for the person you are trying to assist, if your scene is not safe. What good are you, if you put yourself in harms way?

I can go on and on regarding this subject. Actually I will post Hubs on Pediatrics, Geriatrics, and Basic First Aide.

Thanks for those GREAT tips, mcsorley!! WOW. I'm really glad you'll be posting Hubs on these subjects. Your advice will be invaluable!

10. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

My mother suffered a stroke in the worst of places.  It was in the middle of a big, crowded, public room with a lot of traffic, and people were afraid to help us.  But I took charge and began to bark orders until the EMT appeared.  Without really thinking about it, we all know bits and pieces about stroke.  But getting people to move during an emergency is even harder.  When a stroke occurs, always be prepared to take charge and get this person to the hospital.  You never know. You could be this person's only hope.

http://arlenevpoma.hubpages.com.hub/Sen … -of-Stroke

11. profile image0

We never know when we will be in a position to be the one to keep things calm in an emergency situation. It helps to know what to do in case of a stroke. I read you hub and learned a lot. Very well-written with valuable information.

2. Simone Smith profile image87

Wow, I'm learning so much about strokes today! Good guide.

12. Mrs. Menagerie profile image89
    Mrs. Menagerieposted 11 years ago

Intriguing! I'm going to go read it now.

I read it, enjoyed it, and learned a lot. Great hub!

DAAAAW!!!

13. larakern profile image68
    larakernposted 11 years ago

I wrote about the prevention of snake bites and what to do if you do get bitten.

14. MarleneB profile image90
    MarleneBposted 11 years ago

Last week, I had a lot of fun researching and writing for my first weekly topic inspiration, so I thought I would try it again. I'm glad I did because I learned a lot of things I didn't know about the common household chemicals in my home. While I may not be a professional medical technician, I sure feel like I know what to do in case of an emergency. Call for help! That's the first thing to do. In the meantime, I know how to check for this and that and how to keep the victim calm, assuming I (myself) remain calm. Here is the link to my findings:
    http://marleneb.hubpages.com/t/2fa08e

1. Linda Bliss profile image85

I really enjoyed your hub and its inspired me to check through our kitchen cupboards to see if everything is stored correctly and whether I need to hide anything on 'higher ground' so the dog doesn't get to it. :-)

This is a GREAT reference guide! I knew, vaguely, that there were many household cleaners and chemicals that pose potential dangers, but I didn't know any specifics and had never through through contingency plans. SO glad I read this. Thanks for doing the research and putting together the Hub!

15. Mrs. Menagerie profile image89
    Mrs. Menagerieposted 11 years ago

Thank you Marlene and I read and was well informed by your great hub!

16. Jared Zane Kessie profile image87
    Jared Zane Kessieposted 11 years ago

Here is mine....it got kind of lengthy, but I tried to break it up!

First Aid Guide for Parents

I read every word. But it was worth it. You shared a lot of information, but I also learned a lot in the process of reading it. Thank you - great hub.

17. K9keystrokes profile image83
    K9keystrokesposted 11 years ago

Here is one on the steps for basic first aid.
    http://k9keystrokes.hubpages.com/t/2fb3ca
    Happy Hubbing~ smile

Wow! You show that handling an emergency is like being the director of an orchestra. There is so much to know, but I like how you taught the information. One thing I know for sure is I need to update my first aid training. Thank you for your excellent hub.

This is a marvelous overview! I'm always glad to read stuff like this- I seem to ALWAYS forget some of the important details @_@

18. cclitgirl profile image93
    cclitgirlposted 11 years ago

Here's one for the WTI - it's a little unorthodox and crazy, but it's about my mountain biking mishaps and some lessons I've learned with regard to first aid.  Happy Hubbing.  smile
    http://cclitgirl.hubpages.com/_39zesnd5 … id-for-you

1. Denise Handlon profile image86

Just finished it and it was 'AWESOME'  smile

Thanks, Denise.  smile   I know, I know, I'm NUTS!

lol

I just read this and really enjoyed it. Humor intertwined with tragety, plus valuable lessons - it all added up to a fun hub to read.

Thank you again, Marlene.  smile

This is so great!!! Splendid advice, great photos- fab Hub!

Hehe, I appreciate your feedback, Simone.  smile  Thanks again.

19. brittanytodd profile image88
    brittanytoddposted 11 years ago

Excellent. Plus, I like the way you have the kits laid out for various occasions and events.

1. brittanytodd profile image88
        brittanytoddposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much, Marlene!

This is a super helpful overview, and I love the photos you've added, too!  Much more demonstrative that bulleted lists I see in most first aid guides.

20. profile image0

Here's my signs to get a First Aid Kit going.  According to hubby, we have one in the bathroom, but it is filled with ancient stuff.  Time to replace everything, and I have helpful guides right here.

I also need to invest in a bicycle helmet.  I have a helmet for horseback riding, but that won't do.  Need to go shopping.  No excuses!

That's right! No excuses Arlene. Let us know when you get one. This is my way of putting you on the spot. Lots of love to you. smile

1. profile image0
        Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are truly a gem, Marlene!  Thank you!

I think the container of aspirin in our old First Aid Kit is enough to kill anyone.  Or maybe it won't help at all.  That's how old it is!  You have to meet your current medical needs, too.  I can't take aspirin.  Haven't for years, so aspirin would be useless for me.

You're welcome, Arlene! Now that I have met you, I wouldn't want anything bad to happen to you. So, the next time you go riding a bike... helmet, please. I haven't had any personal experience, because I don't ride bikes, but, I know people who do and the ones who wear their helmets have survived the most miraculous accidents. My husband is one of them. Imagine getting a phone call from the local hospital on the day your husband rode his bike (motorcycle) to work that morning. I actually had a high school friend who was run over and did not survive a collision while riding her bicycle around town; she wasn’t wearing a helmet. So, I’m a big proponent of helmets. Sorry for putting you on the spot like that, Love.

Clarification - my husband was wearing his helmet and survived!

21. profile image0

Marlene, my husband was the passenger on a motorcycle in high school.  He was wearing a helmet, but the driver hit a stump, and hubby went sailing into the brush.  He has not been on a motorcycle since!

A couple of years ago, I went through a midlife crisis and found myself in the middle of a Harley-Davidson showroom.  I don't even know how to drive a motorcycle, so I don't have a license.  Anyway, the place shut down because of the economy.  The salesman was trying to sell me a Buell because he said I was so small.  I refused.  I wanted a big, red soft tail.  By not getting a Harley, I can picture all these lives being saved--including mine!  Helmet or no helmet!

Your husband is smart.My husband got out of the hospital, got well, and got right back on the motorcycle. He likened it to the saying about getting back on the horse and getting back in the saddle. I was nervous every time he rode his motorcycle. But, now the motorcycle is sold and there is no more motorcycling.Although, he still drives a sports car and sometimes I feel like he should wear a helmet for that.

1. profile image0

Hilarious!

2. cclitgirl profile image93

Congratulations on HOTD, Marlene!  Awesome job!  big_smile

3. Denise Handlon profile image86

Ditto my congrats, Marlene-you rock! smile

22. Denise Handlon profile image86
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

Okay...this is my contribution for the WTI and just barely getting it in! 

Surviving a choking experience is a blessing.  How to help a choking victim:

http://denisehandlon.hubpages.com/hub/H … ictim?done

Wow, what an experience you had! This Hub is awesome- and I really love the illustrative photos you've added demonstrating the maneuver.

Might I make one recommendation? I think moving the how-to stuff to the top and the personal account to the bottom might be helpful- mostly because the personal account is longer and folks might not see all the useful-how to info right away, which might encourage them to click away before realizing just how much info is packed into the article!

Thanks for the feedback Simone-will do.  smile

1. profile image0

I forgot all about the choking incident involving my father decades ago, but your article brought it all back in a positive way.  Isn't strange how most people freeze when someone is choking?  You were so lucky that you had someone there who kept calm and cool enough to take care of you.  We should all know how to help someone who is choking.  And this includes helping ourselves!

Right-I was very fortunate and blessed.  My youngest daughter actually wrote him a thank you note for saving me!    If he had not been there I would have grabbed the waiter by the throat lol    Thank goodness it worked out the way it did.

23. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Hey everyone!!
    The new WTI thread is up! This week's theme is advice for aspiring small business owners and entrepreneurs. Come on down and share your business-launching advice!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)