Suicide, a worse problem than we think.

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (29 posts)
  1. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

People who try to commit suicide shouldn't be able to own guns or knives. I think we can all agree on this.

Smoking causes cancer.
    Cancer kills.
    Smokers shouldn't be allowed to own kitchen knives.

Fast food causes obesity and diabetes.
    Those kill.
    People who eat Taco Bell shouldn't be allowed to own guns or kitchen knives.

Why aren't we trying to save these people from themselves? Half of Americans are trying to kill themselves, slowly, painfully, and expensively. We need to act!

*The real point of this thread is to discuss freedom. When do we let people kill themselves, and when do we lock them up for being insane? Does it have to be something that will kill you within an hour? A day? A week? If someone takes pills, they are suicidal. Poison? Suicidal. Toxins/fats/sugars? We just let them kill themselves?

1. moneyfairy profile image61
      moneyfairyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is all freedom of choice. Part of being American is our freedom. No one will dictate to anyone if they want to eat a juicy cheeseburger or a taco or anything they want. We can't start being militant with peoples food habits but we can show by example what a healthy lifestyle looks like or if you have the capitol to open up your own healthy food chain that would be a start and serve homemade salads and soups instead of burgers and fries. But it's still not going to stop someone who wants to eat junk food. It's their life and their choice. It's their free will!!!! That's just life.

1. profile image0
        JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why do we treat people differently depending on if they are trying to kill themselves slowly, or trying to kill themselves quickly?

1. tsadjatko profile image66
          tsadjatkoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

By the reasoning you put forth (I know it's tongue in cheek) the very act of living can be construed to kill so ALL "of Americans are trying to kill themselves, slowly, painfully, and expensively" JUST BY LIVING.

So nobody should be allowed to own guns or kitchen knives.  Or nobody should be allowed to live. We must attack this problem at the source.  lol

1. profile image0

Nope. Living isn't trying to kill yourself. Oxygen ages, but without it we die, so breathing is an act to try to extend our lives, not shorten them.

2. moneyfairy profile image61

tsadjatko: LOL right on!!!

2. moneyfairy profile image61

We are all going to die eventually but how we choose to live is up to us not anyone else. If we choose to eat taco bell or micke D's or whatever that is our choice. That is why we are a free country. Some may die sooner than others but they have lived how they wanted to live and it's not up to us to choose what existance they have while they are here, otherwise we'd be robots but we're not we are human beings.

1. profile image0

Nobody has answered me yet. Why do we treat people differently when they try to kill themselves quickly then?

Because the ones that try and kill themselves quickly do have some mental/emotional issues either depression or whatever... that need to be treated professionally,whether it be a Dr. or therapist. As opposed to someone who is just living their lives and enjoying the foods and whatever they want and living the best life that they know how and then dying of natural causes rather than someone taking pills or slashing their wrists or hanging themselves.....There is a huge difference, that's why!

1. profile image0

People who eat crap and smoke are clearly depressed, otherwise they wouldn't try to kill themselves.

Either people have the right to kill themselves or not.

Well people do have the right and freedom to do whatever they like...whether it is slowly killing themselves with poor diet and no exercise or quickly doing it by taking a bottle of pills. The difference is that the ones that want to do it quickly are the ones with the worst/more critcal problems then the ones that are not really aware of what they are doing...just enjoying themselves and not being aware.

It is a very sad situation but there is nothing we can do about it. We can try and make people more aware...like warning labels on alcohol etc... but ultimatley it's up to a person taking responsibility for their life and if they choose to induldge in rich delicious yummy tasting foods and ignore the health risks then that is up to them.

2. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well I think people do have the right to kill themselves, I do believe in Euthanasia too, but I think that choice should be taken away from those who are suffering a potentially treatable mental illness or are not yet old enough etc. the problem with the fast methods of suicide (particularly guns) is that often people commit suicide impulsively and without an easy quick method they would not do so, because in just half an hour they may reject the decision and usually go on to live full lives without more attempts.

1. profile image0

What is worse? Someone who harms themselves, or someone who, over the course of decades, harms themselves in a way that burdens the medical system and increases costs for the whole society?

It is more and more clear that smoking indicates a far worse mental disorder than depression.

1. Josak profile image60

Well #1 Smoking is an addictive behavior which many people are largely unable to control, I don't know if you've ever experienced it but kicking that stuff was incredibly difficult for me, I still get cravings more than 20 years later. So using does not indicate mental disorder so much as an addictive disorder.

I am also unsure about which does more harm to society, lung cancer obviously costs the state if it has to help with the treatment but so do failed suicides, also most smokers continue to work, pay taxes etc, until  they are relatively old before they get sick (often never) on the other hand after you kill yourself...

1. profile image0

Most people aren't born with an addiction, so I really have no sympathy for people who blame their addiction. The fact that anyone would smoke a single cigarette shows such blatant disregard for self that it's clearly a mental illness on par with any other method of killing oneself.

This is why we should treat all suiciders the same, don't you think? it all hurts other people in the end.

1. Josak profile image60

I think most modern smokers started up before they knew it was dangerous (I did) also I think obviously we have to separate actions by cause, someone looking to kill themselves solely is different to someone who harms themselves incidentally while attempting to for example relax as a smoker does.  There is a difference between being stupid and being suicidal.

Josak: Exactly!!! Well said!!! "There is a difference between being stupid and being suicidal."

2. Zelkiiro profile image86
    Zelkiiroposted 11 years ago

If you take away my Taco Bell, I'll be the least of your concerns. And also the greatest of them. Simultaneously.

LOL smile

3. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 11 years ago

I believe in the right to suicide, once a person is 18.   It's a morally neutral act when a single individual who is not the financial supporter of anyone else does it.  It's morally wrong when it is done by a breadwinner or caretaker, such as a parent or a child taking care of an elderly parent.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Totally concur.

me too! Everyone has freedom of choice at least in this country. So if you want to off yourself that's your choice too. It's no one elses business but your own. Again we are not Robots but living breathing human beings and we make choices good or bad but they are our choices and no one elses.

2. tsadjatko profile image66
      tsadjatkoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Morally neutral? What if you are in the 1% and want to commit suicide - the left would say you'd be cheating the government of it's fair share! = immoral! - oh but I guess the estate tax makes up for that immoral act?

LOL! smile

2. profile image0
        Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You live by exploitation if you are in the 1%.  There will be death taxes too, and the spouse who gets the money will be paying taxes on goods he/she buys.  I don't know if the spouse gets the investments or not?  If so, they will still pay taxes on them just like the spouse did.  If not, the company will just issue the stocks to someone else who will then pay taxes on them.  I wouldn't be too concerned.  This isn't about the 1% though.

The implication of your argument is also terribly disturbing.  If you pay any amount of sizable taxes to the government at all, you can't kill yourself.  I guess how rich you are determines whether you can morally kill yourself or not!

It's usually the poor people that kill themselves because they can't afford to live anymore, Where as the wealthy can travel anywhere and do anything their hearts desire anytime they choose and have no one to answer to, that is if they are rich and single smile And you know what once you are dead you won't have to worry about taxes or anything anymore because you won't be here,  So that 1% he was talking about  or the taxes you are talking about won't be your problem anymore...so death is an escape for some.

1. profile image0
            Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well his point was that the 1% pay a lot in taxes to the government, and if they die those taxes wouldn't be paid anymore.  That's clearly false.

But you are right about the difference.  People who commit suicide usually have gone through something traumatic in their life, like a soldier with PTSD or a woman that was raped by her father. 

I"m just arguing for the right to kill yourself.

cool! I don't know anything about taxes...hopefully he'll get back to you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)