The Paradigmsearch Definition of Religion

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (56 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

The gathering of people with similar philosophical beliefs. There is nothing wrong with that. In fact, it enables one to have a support group and to even do networking. There's nothing wrong with that either.

Have a nice day. smile

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If that were the case then there would be a Junkie Religion, a Beachbum Religion, a Live-Off-The-Government Religion, and many more...

paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are! They're just not officially recognized by the IRS.lol

2. Chris Neal profile image80
        Chris Nealposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ever been to a Dead concert?

No, I haven't, but the people who used to invite me to them (a long time ago, long before I became a Christian,) seemed a little religious to me.

1. Eric Newland profile image60
          Eric Newlandposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Juggalos are pretty religiously dedicated.

1. Chris Neal profile image80
            Chris Nealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not surprised. Phish and Dave Matthews both have pretty dedicated followings as well (I think Phish sort of inherited the Deadheads.)

3. profile image0
        Hubert Williamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

These organizations do exist, they are just not called religions, they are called liberals. With the exception of junkies, but they do have very helphful and effective support groups for those with the will to fight the addiction.

2. kess profile image61
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thus strenghtening each other in their delusion...until they die.

It is good that delusions die that Truth may live.

Chris Nealposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, and when Jesus returns, all delusions will finally die!

1. aka-dj profile image65
          aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

All ateists will believe.

Bit late!

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image59
            Jesus was a hippyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why would it be late? What makes you think that a LOVING god would punish me for not believing a story that my mind deems unbelievable?

After all, didn't this LOVING god create me like this? I can't force myself to believe anything. I hope you can see the problem here.

1. profile image0

Force is not required only faith and the willingness to ask questions. What you believe after that is at least based on some kind of inquiry. Not just "I don't believe".

If I think that a story sounds ridiculous (like talking donkeys and snakes and a 900 year old man building a ark and collecting animals from all over the world) then how on earth can I make myself believe such a stupid story?

I asked question when I was a kid and not one person could answer them. Not nuns, priests not even the arch bishop.

Why should I believe what some guy is telling me when he cant even explain it?

How about when these stories are in direct contradiction with proven facts?

You are not asking for faith, you are asking for ignorance of knowledge.

The word "gullible" exists for a reason.

1. profile image0

I don't blame you for not believing stories related in that way, you can't build a foundation for belief based on fishermen's exaggerations. Bible translations and transliterations were done by men with very little if any knowledge of the language they were translating. Use what you know, or feel very strongly, is proven fact and make your own comparisons. I am not saying that you will instantly see a bright light and see the truth, "Hallelujah" But you can at least disbelieve based on your own study, not the words of so-called holy men. If what I say makes me burn in hell then that would be up to God, not holy men, or any other kind of man. Men can only destroy my body, not my soul. I wasn't condemning you for what you believe. Just don't sell yourself short.

But that is all we have. The only things telling of a god are scriptures (in any religion) that were all written by men.

Your story illustrates a sad reality, and no, not that you don't believe. That is sad, but not in a pathetic sort of way.

No the sad reality is that all believers are Jesus' representatives on Earth, and it's us who usually turn people away from Him.

And we will certainly answer for that...

Well said!

Because the LOVING God has already given you all the information you need, and you didn't believe it! He's made it pretty clear that He isn't going to accept those in the next world who didn't accept Him here.

I know that seems harsh to a lot of people, and maybe it is, but it is Biblical.

1. Cagsil profile image69
                Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And BS. lol

You mean God made it clear He will accept those who didn't accept Him?

No. I didn't mean that. I meant your post was BS, much more than it is biblical.

Yes, indeed!

roll

lol

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image59

If Jesus appeared that would be AWESOME. Of course I don't see him anywhere.......

That's because He hasn't returned yet.

I would also like to think it will be awesome when Jesus returns, but after reading the Bible I tend to think that the world will be in an even worse condition that it is now and for most people, Jesus' return will not be seen as a good thing...

3. aka-dj profile image65
      aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.
      I will!
      You too! smile

4. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are you saying that support groups and networking can't exist without the need to believe in myths and superstitions that divide us and cause conflict and hatred between the groups?

2. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Up to your usual tricks huh Para. More pointless threads. lol

paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's what I live for... lol

Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Somehow I don't doubt that. lol

1. mischeviousme profile image61
          mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When I'm not posting inane threads, I'm selling drugs to orphans... Like we fence sitters do. We create more fence sitters so the game will will have more viewers.

That's certainly one way to draw attention to yourself. By all means, you do whatever it is you want, however, I'd be a bit more careful about being vocal about it. lol

2. janesix profile image61
            janesixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Me too!!

That is such a weird coincidence.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

I wonder if religion hubs get much traffic and clicks. I could write some good ones...big_smile

1. Xenonlit profile image61
      Xenonlitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You should! Or, just keep us happy in the forums!

4. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

And we're all going to reincarnate together as a scattered big family... all of us being the illegitimate children of paradigmsearch. But we'll come together as a musical band (American folk music) like a bunch of hillbillies and we'll write songs about our fatherless condition, and we'll get our DNA tests done to prove that Para is, in fact, our father, and we'll sue him and his weird religious sect that supported his urge to "spread his seed across the earth", and we'll get some serious cash for all the years of abandonment and therapy!

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I always knew there was something about PDS that I could not quite put my finger on. And now, I discover he is my dad. smile As a Brit Klarawieck, I'm not to familiar with American folk music, could you throw a few lyrics my way so I can practice for our up and coming family reunion, Sister. lol

roll

2. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, we should really work on an original repertoire, but meanwhile we can settle for Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama and Cagsil will have to work on the solo for Freebird. He's our best guitarist, or so I've been told.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
          Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sounds good. However, Cags seems somewhat bemused by our virtual family gathering.

1. profile image0
            klarawieckposted 11 years agoin reply to this

He's just worried about the long solo he's going to have to memorize! big_smile

5. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

Praise be to P.S. Hosannah, hosannah, hosanah. All bow to paradigmsearch, creator and father of us all!

6. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Well, it's a lazy, peaceful Sunday here. I might even glance upward a time or two. Actually, who knows? Maybe I'll even get something productive done today.

7. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

you are productive already.

Your definition of religion is sociological. It benefits some people.

8. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 11 years ago

Jesus was a hippywrote
    If I think that a story sounds ridiculous (like talking donkeys and snakes and a 900 year old man building a ark and collecting animals from all over the world) then how on earth can I make myself believe such a stupid story?

= - =

me
    Use the scientific method.  ...  take a black magicmarker and remove that part of the story. Continue this process then look at what is left.          We would do this same thing with the encyclopedia.

==================================
    JWAH
    I asked question when I was a kid and not one person could answer them. Not nuns, priests not even the arch bishop.

Why should I believe what some guy is telling me when he cant even explain it?

How about when these stories are in direct contradiction with proven facts?

=.= ,,=  =-=
    Me
      WWSHD?   
    Sherloch Homes would use a scientific method.  ...  take a black magicmarker and remove that  part of the story which he can not believe. Continue this process then examine what is left.           

We would not throw the entire encyclopedia away, or all of our medical books away for the sake of a few bad stories.

===================================
    JWAH
      You are not asking for faith, you are asking for ignorance of knowledge.

The word "gullible" exists for a reason.

= - = -

me
      I have got to agree,  To throw away the entire medical book just because certain practices have been proven nonefective would not be of benefit to mankind. 

Black out every part of the bible that we do not agree with or can't understand, and then read what remains.  Then,right or wrong, whatever you choose to do,   you will have made an informed decision.

Ok, so I black out the unbelievable parts of the bible and what am I left with? A few stories about some social interactions with some people a few thousand years ago.

A lot of these stories are not really relevant today and the ones that are relevant today are pretty much basic knowledge anyway.

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

OK  at least you tried.

When I did it I was left with more than that.

If you omit all the parts of the bible that go against the law of physics and what is known to be true, then you shouldn't be left with much.

Either you are lacking knowledge about what is known to be physically possible, or you are gullible.

1. Jerami profile image59
            Jeramiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can't argue with that   seeing as how    I'm A thinkin we are all gulible to one extent/topic  or another.

We all think that we know most all of that which we need to survive.

9. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-iW6HJak7QmM/Tm-skOWBacI/AAAAAAAABLg/d3CsqM0e0J4/s1600/believe_2.jpg
    But there is nothing wrong in assigning a high probability.

paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh, my! This post just cost me a follower. big_smile

2. Eric Newland profile image60
      Eric Newlandposted 11 years agoin reply to this

He looks thrilled.

paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

He does, doesn't he? lol

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
        prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

He is a "high waist" serious dude!!

1. Druid Dude profile image60
          Druid Dudeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nothing doesn't seem to exist anywhere in nature. Statement is unfounded.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)