Would you rather have a business owner or lawyer for president?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (53 posts)
  1. andrew savage profile image58
    andrew savageposted 10 years ago

What are the pros and cons of the two?

1. bBerean profile image59
      bBereanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Did they ever actually do one of those jobs, or just teach about them?

andrew savageposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Rule out the ones that did not actually work. I believe I was referring to those of action rather than those who simply speak.

Then I choose the businessman.  If successful, he has proven he knows how to hire and manage lawyers.  You can't be successful in major business these days without that.  Lawyers, on the other hand, may have no knowledge or resources to bring to the table for what the businessman knows.  Business is all about doing what you know and knowing what you don't know so you can hire it out.  How many attorneys do you know who have any idea that there is anything they don't know?  Just sayin'.  wink

Also, to be successful a good business makes everyone as happy as possible...employees, customers, vendors and suppliers, etc.  This is what it takes to succeed.  Lawyers are all about winning for themselves and whoever hired them, regardless of what that does to the other side, because the other side is not their concern.  It is by necessity and design, more of a winner take all mindset.

2. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think someone who has a historian (not Newt) background so we don't continue making the same mistakes in this insane government!

1. psycheskinner profile image82
        psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Okay so a pig ballerina historian is the consensus candidate.

Clearly I was mistaken about Maxwell.  It looks like this is Napoleon, putting an appropriate modern twist on the old classic, by donning a tutu.

1. profile image0
            Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

*donning.
            And I thought you were perfect. smh

Yikes!  You got me.  Now I have a little voice on one shoulder telling me there is time to edit, while on the other shoulder I hear "own it".  Where are the blushing emoticons when you need them?

1. profile image0

If you blush I'll call you on that too. Men don't blush. You should just edit and then call me a loser. I have low self esteem. I'm ok with that.

Now the two voices are yelling at me!  What a quandary.  I expect to hear from the peanut gallery about referencing the voices now, don't you think? lol, (literally)

1. profile image0

There is no shame in homophones, only in blushing.

2. Shawn McIntyre profile image82
                  Shawn McIntyreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

People are stopping in the halls and staring at me in my office now because of you. I literally did a spit-take and laughed way harder than I should've at that.

Thanks for brightening my day. smile

1. profile image0

lol... There's nothing better than a good spit take. smile

3. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Looking at the last 42 men that have held the office of President of the United States, narrowing it down to just the men that have held the office since the dawn of the 20th century, I don't see a business background as giving the occupant any advantage in doing a better job in the office. Conservatives always say such would be the case, but I am reminded of Ross Perot and Mitt Romney. The characteristics that made the difference between a great president and an mediocre or unsuccessful one are personal traits that do not seem related to their occupation prior to assuming the office.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I would rather have a doctor or an architect.

andrew savageposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Those sound like good alternatives, but I gave the two choices: business person or lawyer, because these two occupations seem to breed the most presidential candidates.

I would vote for an architect- if he served in the military.

1. psycheskinner profile image82

IMHO it is like asking if you would rather ride a pig or a goat.

This is going south fast.  You have conjured up a dancing pig in a tutu for me now, and somehow it is tied to the nutcracker melody....

1. profile image0

I'm pretty sure most Americans would vote for a dancing pig in a tutu over a lawyer any day.

Hey, they buy insurance from Maxwell don't they?  In fact, I think it might be him in the tutu!

1. profile image0

I have no idea who Maxwell is. I like to keep my mind clear of too much info that might cloud my creative skills.

Check out Maxwell the pig on youtube for Geico insurance.

1. profile image0

Oh. lol... I thought maybe it was a political statement... looks like I don't have to hang my head in shame after all.

So long as the pig is native-born he can be VP. He would rake in the chauvinists and the bunny huggers.  Win/win.

1. profile image0

Who said the pig was male? That's what's wrong with America today... always thinking their pigs have to be males.

Only because I pictured Maxwell.   As far as I know he is not a male chauvinist pig.

1. profile image0

Oh we walked right into that one.

3. Quilligrapher profile image73
              Quilligrapherposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Beth,

I am opposed to a dancing pig as president. It would only mean more pork in congressional legislation
              http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg

1. profile image0

These are terrible jokes. Y'all are bacon me angry.

1. innersmiff profile image66
                  innersmiffposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This really rinds me up and I ham not amused.

1. profile image0

Porque?

3. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

I would like a ballerina.

1. janesix profile image61
      janesixposted 10 years agoin reply to this

me too

1. janesix profile image61
        janesixposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Two votes for ballarina. i think I see a clear winner here.

I want to change my answer to ballerina too

1. profile image0

Bam, she's in.

4. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 10 years ago

An independent businessman, knowledgeable in world trade.

5. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

A businessman would be a terrible president. After all, don't businessmen make it their--ahem--business to sell what they own to the highest bidder?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Are we not sold down the river every day by the lawyers anyway?  At least the businessmen might get a decent price.

6. profile image0
    delleaposted 10 years ago

I agree with that one, and I thought that Ross Perot deserved a shot back in the day. Everyone made fun of his ears, his height, his age, and his charts... but you know what? He was the ONLY guy I ever remember running for president who was actually trying to show us Americans what was wrong with government finances and the economy BEFORE winning the presidency... and if you hunt for Ross Perot's videos on Youtube you'll see that the guy had some pretty smart ideas and deserved much more credit than he ever got. I think the worst part about the presidency today is that it may be even more of a beauty contest than voting for a president... and also keep in mind that the smarter people on this planet don't necessarily look like Barbie or Ken dolls...

Many would argue that by drawing in many right leaning moderates, Perot's run cost Bush re-election.  If so, Perot had a major impact on history.

7. profile image0
    delleaposted 10 years ago

Perot did have an impact on history as you said, but my overall point was that if Perot was elected president back then, his ideas may have well gotten America back on track and most likely would've been reducing our national debt, versus the other presidents that have purposely digging us deeper election after election.

1. Credence2 profile image78

Perot speaks of a scenario that was not probable. The President is not a CEO, laying down the law from on high. Skills at negotiation and communication, compromise are far more important, Lyndon Johnson comes to mind. If it were not for Vietnam, he certainly would have been considered a better than average president.

Negotiation and communication, compromise, all seem to have died in the last decade.  The only thing that matters is pushing your party agenda; compromise is unthinkable any more and there is nothing to negotiate.  Either accept MY assessment and proposal or you're wrong and a scumbag to boot.

Maybe we need a King?

Way ahead of you.  We pretty much just need to officially change the title at this point.

How does "Master" Wilderness sound?  "Baron" Wilderness?  "Emperor" Wilderness? lol

I'll just say "your Highness".

lol

2. Credence2 profile image78

'Negotiation and communication, compromise, all seem to have died in the last decade.  The only thing that matters is pushing your party agenda; compromise is unthinkable any more and there is nothing to negotiate.'

This is true.

I certainly hope that we do not have to resort to tyranny, with the excuse of 'bringing order' as an alternative to a disfunctional legislative body.

I have become very pessimistic as of late.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)