Explosion Near The Boston Marathon Finish Line

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (47 posts)
  1. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

What a scare.  Someone very close to me works in that area.  He's fine, thankfully.

There is no announcement (if anyone even knows yet) about what caused it, but injuries were very serious.  I wouldn't have even known about it because I don't have television or radio on, but someone let me know I should turn on the TV.  I just thought I'd share this here in case anyone might want to know more about it.  (I'm still shaking even though I've talked to my family member.)

1. Clint Ward profile image59
      Clint Wardposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Looks like it was an attack, we'll see.

Lisa HWposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Right now, Channel 5 Boston is still saying that they're getting "no comment" when they've asked if it was terrorism.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They have no idea yet if it was an accident or deliberate.

They said there were two explosions near buildings NOT linked to the same gas line. One of the explosions seemed to originate from a trash can. I said we'll see.

2. Lisa HW profile image62

Now they're saying they're looking for "secondary devices".

...but then someone just clarified by saying they don't know yet whether there really are/were any devices.

What are the chances that two accidental explosions occurred at the finish line of the Boston marathon?

I'd agree, and I'm not particularly assuming it was "innocent".  It's just that I'm a big stickler for not risking jumping to conclusions without "official" information.   hmm    Right now all I care about is that my family member gets out of that area.

I hope they do.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80

No matter what, people will say it's a conspiracy and the wrong people are being blamed... They are already trying to blame the president.

Not on any news station I am watching, who exactly is blaming the president?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80

Only the wingnuts on some websites.

True, I suppose.  There's always the "wingnuts", no matter what the situation/crisis is.

Correction after original post:   They should consider themselves fortunate to be able to indulge in political foolishness rather than having to worry about having loved ones in that area.  They might want to pay a little more attention to what's actually developing right now and resume their political foolishness once this crisis is over and better understood.

Earlier it was reported that two devices were found and had been dismantled.  Whether that was accurate or not, I don't know.  Now they're saying that there was a third explosion that people heard but that was officials detonating something; but there was also a real third explosion at the JFK library.

1. Gcrhoads64 profile image90
                Gcrhoads64posted 11 years agoin reply to this

++

3. Lisa HW profile image62

Of course, "attack" doesn't necessarily mean "terrorism" as most of us think of it.  They've also raised the possibility of something like "kids throwing pipe bombs in trash cans". Either way, I guess watching to see what goes on will eventually lead to knowing who/what caused it. 

In case anyone's wondering, Logan is still operating.  Boylston Street businesses evacuated.  People are being told to avoid Copley Square.  Boylston being considered a crime scene by police.

4. Peggy W profile image95
    Peggy Wposted 11 years ago

Very sad situation.  A friend called me and told me to flip on TV.  I have not done so yet because undoubtedly it will be plastered all over the news channels for the rest of the night and perhaps for days to come.  More accurate information will be forthcoming as time progresses.  I am just sad for all of the injured people and their loved ones.  Hope they determine the cause soon and eliminate the possibility of any more damage than what has already transpired.

5. profile image0
    GavNugentposted 11 years ago

News reports claim authorities have carried out a controlled explosion on a 3rd device, and there has been 2 deaths. Undoubtedly more information will come to light as time goes on.

6. Lisa HW profile image62

OK.  For anyone not watching, it's now being announced that "these were bombs of some kind".

7. Lisa HW profile image62

I know there's Twitter, Facebook, TV, etc. etc.; but I thought this was worth posting on here as well...

People in the area are being asked not to use their cell phones because there's concern that doing so could possibly set off other devices.

1. rebekahELLE profile image83
      rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for posting this. My brother and nephews work downtown close to the area.  No one is answering phones.  Maddening..

Besides my son, I have someone else close who works at Downtown Crossing.   Right now (or at least as recently as, maybe, an hour ago or so; they've asked people not to use their cell phones because of the possibility they might potentially set off another device).  So, those of us waiting to hear that people are home again aren't, as far as I can guess, likely to hear from them until/unless they're away from the area.

It doesn't help that the Green line has been stopped, and they're saying that the Red and Orange lines will be "bypassing" downtown.  I think a lot of people who haven't already left are going to slowed down when it comes to getting home.

8. Gcrhoads64 profile image90
    Gcrhoads64posted 11 years ago

And here come the conspiracy theory profiteers.
    http://www.salon.com/2013/04/15/alex_jo … alse_flag/

1. profile image0
      GavNugentposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Its far too early for anyone to speculate the cause of the explosions or who might be behind this incident. Its too early, even for the nutjobs.

1. Gcrhoads64 profile image90
        Gcrhoads64posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's never too early to profit from a tragedy. sad

1. profile image0

Oh, I agree with you there, unfortunately!

9. Clint Ward profile image59
    Clint Wardposted 11 years ago

3rd explosion reported at JFK library.

10. Clint Ward profile image59

They have a "person of interest" in custody, who knows what that even means.

11. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

The cell network is down right now, probably to disrupt triggers for any other devices.

12. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

It's like they hit the two things most important to people in Boston; the marathon and JFK.

It seems so.

"Officials have stopped cell phone service in the city of Boston".

Now (7:46 p.m.) they're saying that it's looking less and less likely that the "issue" at the JFK library was connected the other stuff.  They even mentioned the possibility of something accidental on that one explosion/fire (whatever it was that happened there).

13. Clint Ward profile image59

April is a big deal for domestic terrorists. Not saying that is what is going on just thought I would mention it.

14. Clint Ward profile image59

I just read that the person of interest is a Saudi National, again just reporting what I see.

I haven't heard a word about that at all.  I've been watching Boston's WCVB.    I did turn off the sound for a few minutes while I talked to my kids' father (who knew nothing about any of it because he's at work), but that was only for - like - five minutes.

Now they're reporting officers at the Brigham and Womens hospital, with automatic weapons.  The news woman is saying it appears to be "stepped up security" (rather than just interviewing victims).   (I'm just doing "highlights" because I've been doing nothing but sitting here with the television on.  I have nothing better to do until it's no longer "an ongoing situation" (as news and officials have called it).

Note:   Oh..   I just went and looked for it and found it.  I'm glad you posted that here.  That could potentially explain the stepped up security at Tufts (hospital) and the Brigham (where there's now a SWAT team presence).

15. rebekahELLE profile image83
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

My brother just called.  They're all fine. He's home now and took the train, but he said now the trains are closed which is going to leave a lot of commuters stranded.  He said there were police at each stop. He works in the financial district which is about a mile away from the explosion.  They didn't hear any explosions, but soon heard about it. 

Lisa, I hope your family is ok. 

All we'll hear for a while is a lot of speculation.

Good to know your brother is back home.   smile

My son's pretty close there, and his girlfriend works at Downtown Crossing.  They're now saying there's no immediate threat at Tufts, that absolutely everyone who tries to go through North Station is going to be stopped and checked, and essentially that a whole lot of people aren't going to be able to get away from the area awfully quickly.

I'm assuming there must be some kind of systematic, but slowing-down, process by which they'll be moving, or allowing to move, people who need to leave the city.     

Now the police commissioner just said that reports of someone in custody are not true.  He said they have nobody in custody at this time.  They also mentioned that people "shouldn't read anything into" the stepped up security around the hospitals.

16. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 11 years ago

This is crazy. I thought we'd beefed up our security so this kind of thing wouldn't happen?

Did you really think it would prevent this type of thing?

17. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

It's kind of hard to stop someone smuggling in a device the size of a loaf of bread into a 5 miles square area containing 300,000 people.

18. profile image0
    GavNugentposted 11 years ago

"Police Commissioner Ed Davis says the area around the finish line will be closed for 24 hours while police investigate. He adds that reports police have a suspect in custody are inaccurate."

19. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

What a tragedy.  Hopefully there are cameras which caught the act.  Latest news I just heard was that the operation seemed very amateurish as reported by local radio.  I am 50 or so miles from Boston.

Obama is talking on the radio as I type!  This should not be a moment to make political points, which he did not.  He spoke like a leader!

1. habee profile image90
      habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I thought so, too, from what little I heard.

2. profile image0

Agreed, he spoke calmly and clearly. A message of reassurance to the people of Boston.

3. Reality Bytes profile image74
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

To let everyone know how close some things can get.  I just checked my FB to see a post from my daughter that was in Boston today at the Red Sox game, not far away.  She is fine, just a little freaked out.

Carpe Diem

Glad you heard from her and she's OK.  That's the thing:  They were saying that besides the holiday  (Patriots Day for people outside the "Patriots Day" area) - and people having time off work to be in the city) and the Marathon, there was the Red Sox game.

My people are out of that area now.  I just got the text.  (Maybe now I can go do something productive.  hmm  )

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)