Driving Pinterest Traffic With MFP Images

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (28 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 11 years ago

I posted this a year or so ago, but I thought I'd repost for those who were interested in drawing Pinterest traffic. Using this method my highest pinned hub has around 43,000 pins, with my second highest being around 29,000. The rest of my hubs vary, depending on topic and Google traffic. 

I call these MFP (Made For Pinterest) images. They're simple to make:
    -Find an image that you are allowed to use with alterations (remember copyright!)
    -Use your own graphic editing program or Picasa or Picmonkey to change it as you wish.
    -Add a teaser or the title of your hub to the image.
    -Place this image at the top right of the hub.

How does it pull traffic?
    -It has the double attraction of containing a link to information AND being a nice image.
    -You can pin it to Pinterest yourself.
    -People who visit your hub and want to bookmark it will pin it to their own Pinterest boards.
    -The teaser makes people want to click through and read more if the topic interests them.

Here is a mockup example:
    http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/734001_10151639832045832_1919699124_n.jpg

Does this breach Hubpages watermark rules?
    When I emailed Hubpages, they did not give a yes or no answer. However they did say that as long as the image was high quality and the text compliments the image instead of detracts from it, it usually is not an issue.

1. Simone Smith profile image86
      Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much for sharing this tip, WryLilt! Fabulous advice.

About our watermark rules: We consider watermarks to be URLs, brand names, names and logos. If images have captions or titles placed on them, they're fine on the moderation front- we do NOT consider those to be watermarks.

We love to see people making Pinterest-friendly images like this. big_smile Thanks again!

WryLiltposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the clarification Simone smile I do know that last time a few people were a little hesitant about using these types of images for that reason.

2. quicksand profile image81
      quicksandposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi WryLilt, I have not had much luck with Pinterest although I created images using Paint.net (specially for Pinterest) which differ from the images I've placed on my HubPages articles. Nevertheless I have not given up. I wont! smile

Quicksand, from a quick look at your hubs I think your problem is that your images are just one colour and text!

Pinterest is about vibrant and interesting images - have a browse and see the types of pins that are getting lots of repins.

3. profile image0
      Deomar Pandanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

Ah, in that case this method will come in even more handy then wink

People who would be less likely to click because of such changes will still be more likely to click if the picture has a teaser that grabs their interest!

Edit: Do you mean the "Website" button at the top of each pin? Even with that, clicking the image still takes me to the original site?

1. profile image0
          Deomar Pandanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. ktrapp profile image93
            ktrappposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am using the new version of Pinterest and when I view the enlarged versions of images, there is a "website" button. Either clicking on the large image or "website" button takes me to the source website.

2. Parallels profile image66
        Parallelsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Awesome method. I had stayed away from Pinterest because I didn't really understand how to use it to my advantage like this.

3. nArchuleta profile image74
        nArchuletaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for posting this. It never even occured to me. I've already posted most of my articles to Pininterest, but from now on I'm going to add the text.

4. Louise Lately profile image60
        Louise Latelyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

WryLit - do you have any good tips on how to add text to your images? What software do you think is best to use?

4. Astra Nomik profile image64
      Astra Nomikposted 11 years ago

I am a big fan of Pinterest and it is good and very active. I am always amazed how many people are there repinning what I pin in it. I learned how to create "MFP" pictures from a lady here on Hub Pages called Cheeky Girl, who uses photoshop a lot to make great graphics for her hubs. This is an excellent thread. And yes, watermarks are dodgy for here as they can be seen as urls or brands, that might be protecting their work, so people generally don't use them here. However there should be a way to somehow "mark" hubs so they cannot be stolen or copied. (That's another topic for another hub thread.)

5. profile image0
      Beth37posted 11 years ago

Oh my word, I have one follower on pinterest, and that's b/c he took pity on me. First I have to figure out how to get some followers before I can drive traffic to my site. lol

If you use this method you technically don't even need a Pinterest account wink

1. nArchuleta profile image74
          nArchuletaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The images on your pages are so beautiful, Beth37. I could see this technique really working for you.

6. ktrapp profile image93
      ktrappposted 11 years ago

WryLit -  I appreciate you starting a thread that offers truly helpful advice. Your positive tone is like a breath of fresh air. smile

I recently was reading a test that a food blogger that gets a lot of traffic did, testing to see if images with writing on them outperformed images without writing, on Pinterest. In their case, since they start with magnificent photos in the first place, adding text didn't show an advantage. That's not to say that other people's images with text on them, like your example, won't do well, it's just in their case, it wasn't necessary.

So, sometimes a fabulous mouth-watering photograph of food, for example, might be good enough. Glimmer Twin Fan's peanut butter pound cake comes to mind. I recently saw it on the "popular" page of Pinterest and if you look at the Hub it now has over 50K views!
      http://glimmertwinfan.hubpages.com/hub/ … ake-Recipe

With words or without words added to an image, keeping Pinterest viewers in mind when selecting/creating high quality MFP images is excellent advice.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image91
        Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would think it would depend on the image.  A photo of a food item implies that there is a recipe attached.  Photos of crafts probably imply that directions to make it can be obtained by clicking a link.  But other things - like financial stuff probably need words to explain what kind of information is on the link.

7. earner profile image81
      earnerposted 11 years ago

Two quick questions, if I may.

1] You said "Find an image that you are allowed to use with alterations (remember copyright!)". 
      Do you then attribute the image as yours, or to the originator?  I presume it's then 'yours'  I had peeked at your hubs yesterday and was coveting how many images you had that are yours..... now I know how you did that smile

2] You said: "Place this image at the top right of the hub".
      When I first arrived, tests considered that one should leave the top right spot available for ad placements, which is why I split my first chunk into two, placing an image in the second module so the top right is available for Adsense.  I guess the answer to this is you're making a choice: Potential Adsense clicks -v- potential Pinterest traffic which might lead to a lower CTR, but overall higher clicks due to increased traffic.

All the best.

1. Morguefile recently changed its rules so they are stricter than they were before, but here they are: http://morguefile.com/about

2. Yes. Top right is prime real estate, so put whatever you think is the most likely to bring you money; whether that's an Adsense advert, an MFP or Amazon capsule.

1. earner profile image81
          earnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the clarification.

There are always new developments in the marketplace to keep up with .... and more tweaks needed for optimising hubs smile

All the best.

I would add in my own little "tip" - I am a bit of an obsessional record-keeper.  When using images I try to create a hidden text module in each hub at the end that tells me where I got images from and I copy./paste the license into that module.  This is so I feel sure I've used them correctly and can refer back if I ever need to smile

For those that haven't spotted it, you can have a hidden text moule by ticking a little tickbox in the top right hand corner of the text module when it is in edit mode.

1. DreamerMeg profile image80
              DreamerMegposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. I always wondered why anyone would want to write a "hidden" module - what a good idea. smile

8. yupperclub profile image61
      yupperclubposted 11 years ago

I do not understand why people are so hungry to force traffic.  Just stick with hubpages methods and receive traffic naturally.  It is a better way to determine if your hub was really worth the effort or if it must be revised, requiring more work.  The idea is to improve writing skills...not just get "traffic."

Patti

"Hubpages methods"? Hubpages is in favour of any way that optimises your traffic, whether it's on page or off page SEO, branding or other ways of drawing traffic. Hubpages is a business. You won't "receive traffic naturally" unless you have a bit of an idea of how to set up your content to GET traffic.

You may be here to write, but most other people are here to be READ and some are even here to make MONEY.

Hear, hear.
          smile

I am here to make money - the writing's lovely .... but I need an income to live.

And - I need to learn these tips/tricks as I work in SEO and offer web content writing and online webshop product description writing to companies..... and everything I know that "tweaks" results is a win!

9. Louise Lately profile image60
      Louise Latelyposted 11 years ago

Great tip!! many thanks

10. yupperclub profile image61
      yupperclubposted 11 years ago

What's the point?  Traffic NUMBERS are not that important...it's the quality of the traffic you receive...what are you trying to accomplish with your 43,000 pins?  Are you a VODOO DOLL?

Define quality of traffic? If you mean traffic that makes me money then yes, I'd say that Pinterest is very high quality traffic.

1. Louise Lately profile image60
          Louise Latelyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wry Lit - I totally agree.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)