Hurricane Sandy

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

I hope hubbers are staying aware of this massive storm today...I have family on the east coast and am worried as the waters are rising already before the storm hits.

1. GiblinGirl profile image72
      GiblinGirlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My husband and I are here in central Jersey riding things out.  We're actually just outside of the "cone" of the storm's eye so we haven't been evacuated but the winds are already getting gusty.  I think this will be worse than Hurricane Irene, which actually occurred on the very weekend my husband and I were married - we clearly don't have the best of luck with weather.

2. heavenleigh707 profile image72
      heavenleigh707posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Much love and many prayers for your safety!

3. Quilligrapher profile image73
      Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey Stacie, How are you doing?

I am sitting here on Long Island listening to the wind begin to howl outside my window. It looks like I will be on the northern fringe of Sandy. Gusts out of the Northeast are expected to exceed 90 mph by nightfall. Water surges could be 6 to 10 feet high along the north and south shores. It’s a good day to hunker down and stay dry.
      Q.

1. Stacie L profile image89
        Stacie Lposted 11 years agoin reply to this

hello Q;
        Hope you are ready to seek shelter if needed.
        I was there for Hurricane Gloria on the south shore where the eye came in...no fun at all!
        My family lives on the south shore of Suffolk and I have called but have to wait and see.
        My present location of Kentucky is experiencing the winds and snow on the higher mountain tops in the east. A very big storm indeed!
        sad

2. profile image0
        The Longhunterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Quill, I sincerely hope and pray you and yours are safe and sound during the storm. Good luck and Godspeed.

3. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Keep well and safe, Quill. I've been watching the news, this is a horrible event. I feel so sorry for those families who have lost loved ones.

2. ESPeck1919 profile image86
    ESPeck1919posted 11 years ago

The majority of my family and friends are in NY, so I'm pretty worried, too.

Genuinely hoping for the best for everyone affected.

3. glendoncaba profile image73
    glendoncabaposted 11 years ago

Put up hurricane shutters if you are in path of storm.  Purchase candles and dried food.  Secure documents and electronic devices. 
    Move to higher ground if you are in low lying flood prone zones.
    Listen to bulletins from your emergency management agencies.
    See to elderly and infirm.

And when you have done all...Hunker down ... and pray.

4. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

Take Care up there you guys!

Thinking of you down here in Middle Earth..  smile

1. Scribenet profile image61
      Scribenetposted 11 years ago

We will experience some of the effects here in Ontario, but not nearly as severe as the coast of US. My thoughts are with everyone just about to experience this huge storm...take care...please find safe shelter to ride it out.

2. Dame Scribe profile image57
      Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

I hope all are safe once the storm hits yikes I've been reading and keeping up. Awful time of the year for such a storm too.

3. profile image0
      Justsilvieposted 11 years ago

I hope everyone gets through this safe and as fast as possible. My children live in Virginia and near the beach, so I am tuned into the weather channel.

4. profile image0
      summerberrieposted 11 years ago

Stay safe and warm. Sending prayers and thoughts your way.

5. Stacie L profile image89
      Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

Looks like the worst is over .My family had a large branch fall on the house and no flooding so they feel lucky. They don't have electric yet. I wonder how Q is doing?

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60

At least they're unharmed, Stacie. This is clearly not the best situation they find themselves in, though. I saw Obama on the news and he seemed to be trying to reinforce that it's not over yet, for some people that is. I sincerely hope that Quill is safe and well.

1. Quilligrapher profile image73
          Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello, World. I’m back.

Thank you, Stacie and Hollie, for your concern. Living closer to the middle of LI, I survived Sandy without loosing electricity although a majority of LI residents were not as lucky. Of the original 950,000 residents who lost power, 185,000 are still without service. I was without cable TV and Internet service for 9 days and managed to survive that too.

Areas along the south shore of LI were devastated by the wind and flooding including large residential tracts close to me in Babylon and Lindenhurst townships, and to a greater degree, the City of Long Beach built on a barrier island facing the Atlantic Ocean.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT3f8C_6 … re=related

I lived through Hurricane Gloria in 1985 and now Sandy in 2012.  I hope to be here when the next big one comes along in 25 years or so. big_smile

I thank you both for thinking of me.
          Q.

smile

6. GinnyLee profile image87
      GinnyLeeposted 11 years ago

We lost power for about 20 hours, but no major damage.  We live just to the west of DC.

There are tons of trees down in the area and the low lying areas of Manassas Battlefield looked like a raging river.  It was amazing!

It got down to the lower 40's last night, but we bundled up in blankets and made it through just fine.  It was pretty loud, though.

I'm so glad you're safe, Ginny. It must be really frightening. We have storms and floods in the UK but not on this level, I just can't imagine what it is like. I suppose being involved in the HP forums has brought the event home. I know that people I've conversed with, albeit online, are affected by this terrible storm. X

7. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

My heart goes out to all those who have been affected by this dangerous storm.  So sad to see the devastation and damage.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)