Why does losing one number of your Hubber Score...

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (63 posts)
  1. Cantuhearmescream profile image76
    Cantuhearmescreamposted 11 years ago

...Feel like you've been stripped of your clothes and thrown into the middle of a busy intersection?
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7912886_f248.jpg

1. damian0000 profile image61
      damian0000posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't let it bother me Cat.

Generally, if I get more views my Hubber score seems to go down and vice-versa... it's a very imprecise science smile

Cantuhearmescreamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Really? I never noticed myself... yeah, maybe that's it, maybe my score's going down because my traffic is exploding ;-)
        Thanks for the support damian0000!
        Cat

2. moonlake profile image81
      moonlakeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have noticed this happening it's either at a stand still or going down. I'm not sure why if it's views that cause it mine are up. It's really a mystery but I have noticed when I remove people I am follower for reasons like they aren't on Hubpages anymore or have not been here for 5 years my score drops. My score use to stay up around 96 now it's down to 92. I know the score is not suppose to mean much but you have to wonder what is going on and it's makes a person wonder what they are doing wrong. If it doesn't mean anything why not get rid of it.

moonlake,
        I know exactly what you mean. I don't stress about the scores but you do have to wonder what it is that's knocking it down, especially when your behavior hasn't changed dramatically.

2. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 11 years ago

Don't worry about your hubber score.  There's a secret formula for it that no one ones or understands.  lol  I can have increased views, and it plummets.  Other times, I can have no movement (and not write for months), and it increases.  lol  Enjoy the ride!!  smile

Beth100,
      Thanks! It just makes me feel like I'm being punished, like I've done something wrong. I spend so much time on HP that my kids don't recognize me anymore :-)
      I guess there is a common opinion that "no one understands it; no rhyme or reason".
      I will and am enjoying the ride! Thanks
      Cat

Cat...

I've been on Hub-Pages for 3 years but didn't touch it for almost 2... my score remained about constant in low 80s for time of my absence and then I got my interest back, wrote a few hubs and the score shot up to 96, no idea how that happened...! I think it is fairly random, hub-scores.

I would just try to write good-quality hubs and get followers and the rest will follow.

One thing I have noticed is that if you are overly promotional in your hubs/forums or you suddenly decide to follow 100 new people in one day, your score will get pulled down dramatically but you don't do that, so there is nothing to worry about --- just keep on doing what you are doing and it will come :-)

Damian0000,
          Good quality hubs? ...Oh boy am I in trouble!
          That stinks about the following people. If I get 3 new followers a day, I'm afraid to follow them back, even if they are people that I would genuinely be interested in following, because I have heard that before. I feel rude, leaving people hanging like that.
          Thanks buuuudy!
          Cat

Cat

Noooooooo...... don't do that!!
            If you want to follow people, do it --- maybe you read a lot of people on one particular day and get inspired and want to follow 50 new people --- I don't think it is problem.
            I was talking about the really obvious people who have joined 5 days ago, written 1 hub but are following 500 people (in the hope, of course, that those people will immediately follow back).
            Or the people who blatantly leave links to their hubs all over other peoples' hubs or forums.
            I think you have to mess up really, really badly in that area for it to affect your hub-score so don't let yourself be inhibited!

damian0000,
              I do have a couple of people that have followed me that I have never seen here before, they've never stopped at any of my hubs, at least as far as I can see, and they don't leave fan mail (explaining why the follow). I don't get it.
              Also, I had this one guy comment on about 3 of my hubs last night and he says something like "I agree... so check out my hub "bla bla bla" and left the same link on each of my hubs? Really?
              Thanks I guess I'll just relax and be freeeeee!
              Cat

I would delete those comments Cat... apart from anything, I think it's pretty rude to leave links to another person's hub in your comments and especially if you don't know them.

If I read somebody's hub with a load of links then I probably wouldn't be too impressed and stop reading stuff by that writer because generally the links are just about boosting traffic to their own site and not relevant to the hub itself.

Plus if other people see it's easy to leave links on your hubs and that you are getting lots of comments... then for sure, it will start to increase.

damian0000,
                  I thought about deleting them, but there again, feared I would appear rude. You're right though, he was the rude one. Quite frankly, it made me feel like he didn't give a rat's bottom about my hub and probably didn't even read it, just used me as an opportunity to promote himself.
                  Good point... now if only I can remember what hubs he commented on ;-)
                  Thanks
                  Cat

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
            mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is fine to follow people in small amounts at a time if you like what they write about. The problems start with people who suddenly follow ten or twenty people plus at a time, and all within minutes of each other (no way they could have read their stuff in that time).

mistyhorizon2003,
              Well, I should be okay then :-)
              I can't understand why some people follow you that you've never seen before and there is no evidence they have ever even visited your pages. Thanks for the advice!

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
                mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

In many cases (as others have said here) these people only follow you in order to get you to follow them back. I have long since stopped following people back unless I like the look of the topics they write about.

I would at least like to see a couple of hubs that catch my interest. When I see someone only writes about how to fix electronics, it might as well be a page full of Spanish hubs because it doesn't mean anything to me. I would feel guilty following someone that I had no intentions on reading any of their hubs.

1. profile image0
                    rmcmillenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Amen to that..... if at least half (or more) of the person's hubs don't seem like they would be at least mildly interesting there is little to no chance I will follow them.... luckily almost all the hubs from the people I am following are right up my alley, so it all kinda works out.

3. SidKemp profile image86
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

Hi Scream!

I know the feeling. For me, I have an inner child who is all about accolades and recognition. Honestly, I don't know if I would have stayed in HubPages through the first three months without those early accolades. Now, accolades come rarely, and my inner kid wants my Hubber Score to stay at 100!

My inner kid only likes pizza and ice cream, too. I'm teaching him to appreciate my love and care and be okay when he doesn't get what he wants.

Meanwhile, as an adult, I've figured out a good formula of activities for keeping my Hubber Score high. And I see it mostly corresponds with page views, and page views are closely linked to revenue. So I keep it high. You can learn most of how I do it by reading my hub about how I got a Hubber Score of 99 - make that 100. Keys are commenting, writing good hubs, and providing good answers. Hub-hopping helps, too.

But Matt Meyers of the HubPages staff warns that there is a random element in the score - one that I think can make a 3-point difference - just to keep us on our toes.

SidKemp,
      I can defintely relate... I spend so much time at this place, I feel like I should be joining a self-help over hubber's anonymous group or something... When numbers go down I feel like "What? What'd I do?" :-)
      Well, I certainly do my fair share of commenting so it must be my poorly written hubs :-(
      I hub hop, but how much is enough?
      I will absolutely get over to that hub of yours and thanks for the comments and support!
      Cat

1. SidKemp profile image86
        SidKempposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Scream:

My apprenticeship program group was actually called Hubaholics Anonymous. I guess it didn't work - I'm still addicted. But it's a very conscious addiction.

Between hub hopping (old hopper) and commenting, I leave 10 comments a day. I used to do 10 answers a day, too, but now I only do Q&A when I feel like it. I'm just starting to do a little on the forums. I do report technical problems very clearly (and yes, that can boost your Hubber score). I don't always publish a hub every 2 weeks, but I'm trying to remedy that. I think a hub a week is probably a good ideal minimum to keep one's score up.

The next step is the quality of writing - you're right on target about that. Right now, I've got a lot going on, but I will look at your hubs when I write about Hubber score - not mention your name, but make some suggestions back to you.

SidKemp,
          Hubaholics, really? Too funny. I tried to get into the apprenticeship program but alas it is on hold. By the time they open its doors again, they will probably know me to well to let me in ;-)
          I try to be very conscious about reading several hubs a day, leaving many comments, hub hopping, answering questions and popping in the forums and honestly, not really with scores in mind but because they are things that are grabbing my attention. I love the community and there is more to read on here than any human could ever get to.
          Don't rush to get over to my little humble hubs, they aren't life-changing, that for sure!
          I appreciate all the help! Thanks

4. profile image0
    rmcmillenposted 11 years ago

Yeah Cat, when my score went down to 78 after reaching near mid 80's I almost tossed my computer out my 8 story window..... I was seriously close to going "Goodfellas" on it and mind you I reached that 80something 2 weeks after being on HP. I've been a member 3 years, but only started using it at all about 3 and a half or 4 weeks ago.

Hey stranger ;-)
      But see... yours will be shooting up (and I'm getting over there to ya!)
      Cat

1. profile image0

I'll be there, waiting patiently as ever.... until my traffic jumps up.... than I will feverishly be hitting refresh as HP takes hours to update the traffic it says it tries to update every hour ;-)

Hi R McMillen... you can make that 2 followers now :-)

I read your piece about the movies, it was really interesting and I like your sense of humour!
          Just for the point that you mentioned you would like to increase traffic and followers : --- I have to say that there is a lot of information in there, maybe enough for 3 or 4 hubs.
          You could maybe try and break it up with one or two pictures also cos it looks like a big block of text to read, people --- including me, are very lazy and rarely would make it to end.
          Anyway... all meant in the best possible way, I like your style of writing and I hope your traffic picks up :-)

1. profile image0

Damian- thanks for not only the kind words, but the fan add and advice as well..... While I may not take all the advice given (prob. cause I'm just too danged hardheaded and stubborn) it is always welcomed. After all, I am newer here and how else will I learn (which I will........ In time)

1. profile image0

Also, I hope you and Sid will remember to tweet, pin, Facebook and do just about everything else to my hubs cause you can expect me to do the same my minions......... er.... um...... I mean my friends ;-)

2. Cantuhearmescream profile image76

rmcmillen,
              See, that was my master plan all along, I created this entire forum, not for me but for you to gain followers... wasn't that selfless of me?
              Damian is probably on to something with the picture thing... you've got to remember you're dealing with a visual-hungar society and we're simple... pictures hold us there when we start to get overwhelmed with those word things.
              Cat

1. profile image0

I would say that was a kind, wonderful and selfless  thing you did........ if I thought this was the case ;-). I am still somewhat new to Hub.... how do I get pictures INTO the hub and not onto the side? I am working on something and wondering if that is possible?

1. profile image0

mainly I think I just hijacked your quaint little thread here...... may stick around and raid the booze cabinet.

What do you mean into and not onto the side? There are capsules up in the right hand corner of the hub when you're editing/creating a hub. You click picture and it gives you 3 different options of how to import/upload them. You can keep it big or have it shifted off to the side. When you're still in edit mode, the gray bar at the top of your capsule will have arrows on it that will let you shift your picture to the side or up/down. Is that what you're talking about?

1. profile image0

I guess so.... my pics like those found with captions in "A Call To Arms... Sort Of" are off to the side.... I was wanting to create an article with pics within/among the text, so that will hopefully work.... as always you are a godsend Cat.... but that's no surprise.

rmcmillen,
          There did you see a jump in views? I just read and commented on one of your hubs, voted on it too. You should be racking in the big bucks now!
          Cat

1. profile image0

WOOHOO!!!!!

5. profile image0

I'm just waiting for that first fan/follow ;-)

Stop crying, you got three today, that's three more than I did. Boo Mark-Freakin-Harmon hoo!
      ;-)
      Cat

1. profile image0

It's catching on! I could kiss ya!

I could............ but I wont........ but I could..........................

But still wont ;-)

hehehehe... ;-)
          You're about the only one... my pages appear to be frozen in time and no one is seeking my friendship... :-(
          It'll be okay ....

1. profile image0

It happens to the best of us................... I am saying this of course because it happens to me all the time and have a bit of an ego problem ;-)

rmcmillen,
              Well how can you not when people don't even know you're here? Maybe it's time for a controversial hub... sure you might piss off some people, but I bet you'll gain some followers that share your view :-)
              When I say you, I mean me. :-)

1. profile image0

I am all about controversial..... I just tend to write better when its something that trips my trigger.... entertainment, multiple things retro, politics..... just hard to write about that last one because much of it tends to be time sensitive..... any ideas on what I could write about? hit me up privately.... I am always up for ideas.... esp. good ideas like yours.

Honestly,I think entertainment works for you... entertainment always does relatively well because society can't live without it. The traffic might go up and down, but it will come up again. Politics always seems to get traffic to, but I try to tread lightly there. As soon as you start talking politics... someone way smarter comes along... I can't run with the big dogs :-)

6. Theophanes profile image88
    Theophanesposted 11 years ago

I never really paid too much attention. The number appeared one day and I was like,"Huh.... what's up with the number?" and I watched it, sometimes it went up, other times it went down. Eventually it just became something to screw with when I was bored. I find answering a lot of questions helps, more so than anything else. And if your answer is selected as best you're golden. I started to doing that just for my own weird amusement (I actually didn't care what my number was) but now I just like doing it. It's fun. Keeps the cogs in my head going 'round and it's good to fraternize with the community.

Basically don't let it bother you. You could have a certain score one day because a fortune cookie took favor on you. We just don't know.

Theophanes,
      Yeah the lady with a 100 says "I never really paid too much attention" ha ha ha. :-)
      I'm not really fixated on my number, but I do feel like I spend so much of my time on here, being involved in all aspects of the community, that when it goes down I'm thinking "what the heck do they want from me?" I think it might have to do with my obsessive need to be perfect and maybe a few insecurities... hehehe.
      Well, all I have to say is you've certainly earned your 100 and I'll sit humbly, appreciating the 93 that I have.
      Thanks girl!
      Cat

1. profile image0

YOU spend to much time on here? I downloaded the danged phone app so I could check my score and traffic more often!

1. Theophanes profile image88
          Theophanesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have the app too... I use it when I am out and about, bored, and need some flattery from any comments coming in. wink Actually that's what brought me back to HubPages. I joined five years ago, wrote a little but couldn't figure out how to get the ad thing to work and left for more than three years. I came back out of curiosity and I had a TON of comments. Suffice to say I got the ads working and haven't stopped writing since...

Well thank goodness for that! I couldn't imagine the Hub without ya! :-)

7. profile image0

Ok.... so I have a question for those in the thread, and than I promise I will shut up so we can get back to Cat's slight Hub Score addiction ;-) . I am asking it here, mainly because you are the only ones that can put up with me. Does anyone have Google Analytics synched up with their accounts? What's its function? Does it ever help to bring in traffic, or just help to review where your traffic is coming from?

rmcmillen,
      Don't shut up... how long do I need to be a whiny, wet cat for? My crying's over! Ask away....
      Yes?
      It's function is to show you how much traffic you're getting, where it is coming in from... where it is going to once it gets to your pages... how long people are staying... etc..
      I don't think it has anything to do with bringing in traffic but it helps you to understand when/where/why you're getting traffic, you know, like trends... so that you can keep doing what's working and fix what's not. Get my drift?

1. profile image0

See that right there Paradigm? That's one of the many reasons I hang around Cat....... she seems to have the answer to all my problems..... and I am lazy so going to a one stop shop for answers is right down my alley.... beats trying to hunt down an answer for countless hours.

I'm probably no less lazy than you, but when you have no one reading your hubs, ... you have time on your hands to play in the forums and answer questions :-(

2. profile image0

That and to make the occasional dirty comment when she says stuff like "Wet Cat"..... but this time I will leave it be.

hahahaha

8. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Let us start over. What is one's inquiry?

1. profile image0

I noticed an option to connect my hub user with a Google Analytics account, you can do the same for making money with ebay or amazon, I was wondering what one would use Google Analytics for...is it used to simply track traffic or can it also be used in any way to boost that very same traffic in one way or another? I created an Analytics account and connected it with my account here, but still not sure what difference, if any it will make..... that's all.

9. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 11 years ago

Scores mean nothing. They are simply there to stop spammers getting high quality links and encourage community interaction.

Anything over 90 and you'll likely be stuck in the 90s forever. Doesn't have anything to do with traffic or money though. wink

1. profile image0

Good to know on that end.

WryLilt,
      That's always good to hear. I guess when you give a lot of time here, you'd like to know it's recognized. When my score drops I feel like HP is saying "YOU'RE NOT DOING GOOD ENOUGH!" :-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)