Where were you when you heard about the 9/11 attacks?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (28 posts)
  1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

I was teaching Brit lit to my seniors. A fellow teacher/friend came in and told me about the first attack, and we all thought it was a tragic accident. Then he came back to tell me about the second plane. All the teachers turned on their TVs and regular teaching pretty much shut down. Hubby was working in a remote area with no TV, so I called his cell to inform him. He was so upset that he stopped work and went home.

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was a nun at the time, and believe it or not, I was on my knees praying when my novice director came to tell me what had happened with the first plane.  She left and while I was praying for the victims, she came back to tell me there had been a second.  She and I and my sister novice gathered around a radio in our classroom until we were all called together in our chapel to pray.  One of our sisters had a brother who was a priest in NYC within a few blocks of the towers.  It was hugely frightening for her that she was unable to reach him for days.

sad

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was at work. I was working in a library at the time. A few of us found a TV and watched the coverage, we saw the buildings fall...

3. Trish303 profile image72
      Trish303posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was on a air force base working for the pizza place. We lived on base at the time. We went on lock down as fast as it happened.

4. AnnaCia profile image77
      AnnaCiaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When 9/11 happened I was in my office beginning my day of work.  My computer was on.  A person came to the office to inform that something happened to the first of the twin towers.  I look on the internet and I was terrified to see that the 2nd tower was hit.  Terrible day filled with grief.

5. hopped profile image83
      hoppedposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was a junior in high school.  Going into my third hour class a lot of studens had heard half-stories about what was going on.  The principal came over the loudspeaker and told us what had happened.  Third hour was my student aide hour and my assignment that day, after hearing the announcement, was to go find a tv and report back to my teacher what was happening every fifteen minutes or so.  I spent most of the 47 minute period alone watching the news and trying to process what to do.

6. tammyswallow profile image90
      tammyswallowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was at work and someone who was watching TV in the break room came out and said the World Trade Center was hit. Awhile later she came back out and said another plane hit the other building. I remember thinking someone had just declared war. Later that day they announced that the planes hit the Pentagon and then Pennsylvania. I was very upset because I grew up in Pennsylvania, directly across the street from where the plane landed. I called my Grandmother who was alive at the time. She and her neighbors heard two explosions and the second would knock the paintings off of her walls. She was one of the first people in that area to view the site.

7. Taurus2 profile image58
      Taurus2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was having a tea in my office building. Then it broke like hell...

2. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 11 years ago

At the time I had a two-hour commute to work and had to be there at 8 a.m.  I was right in the middle of the Dallas mixmaster when I heard it on the radio.  When I arrived at work, the second had hit.  We had a TV in the conference room and watched the events in horror.  Seeing the buildings come down on live TV was devastating.   Our office was near Love Field and we were used to seeing planes in the air all day.  When they halted air traffic it was eerily quiet.   All I wanted to do was go home and hold my kids.  They were 8 and 10 at the time. When I got home that evening I was concerned about how much they knew or didn't know about the events that day.  My son was the 10 yr old and usually pretty quiet.  However, he was so fired up and ready for combat.  He was under the impression that all of us would have to fight and he was more than ready to do it.  He told me that he thought we had the perfect weapon.......his little sister.  He said we could put her out there and the bad guys would be distracted by a cute little girl and then he could ambush them.  It was such a sweet moment.

3. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

I was in NY watching it unfold on tv

4. TeachableMoments profile image68
    TeachableMomentsposted 11 years ago

Getting ready for work in the Bay Area. Watched the towers fall as I was getting dressed. Cried while driving to work. Had to pull over.

5. lyndre profile image60
    lyndreposted 11 years ago

I was in the barbershop getting my young son a haircut.

I looked at the television and at first thought it was a movie channel they were on until the news reporter came on

6. livewithrichard profile image71
    livewithrichardposted 11 years ago

I was at my then job setting up a CNC machine when a co-worker came to tell me what was happening on the TV in the breakroom.  I thought it was a hoax at first but then watched live as the second plane crashed.  I was sick to my stomach... outraged... and fearful because I had friends working in Manhattan and my dad was working downtown Chicago... which could have easily been a target as well.

7. kathyinmn profile image59
    kathyinmnposted 11 years ago

Oh gee I will never forget that day.

I lived in Buffalo NY at the time. The night before, I was talking to my friend; she was dictating an e mail for me to send to her daughter, who was in Russia at the time. I remember suddenly I got a strange feeling and I said to her that something bad was going to happen. I told her about 4 times, I just couldn’t shake the feeling.
    The next day I was at work, it was a quarry near Niagara Falls, when I hear the news. It came over the radio. At first we thought it was a horrible accident, but the other plane hit and then the pentagon, we started to get scared because the falls is where most of the state gets its power from and we wondered if a plane would hit there too. When the buildings fell, I started to cry, those poor people. I called my friend right away and told her to turn on the tv, she had not heard about what had happened.
    A few days later, I heard about a Lackawanna connection to the 9-11. I started to wonder of at the time I was on the phone with my friend; someone also was on the phone giving the go ahead for this. Maybe that’s why I felt something bad was going to happen.
    I will never really know.

8. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

i was getting ready to leave for work, checked the news and sat there horrified for the next seven hours. 

The sad part of the events of that day was the loss of American innocence.  Before that day the majority of Americans never thought that actions of this type was even possible within the borders of the U.S.A..  We now realize we are not invulnerable to the worst atrocities known to humanity.  We naively believed that this sort of situation would/could never happen to America.  With such a tragic loss, the realities of the world were forced upon us.  Unfortunately the U.S.A. will never be the same!

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnodXVtbbRIH6GusfpE_ZCZXSdU0Dvac3HL04zViG4qJrdqpXr

1. Taurus2 profile image58
      Taurus2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

When the enemy lies in home, you can't really unite...

9. ThePracticalMommy profile image89
    ThePracticalMommyposted 11 years ago

I was a freshman in college, in an Educational Psychology class. As our habit, we turned on the news in the morning before the professor arrived. We had just seen the news about the first plane when our instructor walked in, asked us what was going on, and then shut off the TV saying , "Planes crash into buildings all of the time. It's time for class". I'll never forget his ignorance... We didn't find out the whole story until after class as we walked in the hallways seeing everyone dazed and some crying.

10. austinhealy profile image73
    austinhealyposted 11 years ago

I was sitting in my truck, ready to unload my bicycle to go for my morning ride when I heard on the radio that a plane had hit one of the world trade center towers. First, I thought it was an accident as nobody was  sure what really happened. When I heard about the second hit, it was no accident anymore! Then, I heard about the Pentagon crash and I couldn't believe what I heard. Needless to say, at that point, I cancelled my bike ride and went home to watch television, in deep shock like millions of other people the world over. A truly sad day not only for America, but for the whole world as life as we knew it before would never be exactly the same.

11. GiblinGirl profile image71
    GiblinGirlposted 11 years ago

I was in my dorm room at college - Rutgers University - doing some homework when one of my roommates started yelling, "Oh my God, Oh my God, a plane just hit one of the towers."  I ran into her room and we proceeded to watch the events unfold in utter disbelief.  Later I remember walking around campus with this eerie sense of silence surrounding everything.

12. Denise Handlon profile image86
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

I was in Fairbanks, Alaska that day.  I had taken a job as a travel nurse and my assignment was wrapping up.  I was scheduled to fly back to Michigan on the 16th.  My daughter called and asked me to turn the tv on.  The replay was so confusing-definately looked like a Hollywood movie. 

I asked her what was going on because my mind just couldn't fathom the depth of it.  It was unreal.   I will never forget watching that and feeling so frightened, vulnerable, alone and so far away from my loved ones!    sad

13. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

I was putting on my socks and dragging my butt because I had to go to work.  The TV was on, and I kept seeing that plane hit the tower.  Over and over again.  I had to keep telling myself that this was for real.  I could not believe it.  I was hoping it was just a movie.  Or I was having a bad dream.

14. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I was in Vancouver, just coming to work.

15. Missy Mac profile image70
    Missy Macposted 11 years ago

I was on the playground with my students and a teacher came out and told me to immediately have the class come inside.  I was told of the the tragedy and had a sunken feeling.

16. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

I'd just arrived at work, and a co-worker told me. At the time, I worked at the University of Texas, in a building that had a small auditorium where we could project TV broadcasts on twin, wall-sized screens. We tapped into the newscasts and watched everything on these giant screens. Parts of the campus were put on lockdown, because one of President Bush's daughters was a student there. Work was pretty much abandoned for the day; we knew we were witnessing history.

Several people cried, but some could remember when Pres. Kennedy was assassinated or when Charles Whitman climbed the tower and shot people, and many of them watched more silently and soberly - remembering those other tragedies.

17. Pavlo Badovskyy profile image75
    Pavlo Badovskyyposted 11 years ago

I was passing my IATA certification to be a certified airline tickets sales agent. When I finished the exam and went outside absolutely happy I got a phone call telling me about sad news.

18. Thelma Alberts profile image91
    Thelma Albertsposted 11 years ago

I was at work in a caffeteria in Germany. We had a radio on with good music that was suddenly enterrupted due to what happened in the USA. My boss came to us  workers in the kitchen and told us about what happened. It was terrifying. Most of our guests went home to see the news and I we were able to go home early. Seeing the news in the telly, I was trembling and felt the pain myself by just looking at the news. I thought "the 3rd world war comes." I´m glad, it´s not.

19. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

I was getting ready for work -- Peoria, Arizona.

I had on the TV, and saw the smoke coming up from the World Trade Center, but my rushed mind thought they were rehashing old news about the 1993 WTC bombing.

Only when I got to work did I learn that this was a new event and that we had been attacked.

///////

But it took me nearly a decade to learn that we were attacked from within. 9/11 was an inside job.

For ten years, I believed the Bush "conspiracy theory" and didn't look any closer or investigate any further.

But then I learned about tons of iron microspheres in the 9/11 concrete dust which prove that there had been molten iron moments before the collapse of each of the 3 buildings. Molten iron atomized in that way proves controlled demolition. And the weeks or months required to prepare for controlled demolition in those 3, highly-secure buildings proves that 9/11 was an inside job.

I learned of order of VP Cheney to stand down from interfering with the airplane which approached the Pentagon when it was 50 miles out, 30 miles out, and 20 miles out. Transportation Secretary Manetta was puzzled by this behavior.

I learned that every officer responsible for the failures to protect America on that day were given promotions! Yes, promoted for failing to protect America.

I learned how eyewitnesses of the Pentagon "crash" saw the path of the airplane which was inconsistent with the damage created. I learned how one witness saw a commercial airliner pull away from the Pentagon a moment after the explosion.

I learned how people withing the government and corporations benefited from the destruction that day -- the NeoCons who wanted to take over the Middle East. The Bush family who wanted to attack Iraq and had to dream up WMDs to make it happen (because 9/11 was not enough reason). Larry Silverstein needed a way to make money off of the White Elephant WTC he had leased only weeks earlier. Several corporations and their executives needed the SEC evidence in WTC7 to go away. The Oil Industry needed new sources of oil they could steal. The Military Industrial Complex needed new wars to fight to increase their profits. And Donald Rumsfeld needed a way to make the evidence go away of the $2.3 Trillion he had announced as missing on 9/10/2001. So, many in Corporate America and Government had plenty of Motive behind 9/11.

I learned how one of the Rockefellers had told the late Aaron Russo, October, 2000, about a "big event" which would give US Iraq and Afghanistan. That "big event" happened 11 months later.

I learned of the connection to George H.W. Bush's "New World Order" speech given on September 11, 1990 -- exactly 11 years before that fateful day.

I learned about the subtle detail in the movie, Matrix (1999), where the Expiration Date of Neo's passport was September 11, 2001 -- a date two years in the future! And, to the New World Order, that date was the expiration of America's liberties. Ever since then, we have had severe erosions to the Constitution of the United States -- UnPatriot Act, TSA, NDAA with its indefinite detention clauses for American citizens, Obama's "Kill List" including American citizens, HR 347 which makes it a felony to protest, and much, much more.

The America we knew has died. And the Corporate Party behind that murder is happily dismantling America.

Already, voting and Roberts Rules of Order are meaningless in both halves of the Corporate Party -- the Demopublicans and Republicrats.

RNC Scripted:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKaXqoC4DjE

DNC Scripted:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmaE2Aez_XY

May God have mercy on us and protect us in the coming storm of tyranny.

20. HoneyBB profile image92
    HoneyBBposted 11 years ago

I worked the night shift and was living with my sister at the time. I got home shortly before it happened and went to sleep. My niece woke me up at about 4:30 in the evening saying terrorist had attacked us. I thought, what a crazy thing for her to say. I was certain she was pulling my leg. She insisted I come out to the frontroom to see it on the television. I got up and went to watch in horror. It broke my heart, and scared the hell out of me. However, I am still grateful that my innocence in the safety of our country lasted a few more hours than most everybody else's.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)