Shoplifting Mother Leaves Her One Year Old Behind.

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Shawn May Scott profile image60
    Shawn May Scottposted 11 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6937368.jpg
    Those of you who know me in the forums will love or hatr me for this one. I am once again astounded with the behaviour of a parent. The following link is to a news reel that shows a mother and her sister leaving her one year old child behind after they are caught shoplifing at Walmart. I am once again under the impression that thewre are people in this world... I can not even say it because I cannot find the words. I hope that the child never realises what his mother did to him by running away and leaving him behind to protect herself from a situation she had created in the first place.  How astounded are you by these actions? We know this happens often, have you ever known anyone who has done this or seen a situation like this?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8ae_1343153176

1. CBM1987 profile image61
      CBM1987posted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is horrible of me to say , but this is not surprising.
      Sadly this is minor compared to half the things i've read and heard happening cross country. It will always be a tragic tale...

I'm glad she abandoned that child, I hope she never gets it back,
      this is the only time i think that the government foster care system
      works.

Shawn May Scottposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not being from the US we do not have as much of this type of poor behaviour exposed in the media. So when I hear of this stuff it drives me crazy that procreation is a right and not a privillage. Not that we could pick and choose who is allowed to have children and who is not. But certainly one would hope in this case that the world is sided with the child and that the system works for him.

2. peeples profile image93
        peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

CBM, I'm not sure what's better, having a mother run off and leave you or have a foster care system that cares nothing about you. I hope that they are able to get to the root of the problem and place this child with a responsible family member. I would hate to have another child loaded to an already over crowded, under funded foster care system.

1. CBM1987 profile image61
          CBM1987posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh no I doubt either one is much better. However when you see people acting a certain way, maybe its just me, but sometimes the apple really doesn't fall far from the tree.
          That being said growing up sadly I would have had a better life in a crappy foster home than the way I did.

2. courtyB3 profile image61
      courtyB3posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sadly we could print one these stories a day and never run out. our society is truly in its downfall

1. recommend1 profile image60
        recommend1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

and this is about society and its alienation of whole areas of what are becoming an underclass with their own rules and morals.  In the UK these are called Chavs (or were until recently) where a girlfriend is a slag, having a baby as soon as possible, without any lasting relationship with the father, is the best way to ensure somewhere to live and at least a minimum income - and shoplifting is how you get luxury items that are otherwise denied to you.  The 'guys' celebrate cheap cars and race them around until they break or they crash, work intermittently and live generally off benefits, mainly playing computer games when not 'hanging' in city centres abusing old people, coloured  people, etc etc.

Society has created them, and society should be looking at what it has done wrong - not 'punishing' the kid by the back door baby snatching of local authorities to provide adoptable kids for the middle class.

2. Lady_E profile image60
    Lady_Eposted 11 years ago

It's a pity.

I don't know what to think anymore..... these days when people do such things, I tend to put it down to the difficult financial economic situation. Many are out of jobs and welfare isn't enough. I don't condone what she did though.

As for the kid, one part of me thinks the Kid should be put in Foster Care - if not being cared for properly, but then again - that's the only mother the kid has known.... so emotionally it will be hard on the poor kid.

~ Mixed feelings ~

3. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

I must be jaded from years of being around women who did all kinds of things to their kids while drinking/using.
    But I agree parenting requires maturity and skill. Just because you "can" have a baby doesn't mean you "should" have one. Or five. Or eight. All from different dads. All in the system because you are on crack.
    So sad.
    But they don't make you take a proficiency test to get pregnant.
    sad

4. Thelma Alberts profile image91
    Thelma Albertsposted 11 years ago

That was very horrible thing to do. Leaving her child that way is very  awful.  I can't say anymore. I'm utterly speechless.

5. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 11 years ago

Sorry to disagree in the face of all the condemnation - in respect to the two girls, the shoplifting will be just a job and their behaviour grown out of their environment and postion in life.   I cannot see the baby coming to any harm in this situation, on a scale of one to ten probably less harm than from the dimwits who push the pram out into the road before they can see what is coming - you know, good middle class mothers with a good education and a mobile phone to their ear -

There is no evidence to suggest that this girl is not as good a parent as the any of the lower class baby-producing-for-benefit generation, if she is not on drugs that would put her into the top half of that group at least.  Inflicting the horrors of the government abuse system (sorry, care system) on a young child in order to satisfy some transient middle class 'horror' would be more despicable than the girls actions in the first place.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. peeples profile image93

I don't think the issue is as much that she shoplifted(because low income) but that she ran off without her own child to avoid getting in trouble.

Which I covered - was that child ever in any danger ?   Do you think it is remotely normal that a girl would do such a thing ?   My point is that rather than blanket condemnation a little understanding would be more useful, and comments about punishing her by taking her child from her are horrendous in the extreme.

1. peeples profile image93

I see your point on taking the child. As someone who has been in the foster care system I feel that what the mother did does not call for her child ending up there. However there is little to understand about a mother shoplifting with her child then running off without the child. There should be a punishment and she should take some parenting classes.

absolutely :-)

Okay, do we realize that the two people involved in this incident were found by police the next day at a club partying???  We cannot assume that either person is or is not involved with the drug culture.  Was the child in danger, yes, this mother showed no remorese for her actions leaving her child unattended in a shopping cart and ran off and then drove off. It appears in the video that the cart was pulled off or near the end of the side walk by the aunt  in front of the store during her attempt to escape. Is that not dangerous a little close to the road? I think it is and putting a small child in the middle of a physical confrontation as well.

As for middle class dimwits (I do not like name calling), I would not stand up for these two women. Yes, I have seen mothers of all finacial classes push strollers out into traffic first before themselves or looking, paying attention etc. As a matter of fact I have spoken on many occasions about that single issue with many families as my background is in children and families. That is putting the child into danger as well and you will find no disagreement from me on that one. What I will disagree with is the name calling and finacial status being used as a platform to focus this discussion and any anger. If we wish to name call there are several choice ones I am sure can be used for a mother that abandons her child to save herself from being caught breaking the law. If she had given up at the door she would have her child and not only that but a few less charges against her. Such as child abandonment.

Sorry if I struck a raw nerve there.

My point was aimed at the interfering classes whose first reaction is to take the child from its mother,  also the 'social' system and court services that are infected with the interfering classes who know best on the back of a college certificate in psychology and are predominantly bitter, divorced, women (in the UK anyway).

Yes, I am pi$$ed at the public and the system in particular, at the lack of real consideration and compassion that has been replaced by play-safe extremism and witch-hunting.

The comments that the kid should be immediately taken away pushed my reject button pretty hard - sorry for any offence to nice middle-class women out there who actually understand a little about the new  underclass that is being literally spawned around them.

1. wilderness profile image96
                  wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Overall I would agree with your posts here but for one thing.

If that mother reasoned that "someone will take my child and care for her until I can get her back" her actions might have been at least semi-reasonable.

But I seriously doubt that's what happened; more likely the thought train (what little there was) was something to the effect that "I have to get away!  They'll get meI'll be in trouble!  I have to run - can't do it with a pram - leave it!"

We cannot know, of course, but if the thoughts were solely about "I" and "Me" that child needs to be taken away until the mothers fitness can be established.  A day, a week - whatever it takes to determine that the "I" and "me" were only from panic and do not carry over to daily life.

Absolutly!!! no reason but fight and flight. If she was not able to take care of the child she had many options before and after pregnancy. But we are living in the more children the money I get from welfare state right now. Sad. sad

2. Shawn May Scott profile image60

Apology accepted smile And yes there is a culture of take the child away especially in the US. And yes there is an ever growing underculture that is ignored and not given the opportunities that people with money have. But here is the thing about that...education until grade 12 is paid for by the tax payer. So up until then there is no excuse to be uneducated. Beyond that is a different story and yes it is expensive and difficult for people without money to go to higher education. Also there are many vying for the few scholarships and the limited educational assisstance dollars available. But throughout history we have had the haves and the have nots. Even though we try to improve the situations that many of our families are in there is resistance. I have often wondered if it is the condisending approach that is taken that causes this resistance.

Back to the issue...now that the child has been abondoned by the mother during the committment of a crime the mother sealed her child's fate. As sad as that maybe for him, my heart goes out to him.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
                    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

.education until grade 12 is paid for by the tax payer

The system may be different in the US, in the UK however, children who enter the care system are frequently shipped from one school to another and their levels of attendance at school at inconsistent at best. They will spend periods of time in a care home, then get shipped out to foster parents, back to a care home etc. Frequently this involves the local authority transferring them to different authorities miles away, because the provision required to care for these kids is very expensive. In contrast, when they remain with the family, where this is possible, they will be monitored closely by educational welfare officers, social workers and whatever other agencies are involved with the family. When the child's attendance drops below a certain level the child's mother/father will be pressured to improve the child's levels of attendance. Those two sisters look like kids themselves.

6. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

They were scared and need to mature. Youth pregnancy is on the rise and this is one problem in our society! If that child will be put in foster, the parent had a lesson that will last a lifetime!

Amazing isn't it? They say a mother's love is broken by no means. But I see no love for this child and maybe with hope this mother will learn  deeply needed lessons. One of them being how to love her own child.

Youth pregnancy is another form topic althogether!!! smile I won't tough on that one quite yet. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)