Why do people like bad music?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Harlem6 profile image60
    Harlem6posted 15 years ago

I listen to Lil' Wayne and hear nothing from the lyrics. I used to listen to classic rock before I got into rap, mostly because the songs were about something. Then I heard underground and got into real artists. I feel as though only underground rap is actually preaching a message, talking about real things. Not only does the music sound good, but it is about something. The pop today has no meaning, Lil' Wayne's songs just have random words thrown in. Granted, they do sound really good, but when actually heard and listened to, there is nothing there. Music is an art, why don't the majority of people treat it as such. Can you answer my question please, I want to know? Is it because we are just lazy and do not care? Or do we not even listen to music in the first place at all?

1. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

mmmm I listen to the lyrics and the rhythm and personally I do not care for today's rap, now the 90's had substance but I have to agree with you as there are so many songs without lyrics. smile

2. Teresa McGurk profile image60
      Teresa McGurkposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Why do people buy framed prints to hang over their couches because it matches their color scheme?  There will always be bad taste, from velvet Elvises to over-produced, formulaic music.  The only way to develop a discerning ear, or eye, is to be exposed to as much different stuff as possible.  It's a great question, though; how can people actually LIKE some of that stuff?

1. Cris A profile image59
        Cris Aposted 15 years agoin reply to this

hey some people's trash may be somebody else's treasure, right? okay, crappy i know. bad is bad! there really is no accounting for taste cool

1. Teresa McGurk profile image60

It's true: I confess.  I like the Eurythmics.  But that's because they were GOOD, not because they were over-produced techno pop.

1. Cris A profile image59
            Cris Aposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I love Annie Lennox, too she's got the coolest (deep kinda cool) voice! what about Cliff Richards?! LOL don't mind me, I'm just disturbing you cool

1. Teresa McGurk profile image60

NOOOOooooooooo!   I don't care even if he is on HubPages pretending to be Countrywomen!  No Cliff Richards!

2. Junkster profile image60
              Junksterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I literally cannot stand Cliff Richard, a few years ago I realised that I couldn't stand him and his cheesy personality.  Also I can't stand these singers who pander to the "older women" audience, they seem to have like fifty albums of "recognisable classics" covers.  Like that Daniel O'Donnell too, they can both go the the inner circle of hell as far as I'm concerned.

See, told you I hated Cliff Richard lol

3. RKHenry profile image64
      RKHenryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I wrote a hub about the language of hip hop, not too long ago.  I'm tired of it.  I'm simply sick of Nigga[z].  This black man wants something else.

4. apeksha profile image65
      apekshaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

What do u mean by bad music..?
      I haven't understood how do you  identify good n bad music

1. Junkster profile image60
        Junksterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

In this case just bad rap music which is just going on about women, cars, clothes, bling etc.  peppered with profanity.  Rap music ten years ago andfurther back was meaningful and was a great music genre but now it's all bragging about how rish they all are.

At least that's what I took it to mean

5. Drew Breezzy profile image63
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lil Wayne has recorded a massive amount of material via studio albums, mixtapes, collaborations. He was in 100 something collaborations in 2007 alone.

therefore every song isn't going to be serious and have the same quality

art represents a person and people are silly at times serious at others

Wayne's songs usually tend to contain very creative similes regardless

His radio songs are garbage made with the purpose to made money  example Lollipop

If you want me to list some wayne songs with meaning I'd be glad to

Are you referring to just wayne or mainstream hip hop as a whole?

Because I'll agree most mainstream hip hop is repetitive and worthless

I can inform you about some hip hop artists mainstream and underground to check out if your interested

6. alekhouse profile image71
      alekhouseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do no like bad music, nor do I listen to it. I never turn music on as background, when I turn it on, it's to listen and enjoy. I like many different genres from classical, to jazz, to country, to rock (instrumental); but, it has to be quality music: Vivaldi, Miles Davis, Willy Nelson, Rolling Stones. Or vocal: Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, Diane Krall, Norah Jones, Shania Twain, Barbara Streisand, Frank Sinatra, Luciano  Pavarotti, Mirella Freni, etc. etc. The songs singers like this choose to sing are usually quality music.

2. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
    GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years ago

I listen to a variety of genres. My most favorite bands usually defy genre boundaries. For me, if the music it's self is complex, I'm going to get into it. The idea of asking why someone would listen to "bad" music is to attempt to express an opinion that there is actually bad music.

There is, for sure, but it depends on the listener.

1. Harlem6 profile image60
      Harlem6posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I do agree, my opinion is music without emotion or feeling is bad. Bet then again, I want more art, music doesn't necessarily have to be an art. Music sells because of promotion, I think it's terrible. I really think music is going to make a comeback, but it has to come from the people. I don't think money is going to create it.

3. Junkster profile image60
    Junksterposted 15 years ago

I think that most modern rap is getting like the stereotypical bad rapping where it's not expressing anything ti's just a few lines which rhyme and sound good together then off into a random subject.  Things like Eminem, even back to Slick Rick their rapping styles was almost like storytelling, and that like the majority of good music is what makes you stand out as a songwriter.

I too listen to alot of different music, almost everything apart from the godawful shower of s*** that passes for dance music these days.  What's worse is it's so formulaic, I can provide a recipe for such a monstrosity right now:

- Take one oppresively loud and fast beat (almost hypnotic/mind-numbing
    - Give a good splash of synth noise, possibly rehashing some song from the eighties but taking it up an octave or eight.
    - Take the words from said eighties song, cut out the rest apart from the iconic chorus lyrics, put that through the chipmunk machine so the voice is so high pitched it makes dogs howl.

And loop ad nauseum, until you vomit or remove your own brain with a fork.

If I ever hear music like that I have to listen to something extra special to remove that drivel, like some Jimi Hendrix. smile

4. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
    GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years ago

Haha, good show. ;P

I've become disenfranchised with most Industrial, so I feel your pain.I think rap began to jump the shark when it malformed words to make them ryme. fo' sheezy.

5. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

I think it jus shows what market dominates the recording industry  hmm

6. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

and the promotion of *S* sells tongue so people go wild jus for a photo of a semi nekkid nonsensical tune lol

7. kiwi91 profile image65
    kiwi91posted 15 years ago

I completely abandoned listening to any rap around 2004 or so. It took such a huge nosedive. Hopefully someone emerging artist will rekindle my interest in it, because everything I've heard has been nonsense. If they're selling records or downloads today, they have a synthesized (chipmunk) voice behind it with a brainless techno beat. I blame all of this on Nelly. He got the ball rolling on changing rap from rapping into some sort of god awful singing combined with meaningless rhymes.

8. Harlem6 profile image60
    Harlem6posted 15 years ago

There's an indie hip hop podcast thats free. It's got great hip hop on there. really recent stuff too, if you want to give hip hop a try again, i suggest it.

9. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 15 years ago

OK let me first say that I don't mean to offend anyone. The following lyrics are pretty harsh. Don't read them if you're easily offended. But I totally understand Harlem6 what you're saying.
    Here are lyrics to Lil Wayne's song "Ask Dem Hoes"
    I have attempted to censor certain words.

"See she all on my d$%@ cause i make
    Alot of money, but i unno why cause
    Gets nothing, bring it back...all on my d$%@ cause i make a lot of money, but i unno why cause she gets nothing from me she only get d$%@ way down in her tummy, n she tell all of her friends now her friends wanna, bring it back...only get d$%@ way
    Down in her tummy, and she tell all of her friends now her friends wanna f**k me im lookin in the mirror and i see a dollar sign i had a cat scan and i had money on my mind i tell a b***h go and get my name on ya spin so i can fell good when im hitting it from"

And he is grammy award winning... nice! But Lil Wayne has power  he is the president of Cash Money Records and the CEO of Young Money Entertainment. So cleaner versions of his songs get radio play. I'm not criticizing his work. Just stating that it isn't my style. I don't relate to those lyrics. I'm not sure how many people can?? So why do so many people listen to it? It is catchy (the beat), and they don't pay attention to the lyrics. The market chooses what the radio plays, and that is only a select few artists. So we're kinda programmed to like it if we hear it 100Xs a day.

Sucks sometimes I know. Lil Wayne is a very successful man, who writes the lyrics he wants and gets people to listen to them. Not bad right?? But if that isn't your style research and find your own music.

10. RavynSteel profile image69
    RavynSteelposted 15 years ago

I absolutely cannot STAND the RnB, hip-hop, rap cr*p that is all too prevalent these days. Aside from the fact that the 'songs' have very little melody, the words themselves are invariably a string of vague mumblings interspersed with 'Ho' or 'Bi*ch' or 'Ni**er' called out at random intervals. How on earth is that entertainment?

I reckon the people who habitually listen to this tosh are plain lazy - they cannot be bothered listening to a song which has any kind of meaning, as that may actually require them to use the few brain cells their drug habit or weekend fights may have left them with. Of course I'm generalising here, but that's the impression I get from all the people I know who listen to this so-called 'music'.

Sadly, there are too many fans of this 'music' for it ever to go away.

11. Pete Maida profile image59
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

Music is in the ear of the beholder.  No music style had more messages than the rock of the sixties and seventies but sometimes you don't want a message, sometimes you want to lighten up.

In any case people like what they like.  I think rap has computerized music that takes no effort and anyone can say words with an attitude with a little practice.  The only creativity in the artform is in the writing.  If people like it; more power to them; I know my son does.

12. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

There is no such thing as bad music really...... Somebody will like it somewhere however bad it sounds to us

13. scheinandras profile image60
    scheinandrasposted 14 years ago

People have to listen to bad music in order to hear and appreciate the good ones:)

14. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

It's an art, but sometimes the art is to produce sounds and lyrics that are nothing more than something people enjoy listening to.  Sometimes you want a message in your art.  Sometimes all you want is something you like - message or not.

Don't forget, too, that all messages about things that "real" are not negative, nasty, ones.  Sometimes art attempts to recreate what is real, rather than preach.  The love song about two sixteen-year-olds or two people who have gone through five decades of life together is real too.  Light songs, silly songs, and songs about lost love or dreams are all reflections of real life too.

If I'm looking for deep messages about life I'm not looking to the latest recording artist for those messages.  There is a world of great literature and solid non-fiction writing for "deep thoughts".  Sometimes we look for gifted and complicated use of notes.  Sometimes we appreciate particularly meaningful and clever lyrics.  A lot of people aren't looking for messages beyond either of those.  Call me a snob, but I don't think most people are interested in the "words of wisdom" from someone on a CD. So, that why I like some of the worst music that's ever been created in history, and that has stood the test of time.    smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)