Is religion necessary for our life?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (52 posts)
  1. mrnasir profile image57
    mrnasirposted 11 years ago

What do you think,yes or no?
    If yes then how much religious should we be? Should we only worship God or change our whole life according to the sayings of God...

1. groopy11 profile image60
      groopy11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey, thought I'd go ahead and just dive in here. I like your question but I think that there is another big factor to consider here. Faith.
      Personally I am non-religious but if I may be so bold I think faith is the one thing that is necessary, not religion. It may seem like I am splitting hairs here but even we humble heathens have faith in something. For me, it is the awesome power of the human mind.
      Since life is so damn short and what happens later is uncertain we all need something to hold on to that makes all of this worth it and if for you it is religion then I say pray away!

mrnasirposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Welcome Groopy11 to hubpages and to my question.Nice thoughts.
        But I think faith is also the first step of religion.For example,if you believe and your faith is on Jesus Christ then your religion will be christianity OR if you believe on the book Holy Quran then your religion will be Islam and this goes on...if money is everything to someone then money is his religion,etc,etc.
        This is my thinking,it may be wrong.ok
        So I say we should search & read everything, then do, whatever you feel is right.

2. a49eracct profile image60
      a49eracctposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hmm...I'm not sure whether I should be petty about words or not. If I am, the answer is no. "Religion" is not necessary for our life. For that matter God is not "necessary" either. We can live with or without Him. However, what I do know is that life is much better WITH him. It doesn't take much. God doesn't want much from us either, just a relationship. Prayer is really just a conversation, like you would have with anyone else. We don't have to change our whole life to do that- but when we do, our life will start to change on it's own.

I respect your thoughts. I think God doesn't need us but we need God.And if there is a life after death then what we'll answer him...what we had done?
        Well this is another topic and I'm not advising you just sharing my thoughts.
        Hopefully it will not hurt you.

1. a49eracct profile image60

You're right, He doesn't need us- He wants us. smile And, I'm not sure about the whole life after death thing- it's something I'm still studying.

I'm also studying and researching that what is there before and after this life.
            If there is no life after death then ok but if there is, then we should think now...What's the purpose of this life?etc.
            Nice talking with you.Thanks for coming.

2. jacharless profile image75
        jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well said. It completely nullifies all Theos {science and sensation}.

James

3. AshtonFirefly profile image71
      AshtonFireflyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not to sound like I'm being picky, but I think that depends on how you define "life."
        To exist, we obviously don't need religion. To exist eternally, who knows?
        To have a happy, fulfilled life, I haven't been able to figure that one out yet. There are some people who seem to not be able to be happy without it, and some who live a long happy life without it--unless they're faking it. But even people who supposedly are "religious" more often than not tend to be the most sad people I know, to be really honest.
        But, on the occasion that it truly is what we need to live, I think that choice depends on the person. Some want God only in their life to worship, some to devote their entire lives. For me, as i understand the Bible, (if you were referencing the christian religion, as I assumed you were) it is impossible to really be a Christian and be satisfied with just worship. Whatever I have read in the Bible seems to require a total dedication of oneself.
        That is just my opinion, on what I know of Christianity and have practiced myself.

4. twosheds1 profile image61
      twosheds1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

People have a need for ritual, and belief in the supernatural appears to have been hardwired into our brains by evolution, but apart from that, supernatural belief, and religion in particular, has harmed humanity immeasurably. Religion leads to tribalist beliefs, and whenver you believe that the other tribe is evil, you have a recipe for disaster.

Thanks for sharing some points with us.You have much knowledge about religions.I'm a researcher.I'll research on these points also.

1. twosheds1 profile image61

Then, may I suggest a book? Why People Believe Weird Things by Michael Shermer. He has also done talks on this topics. Search for him on You Tube.

1. Paul Wingert profile image59
            Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Isn't he the editor of Skeptic Magazine? I recommend him.

Yes, he is!

2. mrnasir profile image57

twosheds1:Thanks a lot  for suggesting an informative book.

5. Precious Pearl profile image76
      Precious Pearlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, religion is not necessary for our life.  Relationship, now I don't know how anyone can have a life without relationship.  Religion put Jesus on the cross, relationship is what made Him willing to sacrifice Himself so that I could know Him.  I have a relationship with a living God not a religion and therein lies the difference.  Religion, no ... I don't need it at all.

I need religion like I need a heart attack.

6. kess profile image60
      kessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

All things in the awareness of a man is necessary for his life and to eliminate any one thing, is to make that one less than he is.

The trick is to put everything in  proper perspective.

Interesting answer! Thanks.

7. Second Lives profile image61
      Second Livesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You shoul've asked the question differently, like - "Is faith necessary for our life?

Yes, for some people, that's the case. They need the faith on a theory that humans evolved from monkeys, to live their lives. They need the faith on an idea that an explosion/expansion 'created' the universe. These are absolutely essential for their existence.

2. Paul Wingert profile image59
    Paul Wingertposted 11 years ago

Religion does much more harm than good. So my answer is NO.

Can you please elaborate your answer so we completely understand your point.

Gee I don't know, countless wars, 9 crusades, witch hunts, bigotry, slavery, discrimination, supression, stiffling progress, etc, etc.

You gave many points.Thanks a lot.

3. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

The simple answer is no. I don't see my life being any different if I had a religion. I also don't see my life as anything less without it.

Simple answer...OK

4. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 11 years ago

I think that discerning the greater truth of life and the universe was a necessary step, but that organized religion is something which will become a thing of the past. This is so that we can move beyond all crutches which have aided us up until now. I believe that is what is meant by 'making the lame to walk.' Understanding our place and our destiny as a species is what is meant by 'making the blind to see', and aspiring to a higher purpose, respecting others as I would they respect me, knowing that as the dominant species on this planet, it behooves us to walk softly and leave not a trace of our passing, is what is meant by 'making the deaf to hear'.

Very interesting points but I want to share something which I'm studying & researching nowadays.Scientists had previously said that the sun was stationary but now they discovered that sun,moon,earth,every planets are moving.
      Some days back I heard that a religious book Holy Quran almost 1400 years back stated:
      "and it is He who has created the night and the day,and the sun and the moon-each one is travelling in its own orbit.."(21:33)
      I was completely shocked.I looked it myself.I'm still thinking & researching.If religion and religious books are the things of past not up to date then how did that Book stated the truth almost 1400 years back when,I'm sure,there was no telescope,etc.
      This is my research if I'm wrong then please guide me.

1. a49eracct profile image60

You are correct, the Bible has many small excerpts like this one as well. It sure makes you wonder "how did they know?!".

The authors didn't know. The Bible, Quran, and Tora aren't science or history books. These books were not mean to be taken literally. When the Quran was written in the mid 600's, the belief that the earth was a sphere with an orbiting moon was becoming standard belief. But the belief that the earth was the center of the "universe" was still intact until Galileo came along in the late 16th century. The sun doesn't ordit anything, although our sun, along with the rest of the solar system and galaxy are hurling through space at an aproximate rate of 31 to 62 miles per second.

You've knowledge but I don't agree with your interpretation.
            I suggest you to look & read the points which I highlighted earlier OR have you read Bible,Quran and Tora? If NO, then how can you be sure...

2. twosheds1 profile image61

I've heard this question before, used as "proof" that the Quran is right. That verse may be a victim of selective translation, or, assuming the translation is accurate, saying the sun and moon are in their orbits could, and probably does, refer to their movements in the sky, where they appear to orbit the Earth. But the real test to see how true the Quran is would be to look at early Muslim theology and see at which point heliocentrism was accepted. Apparently in some quarters, the shape of the Earth is still being debated: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2z91lAPAdc
        This would call into question any other astronomical claims Muslims would make.

I looked that verse myself of different translations,almost all are same.
          Have you also read or researched?or you're just throwing an arrow in the air.
          I'm not here to prove anything,just sharing what I studied & researched.
          Have you seen & researched by yourself,whatever you're saying here?or just listening to anyone and sharing without verifying.Tell us.

Why yes, I have researched it, as a matter of fact. I would also like to point out that it says "the sun and the moon each one is travelling in its own orbit," and NOT "the earth orbits the sun, the moon and the earth each orbit a barycenter." To me, the sura seems to be saying that the moon and sun orbit the earth, which, given the frame of reference at the time of writing, is a perfectly understandable mistake.

BTW, I should correct my statement above to read "claims early Muslims would make." My apologies.

Are you confused or trying to confuse others?
              It clearly says:"the sun and the moon are traveling in its orbit",not the earth.
              To you, orbit means earth...whatever
              If you want to believe,which is not mentioned in that book then it's your decision.I only believe in truth & proof,not on anyone's thoughts.
              And we were just talking that previously Scientists believed that the sun was stationary,but NOW THEY DISCOVERED ITS MOTION.
              The HOLY QURAN said about the movement of the sun almost 1400 YEARS AGO. HOW??? We were talking about that only.
              By the way thanks for talking with us.
              But I'll appreciate more if you talk with proof not just with thoughts.

I'm not confused, and I apologize if I am confusing you. The way I interpret that passage is that the author observed the sun and moon to be orbiting the earth, which they do not. Do I need to provide proof the earth orbits the sun and the moon and earth orbit a barycenter?

I mean if you were saying that this is from Quran and this is wrong then provide that refernce.So that we can also see that mistake in the Quran.
                  As you said above:
                  "To me, the sura seems to be saying that the moon and sun orbit the earth"(can you give reference of this statement only)
                  Is this written in that book or you were saying by yourself.

I agree that the sura you quoted was from the Quran, but I disagree with your interpretation of it.

I'm done.

3. A Troubled Man profile image58
        A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm curious to know what exactly the sun is orbiting? Early Greeks already knew the moon was a sphere that orbited the earth, but they also thought the sun did, too.

It seems to say that the sun and moon orbit the earth, which is exactly what was believed back then.

Yes, now scientists discovered that every planet is moving but what exactly the sun is orbiting...I'm researching on that, whether scientists discovered that or not, with proof.
          If you'll come to know before me, then you'll have to share with us.
          Thanks for coming.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
            A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Are you going to reference the Quran for that answer? You should if you wish to have your claim validated.

I don't know arabic language & didn't read the translation of full Quran but yes,I researched some points.
              When I listen to some unbelievable points from any book, then I often read that book myself to verify because nowadays I saw, many people are spreading misinformation,(may be with intention or) without knowing/verifying whether the information is correct or not.

2. twosheds1 profile image61

Technically, the sun orbits the center of gravity with each planet. However, since the planets aren't all in the same direction at the same time, this works out to be perturbations in the sun's motion. On a larger scale, the sun (along with the rest of the solar system) orbits the center of the galaxy, taking about 200 million years to make the journey.

5. SpanStar profile image59
    SpanStarposted 11 years ago

If one looks at religion as nothing more than a human concept that religion is not essential to life. Should however religion be the quintessential element of life than nothing more important than religious faith is required.

6. profile image0
    Elizabeth Dorssomposted 11 years ago

Religion is completely unnecessary in our lives. We shouldn't raise children in any religion, but simply introduce them to the different beliefs. When children turn 18 they should be able to make their own decisions as to whether they want to be baptized. The problem with raising a child in any religion is that it completely consumes their life and everything from then on is viewed through the lens of their religion.

You don't need religion to be good. There are plenty of atheists that are really good people, doante to charity, etc. Instead, we should just teach kindness and charity to our children without teaching them about some false eternal damnation.

Thanks for your response.

2. rrhistorian profile image56
      rrhistorianposted 11 years agoin reply to this

wow - that sounds like religion without a name

7. rrhistorian profile image56
    rrhistorianposted 11 years ago

religion is necessary for my families life
    others may not need it though, because it does take some work to perfect it.

Thanks for giving your point of view.

8. profile image0
    Rad Manposted 11 years ago

Well, I can't speak for everyone, but it no necessary in my life. It seems rather silly to me having all these people thinking there religion is the correct one. Some are so convince they are willing to kill for it. I think for the most part people don't pay attention to religion, they just use it to justify there lives. I personally don't understand who a Christian soldier who is taught not to kill, goes over seas and kills without a thought of internal turmoil.

9. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 11 years ago

No, seeing as we are the only animal species that has religions so clearly there is no need for these belief systems. I have no need of religion in my life.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)