Anyone know what this is?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (37 posts)
  1. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

It was in an open bag of compost that I was filling pots with.

Yuk my hand may have touched it!

It's quite big, but not as big as shown - maybe half an inch across.

Looks like a tick of some sort with that big swollen belly, but more likely it is a spider as it was found in compost in the greenhouse, where there are no animals, not even birds.

This is the UK, anyone recognise it?

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6569183_f248.jpg

1. Hugh Williamson profile image76
      Hugh Williamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It looks a lot like a woodllouse spider. If so, they have a painful but harmless bite. As the name implies, they eat woodlice so maybe your compost has some critters in it other than the spider.

Nice looking spider though.

2. moonlake profile image81
      moonlakeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I will never put my hands in compost again.

3. ptosis profile image66
      ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

go to Bug ID request online  - here's the link http://bugguide.net/bgimage/user/37935

It for US and Canada - but maybe the folks there can steer you clear for UK Bug ID

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for the link, but these clever hubbers  - Hugh Williamson and crazyhorsesghost already told me exactly what it was.

woodlouse spider

4. clairemy profile image76
      clairemyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Looks like a tic, but it has 8 legs, so must be a spider.
      Where do you live in UK?

1. IzzyM profile image87

Hi Claire, I'm in Scotland - it is a woodlouse spider, thanks to hubbers who responded earlier in this thread smile

1. clairemy profile image76
          clairemyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, It can stay in Scotland, apparently they bite. Nothing nasty though.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Distribution of the woodlouse spider, according to wikipedia -

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6571901_f248.jpg

Those spiders live in the green areas, which must take in an awful lot of hubbers smile

5. jennzie profile image71
      jennzieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad none of those live around here! I appreciate and have an interest in most wildlife, excluding spiders and most insects.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

What on Earth is a googlebot doing in your greenhouse!?!

1. IzzyM profile image87

ROFL!!!

Maybe it was checking me out to return my traffic lol

3. crazyhorsesghost profile image69
    crazyhorsesghostposted 11 years ago

It is indeed a woodlouse spider and while it has a painful bite it is not poisonous. They do get in compost from time to time especially if their are a lot of little critters in their. If your adding meat to your compost I would not. Especially in summer.

The woodlouse spider will feed on other available small insects if the wood lice is not available.

4. theherbivorehippi profile image65
    theherbivorehippiposted 11 years ago

I know looks can be deceiving, but it certainly doesn't look very friendly!

5. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

Well hey thanks guys!! I've never heard of the woodlouse spider, but yes there are loads, tons, millions of woodlice around.

Ahh, so they do bite?

I've got a severe but as yet unidentified allergy to the bite of some insects. Need to watch that in case it has brothers and sisters.

Thanks a million, you've been a Godsend! I need to know these things and it would have taken me hours to find out what it was by Googling it alone.

1. Melissa A Smith profile image95
      Melissa A Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I see these often. They are sooooo cute!

1. IzzyM profile image87

CUTE!!!!

Emm..no, they are ugly little critters that look kinda scarey too!

Each to their own and all that smile

1. Beth100 profile image69
          Beth100posted 11 years agoin reply to this

mmm... and you can keep them across on your side of the pond.  lol

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We are awaiting your hub about the Woodlouse Spider and how to tell the difference between it and a Googlebot. smile

1. IzzyM profile image87

Hey that might be fun smile

6. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 11 years ago

Ugh...it looks repulsive.  Some spiders actually make me gag.
    Looks like a tick, too.

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image59
      Jesus was a hippyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You wont want one of these as a pet then?

http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/insect/images/A_versi_main.jpg

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

He wants to be your friend...

2. IzzyM profile image87

Now that is seriously cute!

7. gramarye profile image60
    gramaryeposted 11 years ago

I don't like spiders - except sandyspider hehe

8. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
    Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years ago

oh ick... now I have the heebee geebees! Spiders are so creepy to me. Makes me glad I don't live in the UK.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Hate to tell you, but this spider also lives along the eastern seaboard of the USA as an introduced species.

Makes you wonder who introduced it?? lol

1. CMHypno profile image83
        CMHypnoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Went across on the Mayflower with the Pilgrim Fathers?  I have never encountered one of these before and am in no hurry to meet one!

1. IzzyM profile image87

I'm the opposite, I want to find it again so I can take a video recording.

HP hasn't got a woodlouse spider video, although there are quite a few on Youtube.

Would make a good experiment to find out whether or not HP's videos really are competitive.

Good luck with that Izzy.  Do you think that it came in on the compost or found its way in there?  If it was an import, you could always try buying another bag of compost at the same place and see if there are any more stowaways?

The BBC says they can be found under logs, do you have a log pile?

I generally like spiders, but this is a very strange looking one.

1. IzzyM profile image87

The compost it was found in has a checkered history. It was a bag of good quality rose compost, can't remember the name at the moment, but it might have been John Innes.

It belonged to a small local commercial growing company who sadly went bust, and told me to help myself to the remains of plants, compost and pots from their industrial greenhouse site, 3 years ago, or it might have been 4 years.

These bags of compost had been stored for a long time, and were already bursting when I got them.

They then lay in Dad's garden for a year or so, before this one got moved into the greenhouse and opened.

It has lain there ever since, unused but open, allowing the soil at the very top to dry out, but not further down, strangely enough.Maybe there is a rainwater drip overhead.

As this seems to be the first woodlouse spider found in this neck of the woods (I'm in Kintyre which is almost an island, so when wildlife finds its way here, it has almost certainly been imported), the question is did it come with the compost (as a baby perhaps), or did the last growers import it with plants they were growing (even from England).

This spider was big and fat, so probably a female. Has she had babies? Was she pregnant?

There are bound to be more around anyway.

Need to watch out for them, and not handle compost with my bare hands.

And no, no logs (but plenty trees), but I just found a toad in the garden too, sheltering under a black plastic sheet covering yet more bags of compost, and I'm told they like logs too.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6571229_f248.jpg

Well that's you next hub sorted - 'wildlife I found in my garden'

1. IzzyM profile image87

Got it sorted already smile

By the way, Mr Toad is actually Mrs Toad, according to what I have managed to find out about them smile

Cool, lots of little baby toads! smile

9. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

This thread is so funny. Lol. But I am scared of critters or googlebots, whatever. Stay out of compost is a lesson for day.

10. Greekgeek profile image77
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

Ooo! I and my buddy Phil -- the jumping spider with the dashing green mandibles that keeps appearing in my house -- must compliment you on an excellent spider photo.

You know you've been writing for the web too long when your first reaction to an unusual spider is, "stay put, cutie, I need to grab my camera so I can make a webpage about you!"

1. IzzyM profile image87

LOLl ain't that the truth!

Jumping spiders with green mandibles sound ominous. Got a photo?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)