Duplicating Hubs on Someone Else's Blog

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)
  1. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 11 years ago

Another HubPages writer has just asked me for permission to post some of my hubs on his website, while crediting me. He's already posted one hub without my knowledge, and has added a photo that I didn't use in my hub. I appreciate his email  - although I would have liked to have received if before he posted one of my hubs - but isn't he duplicating my content, which is against HubPages policies? I wanted to check here before I reply to him.

2. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 11 years ago

Duplicated content used HERE is against HubPages' policies.  Duplicated content used ELSEWHERE just happens to be against Google's policies.  (Don't they teach this stuff in the Apprentice program?)

I'd recommending filing a Notice of Infringement with the guy who used your stuff, and ask him to take down your content entirely.

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Duplicate content is not against Google's policies:

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bi … swer=66359

The SERPs will usually hide duplicates though.

Sites like Constant - content allow multiple people to 'buy' use of articles - similar happens on sites like ezinearticles

1. livewithrichard profile image72
        livewithrichardposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ding, ding, ding... this is the correct answer... You can allow someone to post your content on their site as long as they link back to the original.  Doing this will show Google, and other crawlers, that you published first, yours is the one to index.  Of course if you allow the other site to make significant changes then those changes can have an adverse affect for you and possibly show the copied content ahead of yours.

Directly from the the link provided by SimeyC:

Syndicate carefully: If you syndicate your content on other sites, Google will always show the version we think is most appropriate for users in each given search, which may or may not be the version you'd prefer. However, it is helpful to ensure that each site on which your content is syndicated includes a link back to your original article. You can also ask those who use your syndicated material to use the noindex meta tag to prevent search engines from indexing their version of the content

You are still going to end up with that copyright symbol on your 'My Account' page but you can choose to ingore it if you wish... or you can pursue the removal through a DMCA notice.

2. AliciaC profile image93
      AliciaCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is the first time that this has happened to me (that I know of) in my time at HubPages, Relache, and is a new situation for me. I am aware that duplication of hubs is unacceptable to HubPages, but not to Google, although as SimeyC says it may affect the position of the hubs in the SERPs. I simply wanted confirmation from the community - perhaps naively - that my feeling that the publishing of my hubs on someone else's blog  - even with a detailed credit - is wrong before I took action. I appreciate the feedback that people are giving.

3. Horatio Plot profile image75
      Horatio Plotposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ease up relache, the girl's just asking the community for advice.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Yes he is duplicating your hub which will eventually lead to it being unpublished via the automated filter--unless they somehow make an exception for you.  In my experience Hubstaff do not draw much distinction when it comes to who copied who.  I would suggest letting him know this so he can't fool himself that he is doing you a favor.

4. The mind man profile image60
    The mind manposted 11 years ago

Let him publish a portion of it and post a link to your site to read the full article

5. Nesbyte profile image77
    Nesbyteposted 11 years ago

It's duplicate content I'm afraid - HP doesn't want anything that's on Hubpages to be on any other website. You can't even publish your own hubs elsewhere on the web without unpublishing them first.

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not quite true - while HP would like to have exclusive rights to your work, all they can do is insist that it is first published here - they cannot stop you replicating the article any where else.

1. Anti-Valentine profile image74
        Anti-Valentineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Technically correct. You do own the rights to your content supposedly.

6. Healthy Pursuits profile image78
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years ago

Did the guy ask to actually post your whole hub? Or did he ask to post a link? If he asked to post a link that would be nice. If he asked to post the actual hub, that's actionable.

7. Horatio Plot profile image75
    Horatio Plotposted 11 years ago

Alicia, you should read this:
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Mode … te-Content
    It makes it quite clear that it will be treated as duplicate content and your Hub will be unpublished.
    Healthy Pursuits has a good point though, if it's just a link then it's OK. Check with the Hubber in question.
    If you still feel uncertain, post the same question to the mentors on your Apptenticeship forum for your mentors.
    Good luck.

8. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 11 years ago

Thank you very much for your suggestions and support, everyone. I just emailed the hubber in question and he immediately removed my hub from his website and sent me an email saying that he wouldn't publish any more.

1. profile image0
      summerberrieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe you can offer your services as a guest blogger for a link back to your hubpage profile. He seems to like your content.

I also like the idea in the earlier thread to allow him to post a little from your hub and include a link to read the rest.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)