God

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (298 posts)
  1. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Do you believe that most Americans believe there is a God. In the Philippines it is said that 95% of the people believe in (Jehovah) God.

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hard to believe, as very few actually make a real effort to follow the teachings of any God.

Given that most will decide for themselves what any God actually wants, even so few make any concerted effort to follow His desires.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.000.

2. profile image0
        brotheryochananposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I really dislike any blanket statements like this... Are you 100% true blue american? Do you do anything 100%. Why do people think that in order to follow God people have to do things 100%. This misses the entire purpose of Grace. We are allowed to make mistakes we are allowed to f_up, we are allowed to grow slow or fast. We are allowed to experience God as we are capable of.
        Why put a stumblingblock of 100%, allow yourself time to grow in God and time for God to work out tough areas of the changing life.
        I'd like to know where you got your statistics from.. or are you just guessing from your own hardened position and just couldn't wait to tell others what you think.
        To summarize, there may be areas of difficulty in the christian life, and some may even give up, but we can't judge whether people are in God or out of God or following or not until they are dead and then their position is for God to decide.
        Too many judges too little understanding.
        Not everybody faces the same obstacles, not all go through the same training program. You impute law when you decide to judge and law is not what Christ is all about.

2. bBerean profile image61
      bBereanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

According to all polls I am aware of the vast majority do believe in God... but in many ways you wouldn't know it since those who don't have been increasingly vocal.  Add to that the fact that the small percent who don't are significantly over represented in academia and entertainment, providing bully pulpits for their agenda.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What happened to all those churches? Did they pull them all down? LAWL lol lol

Academia certainly does tend to not appeal to believers. That requires actual facts and thoughts. Is it 95% atheist in the sciences now?

1. bBerean profile image61

Actually it seems to be more about ego, so it is common in academics and the entertainment industry where egos are huge.  I suspect it is prevalent in politics too, but politicians know they won't get elected that way in the US,...at least not yet...so they pretty much all claim to be Christians.

Right - Academics - ego. Scientists - ego. Fox News - ego (oh wait!) Beleebers - humble and quiet. lol lol

Yes actually.  Unfortunately most are far too humble and quiet.  That is why the polls show 90% or more believe in god in some form, but it doesn't seem that way...most stay quiet.  They can't imagine the attacks from those who don't believe will get traction, but as long as they remain silent it will continue.  As for the ego part, I meant to mention I like your new avatar.  Seems appropriate and telling.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
                Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've been wondering about the new avatar too. I've even zoomed in on Mark's profile too see if he'd photoshopped with and image of himself. lol

I was reading in the bible about somebody who wanted to be God.  Hmmm.  Who was that?  Perhaps the church lady will know.   Could it be.....

2. profile image0

Believers do not have a duty to stand on street corners and harass passers by. Believers do not have to write books or make religious movies or knock on doors or even be in forums. As we notice in the bible, there were many people around but only certain ones were told the good news, or healed or picked as disciples. Gods message is really, "Change yourself first and the world around you will change. Your personal world, will then change others.
              The work of spirit is to go to those you are sent to, a pattern seen in the bible. A work of flesh grabs a bullhorn and deafens people.

2. getitrite profile image72
        getitriteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The fact that the people with the higher IQs have almost unanimously dismissed religion as nonsense should tell you that something is suspect about your beliefs. 

Of course you are free to keep taking your prompts from the least intelligent people in society.

1. habee profile image92
          habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There are some very intelligent people who believe in God.

Yes, including most of those responsible for the very foundation of science...before the religions of scientism began wishfully claiming science as theirs.

Since they are in the minority, they are not the rule. There are always exceptions.

Most intelligent people know when something doesn't make sense.  That includes intelligent believers.  But when it comes to religion, it is a matter of emotive thinking, which involves strong emotional ties, such as parents, country, friends, etc.  Clearly, educated people who believe in nonsense are not being reasonable...Instead of objective analysis, they succumb to emotional rationalization.

A very intelligent man wants to see his dead sibling again so badly, that he can't fathom that there is no evidence of an after life.  When confronted with facts, the cognitive dissonance develops, but his emotions want let him think this through...critically.

1. profile image0
              Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually, it is the presence of intelligence that leads to belief. There are no temples built by tunafish.

Plus, this tendency atheists have on Hub Pages to claim that 95% of scientists are atheists is troubling. I would like to know where they come up with that number (out of their hats, I fear). The last study I read said that 75% of scientists surveyed believe in a higher power. That's a far cry from 95% that don't believe.

1. JMcFarland profile image70
                JMcFarlandposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think that 95% is a little high, myself.  It also depends on what branch of science.  A lot of studies have been done, I'll link to two and then provide a paraphrase that I found.

http://phys.org/news102700045.html

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/sci_relig.htm

The first one says that 52% of scientists have no religious affiliation, compared to 14% of the general public. ("No religious affiliation" isn't exactly the same as being an atheist.) This survey questioned scientists at "elite research universities."

The second one surveyed "greater" scientists (defined as those belonging to the National Academy of Sciences). It found that 65% of biological scientists expressed a "disbelief in a personal God", and 79% of physical scientists. Most of the others were agnostics. Only 7% expressed a "belief in a personal God."

1. profile image0

That, I get. To be honest, I don't see where it matters what anyone else believes. Why do atheists tend to want to herd agnostics into their ranks and pretend that one equates to the other?? It somewhat frets me.

I'm an atheist, and I don't want to herd any agnostics into anything.  I think you're lumping us all in under one banner. 

To be fair, however, i've come under fire from several agnostics because I'm an agnostic atheist.  The disagreements go both ways.

2. profile image0

When it comes to science the area of study is totally important. Some study sciences that lead to creation, physicists etc. Others study plant life or medicine or some just do research in a lab not having much depth to their pursuits. A chemist for example may not find much to indicate a higher power but a physicist might. One who studies the cosmos will certainly encounter God data.
                  Science has a mandate to eliminate the God hypothesis from their research. I have an ariticle on my wall from my small unimportant town, an article, by david suzuki, in which the title reads, "Scientists must be free to speak about knowledge that is good for society". Is there a repression of information to the common masses. Yes and we know this to be true. We are fed information that the mucky mucks want us to know. Newspapers promote certain angles, advertisements purport falsities to make their product sell.
                  Galileo said "science leads you to understand how the heavens work but the bible leads you to heaven".
                  The bible does make certain positive assertions as to scientific facts. In th beginning God created. A pretty ballsy statement, from a truthful God.
                  Does science stop where God takes over. I believe yes.
                  Will an intelligent person refute a snake in the garden of eden i believe yes but that does not mean they are too smart, it just means they haven't figured it out yet, inspite of their diplomas.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
                    A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is entirely false. No gods have ever been found in the cosmos by scientists, ever.

Again, entirely false, science is a process for understanding the world around us and does not have a mandate.

Then, please enlighten us all about the reality of talking snakes. lol

2. JMcFarland profile image70

The Bible also makes some very untrue scientific statementlike the fact that bats are birds, or that the earth has four corners or that good made the sin stand still (since, ya know, the sun always stands still , its the earth that moves).  You'd think an all knowing good soul I dunno, know that.

2. profile image55
          whoisitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The una-bomber was very intelligent, where is he?

3. JMcFarland profile image70

what "agenda"?  There's supposedly a gay agenda, a liberal agenda, and now an atheist agenda.  Where were all these agendas published, because I apparently missed out on the mailing list, and I'd be interested in knowing what I'm supposed to do.

3. Jamie Brock profile image91
      Jamie Brockposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I had never thought about it... that is interesting. I know there are many names for the Power that has  manifested in my life.

4. A Troubled Man profile image59

"The Philippines ranks a poor seventh among nine Southeast Asian nations in the area of education and innovation...

In all categories, the Philippines was falling behind Singapore, Brunei, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand and Vietnam."

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/business/06/ … anked-poor

"University of the Philippines, the country’s national university, dropped 16 notches in rank to number 348 in the Quacquarelli Symonds' (QS) ranking of the top 600 universities and higher education institutions in the world.

Philippine schools do not even rank in the top 500 of another list, the Academic Ranking of World Universities, or in the top 200 of its lists by subject."

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/27 … in-country

1. profile image0
        JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

What does this have to do with their belief in God?

Studies indicate trends of higher religious beliefs in demographics with lower education.

1. profile image0

You are right. The more education someone has, they try to out think there is a God. It interferes with their intellectual ego.

Not sure that what is being interfered with but I agree - education is not a good thing for religious beliefs in majick.

2. A Troubled Man profile image59

And, that is a very good thing, because we wouldn't want uneducated people going around with inflated egos.

However, your statement really doesn't make sense. Let me demonstrate the flaw in it.

"The ego separates out what is real. It helps us to organize our thoughts and make sense of them and the world around us. "The ego is that part of the id which has been modified by the direct influence of the external world.... The ego represents what may be called reason and common sense."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id,_ego_and_super-ego#Ego

With that definition in mind, education would be first and foremost in supporting the intellectual ego and would not interfere with it at all, quite the contrary. A lack of education would not support the ego with it's attempts "to make sense of the world around us".

And of course, people with an education don't bother trying to "out think there is a God", they simply need observe the uneducated believers making fools of themselves as they attempt "to make sense of the world around us" using fairy tales and myths, instead.

It would be hilarious entertainment if it wasn't shown to be so dangerous.

1. profile image0

I'm sorry, but I find your statement to be completely bizarre.

And, I completely understand why you would. That's the point, entirely. smile

1. profile image0

Not because it makes any sense what so ever. Because it is mere jibberish.

2. profile image0
                  oceansiderposted 11 years agoin reply to this

J, my friend, yes, I completely agree with what you have said:
                  Truly bizarre with a capital B!....and oh yes, quite the jibberish, I agree!!!
                  I would say that certainly there is no sense at all to what "a troubled man" has stated.

3. getitrite profile image72

Yep.  There is no way that all of the modern day scientists and academics, on the cutting edge of 21st century technology, can know more than primitive, Bronze Age, savage goat herders.  Makes perfect sense.

I hope you rethink this.

1. profile image0

getitrite, you certainly gotitwrong!

2. profile image0

Modern day scientists will know more about science. But the primitive goatherder did some things that scientists will not do nor believe. Intelligence is a stumblingblock to some people. But then i know people who are overly intelligent and they can't hold a job. There are people with diplomas working at 7-11 ( a popular corner convenience store). Intelligence if you want to hold it high like some perfect standard is rather egotistical. Intelligence is indeed, a two edged sword.

That would be a belief held by those who avoid intelligence at all costs.

1. profile image0

Intelligence takes on many forms. Your definition of intelligence is based upon your own preferences.
                    Some think being wise is better than intelligence.
                    Of course your idea of wisdom is based on your preferences also.
                    I see little intelligence in your posts or wisdom.
                    Hows your health these days?

Intelligence is still a two edged sword

5. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, an overwhelming majority of Americans believe in God and according to the latest studies, over 80% belong to a religious denomination.   However, there are those who profess no religion, the Nones, even though they do believe in God, Higher Power, or a Higher Self.

6. profile image0
      Lybrahposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They should believe in God. God is real

1. profile image0

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

according to you.  Who are you?

1. profile image0

Someone who believes in God

good - then you should be able to prove that your god exists.

7. profile image52
      johmga26ssnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your information

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Never heard of him.

3. profile image0

There are a few answers that peak my attention. First, In someone's life at sometime they have to have heard in God. Excepting him is a different story. Also those who do believe I think cowar to the masses afraid of chastisement and being bullied by non-believers. From a personal standpoint, I can rest assured there is a God and I will be in his presence in Heaven one day. I hope you decide to follow suit. God bless all!

1. getitrite profile image72

No, I think that believers are afraid that they will actually be confronted with facts, not bullying.  Your faith in Bronze Age mythology seems rather silly when confronted with facts.

Why wish this nonsense on others?  Most people can't even stand being in church for more than two hours, yet you think this type of torture, for eternity, would be some kind of paradise?

1. profile image0

getitrite, you keep getting it wrong!.....The nonsense is coming from you...it is not at all about religion....it is solely about one's relationship with their Creator, Jesus Christ our Lord....either you love Him, belong to Him, follow Him and love others with His Love, or you don't....and that is your decision...God loves us too much to force Himself on us....but it you truly want to "get it rite".....if you truly want to live in eternity with God in paradise, and not the "hot place below", then now is the time to get it right, getitrite, before it's too late....you cannot change your mind if you end up down there....either you are for God or you are against Him....that is what He says in the Holy Scriptures....and if I were you, I'd get it right now....because when you find out that we Christians were spot on in our belief in Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior, and if you have already died, it will be too late and it will be such a trajedy!!!....You do not want to end up down there do you?....It is time to get real and "getitrite"
        May God bless you and open your heart and mind to receive His great Love and to know peace even here on earth, before you step into eternity....and make no mistake about it .....we most certainly are eternal beings....God created us in His image....so we are eternal souls, and your soul will either go to God our Maker when we die, or down to the "hot place" .......it is solely your decision....but don't make the wrong one, I urge you....

just say it.  Hell.  You're threatening everyone that does not believe in your silly little god with hell.  This is a sort-of-kind-of overstated version of Pascal's wager, and it's equally as ridiculous.  Do you like to make it sound better by calling it "the hot place"?

If heaven is where the mob-boss murderer bloodthirsty, tyrant god obsessed with the smell of burning flesh lives - I wouldn't worship him for anything in the world or beyond.  Of course, that's baseless, since you can't even prove he exists at all.  You just want to think he does.

What you speak of is superstitious nonsense...and religion is superstitious nonsense, hence, claiming to have a relationship with a creator is delusional and superstitious nonsense.

He won't force himself on me, but he will send me to hell if I don't worship him.  Is there really a difference?

If you would actually READ my posts, then you would know that I don't want to go to your vile version of paradise.  And neither do you.  You are just to indoctrinated to see how ridiculous your childish beliefs are.

I'm not afraid of your stupid God.  He has shown himself to be completely impotent.  If he was worth anything, he surely wouldn't need YOU to speak for him, and deliver empty, silly, childish threats.  What a joke!

"spot on"...now that is complete, and utter lunacy.  I have no fear that your worldview is complete garbage, because it has been proven...through common sense...that your beliefs are only childish fairy tales, and all believers are, thoroughly, brainwashed.  How ridiculous!

Have you heard of Chicken Little?  You should try to learn some valuable morals from that story.  Seriously.

How disturbing that modern day Christians believe such childish absurdity.  Simply disturbing.

1. profile image0

"How disturbing that modern day Christians believe such childish absurdity.  Simply disturbing."

and how about those modern day christians that don't believe in hell or a satan or a talking snake?    Any bonus points for them or shall we just wrap them up in the same category as those that do believe in hell or satan.

Thats kinda disturbing

disagreeing and challenging irrational beliefs is bullying to you?  Seriously?  What is WITH christianity and it's "persecution complex"?  Everytime someone disagrees with you about your god, you cry persecution.  Everyone's out to get you all of the time - yet I seem to recall that the republican, christian right held the majority for quite awhile in recent past - and they did everything they could to limit, forbid or restrict the rights of others that didn't agree with christian morality.  Unless someone is talking about throwing christians to the lions, killing them and torturing them for their religious beliefs, christianity is not being persecuted.

There's a big difference between persecution and scrutiny.  I don't think I'm "attacked" every time someone shoves god in my face.  When you come to forums and you open discussions that are open to everyone, how can you not expect to have conflicting beliefs?  The notion is absurd, really.

1. profile image0

We Christians get upset because we want everyone to be able to be in heaven for eternity with God!....and you know, it is so much easier to just disregard you people who are atheists, but because I am trying my best to emulate Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior, I choose to take the harder route of loving others and testifying about my God....I want others to be able to have the peace and joy I have in the midst of what is going on in this crazy backwards world we are living in...John 3:16 says: "for God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life" ....God doesn't want anyone to perish....and that means that if they do not know Him, they will go to hell (which of course would mean that they perished, because they will be tortured day and night for all eternity, instead of living in paradise with God for eternity...in His Love, His Peace, His Joy, and without any more tears, sadness, illness forever.

I don't want to be in your heaven.  I used to be a christian.  Studying theology and the bible in the original languages made me realize that I can't believe in it - so i became an atheist.  "you christians" like to lump all non-believers into one category, as evidenced by your "you atheists" comments.  There are many kinds of atheists, just like there are many kinds of christians.  you can quote scripture all you want - I can do it too.  The concept of hell alone is enough to prove to me that, if your god exists, he's an immoral tyrant.

Take the following scenario.

If a mob boss walks into your place of business and demands that you pay him a monthly stipend or else he'll kill you, you may feel inclined to oblidge.  If you don't, however, and the mob boss comes back and kills you, just like he said he was - is it your fault?  Did you commit suicide by mob-boss because he shot you in the head?  No!  He killed you.  He is at fault.  He tried to scare you into obedience, without question.  He killed you because you acquired knowledge, and condemned the rest of humanity along with you - oh wait, that was your god.  Eternal torture is insane when you claim it is being done according to the will of your god.

Jesus says 'not all those who say lord, lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven - even if you've prophecied, healed and done miracles in his name.'

Let me give you another scenario.
          Say that your pet gets a shard of glass in their foot.  Do you remove it?  Do you leave it in and watch them suffer because they didn't come when you called to them?  Now say it was your child.  Your child has a shard of glass in their foot.  They're crying out for help.  As you watch, you realize that they've fallen upon a fire-ant hill.  The ants are covering their bodies and they're screaming for help. 

As you watch, you remember that yesterday your child was angry and said "I don't believe you're my parent after all".  You turn away, knowing full well that they're going to die, as the ants start crawling into their open, screaming mouth.  But you say, in passing, leave me - I never knew you.

What parent would do that?  Could you do that?  Could you watch your child suffer an agonizing, horrible death that only lasts for an hour or so? (let alone an eternity, as christians and other self-righteous people sit up in heaven and watch you suffer)  Could you turn away and refuse to help them, although you had the power to?  Chances are high that the answer is no - even the most callous, hardened human being would feel compelled to help a suffering child (most of the time) regardless of whether that child was theirs or not.  You're telling me that your god is worse? 

No one chooses to go to hell - god sends them there, for using the brain that you claim he gave them and asking for evidence that he exists at all.  According to your beliefs: 1) god created hell 2) god created humans 3) god created the rules by which humans are judged.  4) a human being can say "i don't want to go to hell" 5) god will send them there anyway, if they've denied belief in him based on nothing but blind faith.

1. profile image0

The point of annhiliation instead of eternal life is not based upon goodness. A good person has no right to eternal life. A good person has no leverage to live in your house, although you would let them stay there, eternal life does not have that advantage. The decision about who has eternal life and who does not is based upon a different set of standards. Compatibility, being one of them. Closeness being another. A stranger cannot just walk into your house and start watching their program on tv, Just like married people do not stay married for long. Eternal life is far more complicated based on certain criteria for everlastingness one of these criteria seems to be faith.  Goodness is a fruit of the spirit not a qualification for eternal life.
            As to ensuring the safety of a loved one... first we need to evaluate the loved one... some people have been killed for their inheritance money.. you see where i'm going with this. Your daughter falls on an ant hill.. seemingly you both were on a walkabout together as friends committed to a certain path, if you will.. this is not the case with most people who do not believe God exists. Aside from that, God will always help people and we see this is many different forms other than a quick teleportation out of the ant hills path. God helps everyone.. believe in luck? that is God. Believe in destiny? That is God also... Believe in fortune? God. Believe that God feeds the sparrows.. how much more everything else... See moms cancer go away.. God.  See medical advancements? God. See cures.. God (plants are the root of cures). God helps everyone everyday but those in Gods specific or perfect will (those that know him) rarely fall in ant hills.
            Do parents love more than God since parents will pull their children out of an ant hill?  Is something that is specified not generalized. Some parents or friends, acquaintances whatever, won't. Some will. change ant hill for hostile takeover of a company, or an accountant muddling the books... or a child who wants their parents inheritance and poisons just a bit.. go back in history to discover that job advancement was a question of how long the predecessor lived and we see that life in sundry situations is determined by the one who holds the keys to life. In the case of an ant hill, pulling them out. In the case of eternal life, relationship with God or leading them toward eternal life. In the case lol of hell, leading them away from hell.
            Is God available to everyone. YES. Is God hidden? Not really. I found Him, took a while yes. Others found him. In some cases a parent taught their child about Him. Does everyone look up and think,, i wonder where all this came from? You decide the answer to that but i think everyone dabbles in "mysteries". Churches are on all the corners (hyperbole). Do you know about Him? .. apparently.

2. A Troubled Man profile image59

Yes, it's all about what YOU want, not what others want for themselves, so you get upset because you can't get your way and you wind up causing conflict and wars.

Again, it's all about what YOU want. Why can't you just leave others to what they want and go about your life minding your own business instead of causing conflict.

That is not your problem, then. So, keep you beliefs behind closed doors where they belong.

1. profile image0

This is not what the Bible tells us to do. We are to spread the word throughout the world.

And, you will continue to cause conflict and wars as you do so.

Christianity is all over the world already, you can stop now.

1. profile image0

Christianity does not start wars, men do.

Again, another fabrication that completely ignores history and the wars and atrocities caused by Christianity.

1. profile image0

Again, wars caused by men.

2. profile image0
              Deepes Mindposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This statement is very correct. We are supposed to spread the word. The difference is that we are supposed to let people make their own decisions but love them anyway. We aren't supposed to beat them over the head or try to scare them with threats of Hell in order to get them to believe. This is a big part of why people leave the church. The King James and other versions of the bible were created to instill fear and force conversion. It's not surprising that our beliefs get openly mocked and ridiculed

1. profile image0

The king james version rather reflects the hellenized view of hades, an underworld of the dead which is portrayed in dante's inferno. This occurred when the catholic bishops tweaked the bible to reflect their "Universal religion" This is why the apocrypha was included in the catholic bible and still is today. Pagan beliefs were amalgamated to appease all the people and unify religious belief, Constantine was influential in 425ad of this movement.
                When Jesus pointed to gehenna, where criminals were dumped (judas iscariot after hanging himself was thrown there before the morning sacrifice since no dead body was allowed to be in the city) Jesus was not talking about eternal fires, which is eternal punishING. (Bible says punishMENT) He was trying to convey and end, an abolishment, a total consumation by fire (lake of fire) that consumes completely and totally whatever is placed into it. John3:16... should not perish; perish means in the greek, destroy fully,  destroy, destruction, cessation. In contrast, they should not have eternal life but eternal death.
                So to say that the kjb was created to instill fear and force conversion, yes you are right and i agree but i agree for milder reasons.  Demons and evil spirits were a part of pagan beliefs and jewish beliefs also, Hell and satan were personalized during the persia and babylon exiles) but many pagan beliefs (Queen of heaven = mary the sacred heart, ascended to God for example) were included as well.
                The doctrine of hell is a hellish doctrine born out of malice and fruitful in its ability to spread terror and fear.  This, as i have attempted to convey many many many times is a false doctrine. Once we get rid of the doctrine of hell we understand that God is truly a God who loves.
                Some christians don't want to go to hell so they do the right thing and serve God. This is not love and the number one commandment is: Love the Lord your God with all your heart (thoughts) and soul (body).
                Jesus said, "if a person love me they will keep my commandments". Love causes people to respect other peoples feelings, wishes and desires. If i love my wife I sincerely will not mind doing the things she expects of me. Gladly i will do them because i have her best intentions at the forefront of our relationship. When i do things I want to do i have myself at the forefront. A difference is that if i do the things my wife expects because she asks me, having little respect and regard for her then eventually i will fall away from her because doing what she wants is a LAW unto me and not a LOVE for her. Loving her keeps me in her ways as it does with God. A fear of hell will not produce love for God.

1. Jamie Brock profile image91
                  Jamie Brockposted 11 years agoin reply to this

brotheryochanan- I rarely ever say anything in forums with a topic like this one..I just lurk as debate really isn't my thing.. So no debate here, I just have to say it's refreshing to run across another person who believes in God and Jesus but who does not believe in the literal hell.  For a long time it never sat right with me because the love I've experienced from God is a love that tells me He would never harm me. There are some things you know and there are some things you KNOW... if you know what I mean? I don't believe in hell, no lake of fire or any of that. To me,  the closest thing to any hell is living as a human being in this world.  I'm probably not making sense... just wanted to say that and it's just nice to meet someone else who believes in God but doesn't necessarily believe in this "hell" I have always heard about.

1. profile image0

You make perfect sense. The original Greek and Hebrew Bibles don't mention Hell. Hell was introduced in the KJV as a way to scare people to converting. Hell is a combination of Sheol(Hebrew), and Gehenna(Greek). Sheol is the place of the dead and Gehenna is where people were thrown into a lake of fire for their unbelief as punishment. The only lake of fire i can think of is a volcano

2. profile image0

Thank you. As a sister put it to me recently, I stand on the periphery of Christendom.  It is not an easy place to be; an easier place to be would be to just nod and say yes, but my research did not lead me to follow the norms of christianity. Even the atheists and non-believers don't want to suspect that this revelation is true, lol.
                    I am so very glad to hear you have found the same. Onward to love in Him.

3. profile image0

Agreed, in the sciences there is a lot of peer pressure to follow the others. A scientist who says God dunnit will have the same career as those in Pilates day who say God dunnit, short and not unheralded.

1. profile image0

not unhearalded... remove the not lol

4. Team Wiseman profile image79
    Team Wisemanposted 11 years ago

The Bible states that in the latter days people will believe in God but will not acknowledge the Power of God. We must remember that He is Almighty and His Blood is so powerful that just mentioning it makes devils tremble. I have witneses this Great Power and Love is the result of using it. The key is Love! All Praise to Him, The Almighty, The Comforter, Jehova Jirah! Thank you for the great question.

5. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

I think most Americans believe in some sort of "higher power." Unfortunately, many don't act like it.

1. profile image0

All sorts of people believe in higher powers or just powers. Luck for example, is a power that is claimed to bless, by most people. Destiny is another power that guides peoples lives. People believe what they want to believe, usually it is not very demanding and often not researched by themselves. Karma is another belief that north americans will lay claim to even if they are not born hindu; but do they understand the 3 ways of karma? which one do they fully follow? Few practice the correct belief of karma.
      Like most unbelievers in God their ways are made up, picked from here and there, learned by society and adopted because they heard about it, chosen and molded to meet their own internal desires.
      The person who has never been christian stands on the sidewalk afar off and speaks what society or some school book has taught them or adopts what tv says is okay. Belief come from somewhere but who follows truth and the high bar of christianity? People have come to know Christianity because their own personal agenda doesn't interfere with what they are learning about God.
      Some believe their great aunt is magically instructing them about the future and an atheist will proudly speak up, i don't believe in that, as if it is bonus points to their atheism. Christians don't believe in that either but it is not accounted to them for bonus points. With christianity there are no bonus points the world gives us because 'personal agenda' rules completely those who live in what they call, the real world.
      So higher power, lower power, natures power, the power of the dead, power of self, power of astrology, rune sticks, whatever a person wants to believe is adopted to suit what they want to believe. Christianity takes people to the end of their self, puts self on the shelf and changes lives something that x number of people don't really want.

2. OutWest profile image57
      OutWestposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Funny how there is this assumption that if a person believes in God, (a Higher Power, etc.) that they are a better person somehow.  We are all human, good and bad and a belief does not change that.

Not very worthwhile then - is it? I could respect this belief if it actually produced better people. We both agree it does not.

I don't think "assumption," is the right word. Many believers in god claim to have the moral high ground. Or had you not noticed that?

1. profile image0

I haven't read alot on here about having the high moral ground. I actually did a search for moral on this page, I came to the conclusion that is an atheist word.
          I don't claim to have a higher moral ground, morals is one of the areas i don't get to chat about here lol, although of course i'd probably be the last person amongst atheists to keep the money from someone else's wallet that was found on the street - and i'm not just talking about a 100 dollar bill - i'd actually return 10,000 dollars. Can you imagine that, hmmm, maybe you can't.
          Call it an assessment if you will, but really when someone is their own god then really they can do anything they want can't they? And isn't this serving self the whole idea behind not believing? Ya get to say what you want even if it is in absolute quantifiers, or lie about whos in your family tree, ya don't really have to stand up for anything except not believing in anything as a-theists put it sometimes, that needs to be defended; I for one don't buy that concept. Dealing with christians does promote some sort of idea of playing ground, but of course if not having faith in God has produced some sort of paranoia complex that would not be applicable.
          I'd actually respect atheists and non believers if i believed it actually produced better people. We both agree that not believing in anything or God isn't a great indicator.
          And of course if you wish to judge peoples character by what goes on in here, then i'd have to say that would be assumption.
          (i love the way you just plow right in and tell people what they agree with - guess you had some left over ego to hand out, from yesterday huh.) I actually disagree with you, I know many christians that are exemplary people. I have heard and read of many others and i just know, because of the spirit of god working in people that Gods aim is to produce people that are better. I have none of these guarantees in you.
          As to worthwhile... how would you know lol

I just call it as I see it cousin. But - glad you agree with me that believing on god does not seem to produce better people. Which rather makes it worthless - except for the arguments you cause of course. wink

I would know because I can discern these things.

I know many non believers who are exemplary people. Of course you don't respect them - you are too busy studying mathematics and radiometric dating for that huh? lol

1. OutWest profile image57
              OutWestposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think the "reason" to believe is because a person believes that God exists and not to be a better person.

But - does the belief produce a better person?

1. profile image0

In whose eyes? In principle, your question has a lot of merit. But, 'better' is a matter of perception. Don't you think?

Not attempting to be difficult. Most people act in accordance with what they believe others expect (so the belief of the individual is little more than a belief of what another believes), but the 'others' are not necessarily those who are most adversely affected by the beliefs. What appears to be 'better' is little more than an attempt to fit a mold. Beliefs are designed to be in the best interest of the believer and the particular group they want to be an integral part of. And, unfortunately, beliefs are not limited to cosmic questions.

Being willing to believe in the God of the Bible, the God of the Quran or any unseen power is little different from the belief in an unkind rumour; the belief that Dobermains are a dangerous breed; that Hispanics are better blue collar workers. Something, or someone, is always hurt by anyone's beliefs. One may gain, but another always loses.

So, who gets to determine 'better'? The individual, the person veiwing the individual or the group? Because, the individual will almost always decide that their belief is better. (They did spend time and energy arriving at their belief; albeit by accepting their understanding of another's beliefs) The person veiwing will, almost always, decide that their view is the better of the two. (They worked just as hard to hone in on their belief) The group will jockey for position allowing the strongest willed the upper hand and, thus, the right to judge. Yet, the strongest willed is always working under the assumption that they are in the right because they have correctly understood and agree with another person's beliefs. And, we know that might does not make right.

Shouldn't the question be contained to a simple 'Am I a better person'; while working under the assumption that everyone is attempting to be the best they can? Don't we create conflict in ourselves and the world at large by glancing about and wondering why our neighbor hasn't come to the same conclusions we have? Can we be better people if we only believe in the goodness in ourselves and the value of our beliefs and not in others?

The point is, I see our beliefs of the beliefs of others as the problem.

So - you are not capable of determining that a person is "better," than another then? You have never met anyone and thought, "Wow - that is a really great person."?

2. profile image0

y'know being up against the wall like that you are gonna have trouble with your back swing. smile
              Here's the problem with your statement:
              Not very worthwhile then - is it? I could respect this belief if it actually produced better people.

You struck out on two swings.

Lost me. We agree that your (collective) belief in god does not produce better people. Quite the opposite if we choose to look at the historical record. I think you mixed your metaphors. That is the problem with trying to be clever without doing any work.

1. profile image0

I agree that your belief does not allow anyone to be better. I believe that you could walk into a room of better people and not even know it. I believe that you choose to look at whatever you want the way you want for the reasons you want and i believe that what we want are two different things.
                  have a nice day

1. profile image0

Doesn't that describe just about everyone?

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

So - I am not capable of determining "better," but when I look at you and see "worse," am I not correct?

2. profile image0

I can't actually respond to that post because you mentioned God and higher power so i have to break it down. k.
        God deals with changing people and their lives. irrefutable.
        higher power usually doesn't do much, lol.. i mean now you are talking AA with me. An impersonal higher power will always be subject to serpent talk, did the higher power say? well, chances are it did not.
        But God says... a lot of things one of the things that is tantamount is that God wants us to know him and not to be impersonal. You can't love someone you do not know, its impossible. Relationship is what God wants. A higher power is not a relationship. Kinda big difference there.
        So if i deal with the just God issue, then i think many people have to agree that Gods purpose is to change them and their life.. ooops i think i just mooted your post
        have a nice day.

6. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 11 years ago

I think that most Americans do believe in a God/higher authority regardless of any affiliation with an organized religion

7. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 11 years ago

""""disagreeing and challenging ..... irrational ....... beliefs is bullying to you?  Seriously?  What is WITH christianity and it's ......"persecution complex"? """

====================
    ME
    No!  it isn't bullying    unless you would call a continous barage of insults and belittleing as being a bully,    in that case ??    yes I would say "bullying"  IS  the right word

Anybody in the world can point to someone else and say those words.    Too many of us do.  which is what causes all  the conflict in the world.

THANK YOU   FOR   YOUR     COOPERATION

how have I personally insulted you, exactly?  Have I called you names?  Have I said that you as a person are stupid?  I may have said those things about your BELIEFS, but not you, individually.  Therefore, I am not insulting you.  If I am insulting your god, he can always send the fire and brimstone - or lightning, or whatever.  I would still refuse to worship him, even if he did exist.

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Beautiful play on words ......

I didn't say that YOU look funny  ....    I was looking at your shoes and hat

and your tie  .....    and that stupid grinn on your face.

I WASN'T   saying that you personally were funny looking.

I firmly believe that the bible is false - it's immoral, it's horrific and it's terrible.  The fact that you take that personally is not my problem.  The god of the bible is a mob boss that likes to torture his creation like a child would torture an ant with a magnifying glass.  It's ludicrous. 

I'm sorry you take personal offense at that, but honestly, grow up.  I'm insulted all the time.  i'm called a fool, personally, because I don't believe in god.  I'm called immoral and that I'm going to hell. 

Don't you see a difference?  Why do you take it so personally when someone challenges your beliefs, but you have absolutely no problem doing it to anyone else?

I mean, I get that you think you're right - and everything else is wrong.  If you're right, don't you think your god can take care of himself and fight his own battles?  He killed millions personally (or via angel of death, or by divine command, according to your bible) I'm pretty sure that if he exists, he has it covered.

I wasn't talking about you personally and I wasn't complaining

I was simply answering your question.  If you took offense ?     you need to grow up ALSO.

lol I didn't take offense.  When you respond to someone directly, however (as in responding to their post, so it's in quotes) it gives them the impression that you're responding to THEM.  Funny, that.

Yes it is funny how that happens      and the one doing it doesn't even know it

It's a barrel of laffs ain't it.

it is, actually.  Oh look, we agree on something

(albeit snark and sarcasm - you seem to lose your sense of humor the later it gets)

I thought  that you were REvitalizing it.

2. profile image0

To say what you say about the God of the bible is an adopted belief. You have been brainwashed into believing this by others, peer pressure or you haven't done enough thorough and good research and most likely haven't listened when told differently.
            You can read certain passages out of the bible and come to that conclusion but is that conclusion correct? In the example of elijah and the 40 children and the bears, we see a mob situation against one man. We see scorpions of the desert: those with no leader doing what is necessary to survive, in this case we can compare them to modern day thugs, robbers, murderers. Life and death situation for elijah, yep. Did your research tell you this? Or did you quickly turn the page or shut the book and decide, what a mob boss that God is.
            When God took his people out of slavery and moved them out of egypt, lo and behold the nations surrounding egypt were hostile to them, the amalekites thought the old of age and those others who straggled at the back of the procession were "easy pickins". Some denied them access to cross their land to get to where they wanted to go. The promised land was occupied already, where were Gods people to go? Conflict arose, like nations did with others nations. The Hebrews faced having their babies dashed against the rocks and the women split open, facts of wars in an uncivilized world 5,000 yrs ago.
            So my research tells me different than a mob boss, thank God he did bring them out of slavery what a kudos thing to do to the weakest not even a nation of people, just some slaves.. what man made God would care?
            I hope you take the time to listen.

Sorry, but those who actually do research have never found any evidence whatsoever of an Exodus from Egypt as described in the Bible.

I have actually studied the Bible - at a Christian college, no less.  The Bible specifically says that it was a group of children who called Elijah bald, and he cursed them.  He was in no danger, and the passage does not in any way imply that he was.  Read it again, perhaps in HEBREW

How in the world can you say I'm brainwashed.  You're the one who is insisting on rationalizing and justifying the murder of children.

1. profile image0

I am sure you did what you said you did. Since you were at a christian college brainwashing is quite possible. Did they also teach you of a talking snake? Sorry but in my estimation christianity perpetuates its false doctrines by encouraging theologians. Remember you can't be a theologian without answering all the questions correctly. Colleges breed theologians. Those who do not become graduates are drop outs. hmmm.
                In reference to what historians say about hebraic culture ages ago, children were homeless due to war, or just outcast. This left them to struggle on their own, stealing whatever, even to the point of being cast out of the city to survive in the surrounding countryside, which if you have seen pictures is not a wellspring of accommodation, hence they would gather into communities, naturally.
                I am sure you were taught what you were taught but 40 against one does not make a tea party. To call a holy man, bald head is the top of outrages and is not precurser to a tea party.
                You need to do more research.

are you afraid, as a grown man, of a group of children?  Can you not defend yourself or run away?  Can you not call for help?  Elijah's only recourse (note, that he had time to call to god, and was not actually being attacked or beaten, etc) was to CURSE the children in the name of god - who, in turn, sent two bears to slaughter them.

Why did god just not strike them dead?  Why didn't Elijah kill them?  What is the purpose of the bears?

I HAVE done the research and read the story in Hebrew.  What more research is there to do?

Incidentally, I was taught in college that the bible was literal and the true word of god, so YES i was taught about the talking snake, and the talking donkey.  When I became an atheist, I realized that those claims were absurd - just like the rest of the book.

1. profile image0

hmmm well i guess you just blasted your school and your biblical interpretations out of the water. No wonder you left.
                    Since you were taught about a snake and didnt get inspired enough to do serious and thoroughly good research I gotta wonder.
                    Did you read about the talking donkey in hebrew.. then you missed the word translated as talking.. which means hung loose, slack. This is not talking at all, and as your ability allows you to read hebrew you seem to miss the definitions of hebrew. Thats a bit of a tosser huh.
                    The word serpent is a good translation although for a completely different reason, it is the definition for chet which sits as a coiled serpent ready to strike in between nun = life and sheen = teeth chomping. The vowel letters a were added much much later on. Here we have the word in the pictorial language of early hebrew: N(a)ch(a)sh.. the word rendered serpent in genesis 3. Which is also the hebrew/rabbinic idea of the yetzerhara and yetzerhatov natures of humans, ever heard of them.. i doubt it.
                    Stuff your ability to research and have a nice day
                    Incidentally, 40 against one is not good odds except for jackie chan. How you can discredit what i say by insisting that this is not a life and death situation shows me you don't like to be told your wrong, but, your wrong. If it were just an invite to a tea party would righteous elijah just curse them and would bears be necessary.. think man, think.
                    and have a nice day.

2. profile image0

I read BO's response and found one statement you made curious enough to go back to.  When you became an atheist you realized the claims were absurd? That is rather telling, if you meant it that way. Was it after you became an atheist, or was it one of the passages that led you to atheism?

Because, claiming it happened after the fact tends to sound as if you claimed atheism first, and then searched for validation. Shoring up a desire to believe. Because, let's be honest. When cornered, how many intelligent Christians wouldn't, themselves, find that passage ludicrous?

3. profile image0

There's so much of Satan on here...he is the accuser after all... it's just something...I don't believe in Hinduism, but I'm also not on here bashing the Hindu religion, it's believers and getting my panties up in a bunch all over it.  What's with these angry athiests who think they know everything?

this is a forum, where things are discussed.  Why do you think we're angry?  You have no basis to make that claim.  We're not "attacking" anyone.  We're discussing the christian religion, and criticizing something and pointing out flaws does not an attack make.

In my experience, it's only the people who have shaky faith that are afraid of it being challenged.  I don't limit my challenges to christianity.  I am an equal-opportunity challenger - and I can do it all without being angry for one moment.

1. profile image0

All athiests are angry...You're angry at God and you rebel by not believing in Him, and lambasting the religion, calling it absurd.  You rejected it, but I didn't. Have some respect!

why don't you start by having some respect for atheists?  I am not angry at all.  i can't be angry at something I don't think exists.  You're making gigantic assumptions that are based on nothing but your own opinions - and they're just wrong.  I feel sorry for you.  You think that all atheists are angry.  How many do you actually know?  How can you tell me (and every other atheist on this thread) that we're angry?  Do you know my feelings better than I do?  Who are you to tell me what I feel?  I don't have to be angry at something to call it absurd.  I think that unicorns and bigfoot and aliens are absurd too, but I'm not angry at them either.

8. lupine profile image67
    lupineposted 11 years ago

Some just get so worked up on a subject they don't agree about. Don't take it personal...to each his own.

9. tussin profile image56
    tussinposted 11 years ago

Why don't y'all just ask God directly?

http://god.hubpages.com

10. getitrite profile image72
    getitriteposted 11 years ago

Maybe people shouldn't go, blindly, believing what a 2000 year old book, written by ignorant goat herders, says.

1. profile image0

That's what makes it so remarkable is God had to give these "ignorant" goat herders the words to write. They were simply not that smart to do it themselves.

More "laughable," actually. wink

1. ATexanagain profile image57
          ATexanagainposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Big ol Teddy bear

LOL You must really love this place. lol

Nope just love you

I am flattered. lol

You should be I ain't the sensitive type

I guess that goes the same for the burning bush, as it wasn't smart enough to do it alone.  LOL

I see you have decided to abdicated your mind, in lieu of willful ignorance and irrational fear.

1. profile image0

We are not goatherders as you so flippantly use the word to insult them, but 5,000 yrs later, some scientists, politicians, people from all walks of life have chosen to follow these goat herders, to take their writings seriously and on the other side of the world take up a belief in Jesus.
          What sensational goat herders!!!! indeed.
          I think you underestimate them and by insulting them, insult yourself.
          The burning bush was brilliant! It was not so much the point that the bush burned but the point that it did not consume itself. Bushes in the desert sprang into fire quite commonly but they always consumed themselves and went out. We have forest fires today that happen naturally, huge forest fires yet what a sight if the trees were not consumed.

That is exactly why the "burning bush" is a myth.

1. profile image0

a myth to you. Its your opinion. You never come out and show why the bible is not to believed other than you believe in what you can see or that science has said, even when scientific theories are not conclusive - see dictionary definition of theory - you still uphold these fractional guesses as solid proof. You cannot see lots of things yet God, unseen is not believed to exist. I would say airs existence must stump you but trees do move, lol. You purport that goat herders could not have access to a spiritual entity, the creator of all, when it is entirely Gods purpose to be known by non goat herders today.
              In order to get a fact to be a fact it has to be supported by ALL the criteria, not just some. You base your beliefs on some criteria but not all. Darwin for example you believe in but he has been debunked, you probably praise the miller experiment as truthful scientific process, yet it has been debunked. Java man is completed from a skull cap (top) 3 teeth and a femur bone found 200 feet away, as the missing link between apes and man.
              Indeed you have no trouble believing what you believe because you want to disbelieve in God.  This is your agenda. I have an agenda to believe in God because i see Him in so many different ways and so very clearly, not because i have read so many debunked theories and chosen to believe they are not debunked, nor because i cannot unsee what i see even by choice and especially not because i don't want my life changed or to be proven wrong. I am open to good persuasive data for or against nothing at all like what you offer here. "the burning bush is a myth".. show me how or why but please refrain from snippets like that. I would say goat herders offer a better dialogue.

Nope.  I'm sure they were actually JUST goat herders.

I'm only dismissing the divinity of fictional documents from the past, I can't understand how I am insulting myself by doing that.

In other words, you actually believe in magic.

There are many things that we commonly do today that 2000 years ago would have been considered to be magic. And I am sure that if civilization lasts another 2000 years they will be doing things which we consider to be magic.
                SOoooo   yes I believe in magic.

so you think technology is magic?

NO, I'm saying that 2000 years ago it would have been considered as such.

No, 2000 years ago, it would have been considered god.

Just because things are "considered to be magic" doesn't make them actual magic,

2. profile image0

I can see how diminishing another people from ages ago would not insult you. Well actually i can't see that at all. How can we say anyone is stupid unless they are drooling in a wheelchair and even then we may be wrong (stephen hawking). To disbelieve in what people say because they are goat herders is like to say i don't believe so and so about math because they are flourists. You may even in your folly of dismissal think all people from long ago were idiots but you fail to remember that in the future we may be called idiots. hmmm.
              But here you disbelieve in a people of low occupation although vital occupation, indeed necessary, whom believe in a God who created all.
              So in your mind those who do not have a diploma of sort are not to be believed in our society in whatever they purport? You are a class distinction racist perhaps? I know about God but i know little about politics does that make me stupid? Many people know about certain things, even dungeons and dragons card games but because their expertise lay in one certain area are they to be discredited for whatever else they believe.
              Your irrational condescension of a race of people based on their jobs and including the era of their existence is insulting to you.
              Got it right now?

3. profile image0

Magic (from dictionary.com)
              1.  the art of producing illusions as entertainment by the use of sleight of hand, deceptive devices, etc.; legerdemain; conjuring: to pull a rabbit out of a hat by magic.
                 I do not believe in this kind of magic as being real magic.

2.  the art of producing a desired effect or result through the use of incantation or various other techniques that presumably assure human control of supernatural agencies or the forces of nature.
                  I do not believe in this kind of magic as being real.

I thought it best to define magic before telling you what kind of magic i believe in. I believe in the kind of magic that God can do. I could jump to the bible for many many examples of magic from page one of genesis to the last page of revelation. Indeed the entire bible concerns itself with a vivid portrayal of Gods magic. And God does other magic too.

It doesn't matter what kind of magic you believe in, it's still disturbing that an adult hasn't the understanding that there is no such thing as magic.  To assert that there is an imaginary being, performing REAL magic, suggests a serious disconnect from reality.   THINK man THINK!

1. profile image0

That's your opinion and i think your life is lacking because of it. Since i know God exists its easy to believe in the topic of the this discussion.
                  Perhaps you should rethink man, rethink. smile

Magic has not been proven, by science, to exist, so my life is not lacking anything...except psychotic delusion, I suppose.

You don't know any God! lol You're just another carbon based life form, of no more significance than a housefly or its larvae.

11. profile image0

Magic and sorcery are of the devil and have no business being mentioned in a thread about God. JMO

There is no such thing as magic.  Also, there is no evidence of any being called the devil.  To assert that an imaginary being performs REAL magic suggests a serious and dangerous disconnect from reality.

1. profile image0

So, you are an atheist?

Actually, I am a realist.

1. profile image0

But, you don't believe in God? If so, why are you here?

I don't understand your question.  Are you asking why I am on this thread, or why do I exist?

1. profile image0

Why on this thread? Are you trying to convince people (like all atheists) there is no God? My friend I'm afraid you are wasting your time. As I would be talking to atheists. For some reason, atheists think that they are more educated, Why is this???

1. profile image0
                  riddle666posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The fault lies with the theist. In an argument they always put forward an ancient book that contain illogical and idiotic stuff that contradict logic and the known fact against logic and scientific studies.

1. profile image0

This is why atheist do not belong in these forums. They try and bully and out think there is a living God. You say I don't have proof. Where is yours. Why even come into a Christian forum and start with your same ole, same ole?

Because it is a public forum.

No, I am only pointing out just how foolish your beliefs are.  It is up to you to stop the insanity.  Even if there were a God, he wouldn't be this silly concoction in any of these absurd holy books.

In other words you are saying that psychosis is a rigid disorder, with a zero percent prognosis for recovery.  I agree, it is probably close to zero, as believers are too afraid of the monster under the bed.

It's not that atheist think that they are more educated, it's that your beliefs are downright silly.  It makes believers appear to be ignorant...although I know that the ignorance that they display is willful, because there are many highly intelligent believers.  But as we know, even brilliant people are subjected to indoctrination and mental disorders.

1. profile image0

And so are atheists. Even more so. Your arrogance astounds me. Where do you think you came from? There is a God that has made all of creation. No matter if you believe it or not, he also made you and gave you free will to think as moronic as you choose.

12. profile image0

God bless you JM!!

no thanks

1. profile image0

smile

I prefer not to be "blessed" by a non-existent being - especially when that tyrant is portrayed as a god of "love" who enjoys the slaughter, torture and torment of millions.

May the Flying Spaghetti Monster bless you and give you knowledge.

1. profile image0

Thank you JM for thinking of me.

I think about everybody.  Humanity will only grow to bigger acceptance, tolerance and inclusion if we can put away "childish" things - which includes threatening people or appealing to fearful emotions by saying they'll end up in a pit of fire for eternity.

Be good for the sake of being good - not because you're hoping for a reward in the next life - or because you're fearful of the punishment.

1. profile image0

JM.... You may find this hard to believe, but I have tried to be a good person all of my life. Life isn't always good to us, but at least we are still breathing. Honestly, wishing you all the best. We are of many people who just disagree on certain issues. This does not mean that we have to be enemies.

no, we don't have to be enemies - but my interactions with you have proven otherwise.  You make assumptions about me.  You call me ignorant or uninformed.  You almost go out of your way to question my education and my motives - and then you show up in forums just to tell me how angry I am.  it seems that your actions don't back up your words - and you have to live with the consequences of that.  Just because you're being human right now does not mean that you'll continue to play "nice", and I will continually challenge your beliefs. 

So, no.  We don't HAVE to be enemies.  But if we are, it is entirely on your end.  Any respect that I may have had for you as a person has been lessened because of your behavior.

1. profile image0

JM... I only have one thing to say about your response, what about your behavior? I am very passionate about my faith. This is what drives me. Why must you question my faith if you don't believe? Is it your intention to encourage people not to believe in God? If so why?

13. profile image0

JM... You are very welcome. But, it saddens me that you have instilled these beliefs into your family if they find God amusing.

But - your god is funny. Even the bible tells you that when you go around making ridiculous claims - you will be ridiculed. Doesn't it?

1. profile image0

And rewarded!!

So - what are you whining about?

1. profile image0

I'm no whining at all. What are you doing in a forum about God anyway?

2. profile image0

mark knowles, ......we get it, you think we're all silly....and by the way, God does not think it is ok for you to say things against Him and make fun of Him.....He is downright serious about His great Love for us all....and He doesn't want anyone to spend an eternity apart from Him.....and that is why He came down from heaven and was born of the Virgin Mary so that He could die on the Cross in our place....and He did....He, Jesus Christ our Lord, died on the Cross for our sins, removing them forever, washing us whiter than the snow, so that we could be with Him for all eternity.....But, you have to want to belong to Him, you have to choose to ask Him to come and live inside of you and take over, take control of everything, to carry your burdens and give you His perfect peace in place of them.....But, if you choose to reject Jesus Christ our Lord, He will let you do so, He does not force you to believe in Him....but He is sad when anyone rejects Him because He does not want anyone to perish(meaning spending eternity apart from Him....in hell.....it is certainly your choice.....Now it would be so much easier to say nothing to you, but I don't want the easy way, I want to show God's Love to you.....this is what God wants, for his saints (we who belong to Him, who Love Him and believe in Him).....He wants us to tell everyone about Him!!!....& that is what I am doing and that is what J is doing..... And, in the end, it is your choice, and your choice alone....no one will try to force you into believing.....we just tell you about Jesus for your sake, and then the Holy Spirit of God does the work.....He intervenes in the hearts and minds of those people who are open to knowing Him, and comes in and takes up residence in your heart, takes care of you, Loving you beyond any love you could ever possibly know.....and then you get to spend all eternity with God in your eternal life....He created us all as eternal beings, and it is our choice.....will we be with God for eternity or with the devil......this is your choice as I said, but for your sake, please do make the right one.....May Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior bless you, and open your heart and mind, so that you too may know His great Love and Peace, as J, myself and millions of others do!!!

NO.

we find all sorts of ridiculous claims amusing.  When there is no reason to believe in something, we don't believe in it.  We don't believe in mutually exclusive claims that contradict themselves.  We think critically and question things - don't just decide that they "must" be true and base our lives around them.

I feel sorry for you if you haven't got the intellectual honesty to apply the criticism you display towards every other religion in the world onto your own.  What stops you?  You don't believe in Zeus or Apollo.  You reject Allah.  You find their claims about the world silly - but you assert yours and try to promote it as absolute truth for no better reason.  Why don't you examine your own religion as critically as you examine all of the others?

1. profile image0

JM... Enough of your banter. I really feel sorry for your children.

lol whatever you say oh ultimate dictator person who tries (and fails) to control the forums.  Not having any authority whatsoever kind of sucks, doesn't it?  You can't actually do anything about it.  People can say whatever they want - even when it goes against your pet favorite belief.

1. profile image0

I truly do feel sorry for you and all that you have influenced. I just hope some have the moral capacity to know the truth.

What on earth makes you think that I do not have the "moral capacity" to know truth?  First of all, morality had nothing to do with truth.  Secondly, are you claiming that your only morality Congress from your chosen religion?  What do you base that on?  why do you think christianity is moral at all?  You don't need to believe in a god to be moral.  In fact, you can be a lot more moral without it.  Finally, your beliefs are just beliefs.  That does not make them true.  You'd like them to be - but you can't come any closer to proving it than any other god belief out there.

2. profile image0

jmcfarland, if you only have negative and harsh things to say, why keep visiting this hub page....why not do yourself and the rest of us a big favor, and go away.

I'm talking to jt not you.  He engaged me.  Its an open forum, and that means I am just as free to content and respond as you are.  Or do you think that he needs help against one little atheist?

2. profile image0

Christian to Christian, This is not cool.. There was no need to involve families in this conversation

1. profile image0

Christian to Christian...... I only speak the truth. She said she thought her family was amused by God. That is totally out of line. There is nothing amusing about one's salvation.

1. profile image0

She involved them. Read her profile.

1. profile image0

She mentioned her family, But there are still some areas that should not be followed. Saying you feel sorry for someone's family in a specific area (especially one where ideals are discussed) kinda makes it more personal..

1. profile image0

I tried to be the bigger person, But some people just will not allow it. She is one of them and she does this stuff constantly to all who believe. I will take up for my God regardless!!

1. profile image0

Sometimes, being the bigger person involves just simply not responding after a certain point. So for this point, if she stops replying then that would make her the bigger person in this situation.

This post is ludicrous.  You tried to be the bigger person?  By continually using ad hominem attacks, assumptions and ridicule and then essentially telling me to shut up and go away - all this after telling me that we're not enemies, and you continue to engage me while simultaneously telling me that I'm silly for responding?  That makes YOU the bigger person?  We have very different ideas of what constitutes good behavior.  When I point out bad behavior that directly contradicts your own beliefs, you can't even acknowledge that you acted badly.  You just point the finger at me and ignore everything I said.  But the atheist is egotistical, right?

14. taburkett profile image58
    taburkettposted 11 years ago

The creator of all things can be seen everyday by humans who open their eyes correctly.
    When speaking of the creator with someone who does not yet see, I always ask if they can tell me which came first - the chicken or the egg.
    Naturally they seem confused by this, but then I ask them to describe how the egg produced itself.
    Naturally they become even more confused.
    Then I ask if it really makes any difference which came first.
    Most people who do not believe in the existence of a creator then seem more confused.
    I then state that it does not matter, because the creator chose which came first.
    I have yet to find any scientist who can answer any of these questions with a solid answer.
    But, I know there was a creator, because I know that he created one of them first because they exist.

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There is a correct way to open our eyes?

No one ever taught me that.  To think, I've probably been doing it wrong all these years.

15. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Am I here?

1. profile image0

I see you.  That means you are here.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not sure whether to hammer this thread as the last one. What say you...?

1. profile image0

You could try....but it's been almost two hours since anyone but us has been here.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
            Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm here but it's gone midnight and I need to go to sleep.

But in answer to the OP I'm surrounded by people who don't believe in God because they see no evidence and have no need for him in their lives.

16. taburkett profile image58
    taburkettposted 11 years ago

May God bless all - regardless of your personal status or opinion.

17. MissJamieD profile image54
    MissJamieDposted 11 years ago

I find it hard to believe that most Americans believe in God. Most of them have no relationship with Him or spend any amount of time out of their precious day to observe Him. That's why the world is going to hell in a handbasket. And if so many Americans belive in God, why are we taking His name out of schools and why are we not teaching our children, in school or at home, about God and Jesus and the bible? I think if we spent more time obeying God's wishes and instilling these values into our children, the world would be a better place. Of course that doesn't mean God is the answer to all of our worlds problems, but it would solve many of them by default. People wouldn't be so selfish and hateful, therefore most of us would be happier and life would/could be easier.

Just my opinion.

MissJamieD,  I think your perspective, and the OP's observation are both valid.  The vast majority of Americans do believe in God, but only in the most general way.  That simply means they believe someone created this complicated existence of ours.  It does not mean they know who He is, love, trust, respect or serve Him.  That has been on the decline for a long time.  They just can't wrap their head around the concept that a universe whose smallest and simplest component is infinitely more complicated than man's grandest achievement, happened by chance out of nothing, with no Creator.  They may not want to discuss the idea, explore it, or have their lives inconvenienced by it, but when asked if they believe in it, they say yes just in case.

1. MissJamieD profile image54
        MissJamieDposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree, most people say they believe just to save face.

1. profile image0

And many belittle the beliefs and practices of others to create face. Which do you consider falls more in line with the definition of 'Christian'?

IMHO, you have to practice, pray, observe God to be a Christian. You must spread the word, not because He wants you to, but because you believe it so much in your heart that you want to share this gift with everyone you meet, in hopes that the world may become a better place to live someday. I always have a hope that people will realize that evil is taking over and someday begin their own journey back to our creator.

Until then, you cannot call yourlself Christian in my book. If you're too afraid to talk about it, you can't be Christian, if you know absolutely nothing about the bible, study it. If you don't pray for humanity and selflessness, you shouldn't call yourself Christian. If you title yourself Christian but take none of these actions, you shouldn't call yourself Christian. The world is so full of fakes these days, but you can tell the real Christians, you can see it in their eyes and you can see it in their actions and body language.

That's my opinion. I believe in God, I pray, I spread the word even if people don't like it, I don't care. I'm a happier person than many, I can deal with horrible problems in my life and still look them positively because every day is a lesson learned whether good or bad. Use it and share it.

1. profile image0

Let me see if I understand you. In your book someone has to emulate your behavior to be labeled a Christian? Does anyone, but you, have access to your book? Does your book carry any weight with anyone other than you? Can you site any reason why anyone should consider your book  as authoritative? Should your book override their book? How do you feel when another person uses their book to belittle your book?

Other people's opinions have no bearing over mine. That's why I said In My Humble Opinion....if you know what the word opinion means, then you shouldn't even be asking me this question. I have total respect for anyone who believes writings that have been proven over and over again from across the world, that intertwine, written by people from all walks of life in different stages of life, for thousands of years. I realize there are other "books" out there, and you have every right to believe the one you want. I appreciate your reply and I understand your question but my answer is that your opinion has nothing to do with mine. You do your thing, I'll do mine. As long as your "book" projects positivity, love, compassoin, selflessness, and assisting others to see the graciousness of life itself, I have no problem with it whatsoever. And I didn't come here to start an argument with anyone

NOBODY on this planet really knows the truth 100% because none of us were here when the earth and the humans were formed, that's why there's something called Faith. You can have faith in whatever you want. Whatever gets you through the day in a positive light and you're doing good for yourself, your loved ones, and humanity, you can have faith in anything you'd like. That's not for me or anyone else to judge. Like I said, I share my opinion because I'm not ashamed of it.

1. profile image0

I wasn't advocating that you read another book. Your words were that, in your book, they couldn't call themselves Christian if they didn't agree with your way of doing things. I'm curious what book gives you the authority to deny people use of a name?

".......In my book" is a figure of speach. Sorry for the confusion. I should've chosen my words more carefully. I should've continued with the phrase, "in my opinion" that i'd used throughout.

18. Greg Sereda profile image67
    Greg Seredaposted 11 years ago

From what I understand, most people in America believe in the existence of God. I remember watching a video some time ago where the questions was asked to numerous individuals on the street. The percentage that said they believed in God was around 80%.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)