why cricket is more popular than any other sports.

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (24 posts)
  1. profile image31
    scorpio777posted 14 years ago

why cricket becomes most popular.most of the people in different countries are saying they only watch cricket than any other game .

is it good for other sports

1. Lady_E profile image63
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I honestly don't know but I'd like to know why in Cricket, the men rub the ball on their balls....

1. usmanali81 profile image61
        usmanali81posted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, they dont rub them on balls.

2. MUHAMMAD HASSAAN profile image60
      MUHAMMAD HASSAANposted 14 years agoin reply to this

NO,CRICKET IS NOT A POPULAR GAME

2. BuzzWorthy profile image60
    BuzzWorthyposted 14 years ago

What is Cricket?

First time I heard of it...you should create a Hubpage about the Sport of Cricket!

Please LMK when you're done...I want to know what's it all about.

1. Lady_E profile image63
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

and include the answer to my question on why they rub the ball on their balls..............

1. janni321 profile image59
        janni321posted 14 years agoin reply to this

For more shining, in my opinion big_smile

1. earnestshub profile image83
          earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And for a small country Australia shines its balls rather well!

3. glendoncaba profile image75
    glendoncabaposted 14 years ago

Popular has to do with numeric following and this is simply because of British colonialism.  when the empire retreated it left in place good civil engineering, a civil service, educational and health infrastructure, and cricket.  I am not a supporter of colonialism but this was is fact.

indigenous populations have done one thing or the other with every thing else but cricket has survived.

And the popularity is mainly demographics.  The Indians.  Big country.  Then you have Australia, NZ and WI.  Add the other asians and former colonies in Africa and you've got a lot of cricket fans.

So you see why I'm so mad about exclusive sports marketing in my hub.

4. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

In the school I was working at earlier this year none of the children or the teacher I was helping even knew what cricket was so it is anything but popular here in Tenerife! I had to find a newspaper in English with an article about cricket to show them what it was!

1. earnestshub profile image83
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Where were you working Bard?

5. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

while I can agree about how cricket was established.I also have to disagree about it being the most popular or as you stated more popular than any other sport.
    I would have to say to name a few,american football,basketball.baseball.rugby,soccer and even golf are more popular.which puts cricket near the bottom of all these,including hockey and volleyball.

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

It is not.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Let me quation the word popular.In my dictionary it means more people would like it, watch it,and support it.Have you looked at a cricket stadium and seen how many people are there compared to other sports such as the ones i mentioned and they are televised all over the world .Some EVEN IN THE Olympics

7. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Um, what are you smoking, Misha. I want some.

8. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I quit smoking a few years ago Lrohner smile

I know that cricket is quite popular in certain English speaking parts of the World, but the rest of the World does not really care, and if you ask me for a guess football (real one, that Americans call soccer) would be my best bet smile

9. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I think we had a similar thread a few weeks ago, and someone brought up a real statistics, not the anecdotal evidence. Football(soccer) was first by a big margin as far as I remember. And no, I do not watch neither football, nor cricket smile

Oh, and I once was to F1 races, and trust me, the number of people on any cricket match is nothing even comparable - just because the available grounds in F1 are so much bigger. Yet I don't claim F1 to be the most popular sports in the World smile

10. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

At least in the US, it's:

1. football
    2. basketball
    3. baseball
    4. soccer

I'm sure the US basketball / baseball / soccer fans may disagree, but oh well!

1. arun kuruvilla profile image76
      arun kuruvillaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cricket is now changing its face and will surely spread all over the globe. with the introduction of twenty20 cricket, which lasts only 3 hrs,more and more people will attracted to it.Also  its the most unpredictable game.

11. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

I am going to leave it at this.
    Compare a football players wages,(real football)american football players wages or even a rugby players wages ,to a cricket players, popularity generates money ,and the more people like it and pay to watch it the bigger the stadium and the more money people make.this is just common sense and i have to say dont beleive everything you read as your statistics are wrong.
    Since you dont know sports very well ,I just thought I would inform you of this.(for the record I am eaglekiwi'S husband).

12. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL Went back and re-read a few last posts, looks like we are just making fun of ourselves. big_smile

I was answering the title question, I should have specified this smile

So, in full form, it should have sounded as: No, cricket is not more popular lol

13. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
    GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years ago

I strongly agree with misha and eaglekiwi, cricket is only very popular in uk, south asia, and in the other british colonies... Football is the most well played sports in the world although I am a big basketball fan.

Thus football is the most popular sports in the planet, well this is just my point of view though.

14. MBP42 profile image59
    MBP42posted 14 years ago

Popular is judged by numbers. I have only my own preference. I prefer the K-9 tournament to other sports. And no it is not for dogs. It is a martial arts tournament that has nothing to do with rolling around on the ground grappling.

15. MBP42 profile image59
    MBP42posted 14 years ago

Popular is judged by numbers. I have only my own preference. I prefer the K-9 tournament to other sports. And no it is not for dogs. It is a martial arts tournament that has nothing to do with rolling around on the ground grappling.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)