Is homemade food better?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (20 posts)
  1. silverstararrow profile image74
    silverstararrowposted 11 years ago

I'm not a brilliant cook, rather I'm just learning the ropes. Hopefully, I'll cook something palatable in the near future. big_smile

Anyway, I often enjoy a different cuisine in a reputable restaurant. If asked to choose between homecooked meals and takeaway, I'd surely choose homemade food, as would many others.

So, are you a fan of homemade food or is the menu at the nearest eatery your first choice?

1. rahul0324 profile image77
      rahul0324posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am a die hard fan of home made food! Not that I do not enjoy worldly cuisines but food cooked by mom.... my self my friends.... all of the three happen to  be good ones... wink  is loved by me

I especially love .. steamed riced,,, spiced fried potatoes with Yellow lentils, mango pickle, curd and Ghee( Home Made Indian Oil) To go with

big_smile

silverstararrowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mango pickle and curd is a superb combination!

2. Alastar Packer profile image72
      Alastar Packerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you want to know just how much better home made food is this Carolina Chocolate Drop song clip just about says it all. http://youtu.be/DeC4G85_2Zc

2. CloudExplorer profile image75
    CloudExplorerposted 11 years ago

Well from what I researched both yes and no. I think foods cooked either at home or elsewhere if they aren't organic and have been processed or genetically modified which most grocery stores carry are equally damaging to the health.

So you must read the food labels closely, mainly look out for the fructose corn syrup monster, which is a genetically modified version of sugar made from chemically altered and tainted corn, grown to fight pesticides and herbicides.

Once you cook food it kills the nutrients in foods, so the less you have of it the better, try looking for more raw foods, like veggies, fruits, and also try juicing them together, to improve on internal health and help reduce the damaging effects of consuming anything cooked whether it be organic foods or inorganic.

3. ptosis profile image67
    ptosisposted 11 years ago

Depends on who is doing the cooking... I have to take down the fire alarm every time I cook - I burn water, Everything I make is Carbona Cajun.

Good home cooking is better. When used to travel a lot and eat out everyday - get sick of restaurant food. Having a home cooked meal is the best things in life - especially when someone else makes it and the deal is that you do the clean-up...

smilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmile ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:)smilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmile

One of my best friends can take a bunch of cans of 'nothing' and make something out of it but he tends to put too much mustard into everything. He called it Chuck-Wagon Special.

4. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 11 years ago

The best feeling ever is to be in the kitchen, chopping, slicing, seasoning, and then you sit at the table and enjoy your creation. Ah! I think every creative person should learn how to cook. It's worth the effort. After all, how many times do you get to taste your creativity?

1. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree Klarawieck,  Ilove cooking and always love eating my own creations than some junk on the street. I am really having a hard time trying to fathom ever eating burgers again unless I make them myself...no way to eating that crap! I like Kentucky fried chicken but I can do that at home. More over, eating fresh food is better thank junk processed pre-frozen crap.

On the other hand some restaurants are really great if they have freshly cooked food but still  like home cooked better.

5. Debra Dillon profile image61
    Debra Dillonposted 11 years ago

Food is always better homemade in my opinion. I love cooking homemade goodies, because I know that I put lots of love into it. It is an amazing feeling when your making it, its a peaceful moment. And my favorite part of cooking homemade meals is the aromas! The sweet smell of cupcakes or bread, the wonderful scent of pork chops cooking with apple slices.

silverstararrowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Okay Debra, stop...I just woke up and your last sentence is making me hungry. smilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmile

6. pstraubie48 profile image81
    pstraubie48posted 11 years ago

I think so if it is prepared well. The best thing about home cooked food is that since I am preparing it I know exactly what ingredients I am putting in it. I can control the sodium, fat, and sugar content not to mention all others that go into it.

7. Thelma Alberts profile image89
    Thelma Albertsposted 11 years ago

I think so. Home made food is better for me than buying from a restaurant, as I know what´s on it. Well, the what we can not see preservatives and I can control the fat and the sweetness of the food I´m eating. But sometimes, I have the craving of a food that I can not cook for myself. So I have to buy it.

8. denisemai profile image66
    denisemaiposted 11 years ago

Restaurant food is delicious but they finish everything with butter which makes it yummy but unhealthy. I like homemade food best because I know what is in it, it's customized to my personal preferences, it's waaay cheaper and I have the satisfaction of knowing I made it. Anyone can learn to cook, it just takes patience and the ability to read and follow directions. smile

9. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 11 years ago

When you ask, "Is home cooked better?" are you talking about taste or nutrition, pleasure or health? as far as eating that food.

I was brought up in England in the 1940s and the food was awful!   I didn't realize that, of course, until I left and came to Australia in 1951.    The food in Australia was much better.   It got even better when this country moved towards multi-culturism and we then started to get restaurant spring up all over our cities.   The Chinese and the Greek restaurants had been with us for since the 1850s Gold rush.  But now there were Lebanese, Egytian, Indian, French, Italian, Thai-  the list goes on.  Wonderful cusisine' scruptuous food.

However, I think I owe my good health and relative long years of health to the foundation laid with all that plain, unappetising, but highly nutritious food I ate whilst growing up.  No garnishes and sauces.  Virtually no sweets.  I ate my very first ice cream at nine.   The point I'm making here is that the vegies and fruit were fresh, with no chemical sprays.  The eggs fresh.  Milk was unpasteurised.  Bread was wholemeal.   Though not particularly pleasing to a palate which now knows better, these were ALL GOOD and made for a heathly populace.   Obesity was practically unknown and most people were generally fit.

So home cooked food is great, if you have a talented mum, dad, partner or sibling who loves to cook and can do it well.    They are likely to have your health in mind moreso than the average restaurnteur.    Still, no matter how good they are you'll probably want a change every now and again so...thank goodness for all those restaurants out there.

10. Helena Ricketts profile image90
    Helena Rickettsposted 11 years ago

I think that home made is better.  At least for me anyway.  If I don't know the origin of where it was grown, how it was grown and what it was fed, I just don't eat it anymore.

A few years ago I started getting sick almost every time I ate at a restaurant or any ready made meals out of a box.  I've found that staying away from processed foods is not only better for me but I actually don't eat as much, keep my weight consistent and correct for my size and feel like a million bucks.

Where some people crave potato chips and chocolate, I crave peaches and watermelon!  smile

11. akirchner profile image93
    akirchnerposted 11 years ago

Is this a trick question?  No matter WHAT you make, if you make it from scratch, meaning really making it and not just opening a box and adding water to it....you are doing yourself a favor.  You are saving your body from chemicals that you should not be having and preservatives.  There are tons of studies going on regarding the amount of chemicals and/or preservatives that we eat by the pound per day and how it is being linked to cancers and diseases of all kinds.  Any time you take the time to put something together with HEALTHY ingredients, I think you've got something better going for yourself.  That is just my personal take on it though and I know that many people don't think it's valid.  We'll just have to see what comes of all the experiments down the road and what the data analysis says but I have a feeling, along with all the other things like global warning....we're gonna be sorry~

12. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 11 years ago

homemade and I also create my own combination of spices for some foods. smile

13. timorous profile image80
    timorousposted 11 years ago

Home made – virtually exclusively. Yes, it takes more time to make your own meals, but, oh – the flavour...tongue Almost all packaged foods I've sampled, have a similar, synthetic flavour that I find unpalatable. If you can cook half-decently, you're way ahead in the nutrition department as well. There's still a few lingering questions about chemical sprays used on fruits and vegetables, and genetically modified crops. If you can afford certified organic produce, assuming it's readily available to you, this can at least give some peace of mind, although it may or may not be any better than the regular produce.

14. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years ago

yes...it is better...sometimes it is hard to cook for one though...

15. profile image0
    Teresa Higginsposted 11 years ago

Home cooked food is best and healthiest for sure.  I enjoy cooking and we try a lot of new vegetables around our house.  However, I do love to eat out but the budget simply does not allow for it right now so home-cooking is also a necessity.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)