I could use a nice digg.

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (52 posts)
  1. vreccc profile image60
    vrecccposted 16 years ago

Hey guys,

I see Misha put in a request a while ago for digging one of his hubs. He got such a nice response I thought I would do the same. The page I'm hoping you will digg for me is a good hub and I believe it merits a digg. I hope you think so. Here it is:

http://digg.com/software/SEO_Optimizati … d_Research

Of course, one good turn deserves another. If you have a useful hub I'd be glad to digg it for you.

Kindest regards,

Jonathan

1. robie2 profile image78
      robie2posted 16 years agoin reply to this

me too, me too--I dugg you too, Jonathon  and I friended you the other day Jimmy. I'm a little leery of asking for diggs from friends-- a little green ribbon goes on an article you've submitted on digg when a friend diggs it.  What's that about anyway???? big_smile

2. stephhicks68 profile image87
      stephhicks68posted 16 years agoin reply to this

You got it!

3. stormyweather profile image66
      stormyweatherposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jonathan

I will digg you now - it is a great article.

Very best
      Stormy

2. boycottchapter27 profile image43
    boycottchapter27posted 16 years ago

Jonathan,

You got it, Nice work...Share the Love

http://www.digg.com/odd_stuff/The_Hotte … on_Chicago

Peace

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Dugg and friended big_smile

4. jimmythejock profile image82
    jimmythejockposted 16 years ago

i am not looking for diggs lol but if any hubpage authors want to join me on there and add me feel free.....jimmy
    http://digg.com/users/thejockjimmy

5. vreccc profile image60

Thanks Boycott, Misha and Jimmy

Boycott and Jimmy..... you been dugg.

Jonathan

6. vreccc profile image60

Rock on Robie!!! Thanks

7. vreccc profile image60

saaaaweeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!

Jonathan

8. funride profile image68
    funrideposted 16 years ago

Dugg wink

9. Bob Ewing profile image65
    Bob Ewingposted 16 years ago
  10. vreccc profile image60

Thanks Funride and Bob.

Bob, yours is dugg

11. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 16 years ago

From the Digg TOS

USER CONDUCT

As a condition of use, you promise not to use the Services for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these Terms of Use, or any other purpose not reasonably intended by Digg.

By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree not to use the Services:

9. with the intention of artificially inflating or altering the 'digg count', blog count, comments, or any other Digg service, including by way of creating separate user accounts for the purpose of artificially altering Digg's services; giving or receiving money or other remuneration in exchange for votes; or participating in any other organized effort that in any way artificially alters the results of Digg's services;

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Relache,
      Do you believe posts normally get to the first page of Digg without any "organized effort"?

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 16 years agoin reply to this

If his hub was so good, wouldn't all of you read it and digg it without being asked?

1. livelonger profile image87
          livelongerposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Some might. But unless you're either part of the "Digg clique" or you create another clique like folks have here, you will never get any visibility on the site. This has been one of the biggest and most enduring criticisms of the service.

2. vreccc profile image60
          vrecccposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Relache,

I think what Inspirehub said was that Digg has its own shout feature where you can invite people to come, see and digg if it is worthy.

Writeon-- right on, buddy..........

Thank you for your kind words.

Thanks to all.

3. Inspirepub profile image74
          Inspirepubposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I am still getting people leaving comments on my "Web 2.0 Marketing - Fact or Fiction?" Hub now, who were around when I published it, but never went to read it at the time.

So many people are publishing so many Hubs that I don't read every single one, even the ones published by the people of whom I am a fan.

If I am being asked to Digg something, though, I will go and read it, and if it's good, I'll Digg it.

So in my case, I certainly would not have tripped over some of these Hubs on my own. And even when I find a good Hub, I usually give it a thumbs up, but I wouldn't necessarily think to Digg, Stumble, Propeller, Blink, Sphinn, and Connotea it as well. I don't even do that for all of my own!

Jenny

4. profile image0
          daflaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Relache, you really need to chill out on the rules thing.  Anytime anyone asks anything, you're the one who knows the rules.

How are we going to find out about each other's hubs if people don't post links and ask us to read them?  Not everyone has hours a day to hang around the forums so that people will know they are here, and that they have published a new hub, or whatever.  I barely have time to publish them, much less read a lot of new ones.

That being said, I think we need a forum to promote our hubs.  Or do we have one?  See how little time I have to spend here?

1. relache profile image72
            relacheposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Now that it appears that HubPages was just banned from Digg (and del.icio.us), I think you might want to reconsider the rules.

1. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69
              Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Obviously someone needs to know the rules to answer all of the questions people have.

Some rules are important to follow.  When some people don't follow rules, an entire community feels the backlash.

2. Hope Alexander profile image68
            Hope Alexanderposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I don't know, I think I am with Relache on this one. It's not so much that the rules are important for their own sakes (down with 'the man' let's all stick safety pins in our ears), it's the fact that breaking them causes havoc for everyone. I think there is a little too much focus on promotion here at Hub Pages, versus actually writing good useful hubs and letting people find them, and bookmark them if they like them.

(As an aside to what is turning into a long rant that probably no-one will read and I don't blame you, there is relatively little in the forums where people query about how to write good content, or write well, when compared to the amount of people asking about promotion and making money. Cart before horse, much?)

I'm not against promotion in its entirety, it can help, but I disagree that other Hub Pages users are the ones who should be digging your hubs. Obviously several social bookmarking sites have a problem with what has been submitted to them, so obviously the quality of what has been dugg or stumbled or whatever isn't great.

Don't get me wrong, some Hubs are fantastic and definitely worth sharing with the world. I am simply guessing that people are biased towards submiting the hubs of others because of the friendly loving nature of Hub Pages. Some of you have said that people here are impartial, but that obviously isn't the case. Also, keep in mind, there has to be some thought in the mind of some hubbers that if they dig your article, you'll dig theirs. I'd like to believe that we're above 'you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours', but let's face it, we're human, and en masse, we screwed this one up.

I don't think that Hub Pages would be banned from these sites if a high volume of really high quality material was being submitted. If the material was truly great, then Hub Pages would be viewed as an asset and encouraged, and perhaps even gain more status, instead of being summarily banned for a truckload of what is evidently viewed as being substandard, spammy content.  (Correct me if I am wrong, I may be.)

Unfortunately, the truly great hubs will now never get the traffic they deserve from those sites because self promotion ran rampant. Maybe we could learn a lesson from this instead of arguing against it and looking for more ways to promote content that perhaps doesn't deserve it? (Let's face it, everyone thinks their own work is good, or they wouldn't publish it.)

To end, one of my favorite comments on this matter comes from the creators of a very successful danish webcomic, Little Gamers, who stated that the Internet is a meritocracy, and eventually, good quality material will rise to the top. I believe that this is true.

/Rant

12. vreccc profile image60

Aaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those are the terms of service.

At an attempt to defend myself, I did say in my request that if the reader felt it worthy, they could digg it. Maybe digg doesn't care about that.

Jonathan

1. Write On! profile image70
      Write On!posted 16 years agoin reply to this

Worthy:-) 

And I will say it here.  I will not Digg that which is not credible.  But, I am so very happy to know that we can work with one another for that which is produced here... in helping Hubbers and Hubpages to be known for great information.

And THAT is how and why this can be a great marriage.

Personally, I think it requires One with a great Hub - to be very confident in their work, request and offering.

I say this, because I went and read Jonathan's work... impressive Hub, to say the least.  This deserves to be dugg.

Bottom line - if we, as hubbers, go around digging crud -- it won't go anywhere anyway.

I believe that we all hold hubpages and ourselves to much higher standards than spam!

Great work Jonathan...  as WriteOn, I can't think of anything that I have done - which compares to the standard your hub sets... IMHO.

WriteOn:-)
      DUGG!

WriteOn!

13. Inspirepub profile image74
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

I think what is happening here is exactly the way Digg is designed to work.

People get their friends to look at their stuff, and if they like it, they Digg it.

I don't think anyone Hubbing here is a mindless robot who will Digg anything put in front of them and then serve up spam for everyone else to Digg.

And Hubs are quality content, just the kind of stuff Digg wants people to find when they search it.

Digg itself has a feature called a "shout", where you tell all your friends you have just posted something and you want them to have a look and Digg it.

All Jonathan did was "shout" in another place, which is what Digg hopes will happen.

Jenny

1. Write On! profile image70
      Write On!posted 16 years agoin reply to this

Agreed:-) 

WriteOn!

14. quotations profile image87
    quotationsposted 16 years ago

I have a new hub. If my fellow hubbers think it is worthy, I would appreciate a nice Digg.
    Thanks

http://hubpages.com/hub/Mothers_Day_Quotes

15. vreccc profile image60

Quotation,

You have to submit it to Digg first and then present the digg link here.

Jonathan

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/2350?page=2#post21921
      I would listen to beta1070. She seems to know what she is talking about smile

2. quotations profile image87
      quotationsposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Here is the link: http://digg.com/arts_culture/Mother_s_Day_Quotes Sorry I forgot to add it before.

16. vreccc profile image60

You'd think the people at Digg would have something better to do. I bet they only check stuff that gets really high up there.

17. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Well, when I submit I'm at least trying to get as high as I can smile

18. vreccc profile image60

quotation,

that was a nice hub. It's dugg. ya digg it?

19. boycottchapter27 profile image43

Gotcha Dugg...Good Luck...NICE HUB

20. crazyhorsesghost profile image72
    crazyhorsesghostposted 16 years ago

Its Dugg and it is a nice Hub there

21. vreccc profile image60

Bot and Crazy, thanks!!!!

22. boycottchapter27 profile image43

http://hubpages.com/hub/Managing-Your-Own-Properties

Let me know what ya think....Thanks

23. quotations profile image87
    quotationsposted 16 years ago

Let me know what you think about my new hub:

http://digg.com/arts_culture/The_Top_Te … ror_Movies

Thanks

24. Peter M. Lopez profile image70
    Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years ago

The word has come down from on high.  PaulDeeds posted this on another thread:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/3231#post23214

1. MarloByDesign profile image78
      MarloByDesignposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Peter, for pointing that out!!! Paul's comment makes me realize it is not just me.

I was wondering why I could not submit Hubs to Digg, that % thing really through me off - I tried for 10 minutes, and Digg kept converting the Hub URL to a URL with percentages.

25. waynet profile image70
    waynetposted 16 years ago

Get a spade then... hahahahaha!!

26. vreccc profile image60

I've learned quite a bit here. I started this thread back during a more innocent and naive time. Oh... to return to those days. I'll rescind and state that I agree with Relache, as well. Yeah, a full swing of the pendulum. But anyone who hasn't read this thread in its entirety should start from the beginning. The evolution of the conversion and the resulting conclusions drawn are quite interesting.

Jonathan

27. Hope Alexander profile image68
    Hope Alexanderposted 16 years ago

Further to my original point, if you want to really learn about the power of just writing damn good, engaging content, check out this guy: http://maddox.xmission.com/

His site has over 300,000 unique visitors every week, a couple of YouTube videos he posted have close to 2 million views each, and he gained a book deal from his website writing and subsequently wrote a book that hit Amazon's Top 10 selling list.

He did this ALL without EVER promoting anything. (He has a strict policy against promotion, you can read about it on the site.) ((Edited to add: He did promote the book, because publishers tend to be snippy about that sort of thing, but the site itself has never been promoted or advertised anywhere.))

All he did was post articles regularly, search engines indexed his work, people came, liked what they saw, passed it along to friends, and in later years, submitted his work to social bookmarking sites. You won't even see any advertising on his site, and the design went out with the 90's, but his content is so crisp, sharp, and funny that people just don't care.

THAT is what people mean when they say that content is king.

This isn't perhaps an ideal model, and I'm not saying we should all do what he does. What I am saying is that good content will always win out in the end. Always. (Which is probably why Hub Pages reminds us of that every time we start to make a new Hub.)

Coming out of lurking mode to soooooo totally agree with you that content is king. Good writing on a subject that somebody wants to read about will attract attention on the web or in print sooner or later and it's the best "promotion" one can have.

28. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

Well, not that relache needs defending, she is more than capable of that on her own smile

But she has a very good point and making everyone aware of the rules will protect us all. If hubpages gets banned from all the major networking sites, it will cost all of us.

I will say some thing I have been saying over and over as well.

YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME AND EVERYONE ELSE'S PROMOTING YOUR HUBS ON THESE FORUMS.

And yes, I shouted.

Go - join a networking site and promote them there - by being an active, useful member of that community.

I agree totally, Mark.  Before I joined hubpages a couple of months ago I had barely heard of social bookmarking. I've been poking around digg and Stumbleupon for the past few days to get an idea of how they work.   I've submitted a couple of my hubs, made "friends" and dugg the work of some fellow hubbers among other things, but it seems to me that the game may not be worth the candle. It takes a lot of time and energy to find a community of "friends" on these sites that likes what you like and shares your interests and will be interested in the articles or hubs that you are interested in. Better to concentrate on writing the best stuff I can, throw it out on the internet and let the cream rise to the top and the garbage sink to the bottom smile

29. Inspirepub profile image74

I think that having a discussion like this in the forum here is "preaching to the choir".

Generally, the people who are interacting on the forums ARE writing good quality Hubs, and are also participating in any other social sites where they choose to belong.

The people who screw things up are the ones who blow in, throw up a few spammy Hubs, and then go and spam bookmarks to the spammy Hubs all over every social site they can find.

They won't be reading this thread, because they don't interact.

They won't realise they are peeing in the well, because they never hang around to see the consequences of their actions.

My view is, I know that what I am doing is producing good content and letting people know about it. I made one mistake, bookmarking Hubs and blog posts on Newsvine, not realising they don't consider those things "news". Lesson learned. I may re-start there, just marking news stories and press releases, at some point in the future.

If from time to time, various places I might want to bookmark things get messed up by other people, shrug, move on. That's life, that's human nature, and you can't prevent it, you can only roll with it.

I am certainly not going to stop my own legitimate activities in a vain attempt to influence the outcome of what is, as Paul points out, the Tragedy of The Commons. All that will do is allow the spammers a millisecond longer to do their thing before the shutters come down. And reduce the amount of genuinely good stuff being bookmarked in the meanwhile.

I believe that doing the right thing will work out in the long run.

I believe that not doing the right thing out of fear of "punishment" won't work out in the long run.

Integrity is its own reward, and the decision of Delicious (wherever the dots go) and Digg is no comment on my integrity, or yours.

Jenny

1. Hope Alexander profile image68
      Hope Alexanderposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately the problem is that evidently we are not preaching to the choir, because the choir just done got themselves banned by one social bookmarking site, and warned by a couple of others.

30. Inspirepub profile image74

I don't think it was this choir that got HubPages banned from Delicious.

I know of at least one media site where companies post press releases, that has had its URL banned by Delicious.

I basically don't use Delicious any more, because I don't trust the quality of their filtering process.

Banning an entire multi-user site is just silly, when it is always going to be a subset of the users who are spammers, and there will be plenty of others who aren't.

What's more, even on pages on my other sites which I CAN bookmark using Delicious, there is hardly any traffic from Delicious, and the traffic I get from there is really bad quality, and bounces at 100%.

It's not worth using, as far as I am concerned.

While the timing is suspicious, that someone posted a link to Digg on a forum here, and then Digg blocked HubPages, I would need a lot more convincing that it was cause and effect.

If Digg thought one of us was spamming their system, surely they would have shut down that user's own individual account, as well as blocking the domain? Has anyone who posted a Digg link here been kicked out of Digg?

I would say the idiot who sent 600+ requests a few days ago is a more likely culprit for doing something to trip Digg's trigger.

Jenny

31. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

LOL
    Since it all seem to start with me, let me clarify a couple of points smile

First, while delicious is not capable of bringing quality traffic, I see a noticeable effect from a SEO standpoint on my other sites. And that is what for I use it.

Digg (as many other social sites) has smart team. They usually don't ban your account or URL - they isolate it. You can still see your submissions, and users who you sent direct link can see and vote, too - but nobody else sees them.

In my particular case (that by the way happened almost two months ago, long before the recent digg frenzy on HP) my submission was manually removed from upcoming list after it got enough votes to be considered for the placement on the first page.

That means either my account, or HP URL, or both are flagged on digg. And I currently have no way of saying for sure which one is responsible for what happened. I'm thinking of other experiments to make, but I'm not there yet.

32. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

I have had digg accounts banned and a whole site banned before and they usually put up a statement saying that the whole site has been banned.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)