What is your favorite type of Pizza?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (16 posts)
  1. brimancandy profile image77
    brimancandyposted 11 years ago

I spent 8 years working in a pizza place, and some of those recipes are still fresh in my brain. We made large specialty pizzas, and sold them mainly by the slice, to a very large lunch crowd of over 500 people in a food court type setting. Some days it would be a very tiring job, where you did nothing but make pizzas all day, and rarely get a break. Sometimes working 10 hours in a day.

Working with Pizza for 8 years, I kind of developed a lot hate relationship with it. I soon found that I did not like eating just pepperoni pizza every day. And, working with so many different kinds of pizzas, I would never have assumed that any of them would be that good, but, some of the worst thought up pizzas actually tasted pretty good. But, only if they were made fresh. After a half hour, they kind of lose that great taste.

At any rate. If I order a pizza, I go for all meat. Usually, Pepperoni, Sausage, Ham, and a little bacon, topped with mushrooms and black olives. Maybe diced tomatatoes. But NO peppers or onions.

Here are some of my favorite pizza memories. I am going to write a recipe hub, as soon as I can get some pictures together. Here's some of my favorites!

1. Taco Pizza. We made ultimate taco pizza, and it was a great seller.
    2. Chicken Fajita. MMMMM Simple recipe.
    3. Lasagna Pizza.
    4. Chicken Parmesan
    5. Seafood Pizza
    6. Cheeseburger Pizza
    7. Spinach Dip Pizza. (One of those that you have to eat quick)
    8. Philly Steak and Cheese.
    9. Hearty Meat. For the carnivores.

Some of the flops.

1. Tuna Melt. NOBODY liked it.
    2. White Fresh Tomato. Tasted ok, but the tomatoes usually made it get soggy.
    3. BBQ Chicken pizza. Another soggy one, and a bit too spicy. Red onions and cilantro yuck.
    4. Tomato Pesto. We hardly sold any of those.

One of the ones that could have been!

1. Breakfast Pizza! Very delicious idea. That got shot down, by corporate.

We made lots of different kinds of pizzas. Another that was popular that I didn't care for was the Rueben pizza. Good hot out of the oven, but 10 minutes and it's pretty gross. Gyro Pizza was also pretty popular, and our Vegetarian Pizza was also a big seller.

We actually had 14 different specialy pizzas. Might be a few that I left out, as a lot of pizzas got the heave ho by corporate. But, it was a great learning experience, and I was told by many customers that they loved my pizza. Even when I was no longer working in that area, I would be taken aside by management and told that I was requested by a customer to make them a pizza. They say when I stopped working down there, their sales dropped like a rock. LOL!!!

As for store bought. I have to go for the best. Either Freshetta or Digorno. The California thin crust isn't bad either. But hard to find anything I like. I settle for Red Barron. Because they have the largest variety. But, store brand pizzas are hardly gourmet. I like a soft crust, that I can later dip.

2. Stina Caxe profile image81
    Stina Caxeposted 11 years ago

I am not a fan of pizza sauce so I always liked the white pizza with lots of spinach and mushrooms.  I also love the Buffalo Chicken Pizza from Papa Johns.  Buffalo.. NOT BBQ! 

the best Pizza I ever had though was from a place called Pats pizza.  I had visited the one in Aberdeen MD and was able to try their stuffed steak pizza.  It was amazing.  I couldn't even finish one piece though there was so much to it!!!

3. philli profile image80
    philliposted 11 years ago

My favorite is definitely Meat Lover's. I also like a good Hawaiian pizza, too. I think the best pizzas that I ever had were one's I made myself....extra sauce, 3 different cheeses, Canadian bacon, pepperoni, sausage, olives, mushrooms, etc. Basically, everything that I love in the proportions that I love. As far as frozen pizzas go, the "gourmet" Walmart brand is pretty good. Some of them have rising, thick crust that actually taste kinda fresh. Outside of that, they all are the same to me. I do remember when Red Baron frozen pizzas used to the the cream of the crop. Now they have severely scaled down the size of their pizzas (they used to be a good bit bigger than the Tony's pizzas, now they are identical in size) and they taste like all the others. I think it is best to buy the cheapest frozen pizza and then add your own cheese and meat to it to spruce it up.

4. brimancandy profile image77

Hey Philli:

You just reminded me of one of our other pizzas. We also had a Hawaiian Pizza, which was pretty much just ham and Pineapples. They later wanted us to put red onions and cilantro on it, and that pretty much killed the sale of that pizza. Corporate was more concerned about how the pizza looked, then how it tasted. They had some pretty far fetched pizza ideas, and ruled them with an iron fist. I constantly got yelled at for not putting out their "special" pizza.

But, I didn't want to prepare pizzas that would just end up in into the trash. A waste of my time, and time better spent making pizzas the customers actually purchased. But, talking to them about that is like talking to a pre-programmed robot. That will only understand words it is required to hear. One of the many reason, why I got out while the getting was good.

1. philli profile image80
      philliposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've worked for big box stores and corporations, also. They don't use practical sense or consider local tastes or interests...they tend to lean towards their cookie cutter solutions for everything. Sucks for us little guys at times. It's cool that you still have a passion for your cooking, though. You should start your own pizza joint, especially if you still have former customers that miss your pizzas.

1. brimancandy profile image77
        brimancandyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I often thought about doing that. I think the only problem would be getting my hands on decent dough to work with. Our company used to make the dough fresh every day, then switched to frozen dough to save money.And, the pizza quality dropped 50 percent. But, yeah. If I had a decent amount of money I would open my own pizza place. And, keep it simple, not with all the extras, and probably only offer take out. Delivery costs would be too expensive.

5. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years ago

I love Pizza (either deep pan or thin 'n' crispy) with a topping of pepperoni, mushroom, onion, sweetcorn, green peppers and tomato. Divine tasting smile

6. profile image0
    Miriam Weissmannposted 11 years ago

Pizza Cipolla is my favourite.

7. Thelma Alberts profile image91
    Thelma Albertsposted 11 years ago

Tuna pizza and salami pizza are my favorite.

8. Abbasangel profile image64
    Abbasangelposted 11 years ago

One without a base, and with no anchovies, or fish products (I realise anchovies are fish but that is a definite line).

Also I like to enact the "sometimes" food rule...

Although on a serious note, I love tropical pizza (pretty much anything with Pineapple!)

9. ct92 profile image67
    ct92posted 11 years ago

Not really a big pizza fan in general, but I do like me a "salad pizza".
    (dough, tomato, kebab, salat, creme fraise dressing)
    love the mix between salty and crunchy

10. Michael Willis profile image66
    Michael Willisposted 11 years ago

When I can find an "excellent" Pizza Hut, which there is one 20 miles from here, my favorite is the Super Supreme hand tossed crust. Golden crust at perfection! Add a little pineapple chunks also really add pop to the flavor.
    Pizza Hut may be a "chain" but, I know the one in Arkadelphia, Arkansas is truly awesome!

11. Shanna11 profile image76
    Shanna11posted 11 years ago

Anything with feta cheese and spinach on top. Domino's has a really good pizza along those lines. Definitely my favorite.

12. brimancandy profile image77

Hey Shanna:

You just reminded me of the other ingredient on the spinach dip pizza we used to make. Spinach Dip with feta, diced tomato, with a little Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. It's a real easy pizza to make, if you have a deli that sells decent spinach dip.

You can also make the dip yourself, if you have the recipe. But, it's one of those pizzas that you have to eat when it's fresh an hot. If it gets cold, it loses it's flavor, and doesn't taste as good reheated.

13. Samith Jhon profile image59
    Samith Jhonposted 11 years ago

I love Papa John's chicken alfredo pizza--didn't think I would though. My favorite pizza is a deep dish supreme with extra cheese.

14. cjpooja26 profile image63
    cjpooja26posted 11 years ago

Salad Pizza is my favorite.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)