'Start a New Hub' with a QAP Friendly Template

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (21 posts)
  1. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 11 years ago

The 'Start a new Hub' is very basic.
    Why not populate it with a QAP friendly Template.
    Whenever I start a new hub I have to add lots of new capsules and duplicates. The ones not needed could be deleted.
    Simone and others have provided advice to people who have their new hubs idled with advice such as:
    => Add three or more photos
    => Break the text into several sections each with their own subheading
    => add a variety of capsules such as polls, quizzes, tables videos
    Why not add a template to 'start a new hub' with what HP wants!  See Below

Joke
    Why are Hubbers like ducks? 
    Because they say QAP QAP QAP!

http://a1niches.com/QAPs.jpg

1. Simone Smith profile image87
      Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're right! A better template is a much, and this is something we've been discussing. The key, at this point, is for us to find a template/approach that we find to be truly effective (we've run tests and have yet to see something that makes a sufficient impact). Rest assured we're on it!

janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the reply -- Simone  => My suggestion is to Link the Template to a simple, fast and objective way of QAPing the 1M + old hubs that can be done cheaply in a way that people can understand!!!!!!
        see http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/110051#post2342545

2. Rock_nj profile image90
        Rock_njposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Please leave open the option for us to opt out of the QAP template.  It would be good for guidance; I more or less follow that template (minus the table, what's that for? and 3 photos), but I'd like to not be forced to use a specific template just because Google likes it.

2. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As a default I would hate it - thanks, but I'll put those same capsules where I want them, along with the others I need.  I'd probably just delete them all and start fresh each time as it's easier than moving them around.

As a guideline, something to think about when starting a hub, it could be great and particularly so for newbies.  The only thing I'd really change there is the second photo capsule, flushed right of the first text.  I never put one there, and don't think you should most of the time.  Leave it for the ad.

The template was just a suggestion for HP (Paul E's version) - it is not my preferred layout either. Everyone could adapt it to their own style - it is just a starting point.

1. wilderness profile image93

Understood, and that's why I think something like that could be good particularly for the newbies.  Encourage them to break that one text capsule up as well as make a point that there are other capsules that deserve to be looked at as possibilities as well.  I do think it would be great for that and could promote the use of the different capsules. 

Just, please, get rid of that second photo capsule.  It all too often messes up an otherwise clean formatting job and cuts income as well.  If you have pull enough, get it off of the current default, too! big_smile

I agree, but Paul E loves the big image at the top so much, he has developed a special adsense ad that appears under the title if you go that way.  (see example Below  - very cluttered)

Just suggestions  - I won't defend the layout - just a starting point for discussion.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7742747_f248.jpg

I've come to like that lead in photo, too.  I'm trying to make it Pinterest friendly and having at least some success at it.

I still put an intro para at the top just big enough to allow the ads at the right then follow with big P images - best of both worlds IMO. Give text above the fold which I believe is important for G and for the reader. That layout is just ads on ads  - its hard to find the title and where' s the text - anyway that's another can of worms.
                Cheers,  Got to go.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7742894_f248.jpg

I generally do the same thing with that introductory text capsule - just big enough for the ad.

I'm not sure about G wanting text above the fold vs not wanting too many ads.  There's a difference, and G may be quite happy with a photo.  In any case I'm still working with Pinterest, trying to make something work there, and that big photo seems to be key.  If I can promote some traffic with it, I'm happy to do that.

2. ktrapp profile image91
                  ktrappposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I logged out of HubPages to look at your pork loin page myself, and it had a humungous ad across the top. It was wider than the actual Hub and probably more than twice as high as usual. Here is what I saw above the fold on my laptop:

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7744890_f248.jpg

I do like how your layout makes it so there's not an ad below the title (when logged out), but I wonder what's up with that humungous ad that just seems to dominate my screen (I guess that's a different topic though than what this forum is about).

Its nothing to do with the layout - its simply what Google delivers into the ad space provided by HP. I think these non-text ads change the decision about which layout is best. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I think users expect text above the fold - a good summary of what the article is about. My interpretation of the Google 'above the fold' stuff is that Google also wants 'text above the fold" not just ads and images. While we're off topic have you noticed the new Related Ads block at the bottom of the page and to the right below the pin button. Looks like an ad version of RSS - often unrelated to the topic of the hub but linked to the last things you the user were searching for.  ++ CPM's are up!!!

3. That Grrl profile image72
      That Grrlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've yet to find much use for the table function. I won't use videos in a post again. The month I did so I spent an extra $25 for my ISP bill due to the bandwidth I spent reviewing and choosing videos to add to my post. HP doesn't pay enough for me to be spending an extra $25 a month just for the unnecessary addition of videos to my posts.

Having to delete these from each new post template will be kind of annoying. I don't have a problem with adding new functions for text and photos and such as I need them. The link is right there inside the post while I'm working on it.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image91
    Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

I like the idea of having a template of a stellar hub.  Like the others said, it shouldn't be mandatory.  Maybe when we are creating a new hub and are choosing a template, the stellar hub template would be one of our options.

I think Janderson is thinking we could have that stellar template the default.  Changeable, yes, but what you see when you first start writing. 

Personally, I'd like the stellar template to be optional and just start with a single text capsule, but that's me.  I write on HP, not word, and it's easier to simply insert the capsules as I go rather than move them around.

My idea is 'Jane' daughter of 'Stella'=> 'Me Jane you Tarzan'
        The 'Jane' template is based on the minimum layout to improve the chances of getting featured (minimum QAP requirements) - It defines what HP wants as a minimum!

Trivial pursuit question:
          What was the name of  the sidekick of 'Xena: Warrior Princess" ( lets call her Stella) in the TV series?
          ------------------( Lets call her Jane)

1. WriteAngled profile image75
            WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Aww, poor little Gabrielle

3. monisays2u profile image61
    monisays2uposted 11 years ago

Hi janderson99..
    Thanks for a great Question.
    As per my view, the so called "google friendly template" can change from time to time. There are articles which are still doing better even without  the above criterion. I have seen hub of day without any stellar criterion. I think hubbers must get their own choice of deciding the template.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)