Is it really fair to force people to buy health insurance?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (108 posts)
  1. backporchstories profile image72
    backporchstoriesposted 11 years ago

I know in my life, I can not afford health insurance until a job with decent pay comes my way.  I have been unemployeed for eight months now and find work hard to come by in my tiny neck of the woods here in Kentucky.  Also, when it comes to medicial treatment, I am very old school...we use our knowledge of herbs and other alternative healing.  There may be times when a doctor or hospital care is recommended, but we would foot the bill without insurance.  Yet, why is the medical cost so high that we have to rely on insurance industry to pay the bills?  Is it really fair to make people prepay for medical they may never use?

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's not fair in any sense of the word.

2. John Holden profile image61
      John Holdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're unemployed but if one of you ended up in hospital in a vegetative state you would foot the bill yourself!

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, John.  I've been footing the bill myself for quite some time now.  I can't afford to purchase insurance at private rates.  When the government makes THAT possible, I'll be happy to do so.  But, until they do THAT rather than fine me for not purchasing health insurance I cannot afford, I will never support Obamacare.  Sorry.

2. backporchstories profile image72
        backporchstoriesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In our tradition, John, it would be time that the Creator is calling forward one of his children.......that is some of what is wrapped up in the Indian phrase you might hear that says, "today is a good day to die".

1. JSChams profile image61
          JSChamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your heart is in the right place. I am glad to hear this from someone working out their issues without handout. Bless you.

3. Ron Montgomery profile image61
        Ron Montgomeryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

1. John Holden profile image61
          John Holdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe they wouldn't have a leg to stand on lol

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
            Ron Montgomeryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There are televangelists in that part of the U.S. who promise to make your bills just go away.  You send the bills to the preacher, he prays for God to absolve you of your financial responsibility, and just like that - no more bills!  (the preacher then remembers to mention that the prayers are more effective when you send a sizable donation along with the bills).

3. Friendlyword profile image60
      Friendlywordposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"Is it really fair to make people prepay for medical they may never use?"

Something as simple as a bee sting or a peanut could put you in a coma.  It's a juvinile idea to think you would never need medical care. And a serious illness or accident would generate medical bills you can't pay for without selling your house.  If you're a person of means that can cover all your medical cost without ever burdenening the rest of us with your emergency room bills or long term hospice or nursing home care, I don't think you should be required to buy medical insurance.

1. Repairguy47 profile image60
        Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

What about those who burden us with paying for their food,housing,drug problems? Maybe a tax should be levied on those who cant pay their own way, you're probably all for that...Right?

1. Josak profile image60
          Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well no obviously we should just let those people die.

2. Friendlyword profile image60

WHAT!...

That's who my taxes should pay for! Not some creep that wants to sponge off the rest of society while bragging about how FREEDOM means so much to him!  Freedom means people have the right to be free of your medical bills.  You don't deserve my tax money! Poor people are a part of my community I'm abliged to take care of...not you, the people that want to freeload on us, just because you can!

1. peeples profile image93
            peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In my community the free loaders are the poor people. The ones who get high while complaining about the lack of jobs available. The meth heads who get pregnant 6 times and have medicaid for every pregnancy that tax payers pay for. The middle class are seldom the free loaders. They usually work for a living. The poor are poor for a reason. Some may have a good excuse but many are busy getting drunk, high, or blowing their money on nice rims while collecting section 8 housing and EBT.

1. Friendlyword profile image60

"In my community the free loaders are the poor people."

Bernie Maddoff needs your financial support right now! Shell Oil is really in need of your tax money. Their needs and behavior are much more deserving of your sympathy and money.  Oh...I heard JP Morgan could use a little of your help and understanding too!

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6832136_f248.jpg

This is a whole lot of what I am hearing.

Why do stupid people waste their time smelling the behind of poor people?  Wall Street crooks stole your house, took away your grandmothers's pension and won't give you a loan to get back on your feet.  Idiots need to get off their knees, turn around from that poor guys' butt, and look to those that are working towards destroying you!

Crooks didn't steal houses. People got loans they wouldn't be able to afford or that had adjustable rates or balloon payments. People are or at least need to be responsible for their own actions. I'm sorry you feel wronged but reality is every poor person in this country has the opportunity to do something with themselves. If they choose not to then so be it. I don't understand how being responsible for our own actions is so hard! I have been poor, all it takes is a little work and people don't have to be poor!

2. peeples profile image93

You realize your statement has NOTHING to do with insurance right? They pay their hospital bills. Don't blame the rich people because some people CHOOSE to live poorly and live with a hand out asking for more.

3. Repairguy47 profile image60

Bernie Maddoff is getting my help, I pay taxes!

2. Repairguy47 profile image60

So if I am poor and cannot afford health insurance you dont mind paying for it. Why then do we need Obamacare?

We live humble and do not have our hand out!  We live the way God instructed us!  We are doing just fine!

That is awesome to here! I wish the world had more people like you! I'm not religious but if he keeps you happy and motivated to work through life without being angry at the world because you aren't rich then that is great!

Oh she will not be appreciated by most of those here. I know from experience.

I noticed that....JSChams!  But it is alright.  We all do live differently.  Its okay!

4. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

God forbid you get sick or injured and need it. Do you want to receive a bill in the mail for $20-30 K just because you don't have any health insurance coverage?

My belief lies in natural...hololistic healing.  But I do understand the advantages of emergency care.  I live with a healer and we give out the medicine freely.  It is our way.  But this one stipulation in this law is infringing on our lives.  We live humble and not money to spare.  We do not want our lives to be governed my money, yet we see it at times as a neccessary evil.  What to do...what to do....

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
          Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Read the entire healthcare bill for one. If you are financially challenged, you are given a waver. It's the ones who can easily afford healthcare insurance and refuse to do so are the ones penalized. Working class people and small businesses are given tax breaks to cover health insuarance.

This is good to know.

5. Josak profile image60

If you are struggling to make ends meet then your healthcare will be free, if you are already covered your scheme will remain the same in cost and coverage except that the maximum spending limit will be raised to 750 000 until 2014 and unlimited after 2014, if you cannot get covered because of pre-existing conditions now you can.

Actually my  husband is covered by the VA.  He served during Nam.  Our union as a couple is with a sacred pipe done in a tribal traditional way and we have no papers to regster this act with the governing bodies.  So I am currently jobless and without insurance.  We live in the country of sparse population, because my husband is in need of the space to ease his PTSD.  And yes, healers can have issues and it is through these issues that they are considered hollow bones and through which the Creator works the healing process, believe it or not.  So I am the issue of a non-insured!  I don't want to be penialized for my choice.  But I do herald a good majority of the bill and what changes it offers for those who need and use the insurance!

2. glmclendon profile image60
    glmclendonposted 11 years ago

It was my understanding, if you could not afford it, you pay what had been set up with you and the government.
    Someone is going to pay anytime you go to the ER. If we all pay a little it will help with the cost. We will all get sick at some point in our life. I don't think the plan is perfect, but I think we may be on the road to getting something done.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I heard that when I was watching the news. Some of the provisions are good and they took effect already, however in 2014, it will start to be fully operational. Initially when I heard the news from CNN about the taxation and upon initial computation the tax is really negligible. I researched some more and it is less than 100 USD in a year for a household earning 60,000 plus, if you don't have insurance. Comparing to other things we pay, car insurance, homeowners etc. that is affordable. You don't need to be fined, you just need to buy your own. Most companies provide health insurance anyway if you work. A little bit of change in the hiring process.

I can see the health reform law as positive, like you said, it is really good when something is being done to solve health problems.   

I think this is the best thing that any government can do, to safeguard the basic needs of the people - health security. Health is not a product (that is the argument of some - they forced a product for you to buy) - it is a basic need like housing and education.

I see this pooling of resources in small homeowners association, you pay dues for security, cleanliness etc. At some point, the fear about losing freedom when you live in a society is theoretical and moot.

My basic understanding about economics, supply and demand law - if many will buy insurance the cost is lowered. People will have peace of mind getting preventive check ups because they are confident they are covered. Preventive measures are the best ways to safeguard health bec. degenerative diseases require early detection. These generative diseases - heart, cancer, diabetes are the top causes of mortality in the US.

In the end health is wealth, a healthy nation is productive!

2. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you when it comes to people being able to receive health insurance.

3. JSChams profile image61
    JSChamsposted 11 years ago

I am making inquiries with some in political circles I know about a national referendum on this law.
    No folks, the Presidential election will not be that referendum. Mitt Romney will not do anything.

4. John Holden profile image61
    John Holdenposted 11 years ago

That's a point Prettydarkhorse, how many of these screaming about their loss of freedom live in gated communities with guards and all the trappings?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile smile

yeah.....!!!1

5. JSChams profile image61
    JSChamsposted 11 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6832336_f248.jpg

Here's truth.

1. Josak profile image60

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHH  your complete ignorance never ceases to amaze me, Abraham Lincoln never said that, it's a lie. The Pamphlet was written more than fifty years after he died.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/lincoln/prosperity.asp

Well dang if you aren't right.

By the way, I still have some respect for you. Let's keep it that way ok?

1. Josak profile image60

Sure, fair enough, it just irks me that people argue from ignorance and don't check their facts, a lot of the political argument would be solved if people put some effort into learning the facts.

I have a tendency to look at what the principles in the issue are doing. You learn a lot about a situation by behavior.

2. Repairguy47 profile image60

Who cares who said it? Its still true.

3. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey Josak,

Regardless of whether or not Abraham Lincoln said it, it doesn't change the fact of the words, the sentence structure and the common sense of the context, isn't going to change.

Nice distraction technique. hmm

1. Josak profile image60

So it's ok to totally misquote people, to attribute the words of a racist preacher to one of the most respected men in American history, that should be let slide? I commented later that i agreed with the statement I just disagreed on where those lines are drawn.

1. Cagsil profile image70

Attribute to a racist preacher?

The words themselves are NOT racist, so again, it matter NOT where or who said it.

JSChams just pulled a picture off the Internet, big deal. You're making more out of something, just to be a pain in the A$$.

Grow up.

1. Josak profile image60

Do you actually understand why we quote people? What purpose that serves? go learn it, misusing it is wrong. I had never seen that image before but as soon as I did i knew it was bull, one second later I had evidence of it, that is called checking the facts which is something everyone should do before they post a piece of "information" that is intellectual honesty, maybe you don't check your facts maybe you don't think they are important certainly often enough you don't know them but I think they are the basis on any discussion and to misrepresent them kills any chance of an honest exchange which people learn from.

I didn't do it to be an A$$ I did it because I respect the facts, and checking my info, you should try it.

2. Jane Bovary profile image85
      Jane Bovaryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I see it more as a kind of propaganda designed to keep people in their place and not rock the status quo. Although it seems to be good sound advice, it's all weighted toward the powerful. According to Snopes,  those maxims were coined in 1916 by the director of the pro-employer, anti-trade union Citizens Industrial Alliance and those were the interests he was serving. They were essentially anti-strike messages.."you cannot help the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer"..."you cannot further the brotherhood of man by encouraging class hatred". Sub-text -  don't threaten the rich and don't organise for yourselves. And of course, it's anti-welfare. If you are poor and desperate, don't expect any help or share in the common wealth because that would mean you are *weak*.

Interesting interpretation. hmm

6. Alternative Prime profile image56
    Alternative Primeposted 11 years ago

Maybe the dissenters should adhere to the "Marco Rubio Solution" - Simplistic yet a very effective one size fits all Proclamation & Remedy -

He actually suggested something similar to the following -

"If you don't like the idea of all Americans enjoying the benefits of the most comprehensive health care coverage at the most affordable premiums which ObamaCare aka The Affordable Health Care Act" will provide, just move to another country" -

Essentially, that's what he said with respect to "RomneyCare" - A solution which could easily be translated nationwide -

What a brilliant VP choice this guy would make for the individual who eventually emerges as Republican Nominee -

7. kathyjones1952@at profile image60
    kathyjones1952@atposted 11 years ago

You can't force anybody to do anything.  I don't know how anybody can manage without health insurance, though, because medical bills are so high!  If people without health insurance ever needed serious surgery, they would be in trouble!

Really?
      Health insurance wouldn't be required, if health related industries weren't gouging what they can from the general public.

Doctors don't compete for business. It's already in high demand because of the irresponsibility of government governing the Economy.

People via mass media, marketing and advertising directed at subconscious emotions, beamed into every home with a TV or online, are being purposely manipulated for an agenda that leads to only one place- power and wealth.

If people took their health more serious and government was actually honest, such as the EPA, FDA and a host of other agencies, then the country wouldn't be as bad off as it is presently. Obesity is huge in America. What does that tell you? HIGHER medical costs because of the demand required for treating it.

Getting affordable health care in America is put big pharma in it's place and legitimize herbal supplements as methods which can naturally heal for those who would rather NOT use prescription medicine. As it stands, prescription medicine is being handed out like it's candy. It's absurd.
      Actually, that would be untrue. They could go in and get treatment. No one can be denied treatment especially if it is life threatening. Some people might elect not to have the surgery and accept the consequences. Why would someone be willing to do that? Because, they have lived long enough to see how things became worse and rather leave this world with the hope that others might break through BS, and make a change after they are gone.

I can already tell you, I live with my mother who has a great many things wrong with her presently. She is on a prescription medicine which is monitored because the insurance company refuses to allow her the surgery she would need to have in order to get off the prescription medicine she is on. The surgery is to close a hole in her heart. Because, she cannot have the surgery, she must constantly have blood work done(being charged to her insurance) and she must have a specific amount each day. If not regulated by medicine nor surgery, then she will develop minor strokes as she did already and possibly die from one.

Getting older inherently increase health care costs because at some point, you or me, are going to get to the point where we will not be able to physically take care of ourselves. Which means, someone else is going to have to do it. The only way that doesn't happen is suicide or seclusion from everyone else, so you can die in peace.

1. Druid Dude profile image61
        Druid Dudeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nobody wanted socialized medicine...so they gave us Capitalist Medicine: Result...complaining.

I agree with alot of this....

That is another question no one here as addressed yet!!!  Why is medical so high that insurance has become neccessary?

Reagan and the two Bushes eroded business regulations and allowed the oil and insurance companies to rape and rob this Country and its' people blind.  California will be the first to go.  The rest of the States won't be far behind. That's why Justice Roberts went against the Republican Right Wingnuts and passed the health care act.  You have to get off your porch in November and help President Obama save this Country by voting the Republican bums out of office.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2012 … &tc=ar

2. JSChams profile image61

Regulation and tort law. Plain and simple.

3. kathyjones1952@at profile image60
      kathyjones1952@atposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The reason why I said what I did above is because there was a time when I didn't have any health insurance.  It was because I couldn't afford it.  I remember my family telling me that I would be in big trouble if I had to have serious surgery and couldn't pay for it.  I'm so thankful that I have Medicaid now.

8. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 11 years ago

I think fair is a poor choice of words.  Try "appropriate" "reasonable" "acceptable" or even "is the government justified" in forcing people to buy health insurance?

Life isn't fair, so who cares?  If the government says you are required to buy health insurance, then do it or pay the fine.  It's that simple.

However, I do not believe the government is justified in forcing the entire population to pad the pockets of insurance company executives, nor do I find it acceptable, reasonable, or appropriate for the government to get involved in my health habits.  It's that simple.

9. Xenonlit profile image61
    Xenonlitposted 11 years ago

Let's see. More right wing lies from lying liars. ONE PERCENT of people are expected  to have the money to buy life insurance, but to slack off and let the people pay  for it if they get sick. Yeah, they should pay a penalty, that ONE PERCENT.

Ask Mitt Romney, your own presidential candidate! His program does exactly what you are whining about! ONE PERCENT of people in Massachusetts want to be idiots, so they are supposed to pay a penalty.

I see what is going on: Mitt Romney is white. President Obama is Black. Republicans are racists to the point of destroying America if that is what it takes to get rid of the Black president! Whee!!

1. Reality Bytes profile image73
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is silly.

Near the end of his first term, President Obama currently has one African American in a top level cabinet position: Attorney General Eric Holder.

The five Clinton appointments in 1993 represented a first in U.S. history and the largest number of Blacks in high ranking positions ever up to that time.  Never before had an African American held any of the four positions previously at Commerce, Agriculture, Energy and Veterans Affairs.

When George W. Bush took office in 2001, he appointed three African Americans to his Cabinet.  He nominated the first African American Secretary of State, Colin Powell, and the first African American National Security Adviser, Condi Rice.  Eric Holder was acting Attorney General for only a few months – but Bush never intended to appoint Holder to Attorney General and instead nominated former Senator John Ashcroft.  Bush also appointed Rod Paige as his Education Secretary and Alphonso Jackson as Secretary of Housing and Urban Affairs

http://politic365.com/2012/04/26/obama- … t-the-top/

10. Nouveau Skeptic profile image63
    Nouveau Skepticposted 11 years ago

If people who don't get insurance don't get care, that would be fair but inhumane.  I prefer the option of either mandating insurance or socializing care.

11. Dr Billy Kidd profile image89
    Dr Billy Kiddposted 11 years ago

Nobody is being forced to do anything.

You keep your private insurance policy and your doctor. You get help in buying a policy if you are low income.

If you've got a lot of money and still don't buy healthcare then you get $95 added on your taxes during the first year of the program. They say it will apply to about 1% of the population.

And yes, that's fair if this project will now lower my health care policy by $1400 becasue I'm not paying for your use of the ER room.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)