christians to observe Ramadan

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (75 posts)
  1. recommend1 profile image59
    recommend1posted 11 years ago

The fasting and dedication to Islam at Ramadan is admirable and also makes that faith very real I would guess.
    If this was a required activity for todays christians I would suspect that it would reduce their numbers to less than 10%

1. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have heard say that in Britain now, you are not allowed to promote christian festivals if they are likely to offend Muslims   !!!!

Not being a follower of either maybe I should not be concerned, yet it looks like a silly, unintelligent and knee-jerk reaction that will not serve any long-term purpose.  You don't solve a problem by burying your head in the sand and pretending the problem does not exist.

recommend1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am a brit and aware of those issues, I also have no religion of any kind - this is about those vocal qualsi-christians who want to tell everyone how to live their lives by their rules - if they had to fast for a month from daen to dusk I guss most of them would find a more comfortable faith to preach.

1. Disappearinghead profile image61
          Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well you wouldn't find any Christians in Northern Scandinavia anymore if Ramadan became compulsory.

that would be a good start big_smile

2. Paraglider profile image88
            Paragliderposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There are provisions made for that. When the days are impossibly long, it is acceptable to fast for the Mecca hours.

Worth mentioning too that it is not simply dawn till dusk. You eat before the ablution before the pre-dawn prayer and not again till after the sun-down prayer. These easily put another hour onto the regime.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image61
        Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's only according to the Daily Mail, Johhny. Right wing publications in the UK are pretty (to say the least) Islamaphobic and will say anything to fear monger. By and by, Muslims and the rest of the UK get along pretty well and as for the Christian Festival aspect, we're a pretty secular nation.

2. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure what the numbers are, tbh, but Christians do indeed participate in a 40 day period of fast/abstinence.  It's called Lent...and it is the season that leads to the Easter season that follows.  I know that there are many Christians who ignore this season because it doesn't line up with their non-denomination beliefs, but it does indeed exist and is alive and well in many of Christianity's denominations. 

I find it interesting that it has become very unpopular among western "Christians" but it's an admirable thing for Muslims.

Hmmm.

But wasn't lent just about abstinence of meat or other foodstuffs that are enjoyed by the sinful flesh? It wasn't a complete fast sunrise to sunset.

1. profile image0

Originally, it was a fast until sunset.

As time went on, it became about abstinence (refraining from meat), no consumption of food/drink between meals, your own personal abstinence for the entire period of Lent (giving something up that is a true sacrifice for you) and mortification (which basically means willingly taking on a task that is difficult/sacrificial for you).  According to Canon Law, the only exceptions in terms of fast/abstinence are given to small children, the elderly, or anyone suffering an illness that is in part managed by nutrition.

But it happens every year, and is meant to emulate as best we can the 40 days that Jesus spent in the desert being tempted by the devil.  All told, it is to draw us closer to God in preparation for the celebration of the Resurrection.

smile

2. recommend1 profile image59

Lent always was a joke - the fasting limited to 'giving up' eating just meat, or no desert, or no chocolate.  This is actual fasting we are talking about.

1. profile image0

There are guidelines for Lent (as I mentioned above).  Many choose a much more extreme fast during the season, especially within religious communities (religious orders).  It's certainly not a joke to devout Catholics, but thanks for the blow off.

Let me know when you choose to jump on the Ramadan bandwagon.

smile

You are welcome to the blow off big_smile   Having been brought up as a 'devout' catholic in a convent school for girls I am more than well aware of how lent works and how it is reduced to a comfortable giving up of some favourite snack or whatever.

I have no intention of anything that gets between me and sex, food or beer.   I am quite attracted to stoning my ex-wife, but apart from that little peccadillo I dont think the robes and headgear suit me, and the way good christian countries keep bombing them puts me off christianity altogether.

1. profile image0

Wow.  I don't remember you ever being quite so snotty with me.  sad

Sorry about your experiences with Catholicism/Christianity.  I know that many have been mistreated and scarred because of it.  It appears that you've simply moved on.

Have a good night.

sorry - I didn't think I was being snotty,  just treating it with humour and a drop or two of sarcasm.  Don't lose any sleep over it, it is just the difference between british and american humour I suspect

1. profile image0

No worries.  I had an unusual moment of ultra-sensitiveness.  smile  And, I generally love (and actually understand) British humor.  Musta been the subject that made me touchy.

Have a hug...lol  If I could send a beer I'd do so, but I only have one left and I think it might cost a lot to ship across the pond...lol

2. profile image0
              jonnycomelatelyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Recommend1, so sorry, I was under the impression you were a guy!!!  Then reading that you were brought up in a convent school for girls, it thought;  What the heck? *#*#*# !!!  lol

I am a guy - maybe the luckiest guy in the forums big_smile

3. Dave Mathews profile image59
      Dave Mathewsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So what is your point? You suspect. You Assume. You have no Idea. First off not all Muslims fast during Ramadan. Second Christians, do fasting throughout the year especially around the time of Lent, the 40 days prior to the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Jesus.

yeah - christians give up biscuits for lent - we all know that.   

these Muslim people give up pretty much everything all daylight hours for a month,  if those loud self-professed bigots who call themselves christian had to do somthing like this to show their 'love' or 'devotion' rather than just talk about it, most of them would quit - the remaining 10% or so would then get my respect if nothing else

2. Judah's Daughter profile image78
    Judah's Daughterposted 11 years ago

I've read a few responses here about 'Lent' - this is no more 'Christian' than Easter is.  If any 'Christian' joins the Ramadan fast, they are serving Allah, not YHWH.  The 40-day fast before 'Easter' is that of 'mourning for Tammuz', the son of Ishtar (pronounced Easter), thus celebrating his resurrection on Easter.  Read Ezekiel 8:14-15 "Then He brought me to the entrance of the gate of the LORD'S house which was toward the north; and behold, women were sitting there weeping for Tammuz.  He said to me, "Do you see this, son of man? Yet you will see still greater abominations than these."  Research the pagan practice of the 40-day fast for Tammuz and test yourselves, 'Christians' who practice such a ritual.  May God's Truth reign above all.

And speaking of the word 'Easter' being found in Acts 12:4, this is a pagan-magnet translation.  Read the Greek, which every bible version except the King James and American King James translates correctly, as Passover.  Herod waited until after the Jews celebrated their Passover week to kill Peter, out of respect for the Jews who were happy he killed James (read it in context, beginning with vs. 1).

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 11 years ago

Well, I couldn't last more than a few hours without food, so I couldn't even consider it, but I see no practical purpose to forced fasting. I can see if someone chooses to fast, for personal religious reasons, but as a religious requirement?...good for the Christians for saying no to letting others force a group activity such as this on them.

4. MrMaranatha profile image73
    MrMaranathaposted 11 years ago

How about if Christians give up or fast from: Pedophilia, Multiple Wives (Polygamy), Abuse of women as possessions,  Circumcision of women, Flogging women who were Rape Victims, Beheading People who have converted to Christianity (or the reverse as applicable), Burning other Human Beings alive for their faith...
    ...  also give up Filming these executions and You Tube'ing them to "Show the Faith" (Read that Show off to their Peers"... 

Christians are told  in the Bible by Jesus that our fasts are NOT to be done Openly for men to see but rather are to be done Privately and in Secretly for God's eyes only.  So the fact is that You will never know how many Christians Fast.. and you will never know When True Christians fast..
    You only know what you want to believe and it matters not what the truth is.. you will continue to believe what you like anyway.  Have a nice evening.

1. Judah's Daughter profile image78
      Judah's Daughterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

AMEN, MrMaranatha!!

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59
      MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yep... Christians really should give up or fast from Pedophilia (priests) Multiple Wives (Mormons) Abuse of women as possessions (Waco and Warren Jeffs come to mind as well as some nice little verses like Corinthians 11:8-9 and Timothy 2:11-14).  You do have the circumcision of women (we just circumcise our infant boys for no particular reason) and the literal flogging of rape victims (see slut walk for the emotional flogging they take). 

Could Christians also give up bombing abortion clinics,  picketing funerals and burning crosses in the yards of minorities as well?  It also might be a pretty good damn idea if we realize that before we judge another religion by it's extremists we might want to get a handle on our OWN...

You have a nice evening too.

I think most of the atrocitites MrMaranatha cited are straight from Sharia - sure, let's fast for Ramadan! NOT.  So, we have the Catholic inquisition/crusades that no longer burn and torture 'infidels'  - non-Catholics (not to say this won't happen again)...Hey, Hitler was a good Catholic, afterall.  Then we have the radical Sharia Law and Islamic 'holy' books that ordain older men marrying very young girls (pre-puberty - legalized pedophelia), most Muslim women cannot refuse a marriage, forced female 'circumcision', beatings, stonings, making them wear burkas, and they behead anyone that leaves Islam (and kill all they consider to be 'infidels' - non-Muslims).  And hey, Catholic nuns cover up just the same....All in the name of the god(s) of their religions.  I guess this 'Chrislamic' fast is just a sign they have so much in common.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59

Wow... I never said a word about the crusades...

And it's not Catholics bombing abortion clinics.  It's conservative christian zealots.  The KKK are mostly southern baptist boys and the funeral picketers are the WBC.  Catholics have the priests and mormons (sects) have the polygamy.  The Wacos and Warren Jeffs come from all walks of the fundamentalist Christian denominations.

And I could pull things out of the Bible that would look just as horrible as Sharia law.  There are Christian idiots who abound that take those verses just as seriously as the fundamentalist Muslims.

My point is either you bash ALL religions for the nutjobs or you bash none.  Excluding your own religion's fruitcakes from the mix is a bit hypocritical...

People can call themselves 'Christians', but it doesn't mean they are - many call themselves Jesus, too.  Nut jobs are nut jobs.  The inquisition and the whole jihad mentality are horrible atrocities.  Cults are cults; they all have something in common.  I think it has something to do with their 'father', who 'was a murderer from the beginning'.  I think this is why Jesus said, "You will know them by their fruits" (Mat 7), not by what their lips proclaim (i.e. "I am a Christian", "I am Jesus" or "I am a peaceful Muslim").

ROFLMAO...

So... do you think that the general Muslim population doesn't look at extremists exactly how we look at those Christians who don't happen to fit into our nice little image of what they should be?

Another quick question... Do you think that the extremists Christians consider the moderates as "real Christians?"

Find me any given Christian and I'll find you a million others that say he isn't a "real" Christian.  I am assuming I could find a million that say YOU aren't as well.

Absolutely agreed.  I was thinking since I posted my last comment that if the Torah and Sharia have so much in common, why are they not embracing one another?  It's SOOOO ridiculous!!

The Torah and Sharia don't really have that much in common as one is a form of law and the other is a religious text.  The Qur'an and the Torah have a lot in common... Not nearly as much as the bible and the Torah have in common though.  And the Qur'an and the bible also have a lot in common.

Believe it or not most religious texts share 90 percent common material.  It's the 10 percent that is left over that causes all the problems.  Not really that surprising though when you think that the differences between "born again" Christians and other denominations are largely based on three or four verses.

The common ground I see in the Bible and Qur'an has to do with eschatology - they are the perfect antithesis of one another.  The Bible speaks of the Antichrist and false prophet, while Islam speaks of the Mehdi and Isa (prophet) - both reigning for the same period of time.  The Bible's Antichrist is the Islamic Christ and the Islamic Antichrist is the Bible's Christ.  The main difference then is...which one is the true Christ?  THAT is the question for all denominations/religions.  Who is God is the question.  Allah has no son, while the Christian God has a Son.  Jesus was not crucified, according to Islam; Jesus was crucified, according to the Bible.  Sorry, but I don't see 'common' ground here - but again, a perfect antithesis.

2. MrMaranatha profile image73
            MrMaranathaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Its Like comparing an Apple box with a box full of scorpions...

The Apple Box may have a few bad apples in it... But the Box of Scorpions only have a few that wont sting you... Or if they do their sting is not so bad.

What the Muslims do, They do According to their Scriptures...
            But when a so called Christian Sect like the RC Catholics murdered their own.. they are/were doing it AGAINST the teachings of their own Scriptures. (see book "the trail of blood" by JM Carrol, its a free read online)

Understand?   Big Difference:  One is considered Normal for that religion... the other is considered a Cult.

Jesus said "by this shall all men know you are my disciples... if you have Love one for another"

You clearly do not know much about scripture - both sets of books say the same things in different ways including all the things you attribute to apples and scorpions.

Love one for another is the biggest joke of all in this context big_smile

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59

Oh yes... I understand completely.  You have taken the most publicized and sensational media propaganda and internalized it completely.  It's easy to do since organized Christianity is largely based on the "only way to God is through Jesus" mindset. That in combination with political rhetoric has insured that the masses have no need to actually understand another religion but can happily go on hating another group and feel perfectly justified.  That way we can completely dehumanize an entire ethnic group so we don't feel so guilty about invading their country and bombing the hell out of their citizens.  Oh but how does it piss us off when they hate us for it and strike back. 

But you lack the ability to even begin to imagine their side of the whole situation... as I'm sure many of the Jihadists lack the ability to see the other side.

And while we are talking about Jihad...  what is truly hilarious is how similar it truly is to the Christian concept of "conversion" and "witnessing".  It is also strikingly similar to what America has been doing to other countries for years.  We have been trying to make other countries like us by force of arms.  We don't like what another country is doing because it is different than us so we try to force them to adopt our morals. 

In truth the major difference between what the Qu'ran and the Bible actually say about how to achieve salvation is that Christians have to be "faith" to go to heaven.  They don't actually have to do anything else.  The Qu'ran says that you actually have to get off your ass and do good deeds and give to charity...

The Muslim faith also believes you have to go straight to God for salvation while Christianity says you have to go through a middleman.

2. Disappearinghead profile image61

+1

3. MrMaranatha profile image73

None of those things you quoted are Christian, Mormons are not... by 170 years of their own claims they are not connected to the rest of Christianity.
        Catholics only Pirated the name.

True Christianity is Following Christ. It is not a building... and certainly not the following of Human leaders like Wacko David Karesh (Cult) or any of the others you referred to.

Christians have never Bombed an abortion Clinic.   But a few Nut Cases have.

On the Contrary.. Followers of Muhammed even have thier Own founder to look to for an example of Pedophilia..  Their own Mulahs teach the Gross human rights abuses I quoted you...

And the Circumcision of women is the cutting off of the Clitoris.. at Puberty or later... certainly not the same as a male child being circumcised at infancy wich is done at the choice of the parents and does not harm the Child for life...

Get a Clue Lady

This is actually quite funny. Christians who bomb clinics, picket funerals, or have non orthodox ideas are not Christians. Muslims who plant bombs, and have bizarre ideas about beards are Muslims.

From the Muslim view, Christians who bomb clinics,....etc are Christians. Muslims who plant bombs and who have bizarre ideas about beards are not true Muslims.

Both sides look at the embarrassing sects of their own and claim they are not true believers but say the embarrassing sects of the other are.

Tell me Mr. Maranatha, have you ever met a Muslim? Ever had a coffee with one? Talked about life and beliefs with one?

1. MrMaranatha profile image73

Yes I have... Actually I lived with one inside the confines of a Semi Truck for several weeks during his training period... We had some great conversations... and Both of us Lived through it ok...

5. LeanMan profile image78
    LeanManposted 11 years ago

The Islamic fast is meant to allow them to feel closer to being poor etc.. However most do not treat it as it should be treated. They have a huge banquet when the fast is finished each day, often eating several times more than they would otherwise eat, this is hardly my definition of a fast. Most of the people I know put on weight during Ramadan!

Also most of the Saudis I know will still have a crafty fag (that's a cigarette in case you don't understand UK slang!) and even a drink during the day during Ramadan. They are just people!

But then shall we look at Christmas and how that is treated compared to what it should be?

However on the good side you will see many families out feeding the poor and even giving gifts and money to people less well off than themselves. While we tend to vilify every Muslim we should realise that they are just people, some are very pious and kind and others are quite frankly A-Holes much like many Christians and atheists that I know.

1. Paraglider profile image88

That's all true, in Qatar and UAE too. Everywhere in fact. Except I'm not sure about 'most' in your first paragraph. To me it seems about 50:50 between absolute observance and relative observance. Nevertheless, the whole feel of the country is noticeably different in Ramadan from the rest of the year.

Hi Para

My experience of Muslim countries is that they are on balance nice enough people with deep faith and live their lives in a generally 'good' way - they of course have their other sides but they are generally safe to be around as a guest.

1. Paraglider profile image88

I agree with that. I also have never, in ten years, had any Muslim attempt to convert me to Islam. Proselytising is against the law (as well as being considered rude). Would that the same were true elsewhere.

2. Disappearinghead profile image61

My experience of Libyan Muslims was that they were pretty nominal just like Church of England Christians. They didn't take part in the daily prayer during working hours and never talked about attending mosque. Perhaps that was something to do with working on a military base though, they having other duties. They did apply themselves to Ramadan though but were understanding of us Westerners. I did get away with eating a sticky currant bun whilst walking between an office and a hanger.

There were other cultural differences to other stereotyped Islamic nations. Women could drive on their own without chaperones; in central Tripoli some women had western dress; and Libyan men we're almost exclusively clean shaven. Apparently in Libyan culture men with beards are liars and not to be trusted, except for imams who are men of God.

They sound like nice civilised people - I wonder why the UK and France took it on themselves to bomb the crap out of it and turn it into a set of warring tribes again.

The same reason America bombed the crap out of Iraq and why nobody will bomb the crap out of Syria - Oil.

And yes I found Libyans to be very hospitable abd friendly. It was as if they were pleased that Westerners overcame prejudices to visit their country.

6. WD Curry 111 profile image58
    WD Curry 111posted 11 years ago

If you have no religion, why worry about it? Your view of Christianity is not reality based. You are fabricating an adversary. It is like Don Quixote jousting with wind mills.

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRb1YgQpHdoNoZxEFt1JApp89LGGmXNO8y9ddhpFQuxRV85_CHjIg

Of course we all know you are just setting a trap for the uninitiated, unsuspecting and immature. Don't you guys ever get tired of the same ol' same ol' around here?

I understand British humor. It's anal.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)