Over half my views come from just 20% of my hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (23 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Casimiroposted 11 years ago

Anyone ever run the numbers on their views per hubs?

I guess what this says to me is:

1. I should study those more popular hubs to see if there are commonalities that I should focus on for future hubs

2. I should write a LOT more hubs, figuring that I'm going to do a lot of culling of the less popular ones.

Thoughts?

1. Simone Smith profile image88
      Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's typically how it goes! We recommend self-optimizing: building upon themes, formats, and styles of your most successful Hubs and putting less effort toward the types of your Hubs that do not perform well.
      The more one writes, the easier it is to see what works and what doesn't, but that doesn't mean that quantity trumps quality. It's more a matter of finding good opportunities when it comes to subject matter and present competition- things that aren't already getting extensive coverage online but will experience growing interest over time.

2. LCDWriter profile image91
      LCDWriterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you Casmiro.  I'm now trying to sit back and observe and figure out what is working and why.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's a common experience.  Most of my income comes from the top third of my account.

No matter how much keyword research you do, you're still guessing when you write a Hub.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  As you say, it makes sense to look at the Hubs which have done well, look at the search terms to see why they're working, and write more on that topic. 

That's why HubPages is such a good testing ground when you're thinking of blogging but don't have a niche.   You can try out various subjects here and see what works.

1. profile image0
        Casimiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm, that may be true about using HP as a proving ground for a blog, though I find blogging much easier to do than writing an HP article. Still, with HP at least you start out higher than PR0!

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

So, how are your blogs doing? 

I notice two of your blogs are about specific topics, and in those cases, I'd expect writing the blog and getting visitors/making money should be easier than here on HP.  Bear in mind that your sub-domain is judged independently of "big HP" and therefore you're not benefitting directly from the PR of the main site - only from the interlinking.

1. profile image0

The blogs are fine, but they've been running much longer.

What I meant in regards to the PR0 comment was that your subdomain here is leveraging HP's larger presence.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

Only insofar as you get the links in the "related Hubs" and topics sections.  And there is some who feel those links count against as much as for you, because you can have poor quality Hubs showing on your account.  That's why we've seen roller coaster traffic effects on HubPages that you don't get on a blog, and one of the reasons why it's still worth HubPages trying to get rid of the rubbish.

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Casmiro:  I actually chart my daily numbers per group rather than per hub and by month.  It is interesting to see which groups are more popular, etc.  I have some hubs that do really well (for me), but many that just schlep along.  I think this is normal.  It isn't always about search terms...one of my most popular hubs was one of the very first ones I ever wrote, which was well before I knew anything about keywords, etc.  I just happened to hit a nerve with it...got lucky.  I don't know if this helps you or not, but I personally also like analyzing my daily stats page to see what is being read, etc.  I rewrite and update as needed and it really helps.

1. profile image0

That's a good idea about charting it per group. Without even doing that explicitly, I think I can see which of my groups do better than others: ham radio and DIY articles.

I often update, too, especially for bad grammar and better use of keywords, but I'm starting to think my time would be better spent simply writing more hubs, more often. The spaghetti on the wall approach.

1. jaymills profile image72
          jaymillsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Exactly that is pretty much what the article said throw it against the wall and see what sticks. It did say use the same basic idea behind any web writing you know good seo good keywords no lest than 5 to 7 word keywords. But other than that it said keep them short and sweet no more than 500 to 550 words. Out of my 6 hubs 2 have been about local historical figures mainly because it interest me but they where both over 1800 words and one is 2500 kind of like a small book. So what I think what I should have done instead of trying to tell his whole story was focus on just one part. And if there was interest branch out to other parts.

5. jaymills profile image72
      jaymillsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am pretty new to hubpages and just finished my 6th hub so I am still trying to figure it all out. It is much different from blogging where you have allot more freedom on design and content. But I did read an article maybe here or somewhere else that the best way to find a good niche here is to use a kind of shotgun approach and write many hubs on all types of subject and then watch the numbers. It should be quickly evident which subject draw the most interest and then focus on that subject and spread out on that base to cover different aspects of it i.e. let say smartphones then smartphone apps and smartphone covers and so on. My question is is this how most successful hubbers do it? Or was this concept wrong?

1. profile image0

I think the most successful hubbers write a LOT, and/or have honed their SEO skills. I often, but not always, do some keyword research to help decided if 1) the topic is already saturated, at least in the way I intend to approach it, and 2) find good keyword phrases that are valuable and where the competition is not too fierce. I've had mixed results, however, so far.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

jaymills, what you say makes sense, but unfortunately it's not how things happen.  A hub can sit for as long as a year doing poorly then suddenly start getting good numbers.  You have to give it time, which is hard to do.  After a year, you can get a good idea of what is working and what is not...at least that's how it has been for me.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87

The concept is good.  The only comment I'd make is that you need to be patient before deciding what "works" and what doesn't.

In the early days of a Hub, especially once you've gathered a following, a Hub may get good traffic - but that's from other Hubbers, and means nothing.   You want to wait until that early rush has died down, and see whether Google decides your Hub is worth featuring.  That will usually take a few months, during which you'll have to watch to make sure your Hub doesn't fall out of Featured (and become invisible to Google).

2. theherbivorehippi profile image66
    theherbivorehippiposted 11 years ago

Approximately 80 percent of my traffic across all of my profiles comes from ONE hub. smile

1. profile image0

Can we all say "viral!" Way to go! smile

1. theherbivorehippi profile image66
        theherbivorehippiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, it didn't happen suddenly. It's been consistently like this for 3 years.

2. janshares profile image94
      jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ditto, theherbivorehippi, one single hub. I've done similar hubs to see if I can duplicate but for some reason, though, they have not taken off the same. Maybe in time.

3. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years ago

For most people, especially the more hubs you have published, the old 80/20 rule seems to happen.

That is 80% of traffic/views, comes from 20% of your hubs, for those that have not read the old adage before.

1. Paul Maplesden profile image75
      Paul Maplesdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, this is known as 'The Pareto Principle' and is a general 'rule' that states 80% of effect comes from 20% of causes - e.g. 80% of your sales come from 20% of your clients; 80% of your problems come from 20% of your customers etc.

It's not always true (of course) but it is a good rule of thumb in terms of effort vs. reward!

More here for those interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good pickup Paul,

Thats the component I did forget to mention, that it should be treated as a 'rule of thumb'.

2. profile image0

My results are closer to Chris Anderson's Long Tail effect.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)