Dork - What does that term mean to you? Are you a dork?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (48 posts)
  1. Sally's Trove profile image77
    Sally's Troveposted 11 years ago

When someone called me a dork today, I did a search on what the term means. I was surprised at the results here:

derogatory. A dull, slow-witted, or socially inept person. vulgar. The pen*s.

Someone who has odd interests, and is often silly at times. A dork is also someone who can be themselves and not care what anyone thinks.

Slang. a silly, out-of-touch person who tends to look odd or behave ridiculously around others; a social misfit: If you make me wear that, I'll look like a total dork!

Slang A stupid, inept, or foolish person: "the stupid antics of America's favorite teen-age cartoon dorks" (Joshua Mooney). 2. Vulgar Slang The pen*s.

Dork is a slang word for a stupid or inept person; similar to nerd or geek. Dork may also refer to: Vulgar slang for "pen*s"

A person of indeterminate intelligence that often gravitates toward technological or fictional material with considerable interest, but often little understanding or comprehension.

Dork can mean a lot of things. What do you think?

1. AliciaC profile image92
      AliciaCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I’ve heard the word used in a friendly, joking way (especially amongst socializing teenagers), who say something like “You dork” when they’re commenting on a friend’s behavior that they consider weird or silly. The term isn’t being used in an offensive way and the speakers and the person performing the behavior are often smiling or laughing. I’ve also heard of the word being used to refer to someone with odd interests who doesn’t care what other people think about them. I’ve never thought of it as a derogatory term.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree. Context means everything here.

2. Sally's Trove profile image77
        Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for your insights. Where "dork" might have been completely pejorative in the past, it may now have a different connotation. That's what I was looking for...a change from then to now.

Maybe the dork days have ended...

I don't think so...but I do think what it means depends on who says it for what reason. Plus, language changes. I guess I'm feeling a bit relieved that my being called a dork wasn't such a horrible thing, considering context and all that.

2. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image61
      Jo_Goldsmith11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I felt like a dork
      When I dropped my fork
      duh!
      It fell from my hands
      I sat there staring
      Not really caring
      The soup was cold
      "You are such a dork"
      This is what I was told.

hahahahahaha smile

3. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I've been called this derogatory term, dork, by a family member, but she was jesting. But I have also heard dork used in an ugly, mean way that caused a lot of hurt feelings.
      Our tongue can either build up or tear down is the lesson here.

4. profile image0
      GalaxyRatposted 6 years agoin reply to this

What?? A PE***? You gotta be kidding. But, I consider myself a dork. Yeah, it's true. I have unusual interests...

2. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

Dork Matter and the Big Slang.

What is the Big Slang?

It is where dork matter came from...

That's helpful. smile

3. Zelkiiro profile image86
    Zelkiiroposted 11 years ago

Whale junk.

I don't think that's what I was looking for.

2. profile image0
      Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

If you were called that on this forum, the person who did it would be automatically banned for doing so. That should answer your question. big_smile

As for me, I've done dorkness. But generally and hopefully, I am dork free.

No, no one in this forum...just looking for what folks think a dork is. But, from what you said, "dork" is a totally negative term.

Being called a dork is an insult. Plain and simple. You need to evaluate or reevaluate your relationship with the person who called you that.

What about the second definition...Maybe "dork" is taking on a new meaning?

There is such a thing as a friendly insult.

How close is your relationship with this person?

I like that.

5. Sally's Trove profile image77

So far, these are totally negative connotations.

6. Sally's Trove profile image77

What I'm looking for is what "dork" means to you (meaning anyone), and maybe that word has a connotation that isn't negative today, although it might have always been in the past.

When I researched the term, I was surprised to see pen*s come up so often.

It did what...?

Well, maybe it could have, maybe it would have, maybe it did, and maybe it didn't. But the word did come up...can't post it here...HP would slap me and Google would condemn me. Sad, sad.

2. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Me too!  I've never heard the pen*s connotation myself.  I call myself a dork regularly.  I use it to mean silly, odd, a little less than intelligent - but endearing.  For example, I would NEVER use the word with someone who IS less than intelligent for fear of hurting their feelings.  But, I'll use it on myself or my husband - neither of us finds it offensive.

But...then I have always had a bit of a sarcastic nature.  When I found that the root of the word sarcasm meant 'to tear the flesh,' I made a conscious attempt to avoid sarcasm as often as possible.  I may do the same with the word 'dork.'

Interesting.

I, also, lean toward sarcasm. I just may rethink my approach. lol

7. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

I'd say that a dork is kind of a geek who crossed the line from cool geekness to uncool dorkness.  (I know, definitions aren't supposed to include the term-in-question).

8. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

To me, a dork is not a totally pejorative term. To me it's a person who is socially inept, like myself at times smile

We have a slackers club. Maybe we should start a dorkmeyer club. big_smile

9. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years ago

The way I usually hear the word used is one friend says to another "You're such a dork." Usually after the person made a silly assumption or is behaving in a goofy manner. I generally do not take it to be their true opinion that that person is generally stupid or dull-witted. I really have not heard it used as a serious insult or put-down.

10. Sally's Trove profile image77

Thanks to all of you for your very interesting input. I find myself in intriguing company!

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Those of us who populate the forums here at HubPages are nothing, if not intriguing!

big_smile

11. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

Somebody said I am a dork, and I asked why, she just said "You're weird". She is a friend though and she said the word with her signature laugh.

I've come to realize that being accused of dorkdom may actually be a compliment at times. lol

1. PoeticVine profile image67
        PoeticVineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'll agree I'm odd and can be a bit awkward at times.  It's just part of my charm.  ^_^  I too think it can sometimes be a compliment. 

Here's another spin on it, too.  Dad has a rather interesting sense of humor -- from our childhood, my sister and I would receive periodic notes in random places saying "YOU DORK" (my father writes in a "capitals" style handwriting).  I got one about a month ago, actually -- after he patched a jacket of mine, I opened one of the pockets and found a Post-It bearing those very words, so I kept it in there.  When I reach in that pocket without thinking and feel it there, I think of Dad.   smile

1. profile image0

That's so sweet.

1. PoeticVine profile image67
            PoeticVineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've always thought so too, Beth.  ^_^   There are all kinds of ways to express affection.  That's just one of Dad's.  smile

2. Sally's Trove profile image77

I love this little story. Thank you so much for sharing.

12. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

I just want to know if you edited penis or if the admin. did.

I did. smile

1. profile image0

Someone was once reading me a list of funny business web address's that went wrong.
        One was an online pen company. Their name was Pen Island. You can imagine how many hits they got.

Why didn't I think of that!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome. So long as you weren't looking for AdSense dollars. LOL

2. Robert Levine profile image85
          Robert Levineposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Along similar lines, consider what is created in the web address for Tutors Exchange when the space between those two words is eliminated.

13. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 7 years ago

Um, dork is not a serious insult.  It's the sort of thing tens call their friends when they think they are being a bit embarrassing.

14. Robert Levine profile image85
    Robert Levineposted 7 years ago

The use of "dork" to mean pen*s is because "dork," in that sense, evolved from "dirk"--a dagger, used metaphorically for the male organ.

15. Mackenzie Skelton profile image60
    Mackenzie Skeltonposted 6 years ago

I think that Dork can be used in many ways. I never use the word in a hurtful tone, but I call my boyfriend a dork all the time. He is! but I wouldnt change him for a second. He wouldn't be himself without his dorkiness. I think its cute on him.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)