Mormon rituals and secret handshakes

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (114 posts)
  1. profile image52
    passingthewordposted 11 years ago

Rituals, secret names and secret handhakes that will get you into heaven, according to the Mormons
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6udew9axmdM
    Youtube
    Behind The Veil: Never-before-seen videos of secret Mormon Temple rituals .

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

With all due respect, passingtheword, the Roman Catholic Church is in the process of choosing a new Pope.  No one is interested, at the moment, in bashing the Latter Day Saints.  Wait until after the election, and I'm sure the posse will be back in full force.

roll

2. marbegay profile image58
      marbegayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Finding a new child abuser is your priority? http://www.christianpost.com/news/catho … ory-91360/

1. profile image0

Oh, sorry.  I missed that you were here to troll.

Carry on.

2. profile image52
        passingthewordposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Indeed, no hunting Mormons out of season.  Your license might be revoked.

1. profile image0

smile

I like that.

1. profile image0
        Rad Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't know much about the mormons so I just did a little research. That's some very messed up stuff. The missing golden plates? Do people just make stuff up and other people?

1. profile image0

Remind me some day to introduce you to Warren Jeffs.  He is NOT a part of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  He is a fundamentalist Mormon whose church sanctions polygamy.

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
            SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And child rape.

1. profile image0

As part of the ceremonies attended by his followers.  I agree with Rad - the problem is with those who follow.

Jeffs himself had intercourse with a 12-year-old and fathered a child with a 15-year-old (at least those are what he was convivcted of). Jeffs had 78 wives, 24 of them were under 17.

1. profile image0

And yet the gullible continued to follow him.

True. What a guy. What followers. Disgusting all the way around.

2. profile image52

Warren Jeffs is a modern day Joseph Smith.

1. profile image0

I'm sure there are many, many Mormons who would differ with that assessment.  Thank God.

Joseph Smith had 34 wives including married women and 14 year olds.
              Joseph and Warren are pretty similar. Read this article it is very interesting and educating.
              http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52371 … s.html.csp

3. profile image0

I know of Warren Jeffs. The problems is not with people like Warren Jeffs or Joseph Smith it's with the nuts that follow them. Gold plates? Please!

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
              Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Warren Jeffs and his followers have nothing to do with the LDS church based in Salt Lake City. The LDS church has made that clear.  It's sad that people still confuse his sect with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Yes, there are ordinances that are only attended by members. They are considered sacred more so than secret. All religions are based on faith, which is why nobody has seen the tablets on which the Ten Commandments are written. The LDS church follows the same beliefs and traditions of other Christian churches, and has an added volume of scriptures called The Book of Mormon. If you attended an LDS Sunday service, you would feel like you were in almost any other worship service.

I've written several hubs on the faith, for anyone who cares to check them out.  Members of my church (I am Mormon) live clean lifestyles and believe in following the law. Service to others is a priority; our members were among the first to be on the scene after Hurricane Katrina, and millions of dollars of aid and hours of service are given regularly throughout the world.

1. profile image0

I'm sure your a fine person, but I'm confused as to why someone would base their life on a book with suspect origins. I'm not just picking on Mormons as I have the same issues with all Christians and Muslims as well. Convenient that the Gold plates when missing? I'm glad that Mormons are trying to distance themselves with polygamy, but I'm told on its web site, the church says that “the standard doctrine of the church is monogamy" and that polygamy was a temporary exception to the rule. Who gets those exceptions?

If I were to propose that I'm currently translating a document handed to me by God in the way of platinum plated parchment and as I translate the platinum plated parchment dissolves. Would you have faith?

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84

I understand having questions, Rad Man. I can only share why I personally joined the church (nearly 11 years ago), not why  others do or do not. I grew up in what is now the United Methodist Church; for many years (like, 30) I had strongly believed that if people in the days of Moses and Noah needed the guidance of a living prophet, we certainly need one in our current world. So when I learned that the LDS church embraces that concept, I investigated it. I did not want a culture that worshiped a living person (such as some guru sects might do), and I wanted something consistent with Christian beliefs and values.

After investigating, I had my answers - ones that satisfy me, and my personal journey in faith. I also read The Book of Mormon (which, by the way, is often what prompts some members to join the church).  And I watched some talks by current leaders - which showed me they were humble and sincere people, not grandstanding or wanting the spotlight. I  have to take it on faith that The Book of Mormon was an inspired gift to us. It certainly reads that way.

But beyond that, I've never seen such good, kind, non-judgmental and loving people in my life. I see the kind of family units I wish I'd been able to provide my children. Again, these things have spoken to me in my own journey, not that of others.

1. profile image0

Thank but you didn't answer any of my questions?

2. profile image52

Mercy we do have one to follow that is living,  His name is Jesus!!!!!!
                    In the O/T their were more then just on prophet on earth at one time. If you have read kings and 2king you would read that Jezebel killed prophet(s) and tried to kill Elijah. Plural...
                    Do you really think that God needs a handshake  in order to let you into heaven?
                    And if your a student of the LDS faith, do you know what all of our new names will be? at the marriage feast we will be called Jesus' Beloved..  Just like a bride changes her name, so will we at the feast be called his Beloved.
                    The Bible has all we need.

2. profile image0

Marcy, I originally spoke about Warren Jeffs in this thread, and I tried to very clearly make known that he is not a part of the LDS Church centered in Salt Lake.

I, too, know that Jeffs is not affiliated with the LDS.

I assumed that others knew that, also, but maybe they don't. Hopefully they know now.

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84

Hi, Motown - yes, I saw what you posted (and I appreciate it!).  I was responding to some posts that seemed to continue to associate that mess with the LDS church.  Thanks for speaking up!

3. marbegay profile image58

Marcy, even though the LDS Church is separate from the FLDS it's roots are the same. Doctrine and Covenants 131 and 132 clearly state that polygamy is Mormon doctrine and will be practiced in the Celestial Kingdom. If you do not agree with that you better get ouf Mormonism before it is to late and you end up being one of many wives.

One thing that needs to be understood is that most of the Mormons you will meet today grew up within mormonism. They often don't even know about their founders polygamous and polyandrous marriages because it is not taught in any of the organisations classes and their own historians are encouraged to leave out things in their writings and lectures (https://si.lds.org/bc/seminary/content/ … ct_eng.pdf). They don't even know that the gold plates were translated by Smith by putting his head into a hat (http://www.lds.org/ensign/1993/07/a-tre … lation+hat). There are a lot of intelligent mormons out there, the problem is that they can't apply their intelligence within their own belief, critical thinking is suppressed. Here is a good explanation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUsOHsZIiA4

4. marbegay profile image58

I would suggest Joseph Smith was almost as bad as Warren Jeffs. He married 14 yr olds, suggested marriage to a 12 yr old and participated in polygamy and polyandry. The secret handshakes and temple ceremonies were taken from free masons ceremonies.
            All religions have orthodox followers most of them were born into it. What child really chooses their religion? The parents choose for them. Often when then the child no longer believes threads are made from the people that are suposed to love them the most. It is not just Mormons that have weird views, see
            http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012/de … 7-year-ol/
            http://www.truthbeknown.com/victims.htm
            http://www.scu.edu/ethics/publications/ … lywar.html
            http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … gain.html,
            http://abcnews.go.com/US/muslim-man-gui … d=12975396

1. profile image0

Thanks for the links.  I am not a Mormon, nor would I ever consider joining the Church.  There is no need for you to enlighten me. 

Thanks again, though.

1. marbegay profile image58

You have no need to be enlightened? Does that mean you are not interested in educating yourself? I guess? Serve yourself! Ignorance is bliss! wink

1. profile image0

I have no need to be enlightened about the Mormon Church, no. 

I know quite well Whom I serve.

And several others here know as well.

I don't argue about these things - especially with those who do not know me.

Enjoy the games, but I choose not to be a part of them.

smile

3. psycheskinner profile image84

Most major religions have some pretty messed up followers somewhere in the world, and some weird antiquated notions. I think Jesus had a saying about that involving the casting of stones.

1. profile image0

That stone thing was about sinning and had nothing to do with gullibility. Have you read about Joseph Smith?

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, it had to do with humility.

I know Mormons who are good, law abiding and generous people.  In which case I don't give a damn what religious beliefs they have.

1. profile image0

Warren Steed Jeffs is the president of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Jeffs

While reading through add up all the lives that were hurt as a result of Jeffs and his actions.

"While incarcerated at Louis C. Powledge Unit, Jeffs penned a book purported to be revelations of Jesus Christ delivered to Jeffs. This book is entitled Jesus Christ Message to All Nations and includes several directives, purportedly from Jesus Christ with Jeffs as the mouthpiece, to set Jeffs free."

My point is to ask at what point do we stop saying well it's just there religious beliefs. Do we leave the Taliban alone as well?

Very good point Rad Man! Where do we stop and say enough is enough?

Psycheskinner there are lot of good mormons out there! It's not about these law abiding citizen it is about their church. The scary thing is that these law abiding citizen are ask to follow their prophet even if it is wrong. “Always keep your eye on the President of the Church, and if he ever tells you to do anything, and it is wrong, and you do it, the Lord will bless you for it...” (Heber J. Grant, quoted by Marion G. Romney in Conference Report, Oct. 1960, p. 78. https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ … d?lang=eng) Right now you might not care what their beliefs are but if it affects you or your country in a negative way one day you will.

1. profile image52

Exactly just talking about the doctrine Not the people

4. Greekgeek profile image77
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

I started reading the Book of Mormon once and found it fascinating — if a little amusing. However, I try to remember that the religious practices and beliefs of most religions look bizarre to outsiders.

For a little perspective, watch how Christian sects are portrayed in some animé. It's interesting to see the Japanese grasping to understand the irrational parts. They are fascinated by the ritual trappings and angel mythology, but I've never seen them cover transubstantiation. (The whole idea of eating the blood and body of your god sounds pretty disgusting).

Yet there are Christians in Japan, just there are Mormons here, whom they could talk to and ask for clarification.

I am frustrated and inconvenienced by some things that the Church of LDS has done. From what I can tell, it was founded much in the way that the Church of Scientology was founded. The question for me is not how it began, but what came of it.

I am not so arrogant as to assume I know everything about Mormons, or that all Mormons are like their more extreme and appalling church members, any more than I assume all Christians are like Jerry Falwell or the pedophile priests who keep making the news.

Some Mormon-bashing to me sounds like the same sort of dehumanizing critique that was levied by thoughtful Roman writers against Christians — whom they thought were cannibals, based on what they heard of communion — or like what has been said to justify the persecution of various marginalized religious groups.  It's all too common for the popular imagination to build up some lesser-known religion to be savage, creepy, weird, full of sinister cultists who venerate idols, have arcane rituals and/or perform live sacrifices. The truth is usually far more boring: a top layer of dysfunctional church politics and the usual mix of ordinary people following that faith and interpreting it in various ways.

1. profile image52

This has nothing to do with what i believe. It is just Information that is not shared with anyone outside of church

2. profile image0

I suppose in some respects your right, but a few questions need to be asked. The book itself may be interesting but what is more interesting is the story of where the book came from.

1. Are they practicing anything thought to be illegal? Marrying children and polygamy is thought to be illegal in most countries.

2. Are they taking advantage of weak minded people? Certainly. Not educating girls and marrying them off to old men is a cruel waist of a life.

1. Shanna11 profile image76
        Shanna11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

M'kay. Mormon girl here to set the record straight.

As an LDS (NOT FLDS) girl, I have yet to be married off to an older man. I have yet to become someone's 3rd or 4th wife and I also have yet to drop out of school and stop pursuing a double major/foreign language minor.

Strangely enough, I really don't think any of those things will ever actually happen, either....

1. profile image0

You really don't think any of those things will actuarially happen. Sound like your not sure? Look I know we can't bunch everyone up into a nice tidy box. I do however find the finding and losing of the Gold plates suspect.

As I asked before but didn't get a reply to, if I was to tell you that I was given platinum plated parchment scribes that I'm translating into a new book, but as I translate the scribes dissolve. Would you take my word that I'm being honest?

1. Shanna11 profile image76
            Shanna11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

There was a healthy dose of sarcasm in that post. I know for sure.

As for the rest of your diatribe, I really don't care. There's no use arguing, debating or even discussing things that I consider important with someone who just wants to scorn and pick a fight. Have a nice day.

1. profile image0

Sorry, If you feel that way. I'm just trying to understand, all I did was ask a simple question.

Shanna, it's easy to say that you do not want to discuss things that are important to you with others because you assume they want to pick a fight with you. To often this answer comes from people that simply do not know enough about their own religion or fear that the other person will try to destroy their faith.
              I would like to encourage you to read up and research the claims other people make that disturb you. Open your mind and think freely without fear. Knowledge truly frees people and you might find facts that will surprise you.
              Of course you can also choose to stay ignorant and tell people off when they are only trying make you see things from a different perspective.
              FYI - According to LDS teachings polygamy will be practiced in the celestial kingdom (D&C 131:1-4 and D&C 132:1, 6, 21). Those who won't will be damned according to Doctrine and Covenants.
              For more info also read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_ … t_polygamy
              http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/basi … 1_132.html
              And remember: "No one! It matters not how righteous they may have been, how intelligent or how well trained they are. No one will enter this highest glory unless he enters into the covenant, and this means the new and everlasting covenant of marriage.” ( “The Importance of Celestial Marriage,” Ensign, Oct. 1979, pp. 5–6 .)

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84

You said it, Shanna!  I'm not running around barefoot or in outdated Prairie dresses, either. I have an MA and a career, my own credit and own home. And I hear more women give talks in our church than in any other church I've ever attended.

1. profile image52

do you really think that the all knowing God wont let one of his hard working God fearing man or woman into to heaven if that person forgets the handshake?

Marcy, I aplaude your education and career! Unfortunately you are exceptional. Most women that go to BYU or other Universities never finish or major in Family Sciences and end up as stay-at-home moms with no degree or work experience.
            Yes, a lot of women give talks in the LDS Church but are not allowed to pray in General Conference (General Relief Society MEETING is not part of General Conference).
            I wanted to ask you if you are married.
            When I was endowed in a Mormon temple I bowed my head and covenanted to the Lord in front of witnesses and angels to obey my husband as long as he obeys the Lord. That make him superior to me, doesn't it?  We lived our lives by the Proclamation to the World: The Family, where it states that the man is the provider and the women the nurturer.
            If Mormons would only analyse their lives and their churches teachings with a honest heart they would not see the need to defend this organisation. To many times LDS members are lying for their religion without even knowing because they do not know enough about their own Church's history and teachings.

1. profile image52

1 Corinthians 11:5
              But every woman that prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head: for that is one and the same as if she were shaven.

I like this scripture because it shows that women are aloud to pray speak teach and prophicy in the church. But they must be covered... covered with what????? Covered with Christ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. xpressrite profile image60
    xpressriteposted 11 years ago

All this dialog is interesting and actually kind of funny. Just so you non-mormons know. We got rid of our horns back when we were obliged to bring our faith to the Salt Lake valley to protect ourselves from mobbers and enjoy freedom of religion.  Our Temples are beautiful places to connect and get away from the rush of the world.  If you want to learn our history--then why don't you?  It's not on YouTube...

1. profile image52

hello xpressrite. Just to let you know that i was a mormon for 18 years. The video is pretty accurate.
      Mormons also went to salt lake to enjoy and continue practicing polygamy and escape or avoiding going to jail.

If you only knew your own history you would have not said what you have said xpressrite. Most LDS members do not know their church's history well enough and when confronted with things they have never heard they assume it is anti or bashing. You may believe the LDS church is the only true church on the face of the earth but doing a little bit of research of Church history in the Church Archives will actually reveal things you have never known. Before you criticize people on what they have discovered about your religion do the reading first.

1. xpressrite profile image60
        xpressriteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Its BECAUSE I Do know our history, that I said what I said. You make too many assumptions about people and their choices. Maybe you should try to be a little more objective.  Signed A believer

2. xpressrite profile image60

For your information Marbebay. The only one making "assumptions" as you call them and criticizing as you called it is you also.  I have read it all many times.  I've been a Church librarian for 6 years!!   Maybe you should follow your own advice.  For someone who sounds like they know so much---

Church librarian in your ward or in the church history building?

Really???? So as far as you know--- they keep that stuff in the ward library??

I have been a church librarian as well. I have read and am still reading and learning a lot about mormonism. Most of my information comes from searching lds.org but I also have read "Mormon Enigma; Emma Hale Smith" Emmas biography written by LDS Women and other statements of LDS leaders from the past and present. I am not as ignorant as you think I am. I guess you have no evidence or facts and ran out of things to say. I feel sorry for you but I encourage you to live your life the way it makes you happy! It is very hard to leave what you have believed in for many many years. It might give you a heart attack. One thing though if you want to discuss things with people who criticize the LDS church get informed first so you won't embarrasses yourself anymore.

I certainly am living what makes me happy!
                It's hard to be embarrassed about something I love. Your the one without facts. Like I said. I've had access go all histories for 6 years

2. xpressrite profile image60

Margebay,
                You mean you've been a Ward Librarian.
                   Not a Church Librarian.... You need a recommend to do that  Glad your still learning.....so

1. profile image52

Soooo... Xpres can someone sneak into heaven if they now the hand shake? serial killers child molesters can they get to heaven if they know the handshake

3. xpressrite profile image60

So why fo you think you're the only one with facts...enlightening everyone?  Hasn't it occurred to you that you may be wrong.   If I was going to leave the Church(which I never would), the last thing it would be over is history.  My Faith is based on tried and true principles...like prayer, faith.  Histories are subject to interpretation .  Good luck to You. I guess you like neutral ground.

1. profile image52

My God is all might all knowing. He Is a spirit and he tells us to live in spirit and in truth. That where faith is believing in the spirit.
                  Those are my beliefs. Any more questions?
                  Just think of this. A mighty mighty mighty mighty god needing a handshake a name i order to let you into heaven. Think about it.
                  Plus if you read Revelation you will now that our new name will be God's beloved. Get it the marrige with Christ the marriage feast spoken of the end time. This just me sharing

4. xpressrite profile image60

So why fo you think you're the only one with facts...enlightening everyone?  Hasn't it occurred to you that you may be wrong.   If I was going to leave the Church(which I never would), the last thing it would be over is history.  My Faith is based on tried and true principles...like prayer, faith.  Histories are subject to interpretation .  Good luck to You. I guess you like neutral ground.

6. xpressrite profile image60

Was......whew. I'd hate to think you still WERE and posted your movie. 

Good luck Faith-Bashing

In the meantime "traffic's up.

1. profile image52

?
      Do you believe the All Mighty God is not going to let his true believes in heaven because they my have forgoten  a hand shake?
      and know everyone knows the handshake. does this mean that people can fool God and enter heaven because they know the "handshake" ?
      faith bashing..... no
      cult revealing.... yes

7. xpressrite profile image60

Oh..so now you're putting words in my mouth?   
    Seems like it's your question and your answer

1. profile image52

No words in the mouth... just a question to you.
      Do you have an answer or a belief on this question?

My answer is "I don't know".  But here's a question for you-  how do you fool  God

1. profile image52

You can't!!! He is all knowing right?
          That's why I am saying that God does not need a handshake, a secret name. He knows his children and his children know him.
          I know you think your god is from the planet kolab. but my God is everlasting all knowing holy and mighty.

8. psycheskinner profile image84

Everyone believes some stuff that is objectively ridiculous, myself included.

It is part of being a human being.

Actually you have a choice you can believe in ridiculous things or science. True as humans we often want to believe some romantic story or fairytale but the problem is that fantasies develop into different religious groups and create hate and discrimination among humans.

9. xpressrite profile image60

For your information Marbebay. The only one making "assumptions" as you call them and criticizing as you called it is you also.  I have read it all many times.  I've been a Church librarian for 6 years!!   Maybe you should follow your own advice.  For someone who sounds like they know so much---

1. profile image52

Hey xpressrite..... Say Jeffery Domer of Osama Bin Laden knew the hand shake. Would God let them into heaven?

PS: handing out materials and crayons doesn't make one a scholar in anything even if it was for 6 years. Not until you have actually read the real history from the history books (not manuals where you can only read bias excerpts) you know history. Biographies of early saints like Emma would be a good start. smile

Oh yeah. Emma..the Mormon Enigma".  Not my idea of a Great start.  LOL
        May be you ought to start researching some authors and their SOURCES

A Better Read is by Younggreen. He's her descendant. And what does crayons have to do with this ????

10. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 11 years ago

More anti Mormon propaganda PTW? I guess secret handshakes are a little obscure to the rest of the bible believing world. Not the norm like, say, circumcision, or animal sacrifice. God certainly asks his people to do things that might sound a little uncouth to outsiders at times. None the less it's Gods wisdom you yours.

1. profile image52

You with that anti word. I told you that i the bible it is used as "instead of or substitute for Christ" so your saying substitute Mormon?
      How is it propaganda when all i sharing is the  truth

1. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your purpose is to sensationalize by exaggerating the facts or presenting them in a negative light in order to convince others that Mormons are wrong and you are right, (even though nobody has any idea what you believe, except that Mormons are wrong). And in the English dictionary "anti" means one that is opposed. Eg. antisemitic, anti-government, etc..

11. xpressrite profile image60

Amen!!

12. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 11 years ago

Like the freemasons cloaked in secrecy...who are supposed to be also religious..lol no wonder God had abhorence for 'the religious"  Christ  openly rebuked their religious spirit and lofty arrogance.

1. profile image0

Christ also established a church, with Deacons, teachers, priests, elders, apostles, and seventies.

and who really wrote the bible? google it!

1. profile image0

Lots of people wrote the Bible over thousands of years. And it is the only book that contains a written historical account of Christ. So without it you would know absolutely nothing about him.

1. profile image52

Onus.... long time. Maybe I could ask you this question. Would God let Jeffrey domers or Osama bin Laden Into heaven if they know the secret handshake? I know it would you let me into the Celestial Kingdom?

1. profile image52

Do you have answer or comment , or do you want to continue to ignore me?

1. profile image0

D&C 22

1. profile image52

Soooo. Where does the hand shake come in?

2. profile image52

Soooo. Where does the hand shake come in?

2. Eaglekiwi profile image75
        Eaglekiwiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Christ openly rebuked anything done in secret,and abhorred the rank system many religious churches followed and still do.

That is why when he died on that cross ,the curtains in the temple were torn, demonstrating that his people were to become one.......no high priests ,no more secrecy., no more hypocrisy....all of his children were to be equal and to follow the same rules etc.

http://www.gotquestions.org/temple-veil-torn.html

What significance does this torn veil have for us today? Above all, the tearing of the veil at the moment of Jesus' death dramatically symbolized that His sacrifice, the shedding of His own blood, was a sufficient atonement for sins. It signified that now the way into the Holy of Holies was open for all people, for all time, both Jew and Gentile.

When Jesus died, the veil was torn, and God moved out of that place never again to dwell in a temple made with hands (Acts 17:24). God was through with that temple and its religious system, and the temple and Jerusalem were left “desolate” (destroyed by the Romans) in A.D. 70, just as Jesus prophesied in Luke 13:35. As long as the temple stood, it signified the continuation of the Old Covenant. Hebrews 9:8-9 refers to the age that was passing away as the new covenant was being established (Hebrews 8:13).

In a sense, the veil was symbolic of Christ Himself as the only way to the Father (John 14:6). This is indicated by the fact that the high priest had to enter the Holy of Holies through the veil. Now Christ is our superior High Priest, and as believers in His finished work, we partake of His better priesthood. We can now enter the Holy of Holies through Him. Hebrews 10:19-20 says that the faithful enter into the sanctuary by the “blood of Jesus, by the new and living way which he opened for us through the veil, that is, through his flesh.” Here we see the image of Jesus’ flesh being torn for us just as He was tearing the veil for us.

The veil being torn from top to bottom is a fact of history. The profound significance of this event is explained in glorious detail in Hebrews. The things of the temple were shadows of things to come, and they all ultimately point us to Jesus Christ. He was the veil to the Holy of Holies, and through His death the faithful now have free access to God.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/temple-veil … z2NBWK0fMI

1. profile image52

The scripture you shared means nothing to them. If it contradicts what they believe, they believe it was translated incorrectly or it was corrupted teaching that was put in the bible. This church is good at brainwashing there people to think whatever they want them to think..

2. profile image0

Ephesians 4:11 "And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:"
          How can you say that he abhorred a ranking system when he obviously created one? He created the church from the beginning (John 1:1), and reorganized it during his earthly ministry (Matthew 16:18), he commanded the people to keep the Sabbath day holy (Exodus 20:8), he established a system of tithes and offerings and upheld that law during his ministry (Matthew 8: 3)

13. marbegay profile image58
    marbegayposted 11 years ago

You are not worth my time!  You join discussion with the intent to insult people not contribute to it with facts and actual knowledge. Get a life!

1. profile image0

That pretty much describes the OP to a tee.

1. profile image52

Since you want to ignore my other comment. Let me make this comment In the New Testament" New Testament" says that leaders of the church should be the husband of 1 woman I guess Joseph Smith did not want to follow that law and even changed it in his book the book Mormon

Wrong again. Try reading. The book of Jacob in the Book of Mormon.   1 man. 1 women.   You really have things mixed up or you really haven't read it ... Or you didn't pay too much attention.
            Jesus was a Hebrew and a rabbi.  You might find out one day ... That he had more than one wife. So......I imagine he Christ knows  how to run his kingdom.

2. profile image0

Sometimes God sanctions polygamy. Can you deny that Biblically? Nope.

Yes...I agree with onusonus.   Like I said or opus.  It has been practiced. But not in the Book of Mormon

1. profile image52

Your a trooper... willing to be shared for all of eternity... alright.

2. profile image0

By the writer of the book of Mormon?

2. profile image52

Onus... can you deny that the new testament says you can t lead a church and have many wives. Can you deny that? Nope

1. profile image0

Have you ever heard that God made a "new and everlasting covenant" when he reestablished his church through his prophet Joseph Smith? New dispensation, more guidance from prophets, more revelations from Jesus Christ.
              Why weren't the Jews allowed to eat pork, and now it's ok for followers of Jesus Christ to do so? It's the same God giving new instruction to his people.

1. profile image52

for one Jesus establish the church that no one can destroy not even Satan. two. where does it say that we can eat swine? if your talking about the pigs that peter saw. the swine represented the gentle.. telling peter that all can be saved . and to teach the gentle the word of God..

1. profile image0

So you are saying that Christians are supposed to be following the Mosaic dietary laws. I disagree. Although I agree that the symbolism of the swine in Peters dream represents the gospel being preached to the gentiles I also believe that the Scriptures are infinitely deep with wisdom. There is no single interpretation to many of the passages written through Gods prophets.
                  As was stated by Paul to the Romans; "O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!"
                  Clearly it can be argued that the wisdom and statutes of God are greater than that of mankind, and to assert that there is a single man made interpretation of his words without allowing a single other interpretation is immensely shortsighted, and undermines the efforts of every church and Christ centered institution that has risen out of his teachings since the deaths of his original apostles.

1. profile image52

1. Follow the Mosaic law? Who said that?
                    2. You always change your mind. First you say "Why weren't the Jews allowed to eat pork, and now it's ok for followers of Jesus Christ to do so? It's the same God giving new instruction to his people." But know you changed your mind? You and the Mormons always do that.
                    3.Your statement on "There is no single interpretation"  this statement is where cults come from. Hence Mormon! God's Word is unchangeable. Matt 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. .
                    Ps 119:89 For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. .
                    He gave us the bible, The knowledge that he wanted us to know. Like the word Revelation (to reveal)
                    All This extra stuff that the book of Mormon adds is exactly what God meant when he said don’t add to my words.
                    Everything else you said, I don’t know you lost me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)