Eating raw food

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Denise Handlon profile image87
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

What is your favorite raw food to eat?

2. Denise Handlon profile image87
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

Besides the usual: fresh fruits and vegetables; my favorite raw food is sushi.  What's yours?

3. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

I also would have to say sushi!

Also, was surprised at the non-yuckyness of raw eggs in fruit smoothies!

Denise Handlonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile

4. Vellur profile image94
    Vellurposted 11 years ago

Carrots, beetroot onion and tomatoes are my favorite.

Hi vellur-thanks for sharing

5. Danette Watt profile image81
    Danette Wattposted 11 years ago

Celery, carrots, tomatoes (sun-kissed cherry tomatoes right off the vine - Yum!), recently tried sushi and that wasn't too bad.

My former yoga teacher was a raw foodist for a while - nothing was cooked, it was a pretty interesting diet. She was a vegetarian so raw meat wasn't an issue but she was only on it for less than a year. I think she quit it b/c her body wasn't handling it well. But I've heard of others who are.

Thanks Danette-yeah, love those sun-kissed cherry tomatoes!

6. Healthy Pursuits profile image78
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years ago

Tomatoes and cucumbers fresh from the garden. And fruit smoothies. We have a lot of fantastic fruit in Oregon, and I take full advantage of it. I picked 10 quarts of wild blackberries this month, and 44 pounds of peaches!

WOW!  That's an awful lot of picking.  I love berries off the bush and peaches-YUM   I wrote a hub about making my very first peaches and pecan pie.    Oh, it was sooo good.     Tonight I used blackberries and raspberries in a dessert recipe that turned out just as delicious.  smile

7. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 11 years ago

A warm, fresh apple that is so ripe it just comes off in your hand from the tree.  That would have to be an English apple from an English tree, of course.   I've eaten fresh apples grown in Australia and New Zealand (Have lived in the Southern Hemisphere since 1951) but have never tasted an apple as good as those I ate as a boy in England.

And what often added to the flavour was they were often apples stolen from someone else's orchard or garden.   'Scrumping' was the term we used for it.

I've not heard of this word: 'Scrumping' but I like it  smile    It sounds like a lovely activity, hee hee.   (I can just picture myself doing this).   A fresh picked apple sounds delicious.

8. healthy meals profile image67
    healthy mealsposted 11 years ago

All fruits and also I like carrots, grated carrots and tomatoes.

Two thumbs up!

9. Thelma Alberts profile image89
    Thelma Albertsposted 11 years ago

All fruits and tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, lettuce and sprout beans.

I don't do bean sprouts...upsets my stomach too much, but the rest sounds great.  I like to mix cukes, tomatoes and onion slices and marinade them in a vinegar and oil mixture.

10. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Make sure those raw eggs are pasteurized!

11. GiblinGirl profile image72
    GiblinGirlposted 11 years ago

I'm super paranoid about eating anything raw other than fruits and veggies so I would have to say my favorite raw food is baby carrots.

I eat the baby carrots a lot at work when I want to munch on something.  smile

12. moneyfairy profile image60
    moneyfairyposted 11 years ago

I love baby carrots right from the garden just wipe off the dirt and eat and cucumbers raw...and golden delicious apples yumm

Oh, yeah...smile

13. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 11 years ago

Hi, Denise

I'm with you 100% on sushi but it has caused me so many problems over the years, it's unbelievable, as hardly anyone else I know likes it! sad

A big problem for me was the fact that my ex was allergic to all fish and seafood so I certainly couldn't eat sushi when she was around. Unfortunately, even many friends balked at the idea and most of my sushi eating experiences have actually been solo ones.

You may be interested in an experiment a fishing friend and I conducted just a few weeks ago. We had seen a very basic and down to Earth British celebrity chef (Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall) catching mackerel and eating them virtually live. We were on a mackerel fishing trip and decided to give it a go. There was no danger of contamination as we were fishing in pristine waters on a Scottish sea loch. (This is not recommended in more commercially frequented waters.)

We basically killed a mackerel, immediately filleted it and tried it. I ate a couple of pieces - my friend subtly disposed of his first piece. It had an almost "Earthy" taste to it. Definitely needed a bit of pepper and lemon juice but it was an interesting experiment anyway that I don't regret. You definitely don't get fresher, that's for sure!

Wow-how interesting, Gordon.  It definitely would be worth giving it a try.  Sorry to hear about the 'gastric' conflict between you and sushi.  It is so much fun to eat, although, lately I've actually just dipped the fish or what not into the wasabi sauce after knocking off the white rice.  I know it kind of defeats the whole purpose of the recipe but I sure don't need any extra starch like that. 

Cheers.  smile

14. LupitaRonquillo profile image77
    LupitaRonquilloposted 11 years ago

Spinach, grape tomatoes and cucumbers for salads and for raw juice, apples, cucumber ginger and lime!

Yum...sounds great.  Just had the grape tomatoes, with black and spanish olives as a side with my sea scallops tonight.  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)