God didn't do it?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (162 posts)
  1. aguasilver profile image69
    aguasilverposted 11 years ago

Why is it an acceptable answer for atheists to merely say "God didn't do it" when believers are expected to be held to a higher standard of proof when saying that God did do it?

1. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hmm what are we saying he didn't do? Example?

1. aka-dj profile image64
        aka-djposted 11 years agoin reply to this

He didn't create the known Universe.

He didn't create us (life).

He didn't come to us a a man (Jesus Christ).

He didn't heal anyone. (As is presented as evidence of His Being * existence*).

He never raised anyone from the dead! (  "  ).

He didn't change anyones life!

He didn't write a book (agreed, but inspired men to do so!)

I recon that just about covers the majority I have seen/read! smile

Okay well I will take the stand of I don't know if he did and I don't think anyone else does either. The only thing I will say he didn't do (if he is real) is God didn't protect me as a child. For me to truly believe that though it would take believing he is real.

So, that means you are an agnostic then?

1. vector7 profile image61
              vector7posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to butt in [ you can still get next in line peeples, lol ].

How ya been dj?!

Looks your short, sweet and to the point is clearing things right up.

Ok, ok. I'm done. Just soicalizing. heh heh

smile

Been looking in, just staying out.

Too busy these days to keep up appearances.  big_smile

lol

Not me man.. My girl has a maintenance requirement list.

I get in trouble if I'm not handsome and spiffy for her at 7:00...

But she treats me like a king so what can I do? lol

I know you can't keep appearing for good reason. Yours has you on lawn duty right?

"Trim the bushes and the hedge, through the trash over the neighbors ledge.... ::whistle::"

big_smile

I haven't done lawns for years.

There are many other things to do besides home duties/maintenance.

2. peeples profile image93

aka, I consider myself atheist. I do not believe in God, however I do not pretend to "Know" anything. Agnostic, atheist, maybe a little of both smile

It's all just semantics, really.
                I don't mind whether you are one or the other, both, or neither.
                You are an individual, with infinite value, and responsible for your own choices in life.
                All of which have their own set of consequences.

I just happened to make different choices. smile

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
                  Shadesbreathposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Can't speak for your actual intentions there, but typically that "all of which have their own set of consequences" type of remark is said with feigned civility while the speaker hears the drums beat a "dun dun DUN" in the soundtrack of their patronizing actual intent. The old benign-seeming-but-implied-threat thing. It's tedious and no less responsible for the contempt religion gets these days than the endless condescension and attempts to obstruct freedom and justice the more brazen practitioners employ.

Frankly, I have more respect for a religious person who tells me I'm going to burn in eternal hell fire, condemned to torture and agony for all time by a loving God, than I do for someone who pretends to mean well. It's the difference between a wolf and a snake. I don't really want to hang out with either one, but there's just something icky about snakes.

Just from the beginning of the first paragraph, are you suggesting you know people have no consequence for anything after death?

Because I'd like to see some "proof" [isn't that what you guys call it? wink] for your "solid" conclusion.

dj, states that because you're going to ask for "proof" if he gives you anything further.

He does mean well. I don't like people making good intentions look bad by twisting slighty myself, speaking of ickiness and snakes.

If there are consequences here, it serves the purpose to learn from this experience, as it's all you have to observe, to build a basis for the "if" to come.

Counting out there may be consequences after death prematurely would be about as smart as concluding the boat doesn't need a dinghy just in case.

Many a fool went overboard mid ocean from a boat ablaze without a back-up to drop in before them.

See aka they say a Christian (I'm assuming there sorry if I'm wrong) and an atheist can't have a polite conversation in a forum! smile To each his own, If we were all the same life would be boring!

2. Shadesbreath profile image78

It is not an acceptable answer.

Both atheists and believers claim they "know" something that neither can prove. Frankly, both sides drive me batty, because I have to sit here and watch people going back and forth, often mean and nasty on both sides, neither able to move the other, neither moving from their place of "truth," and yet none of them know anything other than what they feel. Which is all fine and dandy, but none of them will admit it's all just feelings. Everybody is so pompous sure they are RIGHT! My feelings are TRUE! Your feelings are WRONG! And here is my lame evidence that doesn't prove anything to anyone but me.

It's irritating. And, as  history has proven time and again, dangerous.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In some. lol

3. Jesus was a hippy profile image59
      Jesus was a hippyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It would depend on which god you are referring to. If they are referring to any god then it is not acceptable since they cannot back up their claim.

If they are referring to the christian god as described by the bible, then it is perfectly reasonable to deduce that such a being does not exist since the bible describes him as a contradictory, physically and logically impossible being.

4. profile image0
      Chasukposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't understand your question. Provide an example, please.

5. PhoenixV profile image63
      PhoenixVposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Because explaining a self existent reality that is predisposed to a materialistic bias, would require an intelligent and thoughtful response and would open it up for rebuttal.

6. profile image0

Aguasilver, I'm still waiting for a bit more explication.

aguasilverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Apologies Chasuk, got busy elsewhere!

The topic was one I posted as I went to bed to see what would come up, nothing complicated, just my observation that I see 'god dunnit' in many troll posts used as a derogatory remark, and wondered why (and how) folk presumed that there was no ability for we believers to say 'So did God do this?' as I just answered to Randy.

It perplexes me that those who refuse to accept God exists will blame Him for anything they find inexplicably nasty or outside of their comfort zone, then deny He exists in a later post.

Does that suffice? otherwise rephrase and ask again please! smile

1. profile image0

It suffices, and I will try to answer it to the best of my ability.

Atheists aren't admitting to God's existence when they say "god dunnit." Instead, they are mocking the propensity of Christians for thanking God for all things good, yet holding him blameless for anything bad.

This is perceived as having one's cake and eating it, too, or, non-idiomatically, trying to hold two incompatible positions.

Does that suffice? :-)

Just a quick one, as I need to go out.

Your assessment above is certainly true of many Christians who I have met, however it misses the fact that there is also an enemy, and enemy who prowls around seeking to destroy those he may, and that enemy is authorised by God to do so, that may not seem fair, but in effect when someone places themselves outside of Gods protection, the enemy has rights in accordance to the level of 'approval' he can raise from men's tongues.

Obviously anyone who denies God also denies the enemy, however that changes not on jot, the enemy has power and authority over anyone who is not under Gods power and authority.

Like Bob sung, "You gotta serve SOMEBODY"

So yes, bad things happen, and yes God has allowed a situation to exist where folk making the wrong choices can experiences those bad things, and yes believers are also able to be caught up in those bad situations.

If you choose to live amongst a community where open sin is permitted and encouraged, there can be no complain when you get caught in the deluge of evil that encompasses it.

Added that because I guess that Randys photo was of New Orleans....

1. profile image0

This reply actually exacerbates the problem, rather than ameliorates it, for several reasons.

First, because it feels dishonest. I'm not saying that it is dishonest -- in fact, I understand absolutely that it isn't -- but it unavoidably feels that way, to the atheist. The atheist has already extended a courtesy to the Christian, a courtesy in the form of a thought experiment in which God exists. The atheist expects that his courtesy will be reciprocated by a reply within the bounds of reason, but instead the Christian invokes a second fictional being as explanation for criticism of the first fictional being.

This is like responding to a criticism of Superman by invoking Batman.

Second, because it feels more than dishonest, but actually disingenuous.

As a parent, tell a judge, "I didn't murder or rape my children, I just allowed someone else to do it, so obviously I'm not guilty," and see how that works as a defense.

"Your Honor, they made the bad choices that put them in those bad situations, so it obviously wan't my fault," you argue.

"Your son was four, and your daughter was two," the judge would reasonably reply, right before your just conviction.

When the atheist says, "god dunnit," he is wearily mocking all of this equivocation.

I've argued against the existence of God hundreds -- maybe even thousands -- of times, and, most of the time, I forewarn the Christian, "You would be better off saying, 'god dunnit' right at the beginning, because that's how this conversation will ultimately end." Sometimes, they ruefully smile, and we skip the argument.

The intellectually honest atheist -- the atheist who isn't just arguing as an egotistical troll -- accepts faith as an answer. They accept "god dunnit." However, they prefer that this trump card be thrown down at the beginning.

But the correct analogy would be:

As a parent, tell a judge, "I murdered and raped my children, I just allowed the enemy to influence me, so obviously I'm guilty," and see how that works as a defense.

"Your Honor, I made the bad choices that put them in those bad situations, so it was my fault," you plea.

"Your son was four, and your daughter was two," the judge would reasonably reply, right before your just conviction.

....and the enemy would smile in the corner as he observed the scene.

I will repeat:

When someone denies God, then they must also deny the enemies existence.

The believer knows this to be a dangerous error, God will allow rebellion in His creation, that is their choice, but rebellion allows the enemy free rein over those rebelling.

Some who deny will be used to pontificate on forums, some will progress to allowing (unwittingly, as they profess there is no such thing) demonic powers to start influencing their lives, and from there it will depend on the restrain that the person is able to exert to stay good and pure and naturally self righteous (which has no value).

As no atheist can allow for the existence of the enemy, for obvious reasons, the enemy can work unobserved, except by those who have spiritual discernment.

Likewise, no believer, who has a personal relationship with Christ and has been in filled with the Holy Spirit, can deny they exist, no matter how hard the atheist tries to convince them they are deluded, mislead, hallucinating or just plain crazy.

Logic and reasoning and demands that all evidence fits atheists standards are irrelevant and ignored, once someone is truly saved and in Christ.

Guess it's a hopeless scenario. smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
                  Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes - it appears to be.

In terms you may understand - you are working for "the enemy" and he has convinced you that you are working for the good guys. This is why your religion causes so many fights. sad What a shame you refuse to understand that.

Explain your reasoning, assume I am a dummy.

2. aguasilver profile image69

Explain your reasoning, assume I am a dummy.

2. profile image0

I'm guessing that you missed the point of my analogy. In my analogy, God was the parent. For your analogy to be analogous to mine, GOD would be saying, "I murdered and raped my children, I just allowed the enemy to influence me, so obviously I'm guilty," which puts the blame squarely on God, exactly where it should be.

I doubt that was your intent.

However, all of this is moot, as I have now answered your "why" question to the best of my ability, which is what I set out to do. :-)

Again, I accept "faith" and revelation form the Holy Spirit as legitimate answers, within the context of your belief system. Most other atheists do, as well. Don't let your perception of atheists be colored by the bored trolls you encounter on HubPages (and similar venues). However, because we consider your belief system delusional, the scenario is indeed hopeless, at least insofar as exploring questions of faith.

To change the subject ENTIRELY, you live in Malaysia, right? The wife and I currently live in South Korea, and really have no aspirations ever to return to the US. Malaysia seems like an attractive option. I guess I'm asking, what is involved in taking up permanent residence in Malaysia, for someone who is considering doing so in a few years time?

7. By His Way profile image60
      By His Wayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If they dont "see" it, they just dont see it. Sometimes you have to quit casting "pearls" in order to avoid falling into fault ourselves.  Great question. Seed planted somewhere Im sure.

2. Jenna Pope profile image61
    Jenna Popeposted 11 years ago

Because the truth penetrates the nonbeliever and makes him or her feel uncomfortable.

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
      Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What "truth" is that? If you're referring to the "truth" found in the Bible, uhhhh, you need to find  "truth" from a better source. A source with actual credibilty, not a collection of fairy stories.

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years ago

....they love any opening to show us all that *cough* "intellectual superiority" they've fooled themselves with...

4. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

I see you now are attempting to twist things. Your individual basis for the path of thought you've chosen is empty.

Believer: God is real, God exists, God exist outside reality, God is omnipresent, God is omniscient, God is omnipotent.

All of these are assertions based on what exactly? It's not logic. It's not rationale. You received it through reading a book, which isn't logical or rational.

So, lets address your assertions before we get to the "God didn't do it" aspect.

God is real- This mean G/god exists in the physical world. Please point HIM out?

God exists- Really? Where?

God exists outside reality- Then HE is not real. Fairly simple to understand. If HE exists outside of reality then HE is not real. So assigning HE to IT is absurd. "HE" is a human characteristic. If G/god is a spirit existing in the spiritual realm? Then you have proven you're intellectually dishonest. The "spiritual realm" is mysticism. Mysticism was debunked years ago as being individually intellectually dishonest. If you're hearing this for the first time, then I'm saddened because you should have heard of it long ago.

God is omnipresent- This would mean that G/god is everywhere taking up every ounce of space available. There would be no atom or molecule with which isn't G/god. And, if you really want to take a journey down this road, then our reality would be a complete illusion because every ounce of everything in existence is G/god. Meaning, we don't exist in any physical form whatsoever. AND, if you want to take it further- then it could be said that we(everything known(including universe(s)) are actually INSIDE of G/god. Meaning there's nothing outside of G/god. Thus completely rendering all consciousness, spirituality, morality, reality and everything else in existence to be a mere nothing.

God is omniscient- This would mean that time has no meaning and every thought that ever existed would tracked and traced to every path of choices available. Therefore knows the outcome regardless. Well, to be honest any human can do that. It just takes a while to do it with a bit of concentrated effort.

God is omnipotent- This would mean all powerful and then that runs the paradox- that God isn't all powerful for the pure and simple fact that HE wouldn't be able to create a rock in which he himself wouldn't be able to move. So, with that said, anyone claiming their G/god is omnipotent is nothing more than a liar.

Hmmm...I wonder if there's any other arguments left?

But, to answer your question- there's no rhyme or reason to think a G/god exists to begin with, much less make a claim that IT didn't do something.

There's no logical or rational reason for a G/god to exist.

5. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

"God didn't do it?"
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6204135_f1024.jpg
    Yes He did.

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
      Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Looks like a hurricane or flash flood did that, not a mythical god.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image58
      Ron Montgomeryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, these sinners CHOSE to be disobedient.

So did God do this?

1. Ron Montgomery profile image58

God, purple unicorn, Sarah Palin's brain.....or some other mythical entity.

OK, so God was not responsible and neither was anything else by your reckoning...

I narrowed it down to 3 equal possibilities.

Can't wait to see you attempting an explanation before God about comparing Him to a horse with a horn and the brain of a half-blind women that wears too much make-up.

lol

You'll be in for a long wait.  If this god of yours does actually exist, the first thing I will do upon meeting him will be to inflict a righteous Rochambeau on his sorry ass.

Pahhleeeezzeee man! lol

Thanks for the laugh.. And the fly will swat me too right??

lol lol lol

6. GinaCPocan profile image60
    GinaCPocanposted 11 years ago

peeples, what your not understand of God, is written in the first Chapter of Genesis. He gives us freewill. Which means he doesn't interfere in our lives without asking. If he doesn't answer your request, that doesn't mean he didn't hear you, or didn't respond. Too many people assume if they don't get what they asked from him, that he doesn't care nor exist.  Sometimes his response is simply not to do anything. Since we aren't God, and can't possibly think Him, or understand his reasons, we resort to the old "He doesn't exist", mind set.
    God said we have freewill, he isn't a dictator God. He wants you love freely given as he freely gives it to you, he don't want fakers, that's what Lucifer did, and that's why he isn't in heaven.  He isn't going to dictate to mankind what they should or shouldn't do. Yes, he did lay out his rules and regulations that get you to heaven our final home. But, he isn't going to force anyone do submit to them. You choose if you want to live in heaven after your finished here, or if you want to spend eternity in Hell. You choose. You follow His rules, and you get to go to heaven, if you choose not to, well...then you don't. It's that simple. Every where you go there is rules even in this life.
    If you want to win that $10,000 sweepstakes, you have to play to win. They aren't just going to give you $10,000. Sometimes you have to perform things to get that money. You might not even like the tasks you have to preform to get it, but if you want it, you have to do them.
    Now, to your comment. I could say that as well actually. I didn't have a golden spoon childhood either. But, I don't say he didn't protect me. I'm still alive, I have seen His hand on people who hurt me. Not all of them, but some of them. The ones I didn't see vanished from my life so I didn't get to see what He did.
    Sometimes God himself puts things in our paths to teach us things. It's all in how you perceive or accept his guidance.
    My experiences in life has helped me grow closer to God rather then away from God. Because I know what happens here doesn't really matter. Your here for a very short time. Your there for eternity. Eternity is a long time.

You do realize that using the Bible as evidence to support ideas presented in the Bible is never going to convince anyone, right?

That is called "begging the question." It's a logical fallacy.

Examples of logical fallacy:
      The Bible is true because it says its true.
      I am awesome because I am so awesome.
      People should not eat cats because cats are not supposed to be eaten by people.
      Etc.

I am not trying to say you are right or wrong, just pointing out that you are trying to make a case using the source of your original claim as the source of the evidence for the claim too. You may be right, but you aren't proving it with arguments like you just made. You are actually working against yourself in the eyes of reasonable people who do not share your beliefs.

Until you can find another way to prove your points, nobody with an eye for reason and logic is going to believe you.

Gina, I'm glad that works for you, however I was raped everyday for over 10 years I can not accept that some god would allow that for the sake of giving someone else (my abuser) free will. Protecting me would have been seeing to it that it never happened to me.

I'm betting someone will swoop in here and tell you that was part of God's plan, and it was meant to make you stronger or some other hogwash.

Usually they just get quiet and uncomfortable.

1. GinaCPocan profile image60
            GinaCPocanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not quiet nor uncomfortable. I have my horror stories also. Yours isn't nay worse then mine.
            I'm not gonna swoop in here and telly it was Gods plan either. I'm not God, and I can't answer for him.
            I will say, first I am sorry this happened to you, secondly I am sorry you feel the way you do.
            Shades, I'm not using the Bible to prove anything. In fact, I'm not trying to prove anything at all. In fact, I really don't care if you believe or not. I give ya what I know, you take or or leave it, and apparently you left it, so what. No skin off my nose.  You got nothing, I got something who cares.
            The bible also tells me if a filthy man is filthy, let him be filthy still, if a holy man is holy, let him be holy still. Another words, I can't force anyone to believe anything. I can just give it and what they do with it is their is their business. 
            I don't even sweat that stuff.

1. Cagsil profile image71

Something who cares? Interesting statement.

Sorry you failed creative writing, but your supposed to pause the sentence at a colon, if you did that you would have understood it.

oops Im sorry I mean to say "If" you failed creative writing. My bad.

2. Cagsil profile image71

First off, I've never taken a creative writing class. I only remarked on the fact that I found your statement interesting. Apparently you have no interest in knowing why I found your statement interesting, which is evident from your response, which by the way was ego driven. Your humility will in the fact that you don't know how to use the forums, which is derived by your consecutive posts, which shows that you don't know where the edit button is on the forums.

In your haste to respond to my post, you made a mistake. Actually, you made several. Not to mention, the reason I posted my post was because your statement "something who cares" is irrational and shows your confusion.

Something? This means you're unable able to identify whatever it is.

Then you assign "who" to that something. If you're unable to identify it, then how can you rationally assign "who" to it? Much less would you know whether or not it cares.

Do try to enjoy your time in the forums. I can see from you low number of posts, that you don't visit often. And, don't let my post here persuade you into leaving the forums. I'm just pointing out what I am reading. That's all.

1. By His Way profile image60

Thats skill.  What do you do for a living?

2. GinaCPocan profile image60

Cagsil, ok I get it. It appeared to me you mistook my message. That's fine. I do apologize for my hastiness.

3. profile image0

You didn't use a colon.

"Creative writing" must be the kind where you use "your" instead of "you're". smile

a comma then, my bad.

7. profile image0
    Mtbailzposted 11 years ago

Because the person believing in something has to prove its existence. Think about it without using the concept of God. If I was to say there are unicorns on Earth whose duty would it be to prove its existence or non-existence? It would be mine of course. There is the the over-used quote that the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence, but if there is no evidence where there should be at least some then it can be safe to say it doesn't exist. This proves true for unicorns, Big Foot, and even the almighty himself.

Whatever

2. profile image0
      mariexotoniposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Mtbailz.

Try something: look up the religion of Haiti (voodoo) and watch the national geographic. What they do/believe might seem crazy to Christians..
      If you asked them to explain their religion to you- you'd think they're nuts.

And if you explained your religion to them, they would think you're religion is crazy.

it's sort of the same for a non-believer. Each thinking one another is crazy...
      But non-believer is a little bit more logical (to me anyways, I'm biased)

Well, I think there's plenty of evidence that people disregard, and then they claim "no evidence."

This evidence may be indirect, as obviously we can't see God's face.

But if technology comes about by innovation alone, "caused" by man, and parallel to that on a higher scale is the sophisticated machinery of the human body, how do we conclude innovation did not bring this similar system of far more intelligent design and greater capabilites into being?

In effect, only two possibilities exist. Something far more intelligent than us created us, or something far stupider accidentally became us, and even in the latter where did the far stupider come from? [i can't see the latter as logical in any fashion either, personally]

And to top it off, the entire universe of chemicals and black empty space operates in a complex manner with consistency and precision interacting as if alive.

An uncivilized tribe lost in the tropical forests somewhere that have a robot sent in to them may think it's alive because the properties given to it came from life - us.

But in fact the materials were programmed to operate in a fashion which without the cause - us- there would be no life-like property for the tribe people to notice.

I think the "laws" of physics are about as blatent as it gets that intelligence far beyond our comprehension exists and had the major role in our coming in to being.

3. Jesus was a hippy profile image59
      Jesus was a hippyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is never safe to say god doesnt exist in the deep south. Someone will jump you in the night and stab you in the heart with their bible.

If someone jumps you and stabs you in the heart with their bible (I have no idea how that's possible, but anyway...) They aren't being Christian. God doesn't want us forcing our beliefs on anyone. We are supposed to give it to them and let them do as they will with it.
        Yes the bible is complexed, but it can be understood. That's why we bible study.

1. profile image0
          Mtbailzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not exactly Gina. The Old Testament is pretty explicit when describing what should be done to non-believers. It's not pretty. Maybe those who follow the Bible word for word would be more Christian than those who pick and choose what they wish to follow from that same ancient text.

The Old Testament, means Old Agreement.

Which is why there is a New Agreement as soon as the Saviour came.

smile

1. profile image0

Well yes and no Vector. I mean yes in the sense that it was the old agreement between God and his chosen people, but no in the sense the Jesus is explicit about following the old testament. He, in his own words, was not here to destroy the laws of old; only to fulfill them all.

“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished.  Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.”  Matthew 5:18-19

1. profile image0

Thank you Mark!.

I rarely quote the babble - it gives the wrong impression. Still - if you wait around long enough (not very - no doubt one of the believers will stop by to explain why using "scripture to interpret scripture," (the process of ignoring contradictions by using one part to say another part gets ignored)) this doesn't count. lol

2. vector7 profile image61

Fulfill indeed:

John 19:30

King James Version

30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

By: Jesus Christ

wink

1. profile image0

You and I both know, Vector, that this is not what Jesus meant by "it is finished". He was talking about his sacrifice on the cross, not the fulfillment of laws. It's not logical or ethical to take things out of context.

Nope.

Jesus came to save didn't he?

Why? Because no one could fulfill [follow] the "Law" such as was given to God's chosen people the Israelites, the Nation of Abraham.

When He "finished" the sacrifice, John 15:13 and 3:16, He fulfilled the Law in our stead to be the Saviour.

Buddy, Christ is my King. I've spent more time in the scriptures than you have on the toilet....

His sacrifice was BECAUSE we cannot fulfill, or follow, all of the Law and thereby deserve consequence. Christ is sinless, because He never sinned. [never broke the Law of God]

When He said it is finished, He meant He lived the perfect life and followed the Law down to every Iota and Dot for us. John 10:15 - FULFILLED.

smile

2. aguasilver profile image69

Actually, far from being finished, Christ's ministry had just begun.

The reference is more towards the fact that the enemy had lost the war, no matter what, because Christ had defeated the enemies greatest weapon: death.

The law no longer held effect to condemn us, still useful guidelines, but no longer binding unless you place yourself under them, a new age had truly begun when Christ defeated death and rose in victory.

Of course the enemy still runs battles with humanity to try and deceive us, but those battles will be won or lost individually, the war was won by Christ alone, and nothing can ever change the outcome.

You just need to win a few battles, and again with Christ as your defender, knowing He has your back, you don't need to fear, you will win, if you follow the instructions.

2. By His Way profile image60

This is true.

lol

1. By His Way profile image60

Well, it is. *shrug*

What can I say other than repeat my favorite quote:  "Freaks...every group has em."

Jesus Freak

Yeah. That's me.

big_smile

8. profile image0
    mariexotoniposted 11 years ago

Oh and my answer to this question

Believers often don't have any logical arguments. (know I might get jumped on for this)

And you believe the stuff in the bible, which has a lot of contradictions, brings up a lot of unanswered questions, and it just.. doesn't make sense. Sometimes I feel the world would be better without religion.. people have to understand the world works perfectly without it. But maybe we need religion because that's what gives people an idea of "purpose".. I think just existing in this universe is pretty neat

mariexotoni, you have to study it to understand it. Its not designed to just read it and "Poof" there it is.
      It is a complexed book. but it takes a hell of a lot of study and reading, not reading it from cover to cover and think you will know anything when your done. Because you won't. Your mind has to be clear, and opened to grasp the points made. Its not as simple as reading Harry Potter.

1. profile image0

I've heard people talk that have studied it plenty. I use to go to church for about four years.

In the real world, people talk to hear themselves talk. Even among Christians. many say they read, but don't. 
          Going to church without a constant study of the bible (If your wanting and understanding of it) is frivolous. I'm not knocking going to church. But you want an understanding. You won't get it without coupling it with true bible study.

1. profile image0

After looking at the historicity of the Bible it just does not fit with reality. Studying does bring a sense of metaphorical understanding but to jump to the conclusion that it actually depicts real events is like thinking the Lord of the Rings was a real series of events. The lessons learned can be enlightening (although many are a bit barbaric and grotesque) but to take a story and then claim it's real is a true mistake.

mtbailz, it doesn't fit your reality. If you realize your talking about a God here, not Houdini, its safe to believe he is capable of all things. It doesn't have to  make sense to you. You think and logic like a man, he thinks and logics like a God.
              He Created everything. Light, dark, good and bad.  Material, and immaterial. No comparison to The Lord of the Rings at all.  They're not stories, They are books much like a diary.
              Believe as you wish..

1. profile image0

Most historians would have to disagree, but if you are willing to live on faith alone that's fine with me; just keep it to yourself.

Keep yours then.

You have faith in man buddy. Or evo.. Or the chair your butt is sitting in.

Considering your thoughts are plastered all over the thread I'd be nice instead of telling people not to speak their opinion when you are boldy.

Unless you're better?

big_smile

2. profile image0

Well most Christians don't know what's in the bible, when they should in order to defend their beliefs with at least semi-logical, respectable arguments besides 'he just did'

Well, yes they should, but they don't unfortunately. But this is what Church is for. No I'm not contradicting myself. Remember above I said "if your wanting an understanding".
              In most Christian faiths, the most important part of the bible in John 3:16 where it says "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not parish but have everlasting life".  Every thing else in the bible is important, but Christians focas on Salvation. Blessed is he who believes and not seen. That's called faith.
              But some Christians do want a better understanding. As I said, if you want a better understanding then you will study your bible.

We shouldn't have to defend our faith to anyone.  That's like telling us we should defend the color of our skin, the town we live in, the school we go to.
              It's our faith, let us be. As I have said before, believe as you wish.

1. profile image0

you have a very false idea of understanding. there is so much truth out there.. just seek it! it doesn't lie in christianity believe it or not

smile I have the Truth. I don't have a false idea of understanding, my dear. You have blinded yourself. But that's ok.  You have that right, and I'm not going to beat you in the head with it. I have nothing to prove. I am content with my faith.   I have accepted yours as your own. Why can't you accept mine, as my own?

1. profile image0

finally.. you have nothing to prove. thanks Gina. goodnight.

It's wrote in a deeper fashion than man-made thought.

A single point may be wrapped in an entire 4 chapters, yet the point may be immensely important.

The contradictions exist because God used man to write it, and chose specific events to teach us with. It's like a record of experiences.

I know what the OT looks like, and I also know people can nit-pick the text.

And that's exactly what they do before they ever start seeing the truth in it.

It's a "meanings" book, not a 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 steps to success laid out like people think should be because that's the way people write.

If you learn from others mistakes you don't have to suffer the pain yourself, and if you are to learn right from wrong you have to see both.

You can't understand something that is hidden or that never happens, so you can't prevent the bad unless the record includes it.

I know someone will pick at this the same way, but people don't become Christians overnight.. They hear, read, and see until one day something clicks, and then it's downhill from there.

There is truth in the Bible, and some have seen it and others fight to prove it isn't there.

1. profile image0

Everyone just makes up what the bible means as they go along- whatever doesn't make sense it's a metaphor, whatever does, then woo there's proof.

i can't be apart of a discussion like this and stay civil when i'm arguing with nonsense and illogical..
                nvm.
                good day to both of you, best wishes. smile hope you find the light of truth- it's beautiful

Well goodness. Consider the nerve struck.

Sounds like something got to crawling under your skin there.

No, I made nothing up. Even denied parts of the OT in the past.

Good to see you smiling with those harsh words... lol

smile

1. profile image0

I apologize. You have been very sweet and thorough with your replies. I'm more nervey and irritated with Gina. Your arguments have more value and I apologize for snapping

9. eternals3ptember profile image60
    eternals3ptemberposted 11 years ago

God doesn't exist!

Prove it!

There is no solid proof he does.

Ha! See? You can't disprove him!

That's not how it works. When you make a claim that something exists, you need proof. Burden of proof falls to the claimer, not "disproof" falling to the un-claimer.

Even if God came behind you and kicked you in your tail end, you would say "That wasn't him". You refuse to see anything. That's your fault.

This is untrue. There is simply no proof.

This is why your religion causes so many fights. That's your fault.

lol

You are living proof of God Mark.

What, with your enmity toward the very idea no matter the circumstance.

And your justification of it by accustions toward human beings..

I'd say you alone would give me sufficient peace of mind to go all in on the bet..

wink

Christianity does not cause fights. People hell bent on proving something they can't prove themselves does. We don't seek out unbelievers, they seek us out.

Quite right. You cannot prove your claims, so you start fights. Guess you actually agree with me then?

Proof?

Cause for first life please?

Unless you haven't got proof for that part of your "faith."

Need we review EMF for mine?

smile

2. profile image0

I'm sorry GinaCPocan, but I can't read these comments anymore. You are far too hostile, which is why I'm hesitant to post any hubs on Christianity, because god forbid

but read this
        http://wisesloth.wordpress.com/2010/11/ … hristians/

LOL! Me Hostile? that's really funny, Ok, if you say so.What makes me sound hostile because I said if God came behind him and kicked him in the tail end? Oh WOW! i think you might be a little too sensitive.
          Your the first who ever called me hostile. LOL! I guess there's always a first.
          You won't post any hubs on Christianity? Why? I won't read your hubs, if that's troubling.
          Your entitled to your beliefs, as I am mine.

I am, and I know of many at hubpages, who are not a product of the "closed" cycle.

If I were, then I wouldn't have previously doubted, researched, new information, faith restored, doubted, researched, new information, faith restored, doubted, researched.. etc and so forth.

I've followed my intellect immensely, but scrutiny of anything in a pre-concieved light can be the very "closed" cycle described in the beginning of the article.

My bias is a direct result of my studies.. Do I like the idea of eternal life? Yes.

Did I ever while researching consider the possibility likely? NO.

Many like to say all Christians are closed minded bigots, but I've found the truth is there are open-minded and closed-minded people in both groups, believing and non-believing.

Those who are open-minded and have a passion for knowing the truth will put forth the effort and they will find the truth.

3. eternals3ptember profile image60
        eternals3ptemberposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Gina, you've got that steadfast resolutness that I so admire in a person

You're picking a single side. Weighing options requires two opposite options and an investigation into both.

Otherwise, turn around, face the field, and pee in the wind...

Because that's all your going to be doing with a one sided scale.

1. profile image0

i bet any non-believer has done that.

1. profile image0

i know i have.

I like your honesty.

Believers [myself in this case.. smile] start nuetral and as they stack on weights of what is sufficient "evidence" for them they begin to conclude.

And with years of research refined by questions from atheists and curious non-believers I couldn't doubt it for another second any longer. [I've doubted and switched plenty in the past due to arguments]

So now that I've weighed and continue stacking information that appeals to my personally accepted insight, I also admit I now have a bias.

But I still have two platforms on the scale, the non-God side of the scale simply rarely gets any weights.. I see none to add.

2. eternals3ptember profile image60

Woah, bud, assume my comments are laced with large amounts of cynicism and sarcasm. Except for this one, being serious here

1. profile image0

why are believers hard to talk to? i don't understand and it upsets me.

1. eternals3ptember profile image60

Its faith... I think of myself as Catholic gone pantheist-esque, so you gotta understand that it isnt logic. Religion is like an asthetic judgement, you like it or you dont, no logic. You are or you arent. It is upsetting when people take it so seriously though... Meh, what can you do? Live y let live

What do you want to know, or discuss?

I'll be as kind, honest, and sincere as I can. If you actually want sincere dialogue, it would actually be refreshing.

I think I've already replied to a couple of your posts without any sarcasm at all above. Pretty sure at least [not checking, might be wrong.]

3. GinaCPocan profile image60

I have never been accused of being difficult to talk to..
            But when it comes to my faith, I will take a stand. I won't budge. My faith is strong. Its all logical to me. Opposite ideas doesn't upset me, I simply let them know they won't change me. Call it what you want, but it's not fair to slam someones beliefs into the ground, simply because someone else differs. I don't get upset, I may have in my youth, but I have settled.
            Maybe we are hard to talk to because many of us are contented, and sometimes we feel invaded. Also our faith teaches us certain things in how we are to be on certain issues.
            If we believe in the bibles teachings, we won't sway back and forth. We won't accept certain ideas, because it's part of our faith.

But, your beliefs are nonsense. This is why you need to seek out unbelievers and try and defend them.

This is why your religion causes so many fights. Good that you admit you are totally closed minded I suppose. Most believers lie and say they are open minded.

As a matter of interest - why is it not fair to "slam your beliefs into the ground" exactly? If you hold ridiculous beliefs - surely you should expect to be ridiculed?

Bang explanation please.

Not the aftermath either, the before.

big_smile

????? Who, what, where??

That's the idea.. yes.. lol

smile

"Mark Knowlesposted 6 hours ago in reply to this
                But, your beliefs are nonsense. This is why you need to seek out unbelievers and try and defend them."

This just sounded so ludicrous.

"This is why your religion causes so many fights. Good that you admit you are totally closed minded I suppose. Most believers lie and say they are open minded. "

If I'm closed minded, then I'm closed minded, then. That's my prerogative. I'm not on this earth to you and the rest of your baiters happy. I do not have to submit to you. If a Christian tells you they're open minded, then in truth they aren't being true to their faith, because the bible tells us to separate ourselves from worldly things. It doesn't say to hate, dislike, or treat others who are different, badly. It doesn't say to ignore anyone, it does say to separate ourselves. If you don't understand this, what can I do? I can't explain it to you because you won't hear it.
                We don't cause fights Mark. Get real with yourself.
                Perfect example: This thread owner politely asked nonbelievers (as you call yourselves) not to bring this rhetoric to their thread. What do you all do, you all uninvitingly brought your rhetoric to their thread.  That is starting fights. You all cause fights. None of these Christians caused any fights. You want to fight. So, get a backbone and take ownership of your actions.

Oh and just for the record, I don't have a religion, I have a relationship with Jesus Christ. But, you wouldn't understand that.

As a matter of interest - why is it not fair to "slam your beliefs into the ground" exactly? If you hold ridiculous beliefs - surely you should expect to be ridiculed?

This is such barbaric thinking, and hilarious. It's not fair, dude. I shouldn't have to explain that. Not if your a mature adult. Maybe your not. LOL!

No - I don't understand this - sorry. You make ridiculous statements. Surely it is not unreasonable to point this out?

Explain why not please, because I don't understand.

Its unreasonable to nit pic. its also unreasonable to ask for explanations that you won't accept anyway.

2. janesix profile image60
                  janesixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, most christians claim to not have a religion.

You guys are funny.

We think you all are too. smile

If they'd read the book of James in the Bible they'd have that err cleaned up in their thoughts.

It states what is is quite plainly.

3. peeples profile image93

It would be kind if you stopped using the word "All" Gina.

"What do you all do, you all uninvitingly brought your rhetoric to their thread." Not "all" of us!

Why would you even respond to it, if it doesn't pertain to you? The Alls know who they are. But for the record, you on here too with your negative inputs also that the thread owner had asked people NOT to do. So yes, the Alls pertain to you also.

10. dmoney4god profile image61
    dmoney4godposted 11 years ago

God is real but as humans we lose focus and take are eyes off God. So sometimes He may do things to show us His power so we can once again put are mind and our heart back to Him. The link below explains His power in a poem.

http://dmoney4god.hubpages.com/hub/The-Power-Is-God

11. Druid Dude profile image59
    Druid Dudeposted 11 years ago

These same arguments have gone on since mankind started down the road to here. Blah, blah, blah!smile

12. Druid Dude profile image59
    Druid Dudeposted 11 years ago

Or in the christian's case, Baa, baa,baa!smile

1. eternals3ptember profile image60

I lol'd

lol..

Baa, baa, baa

Just adding my two cents

smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)