Explaining God

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (91 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 11 years ago

Friedrich Nietzsche, the infamous German philosopher, in his work "Human, All Too Human," under his 9th aphorism, asserts of the metaphysical world, "For there is nothing at all we could state about the metaphysical world except its differentness, a differentness INACCESSIBLE and INCOMPREHENSIBLE (my emphasis) to us."

He continues, "No matter how well proven the existence of such a world might be, it would still hold true that the knowledge of it would be the most inconsequential of all knowledge, even more inconsequential than the knowledge of the chemical analysis of water must be to the boatman facing the storm." 

How could we saying anything POSITIVE about God without having any access to the inner workings of God?  Christians are always reminding us, "Gods ways are above ours."  Perhaps that is all that could be said and nothing more...

1. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How could we saying anything POSITIVE about God without having any access to the inner workings of God?  Christians are always reminding us, "Gods ways are above ours."  Perhaps that is all that could be said and nothing more...

Look around you? The trees, birds, air you  breathe is all created by who many of us call "God".  We do have inner access to God he is within us. Can you clarify what you mean by, " Gods ways are above ours?"

Many of us are still wondering how our Atheists friends cannot believe God created any of this.  Who  else could create such beauty?

1. profile image0
        Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

While nature is beautiful at times, it is ugly also.  The destruction, and the death of most animals on this planet don't point to the idea of a benevolent creator.

However, that is off topic.  How does nature explain anything about the way God works?   What his ACTUAL attributes are, vs what we claim they are?  How the act of creation HAPPENED?  This is more of a technical question than an origin one. 

The argument I quoted wasn't directed at God, but I think it applies.  It also admits that even if a metaphysical world (or God, when I inserted) could not be meaningfully talked about, even if proven to exist.

2. Jane Bovary profile image84
        Jane Bovaryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Define God

1. Paul Wingert profile image62
          Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You ask 10 people to define "god" and you get 10 differnet answers. To me, "god" is a concept. not a physical being.

1. lone77star profile image72
            lone77starposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@Paul Wingert, thanks for adding yet another "definition."

I think you got the "not a physical being" part right. God is entirely non-physical. No physical thing could create all physical reality. God is ultimate and perfect "source." He is the Zen one-sided coin of "cause" untainted by effect. He is the paramita of beingness.

1. Faybe Bay profile image65
              Faybe Bayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I might have to look up "paramita" but very well said!

2. Mikio profile image69
            Mikioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Paul Wingert stated: "God" is a concept, not a physical being.  Amen.
            Unfortunately, most people can't handle this reality.  They need something concrete and physical to digest.  God-as-a-concept is highly plausible, and many highly trained philosophers have been offering their respective opinion on the topic. Personally, I like Paul Tillich's definition of "god": the ground of being.  God is like the ground on which we and everything else stands.  Without the ground, how can we stand up?  Simple enough, huh?

1. profile image0

I wouldn't play the philosopher card.  Most modern philosophers are atheists or agnostics.  Theists only make up about 15 percent of the profession.

Also, what does it even mean to say "God is the ground all being?"  Eloquence of expression is not equivalent to establishing the truth of a claim.  It sounds great, but what does it mean?

1. Suzie Crumcakes profile image57
                Suzie Crumcakesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Whatever, he is a good guy.

1. profile image0

Being a good person doesn't make one automatically correct.  You are probably a good person.  Imagine you witness a robbery.  Your senses fail you, and in the intensity of the moment, you perceive the robber to have a beard, when in fact he doesn't.

The police arrest a man with a beard, who has committed OTHER crimes in the past, though not this one.  You identify him as the culprit, and the jury is inclinced to believe he is guilty because he is rugged and scary.

You didn't do anything malicious, and you aren't a bad person, but you would still be wrong in this case as to who actually robbed the store you were in, no matter how sincerely you held to your conviction that the man with the beard was guilty.

2. Mikio profile image69

Being a philosopher really means that he/she thinks about 'thinking itself.'  God or no god, I think how the thinking activity is being conducted.  As I said before, god as a concept is highly plausible.  It doesn't mean that I know for sure that god exists.  It's just plausible.  God as a ground of being means: it is that which sustains everything else in the universe.  You (and everyone else) can exist because all those sustaining factors came together beautifully.  I think it's highly plausible.  Don't you think?

2. AEvans profile image72

He is the alpha and omega, the beginning and end. He is love, kindness, understanding and forgiveness. Here is more information on who is God which is a little more technical.

http://carm.org/who-is-god

1. Jane Bovary profile image84

I read the link. To you it's a definition, to me it doesn't make sense. How do you know there's one God? Maybe there are a host of them? Or maybe the universe was created by something we can't even conceive of? Since there is nothing to say what the correct definition of God is, we are all in the dark.

Only the faithful claim a special knowledge of God but those definitions are based on say-so,not evidence and are thus as meaningless as me claiming the world was created by a giant cream puff. Anyone can dream up a definition-without evidence they're all equally meaningless in terms of truth.

Jane,

I wrote about my experience with heaven and God. I know there is God and I know there is heaven, we  don't have multiple God's. I also know that when I die one day, I will see all that I knew and will also see God again.

With all of the miracles happening everyday and with my own experience with life after death and being able to be here and talk about it. Nothing can change my mind on my belief, just like nothing can change your mind on yours. smile

1. Jane Bovary profile image84

Well, I haven't come to any firm conclusions about God (the undefinable one) and the big mysteries of life,as you have, so I don't consider that I have some kind of unbudgable mind set.

I can't imagine that kind of certainty. To me it would be like living in an airtight box,shutting yourself off from possibilities.

2. Mikio profile image69

AEvans wrote: I wrote about my experience with heaven and God. I know there is God and I know there is heaven.  This is all fine and dandy.  AEvans knows what God is, and her claim comes from her personal experience.  She's convinced, but she can't convince others.  There is no further point in arguing this issue.  Her stance reminds me of a bumper sticker that says: I know what the truth is.  I believe what the Bible says. That settles it.  As a student in Philosophy, I know when to stop the discussion, and this is the time.  I respect AEvans' personal experience, and I also respect Jane Bovary's very healthy philosophical attitude.

I think this guy has a good attitude. I wish everyone did. Don't get me wrong. I am not saying any one is right or wrong. I am just saying that Mikio is a gentleman and he would be welcome where I live, any day.

By the way, I believe the Bible, too. I have had experience. Still, it's all good and we can be friends.

2. A Troubled Man profile image59
            A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, but there is no information there of technical nature or any other nature concerning your God. The website only makes faith based statements about God but never explains any of them or gives reasons for their validity.

He is in our hearts, our mind and soul. He gives us air to breathe and thought. I had my own experience in my life with God and many things happen after that with him so I could not imagine my world without him, just like you can't imagine your world without feeling lost and empty.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59

Yes, I understand you have deep seeded beliefs in your God, but turning to personal insults does not show you have accepted God into your heart, your mind and your soul, quite the contrary in fact.

2. rmichaelf profile image78
                rmichaelfposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you have accepted God into your heart, your mind and your soul, why are you so fierce, sharp and defensive? You seem angry.  God brings peace, doesn't He?

1. facebookpokerguy profile image64
                  facebookpokerguyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Definitelly agree my friend,

3. aka-dj profile image64
          aka-djposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If we could define Him, he would cease to be God.

Last time I checked, He's WAY too BIG, for us to comprehend Him.

I have enough just discovering His presence in my (little) life.

I believe all of Eternity will not be sufficient "time" to fully comprehend Him (define Him, if you will).

Good luck in your quest. big_smile

1. A Troubled Man profile image59

That makes sense considering men created gods.

2. Jane Bovary profile image84

Yes,if it exists,the realm of God/s is "inaccessible and incomprehensible",so I guess Nietzsche is right.

1. aka-dj profile image64
              aka-djposted 11 years agoin reply to this

NO.
              On the contrary.
              He's quite accessible.
              He, in fact calls us all to Himself.
              It's just people who don't come to Him that's the problem.

1. profile image0
                Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've never been able to wrap my head around the reasoning behind statements such as this one.  And I have tried.

How do you think God is calling? Do you honestly believe that, given a voice from above, the average person would choose non belief? How do you explain people who fervently pray for the spirit? How do you explain those who have lost their faith?

It makes no sense. I used to assume the speaker wasn't thinking. But that isn't fair, since we all have brains. I've wondered if the saying 'God works in mysterious ways' is used by believers to absolve themselves and their deity of responsibility for the callous nature of the claim.

What I believe is that the average believer doesn't follow the train of thought to its logical conclusion. They don't put all of their claims together and consider what manner of deity they are presenting to the world at large. Have you ever attempted that? What image arises?

Starting with the statement you've made, I see an impotent being who can't even get an introductory greeting right.

1. profile image0

This isn't meant to be an insult, but if someone claims they hear voices IN ANY OTHER AREA OF LIFE, they are diagnosed as schizophrenic. 

It's amazing how much tradition and societal norms influence what is considered normal, and what is considered illness.

1. profile image0

I was diagnosed with a hemangio pericytoma. They were wrong.

My mother was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. They were wrong.

I hope you see my point. I would personally be averse to believing a voice from another plane was talking to anyone and I would advise psychiatric evaluation. That doesn't make me right.

LOL! If I had actually heard a god call me, I would answer and go.

So, what words are you hearing from God, exactly, and from where do those words originate so that I can make sure I'm there to hear them?

My friend you can hear them; but you have chosen not to listen to what he is saying. Paul denounced God to and in the end he once again followed his word and was filled with peace and love. You need to find Peace in your life and you would be so happy. smile

1. profile image0

I bet if ATM suddenly found himself blinded, with the voice of Jesus speaking, he'd believe. Paul might not have been the best example to use.

That is entirely false. If you're hearing voices in your head and I'm not, then we would refer to a psychiatrist.

LOL! Suspending disbelief and wallowing in religious dogma is not the same as finding peace.

3. A Troubled Man profile image59

Atheists provide one reason after another, enough to fill a stadium as to why we don't believe in YOUR God as well as all the other Gods out there whom other believers wonder how YOU cannot believe in their Gods and their creation stories.

They would ask YOU who else could create such beauty?

2. Lavoris Palmolive profile image60
      Lavoris Palmoliveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. profile image0

I'm not sure why you responded if you aren't going to engage with Nietzsche's claim at all.

3. rmichaelf profile image78
      rmichaelfposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You have "cahones" or you are a "Troubled Man" my friend! Taking on the fire and vengeance of AEvans surely deserves something... :-)

I spent the better part of the last 50 years struggling with this through five religions and a metaphysical discipline, as well as QM.

I finally accepted the statements from all of those sources as each in turn quietly and succinctly pointed out in their holy books and writings, their oral traditions and their teachings that man simply cannot know the "mind" of God, god, gods, Gods, Allah, nor will man ever be able to understand a Unified Theory even should they be able to develop the mathematics to "prove" one.

hahaha,

blessings,

2. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

Nietzsche was a lost soul!

The metaphysical world is not inaccessible and incomprehensible to me. Nietzsche's arrogance made it inaccessible to him. That arrogance is one aspect of ego.

It takes utter humility and perfect confidence. And no, the combination of these two is not an oxymoron. When you get the connection, you will understand.

Strong belief is not the same as "perfect confidence" (faith). Utter humility is not the same as groveling, but humility is the antidote to ego.

Nietzsche did stretch our minds, philosophically, but the result was a bit too much of a distortion and pessimistic, in my view. Nihilism sucks, but humility is divine. Big difference. Ponder on that difference.

Nietzsche talked about God being dead. That idea was reborn for a little while during the 60s, but it was a crock! Why? Because those who espoused the idea couldn't understand why tragedies like the Holocaust could occur if God were a living, active entity. They let their egos blind them to any possible solution, so they went for Nietzsche's idea.

But God's purpose isn't unknowable. God wants His children back. Wouldn't you do everything to rescue your children if they were lost?

Clues:

God's children were created in His image and likeness, and God is not Homo sapiens!

Physical reality is a product of God's creation, and this is what science studies. Those believers who disrespect science are missing the bigger picture. They think their "interpretation" of the Bible is truth, so they put down anything that disagrees with that interpretation. But could it be ego getting in their way? Could their interpretation be wrong? After all, ignoring reality is tantamount to delusion, and science has reality pegged pretty well. Our technological civilization wouldn't work, if science was mostly wrong.

And yet, I found a biblical timeline compatible with those of science. Imagine that! All it took was humility, faith and hard work. Believe it or not, scientists use these tools all the time. If you look really closely, you'll find them behind every great discovery. Humility not to think they know it all (restraint from prejudging the data), faith that answers can be found, and the hard work that any quest requires.

1. profile image0

I appreciate the thoughtful comment.  A few observations.

First, Nietzsche being a "lost soul" is not really relevant to the quote I posted, even if true.  As to your point about arrogant (speaking of the intellectual realm, and not a personal attack), it seems more arrogant to say we know this special world, despite our human cognitive limitations.  Humankind has always been arrogant though, believing the earth was the center of the universe!  Maybe we should admit we aren't special.

I also don't see any specific argument supporting your point that the metaphysical world is available to us.  You assert the opposite, but I don't know what kind of argument you bring forth that shows we have access.  To say God exists, and then say that's WHY we have access is begging the question, because the existence of God is what people are disputing to begin with.

Furthermore, I'm glad to see you don't deny scientific discoveries the way some (not all) theists do.  I have no issue with severely questioning EVERYTHING, science or not.  It's just rather irksome when a believer tells me the earth was created in 6 literal days, or that the sun stopped, because a literal interpretation of the Bible claims it to be so.

Hope this makes sense.

3. Suzie Crumcakes profile image57
    Suzie Crumcakesposted 11 years ago

That seems too complicated. I just love the Lord. That's all.

1. profile image0

Nothing wrong with that. The questions that come to mind are what is 'the Lord' in your view? How does 'the Lord' perceive others with views that oppose your own? How are others treated by 'the Lord' from an eternal perspective?

How you answer those questions gives us a more indepth understanding of you, nothing about a supposedly higher being or any presumed higher truth.

My view? I can't see all of God from here, so I guess you have to go with what you can see. How's the view from there?

1. profile image0

I don't know. If God exists, it seems that we are the manifestation of God in this reality. God is looking pretty self centered and myopic at this moment, but certainly capable of change for the better.

Well, for now, the view from here looks better. The sun is rising, the  birds are singing and the lagoon is alive with wonder. I know the view can be bleak from the window of a 12th floor apartment in the middle of a modern city, where people live in a man made world of concrete steel and glass. From the air, it looks like a blight is eating up God's glorious creation. Our paths are chosen for us by the designers of infrastructure. Folks swim in a sea of of faces they do not recognize, and are carried by the powerful current of a power with no identifiable source. No wonder there is no sense of wonder. It is better just to keep moving and seek wealth, entertainment, and stimulation. If they stop to ponder, they will be depressed by the formless void of uncertainty. There is a yoke of slavery placed around their neck by the industrial behemoth that desecrates the natural world.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHAXQ_CZBL_f-eVXI8AgQR58ucMgkInqdODXB8ryGlJ-QdqIzrog

Jesus (speaking as God) said, "Behold I stand at the door and knock. Whoever hears, and opens the door, I will come in to eat and drink with them."

I can hear it from here. There is someone at your door. He will help you with your burden and open your heart for love (real love . . . agape love) as you journey through this life. There is no male or female with God, so don't get hung up on semantics. I hope the weather clears up for you, but if it doesn't . . . there is shelter from the storm.

1. profile image0

I apologize in advance for being brutally honest. That is, without a doubt, one of the most ridiculous (and I'm sorry to say, most judgmental) responses you could have offered to the questions I posed. You've made me regret asking.

Okay, just be dismal then.

1. profile image0

So, are you a psychic? I doubt it. As I stated previously, I am hopeful. That hope does not involve looking down on others in order to elevate myself. My back was not designed to be your stepping stone.

What have you been smoking? Save it for the tourists, honey.

2. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In my view, the Lord is the Creator of the universe and everything/everyone in it.  The Lord perceives others with views that oppose my own as His children - whom He loves and destines only for good.  The Lord treats us all in an eternal perspective as they have chosen to treat others during their earthly lives.  He desires only good for all of us, but in the grand scheme of things allows us to choose our paths.  Whether we need one or several lifetimes to work out our eternity, He offers (as does humanity) countless opportunities for us to become like Him - loving and desirous of only good for those we meet.

Also, in my view, the Lord did in fact create us in His image.  We have been trying to return the favor ever since.  That's where we've messed up.

smile

4. profile image57
    NARASINGHPRASADposted 11 years ago

ACCORDING TO HINDU MYTHOLOGY  GOD IS ---"NARA NARAYAN"---MEANS GOD IS WITHIN THE MAN AND MAN IS WITHIN THE GOD AS TEACHER AND STUDENTS ARE TWO SIDES OF A COIN

I respect that. Your culture and wisdom are rich and have so much to offer. I would like to hear more from you. You are a peaceful soul who might be a little agitated by our ignorance. I am sorry for that.  Thank you for your words.

5. Opulent1 profile image59
    Opulent1posted 11 years ago

To me, God is whatever you believe in; if you feel that the God in you is a hateful god, then your experiences manifest as such. If you feel that the God in you is a loving and forgiving God, then those experiences will show up as well.

6. dibbits profile image60
    dibbitsposted 11 years ago

If that is all there is to God, then why the space here.  If God is only whatever you chose to believe, then His manifestation would be what to you?  Love, hate, forgiving are qualities mentioned here.  God is pure love.  That is not an opinion but a knowledge.  Yes, Elizabeth, there are people out here who know God.  When you put all of your SELF aside and hand everything to God, with a lowly and contrite heart, then you will have this understanding. Until, then, keep peace with everyone around you.

7. Mandy M S profile image87
    Mandy M Sposted 11 years ago

I know God.  I have given my life to Him and he is in control.  Over time He has proven Himself to me beyond what could be coincidence.  He has opened my mind and I can see his Divine hand in my life and the life of those around me.  Often He places on me the duty of showing others His divine hand where they are blind to him.  Usually it is one of His sheep gone astray.

I can not explain God to you, and I can not prove his existance to you in any way that would be any good.  I can not understand God or know why things work the way they do.  I know God because he resides in me and he shows Himself to me constantly, but for you to know God you must get there by faith like I did.  It's a long, hard journey, and if you are on the fence it's a tough one.  He'll keep trying to persuade you, but your eyes have to be open to it.  A logical, scientific mind like mine can be slow to be persuaded, and hard not to question. 

Only through time of God constantly poving Himself to me did I finally learn to accept Him.  And I don't really worry about whether is wrong or right to be gay or every word of the Bible is true, or whether abortion should be legal.  These things are not mine to control.  I am instructed to love all of his creatures and I do not judge or question but accept them for who they are.  I accept the world for what it is and I love science and have never felt that something I read in a science journal interefered with my belief in God.  I just accept that through God all things are possible and I don't need to understand it to love God and to know that He loves me.

Once you give Him the power in your life, you will undertand and you can't understand until that time.  It requires that initial leap of Faith.

Wow... that was long winded!

1. profile image0

I'm glad you have found peace in life.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)