The Most Dangerous Full Contact Sport without a Doubt is?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)
  1. profile image0
    lesliebyarsposted 11 years ago

It comes down to three sports really. Football, Boxing and MMA. Boxing is the most dangerous without a doubt. I hate to say it but deaths occur yearly in the ring. Boxing and MMA are my two favorite sports by the way.

1. Miller2232 profile image60
      Miller2232posted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's the thing the needs to be remembered every time, its a contact sport and not so much a violent sport. The most dangerous sport is rugby, its essentially football without pads. All the stuff that is illegal in American Football is fair game in rugby. In rugby, only the strong shall survive and you better have eyes in the back of you head because they come from all angles to clean your clock and get that rugby football.

1. DSLR Man profile image61
        DSLR Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I grew up at an all boys school and had to play rugby regularly. Trust me, the game is bad, but the locker room is worse. The most dangerous sport is trying to survive being a teenager.

2. Critical Thinker1 profile image59
    Critical Thinker1posted 11 years ago

I think the most dangerous full contact sport is American/Canadian football. Fighting (boxing, MMA, etc.) are dangerous but the intent is to hit your opponent to win so athletes are trained to hit and be hit. I'm not sure boxing can called "full contact," it is all contact. Danger in a full contact sport, to me, is the level of risk in every play.

In American football players intend to tackle other players. How the tackle is thrown and how the players land on the ground are highly variable and cannot be predicted or controlled - there is a risk of a broken ankle, sprained knee, concussion on every tackle. Level of risk depends on the position. The job of offensive linemen, for example, is to run into and/or hit other large men which very likely causes some sort of closed brain injury (there are many studies and articles looking at brains of deceased and current NFL players suggesting serious brain injury is caused by playing football for a prolonged period). The equipment in football certainly helps lower the risk of injury but the fact that there is so much equipment and its importance in injury prevention speaks to the potential dangers of the sport.

Rugby is also a dangerous full contact sport where the risks of tackling are high and sport specific injuries like ripped ears or common. But players in a scrum are arranged so that they are not hitting each other head every play on but rather pushing and shoving. Hockey also has its risks including being hit by a puck travelling over 100mph but the main goal of the game is moving the puck and scoring rather than making contact with other players every play.

All contact sports are dangerous. I don't know if there is one that is the most dangerous but some have greater risks than others.

3. CyclingFitness profile image89
    CyclingFitnessposted 11 years ago

American football is soft compared to rugby- they get pads and are only on the field for short spaces of time so recovery is possible. Rugby is more relentless. Scrums are a controlled element of the sport which can go wrong if they collapse.

I'd rather has any American football player running at me than someone like a Jonah Lomu in his prime.

4. ocbill profile image52
    ocbillposted 11 years ago

Most rugby players are built pretty huge so they an take a tackle or bump at full stride on grass. Those guys are in great shape.
    MMA has tamed down since the early days where it was more of a bloodsport.
    American football is now so sissy-ish you can't even touch a guy ,(especially the QB), receivers fall to the ground before they are hit, penalty for hitting a defense-less receiver?  They might as well play flag football.
    Boxing is just full force hits on a person's ribs and head. It is continuous for 12 rounds. I think this is the most dangerous.

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

"The Most Dangerous Full Contact Sport without a Doubt is...?"

Hookers.

1. Darren Owens profile image59
      Darren Owensposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think paradigmsearch wins this one, hands down with one word!

6. SimeyC profile image89
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

I'd agree with Rugby - but have you seen Aussie Rules Football?, or Celtic Football? - combination of Football, Rugby, and cage fighting!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)