Colin Powell Endorses Obama

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (33 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 11 years ago
    1. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Bravo, more of the steady hand and attitude from the former Secy of State

2. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

When I look at all the threads after the Colin Powell endorsement, I am appalled at such a large number of GOP that said that Colin Powell was supporting Obama just because he is black. The fact that the GOP and conservatives have so many of these types in their ranks is a big reason why I don't vote Republican, period.

So how this man as a General Officer, Head of Joint Chief of Staff and ultimately Secy of State is so transparent as to make such a statement based on whimsical perceptions that the very people making such.
      accusations personify themselves  is outrageous.

So since Romney is an empty suit that has not really defined how he would improve the economy with the fact that his foreign policy approach mirrors that of the Obama administration combined with the fact that Romney changes positions on a daily basis, I have to say that the only reason the anglo rightwing nut votes for Romney is the "X factor" in the campaign, he is anglo?

Strong medicine to cut through all the nonsense!!!

1. Jillian Barclay profile image73
        Jillian Barclayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Credence2,
        I was not surprised to hear the Republican spin. We are nowhere near post-racial in this country and sadly, I am afraid we will never be. I am ashamed that we cannot, as a nation, grow enough to know that racial prejudice is ludicrous. We are all Americans and until we can accept that, and embrace it, we will never be an "exceptional" nation.

Colin Powell is a good man, period! He is smart, he is thoughtful and I believe that he is just plain, old honest. I have to say, that as a dyed-in-the-wool Dem, I would find it extremely difficult to deny him my vote if he were to run for President. I don't think I could!

2. innersmiff profile image66
    innersmiffposted 11 years ago

I saw a relevent tweet just now:

UPDATE: Colin Powell has endorsed Barack Obama for his foreign policy, just as Mitt Romney did during the third debate.

1. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Haha.

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol
      Looks like your humor went over everyone's head, innersmiff.
      I, for one, appreciate it!
      lol lol
      MM

1. Mighty Mom profile image77

Oops,
        DIdn't see sooner's ha ha.

1. profile image0

That's quite hurtful MM.

I'm sorry. I did not intend to offend.
            Let me clarify (and hopefully not make it worse).

When I posted that it appeared innersmiff's admittedly rare display of humor seemed to have gone right by everyone... I had not seen your response to innersmiff's joke.
            As soon as I did see what you'd written I sought to correct my incorrect assertion.

Please accept my apology for rushing past your post to an obviously incorrect judgment on other hubbers '-- including yours -- response.
            MM

1. profile image0

Lol.  I was just playing with you!  I wasn't upset at all.  Don't worry about it.

Whew! That's a relief. smile
                Sensitivities are running high these days.
                We also seem to be down a few soldiers -- "usual suspects" on both sides.
                Wonder if flaring tempers have gotten some folks sent to the corner without supper.

1. profile image0

Eh, I think it's been a rehash for so long people are getting frustrated.

Another Republican says something misogynistic, and Romney continues blaming Obama for everything wrong with the world.  What's really new there? :p

1. Josak profile image59
                    Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's about the size of it tongue

2. Mighty Mom profile image77

How about fundraiser tonight in Texas featuring Dick Cheney and Beckles the Clown?
                    That's novel.

3. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 11 years ago

I raise, one seriously smart and impressive woman, big football fan too!
    5 months ago, former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice endorsed Mitt Romney as Commander in Chief.

1. tammybarnette profile image60
      tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Big surprise, she worked for Bush...the rest of W's Advisors are now Romney's Advisors...and she is Republican...

1. readytoescape profile image60
        readytoescapeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Another noteworthy endorsement for Obama ……Honey Boo Boo

http://www.usatoday.com/story/entertain … a/1638513/

lol Common folk love him, for sure....He actually won in an election of school age children, interesting, the future of America wants Obama for POTUS....

1. readytoescape profile image60
            readytoescapeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You have got to have a sense of humor for this campaign season, I'm sure she and the family are representative of the Obama base.

So true, we do need a sense of humor, but I tell you what, I have a lot more respect for the honey boo families(middle class, or poor trying to make it) than the Koch brothers of the world...just my two cents smile

4. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Text from this link about Powell's endorsement.  He also crossed party lines in 2008 endorsing Obama.
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 … ama-again/

"The Republican said he believes the economy is "starting to pick up" and attributed the recovery to the president's polices, citing specifically the auto industry bailout and Obama's economic proposals. "Generally we've come out of the dive and we're starting to gain altitude," he said.

Powell added he was "uncomfortable" with Mitt Romney's tax plans and views on foreign policy. Pointing to Monday night's final presidential debate, Powell argued the GOP nominee had changed his positions on the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. The former secretary of state said he was concerned with the advice Romney was getting from campaign staff members.

"I think there are some very, very strong neo-conservative views that are presented by the governor that I have some trouble with," Powell said, though he did not elaborate on which views.

"I also saw the president get us out of one war, start to get us out of a second war and did not get us into any new wars," he said.

Powell added he was pleased with the Obama administration's views on climate change, health care, immigration and education. As for the rising federal debt, he faulted Congress for failing to reach a "grand bargain" on a deficit-reduction plan.

"This is work the Congress is supposed to be doing," he said. "Why can't they up on the Hill start talking to one another, reach across the aisle? But it will take great presidential leadership."

Asked if he was still a Republican, Powell said he still claimed the GOP as his political home. "Yes I think I'm a Republican of a more moderate mold, and that's something of a dying breed, I'm sorry to say."

Update: Speaking to reporters on a press charter Thursday, White House communications director Dan Pfeiffer said the president did not have a "heads up" about Powell's endorsement. "

Powell is well respected.

Wow, what a beautiful and glowing endorsement from such a dignified and respectable man. I always believed he would be POTUS one day. Thank you for sharing smile

5. Helena Ricketts profile image92
    Helena Rickettsposted 11 years ago

Unfortunately I think more people would be interested in knowing who Oprah is endorsing.  Sad, but true.

6. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 11 years ago

This doesn't affect my vote at all; however, it is interesting that Powell endorsed Obama in both 2008 and 2012.

7. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

As soon as I saw the endorsment on TV today I knew the right would dismiss it as one black endorsing another black.

Wake up people.
    This "big change" Romney is now talking about is a big hint.
    He has no intention of staying Moderate Mitt if elected president.
    He is as neocon as his 17 Bush foreign policy advisors.
    He is as anti-woman as his VP and the only senator he endorsed (Mourdock).
    I could go on regarding taxes, jobs, social programs, health care reform.

If we are stupid enough to fall for his slick salesman shtick,there will be one helluva big shock for many Americans when he takes our country back to the 1950s.
    roll

1. profile image0

A Romney surrogate already said it!

8. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 11 years ago

See you keep trying to make it serious… Okay I’ll bite. How about all of the Blue Star military families, Foreign Service members and Families, Veterans and others that are a beginning to find out the Obama Administration issued multiple “stand down” orders to operational units that could have provided support and perhaps even saved the lives of our ambassador and those under attack in Libya. Wonder what they’re thinking.

If these reports are true, as the head of Blue Star Family with 2 sons and a daughter-in-law serving, I’m appalled that this Commander in Chief abandoned a unit under fire and that he sacrificed their lives for nothing more than the political expedience of election politics.

I am even more disgusted as a I remeber this President standing next to those coffins telling the world about a bogus video and a nonexistant angry crowd. 

Note to Tammy: Ire Not Directed at You.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

One thing I bet is that those families are sick of being used to score political brownie points using points that may or may not be true.

2. profile image0

Yes that makes sense.

Obama ordered "operational units" to stand down because risking our American ambassador being killed would not hurt him politically at all, and would actually help him!...............

I know you heard it on Fox.  Fox is the one who used the language of "stand down."  It would be more intellectually honest if you at least cited that much to begin with.

Secondly, like I pointed out, even if there were stand down orders, your speculation about the motivation of the Obama administration is absurd.  You have no clue about what information they had at the time the attack was going on, or why they would not intervene.

Perhaps it would be prudent to wait a little longer and see what we can learn?

9. Repairguy47 profile image59
    Repairguy47posted 11 years ago

Wow, Colin Powell endorsed obama, woo hoo. That should net two more votes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)