Can I Lose My Salvation?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Leaderofmany profile image61
    Leaderofmanyposted 11 years ago

If you sin enough and horrible enough can you lose your salvation?

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Saved from what?

If you mean saved from hell what definition of hell are you using? There are so many in circulation.

If you mean the Lake of Fire (whatever that actually is) no nobody is saved from it until the judgement throne where God makes the decision about who is in and who is out. That decision is based upon names in the book of life which incidentally the bible does not explicitly state how to get your name written into.

Thus gaining or loosing salvation is not determined until the resurection.

1. profile image54
        Robertr04posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey DH, I see you have been studying. You might find out a little earlier where you stand (Rev. 16).

1. Paul Wingert profile image61
          Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, read the book comprised of humorous and rediculous stories (yes, I mean the Bible) to get your answer. Or, just maybe, you can think for yourself and get a better answer. First of all, sin is an ancient, man-made invention designed to keep people in line and under control.  Now go from there.

2. By His Way profile image59
      By His Wayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We are not to judge the heart of another, but we can look at the "fruit" produced in someone's life to kind of know where they might be in their belief. My only thought really on your question would be to ask if they are really saved to begin with. Mind you, we continue to sin after being saved, but there is more of a sensitivity to conviction that leads to repentance and a desire/effort to not try and make the same mistakes again. Sometimes we have issues that are "thorns in our side" that we will deal with our entire life. Why? I don't know. We all have our weaknesses. I think the key is if there is true repentance afterwards. True repentance is acknowledging the sin and trying not to do it again. So, again...my answer is a question:  Are they really saved to begin with...it's more than just saying a prayer. That's the beginning, but there's more growing to be done. It's a total change of heart and mind that begins to happen; therefore our desires to sin/not sin change.

3. By His Way profile image59

I worry about this too, and there are some verses that keep me on my toes:

Rev. 3:16  So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

Luk 8:13 They on the rock [are they], which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.

1 Timothy 1: 5-7  The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. 6 Some have departed from these and have turned to meaningless talk. 7 They want to be teachers of the law, but they do not know what they are talking about or what they so confidently affirm.

So you see, it's possible for us to get that off track.

This isn't about faltering that you're asking though. Rather, you're asking about losing completely your salvation.

Really, it's not that we "lose" it. It's that we TURN from it. There's a big difference! Salvation has been won and already given to us! From there, it's our choice! And there are lots of scripture on it to tell us when we are headed down that path and what to do. I love google. I just type in "verse about" and then add in whatever issue I'm looking for, and voila. Praying for ya!!

4. AshtonFirefly profile image71
      AshtonFireflyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Did doing good things get you saved?

1. profile image54

Just one of many requirements. To be saved you must endure until the end. Saved from what? You still die, you are still diseased stricken, you are still living in sin, so what are you saved from? No man is saved, only those who endure until the end, shall be saved (Matt. 24:13).To endure till the end means you must obey the Father's Truth/Word, which is the law, until death or upon the return of His Son. Plain and simple. Do not be deceived.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image71

Hmm...So at what point does one do "too much" sinning? After a really heinous crime? After so many lies?
          My comment was meant to point out that I never saw "good works" as ever being a requisite for salvation, in my study of the Bible.In fact, it's quite clearly pointed out that our "good works" are filthy.
          Not that we shouldn't do them. But my emphasis was on one's heart condition, not necessarily one's actions.

1. profile image54

It really would not be to your benefit to repeatedly repent for the same thing. This would show mockery towards The Father. No one will be saved on good works alone. There is a matter of obedience and faith that will be taken into consideration among other things, I'm sure. Faith may very well be the chief agent. Naw, you can't lie to Him, He can read your heart. " Lord, Lord, have I not done great works in your Name....

1. AshtonFirefly profile image71

Sometimes we do the same wrong thing over and over. I think if the person is truly repentant, that is one thing. If they're not, God'll know. So it's more of a heart issue than it is a deeds issue..

1. kess profile image61
                kessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What then is the wrong thing to do....?

I tell you truly, the wrong thing is thinking that you can do the wrong thing.
                This man repentance is actually strenghtening root of sin in himself, by thinking he can turn away from doing the wrong thing and do right.

The man who thinks, right will always do right and he.shall find no condemnation in himself.

Thinking right is thinking that you can do no wrong.....

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image59
                  Jesus was a hippyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So if I think everything is right, like murder, then I can do no wrong?

Interesting. roll

1. kess profile image61

This is why freedom comes only when you stop the wrong thinking...

what is murder? Is it not the result of wrong thinking.

2. AshtonFirefly profile image71

Not really sure I understand what you are trying to say hmm sorry...

2. Disappearinghead profile image60
          Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Many obey God's Truth/Word without calling themselves Christians, but by living in accordance with their good conscience. I guess they will be saved then.

So at least we can agree that salvation is by obedience to what we know is right, not by believing a set of doctrines, and confirms that judgement is in accordance with what each of us has done in life.

5. kess profile image61

Tje one who believes his salvation can  be lost  will lose it.

1. By His Way profile image59

I have to disagree. If one believes they may/can lose something they want, wouldn't that more than likely keep them on their toes in effort not to lose it?

1. profile image54

That sounds good to me.

2. kess profile image61

What then is salvation? Is it a cycle of faith and fear?
          I tell you in such a man, the fear dominates and that man is dead.

For unless assurance comes that man is not free from death which is take it form through that man fear.

So evidently Salvation is freedom from death. And if the man still fears then salvation is still far from him.

When I said lost, it not to imply that he once had it, it just a manner of speaking according to the understanding of the man.

Language barrier perhaps smile  I think I understand what you're getting at now. Basically, if someone fears (questions) their own salvation then they may not be saved? I agree with that. Yes.

"What then is salvation? Is it a cycle of faith and fear?"

Acceptance of Christ into our hearts and then a life of continually seeking God, a process of failures, repentence and healings that form us into His image over time. A definite process.

Fear? Not the kind of fear that makes you doubt or worry or cause confusion. A righteous fear of God is an ultimate respect of God.

1. kess profile image61

There is only one faith...and that is Life
              There is only one fear...that is death.

If ones faith incorporates fear then his faith is nullified by his fear....this is why death still reigns over those who have a.claim of faith

I'm sorry. I'm just having a somewhat difficult time understanding your points exactly. smile

6. PlanksandNails profile image79
      PlanksandNailsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Usually when you lose something it is because you have lost track of that particular thing.

People keep track of what is most important to them because of its genuineness, value, and power it has in that person's life. There are protocols and preventative measures that are in place if the item or thing becomes vulnerable.

With that said, without any of these, the authenticity  of the thing would come into question.

2. Hugh Williamson profile image77
    Hugh Williamsonposted 11 years ago

Concepts like salvation and god generate different responses depending on a person's beliefs.

If god created flawed humans so he could send them to hell when they screwed up, he/she must have some serious issues. Salvation from such a psychotic character is very desirable indeed.

There are many, many people who hold that believing in a religion isn't necessarily the same as believing in a god, and to them the issue of "salvation" is a non issue.

1. profile image54

You know Hugh, I've read many threads since coming to hubpages. There are those on both sides, for and against. I stay out of the conversations unless I just here something that's flat out not so and even then I normally choose to keep my commits to myself because there will be nothing gained. People have the right to believe what they want. I believe that ALL the questions will be answered. So for believers and non-believers alike," let those with a ear hear." That's about all that will be accomplished in the never ending debates.

Well said.

1. profile image54

BHW, you might want to get this book, Take Every Bite Seriously by Laketa McCauley. Right down your alley.

Done   smile  Thank you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)