Why don't titles show up in Google???

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (23 posts)
  1. BruceDPrice profile image71
    BruceDPriceposted 11 years ago

Topic: Why don't titles show  up in Google???

For example, here's a good title, posted on Oct. 5; "Why American Kids Can't Do Math"

Not found in Google. Why not?

Many of my articles, on other sites, appear next day or in a few days. I'm not in a hurry. But hubpages places a lot of restrictions on articles for seo purposes.  Article must be only on hugpages. But what is point if hubpages doesn't make sure titles are out there.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Have you checked it is not "idle"?

2. SmartAndFun profile image93
      SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

On your profile page it says that "Why American Kids Can't Do Math" was published two days ago. If that is true, then it probably has not yet had time to both come out of pending and get indexed. by Google. Are you sure it was published on the 15th?

BruceDPriceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Published on 5th, not 15th.
        May have made some small change later. Does that start the process all over again???

1. SmartAndFun profile image93
          SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, the 5th, not the 15th. And I was mistaken; when it says published 2 days ago, apparently that is the date it was last updated, not its origanal publish date. My mistake.

As far as the process starting all over again when you make updates or changes, I do not believe this is the case unless the hub is still in its original pending period, before HP unleashes upon the search engines.

However, there are so many recent changes and new litle rules to follow and policies to try and remember, I am probably -- once again -- advising you incorrectly. I need to quit giving advice around here, LOL.

3. janderson99 profile image55
      janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

@Bruce, Your hub is not 'idle'
      When you search for a title always add 'hubpages' at the end - your article may be on page 10 or worse for a general search.
      The other way to check if the page is indexed is to search for
      cache:"URL of your article"
      It appears your page is not indexed yet.  HP 'pending'  causes delays if the bot crawls while it it pending - It may take days or weeks to come back!

2. Novel Treasure profile image88
    Novel Treasureposted 11 years ago

You can add the url using Google Webmaster Tools so it will be crawled quicker.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I keep seeing this "Google Webmaster Tools" mentioned, but I have no clue what it is, where to find it, or how to use it.  .... 
      Will using this tool pull a hub out of 'idle'?

3. Rain Defence profile image79
    Rain Defenceposted 11 years ago

Dizzylizzy, type Webmaster tools into google. Click link. You'll find out about it.

4. Greekgeek profile image77
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

Yes, it does. HP resets the "Pending" clock for another 24 hours if you edit a Pending hub. At least, it's supposed to be just 24 hours, although I found it actually took 3 days for "Pending" status to come off of one of my hubs after I stopped tweaking it.

When hubs are pending, they have a "noindex" tag embedded in their source code. This noindex tag commands search engines not to index the hub or display it in their search results.

Hubpages is trying to keep searchbots from seeing the "noindex" tag by hiding new hubs from our profiles, but it's not working: if you Tweet a hub or share it anywhere, searchbots find it. Even if you don't, searchbots are talented at discovering hard-to-find content. So it's possible they'll see the noindex tag during the "pending" period, and then it's anybody's guess when they'll return to check that page and see if its status has changed.

This "Pending" / noindex policy is new on Hubpages; it started around September 20.

I posted a new hub on September 21. It was not crawled by Google until October 7. Prior to Hubpages implementing the "Pending" status, my new hubs were crawled in less than an hour and generally saw search traffic within a few hours.

I posted another new hub on October 11. It's still not been indexed by Google.  Since October 11, I've published 4 articles on Wizzley, 3 on Zujava, and 1 on Squidoo that I posted yesterday. All have been indexed, all have gotten search traffic, and the Wizzley articles have already deposited a few pennies in my Adsense tally.

However, other people have reported their new hubs getting search traffic since the "Pending" status was implemented, so apparently it's not impacting every hub the same way. My guess is that they're getting lucky and getting those hubs out of Pending status before a seachbot comes by and spots the noindex tag.

1. janderson99 profile image55
      janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The new tool http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/105191
      Clearly shows that the bot visits New Pages while Pending.
      I suspect that this applies to ALL new pages - which are sent to the 'sin bin' as the bot sees the NOINDEX tag. Delays for pages to actually get indexed can be days or weeks. NOT Good!!!

2. BruceDPrice profile image71

So apparently everyone is having these problems.
      Hubpages has two separate jobs here: to make the articles easy to find; and to inform us if we are not doing everything possible to get the best results.

I don't think you can call something Hubpages is doing on purpose a problem, at least from their point of view.

5. meloncauli profile image89
    meloncauliposted 11 years ago

With this problem, do you think it would help to delay adding it to an adsense account whilst in pending mode?

6. DrMark1961 profile image95
    DrMark1961posted 11 years ago

Do you ping your article as soon as it comes out of idle status? I tried to look for it under Google but it did not show up, but when I look at mine that I have pinged (from the same date) they do show up on the search.

7. brakel2 profile image72
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

How long for new articles now without pinging? I have one from two days ago.

8. DrMark1961 profile image95
    DrMark1961posted 11 years ago

I am not sure. I guess it will get listed whenever the Google robot analayzes it. I am not sure how this works, however, as I am just repeating what I have read.

Point is, why are we discussing this?

Why doesn't Hubpages tell us what's best to do?

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hubpages caused this issue by introducing idle hubs.

Ping your hub, that should help get it indexed. Go to pingler.com and put the url in.

If it is pending, pinging it might actually delay it getting indexed by causing the bot to see it is tagged noindex...?

1. IzzyM profile image87

Bruce's hub about Kids that Can't Do Math was published 6 days ago, If it is still in pending mode something is far wrong.

It isn't indexed yet (or wasn't when I checked earlier). He is suffering from what many of us are complaining about.

9. brakel2 profile image72
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

I have changed my title, so URL does not match. Should I still ping it?

1. IzzyM profile image87

Absolutely.

So long as it isn't pending, as Psycheskinner says. If it says it is featured, go ahead and ping it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)