The Ever Elusive Subject

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

The subject of unconditional love is quite an elusive one.    It has been stated that parents and significant others are  supposed to accept and love us unconditionally.   This is what good and loving parents and significant others do......... 

Well,  in actuality and reality, parents and significant others in our iives oftentimes give us conditional love i.e. they will love and accept us if we adopt certain actions and behaviors which are pleasing to their particular construct.  The concept of unconditional love only exists for the envolved, enlightened few who actually practice unconditional acceptance, love, and respect.     What is YOUR  take on this premise?

1. EsmeSanBona profile image94
      EsmeSanBonaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is one of my favorite topics to ponder and I've pondered it for years.

I think the first place to start is by defining unconditional love and what it actually means.  Does it mean that if my partner beats me I am meant to allow that because I love him?  Does holding people accountable for bad behaviour and imposing sanctions on that behaviour mean that person is not loved?

Or maybe it isn't so much that unconditional love is what needs defining but its expression.  How does one ever know what another feels? 

And what is love to begin with?  Is it that feeling I have in my heart or is it something else?  Does love require an object in order to love?  Is that why Cupid is depicted with an arrow--because without a target, there is no love?  And why must one be "loved back" for love to exist?

And I believe you are absolutely correct, people are rarely viewed as the individuals they are.  Usually, while we are over here being who we are, thinking that we we're presenting is what's being seen, the reality is that we are being filtered and processed for the identification of those parts of us match the image of us in the head of the other person--we aren't actually being seen at all, we are simply screens for the reception of another person's imaginary projection--the projection is what is being loved unconditionally, not the actual person who exists outside that projection.

I read a lot of Jungian psychology and this phenomenon is cover in depth  in his work and I have worked a lot of personal issues out with the aid of that work. 

But I still know very little about your question because to me, what is typically identified as lvoe is simply an emotional addiction.  From where does the concept of unconditional love come?  Is it perhaps a spiritual concept originating with the Divine, (forgive me for interjecting God if you are not a believer--I'm not trying to turn this into a religious debate) and if so, perhaps only the Divine can actually express or comprehend it?

gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Esme,  I was not addressing abhorrent, egregious and disrespectiful behaviors that no one, not even parents nor significant others, should EVER tolerate whatsoever.   I was discussing family members with differing lifestyles, personalities, and opinions.   

There are some family members who love their children only if their children have the same or similar beliefs as they do e.g. strict religious parents who want their children to be in the same religion as they do or they will be disowned.   Another instance is a father will not accept that his son loves ballet and is not into sports so the father will badger him in order to "make him more of a man" and denigrate the son's natural proclivity in order to "get him in line" so to speak.

2. HattieMattieMae profile image60
        HattieMattieMaeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Esme_ Emotional addiction is not what you call unconditional love. This is the worlds point of view. More like co-dependency. Unconditional love exists. It is just getting past your issues and learning what it is. Your mind has to be very free of all your negative beliefs about love. We have been taught about conditional love in our lives by our cultures, family, and fortunately generations of abusive tendencies, behaviors, and beliefs. It's up to you to remove those obstacles out of your life by doing what you're doing seeking and searching out your answers. You will see the more you know and learn the more power you have to remove yourself from unhealthy environments and find one that is healthier and unconditional in nature. It's finding those teachers and coaches in life to get you there. Jung is one of them. Abusive relationships won't last and they are nothing about love, but two people hurting each other. Hate to say that, but it is truth with no respect for one another.

2. profile image0
      Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The only mammals that are capable of unconditional love are dogs, cats....animals.  Humans are only capable of conditional love, however, as a mother I will and I know other parents who do love their children unconditionally.  Example:  If my son turned into a murderer, I will always love him but I don't have to condone what he did and I don't have to visit him in prison.  Maybe I contradicted myself but studies have been done one this.

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't know that I would say that animals are capable of unconditional love.  Mistreat a dog enough and it will either go insane or turn on the owner.  Mistreat a cat and it will leave the first opportunity or begin to fight back.

Even animal love can be abused to the point it disappears.

3. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's what one would be taught if they grew up in a religious family in which such behaviors are exhibited and learned from the god of the religion.

2. profile image0
    Sunnie Dayposted 11 years ago

I think unconditional love is something we strive for and would love to think we can obtain it. At times we may mirror it but the bottom line is we are not perfect so we really cant have unconditional love all the time, we can only try our best to reach for it. Some are better at showing it than others, depending on the person. I always would like to think that no matter what my family and true friends will have unconditional love for me, even when i put my foot in my mouth or rub them the wrong way, or even take a path that they may not agree with. I also strive to give them the same love. Saying all that... whose to say where that fine line is where someone says no more...we even surprise ourselves what we are able to endure or not.

Sunnie, great and insightful response.

3. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 11 years ago

Love is so much more than an emotion.  The problem with 'unconditional' love is that many people view love as solely emotional.  Emotions are dependent on so many things; our environment, our needs, our desires.  When someone doesn't stimulate us in a positive emotional way, we respond to that emotional stimuli rather than responding with love, which is an act of will. 

Actual love desires the best for its object, regardless of its impact on us.  For example, I wish for the best for my husband regardless of how it affects me.  Of course, that implies that my needs are all met, I have all that my heart desires, and that I live in a safe environment.  If I don't, self-love demands that I do everything that I can to meet those needs for myself before I am capable of wishing them or working toward them for someone else.

Unconditional love is wishing for and working toward the best for others.  That doesn't mean that we always give them what they want, approve of what they do, or turn a blind eye to things that they may say or do that are harmful to others (or themselves).  It means that we do our best to provide for them, when they are in our presence, a safe environment, and do what we can to help meet their healthy needs and desires.

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

That is the very essence of Jungian philosophy.  You have stated it well.  We filter everything through our own set of lenses based on our own perceptions.  The unconditional love isn't unconditional at all, it's very much based on conditions (filters) of how we perceive ourselves, which is then reflected in how we perceive others.  I think, perhaps, it takes acceptance more so than enlightenment.  Plenty of people think they are enlightened! lol   

It's very interesting to read forum posts in this light, especially controversial topics or someone claiming to know more than another.

Thank you rebekahELLE, life is way too short to be contentious towards each other.     There are so many interesting topics to explore and to intelligently discuss.  You are always to stop by and add to the discussion.

5. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

My own personal experience with 100% pure, unadulterated, "unconditional love," is limited to my sons, and their children. (and Using past tense, my mother father and sister, now deceased.)  Period, the end. 
    All others have a significant place in my life and many emotions apply......love, respect, admiration, fondness, loyalty, concern, friendship and many other positive feelings.......just not the utter unconditional love that is explicitly for those I named.......

6. HattieMattieMae profile image60
    HattieMattieMaeposted 11 years ago

gmwilliams- Fortunately your correct, enlightened evolved beings do it more than the average  person. It's our job as teachers to teach what it is...why i believe where ever I go it is teaching others to love unconditionally. I think we have a lot of people out there right now teaching it, and those that choose to learn and grow will take the lessons and learn to change this world and move it forward. The old ways are no longer working, manipulation, control, and abuse. Unconditional love does none of these things or dwell in addictions. It's not an easy path of unconditional love and we're like Gold to those that want to knock us down. I've got my battles of others trying to stop me from being a writer, and teacher. It's hard and not always easy. Unconditional love is important in our lives to succeed who ever we are no matter where are in life. It' heals the heart and soul. It heals families, friends, and makes better co-workers on the job. It's only elusive if you allow it to escape from your life and not keep your focus and eyes on it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)