Daily traffic dropped from 150 to 0-9 a week ago and hasn't come back.

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (49 posts)
  1. Boisegal profile image80
    Boisegalposted 10 years ago

Am I taking crazy pills, or is there another google update going on, or what?  My traffic dropped on 8/8/13 from about 150 views a day to 0-9.  My top hub is getting zero every day now.  My hub score dropped from 90-something to 76.  No overpromotion, no suddenly unfeatured hubs, no explanation.  What's going on?

1. Rock_nj profile image90
      Rock_njposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Have any of your Hubs been Featured by HubPages?  That could explain the sudden drop in traffic.  Some Hubbers that have had their Hubs Featured, whether they want them Featured or not, are reporting significant drops in traffic.

Boisegalposted 10 years agoin reply to this

They are all "featured" hubs, if that's what you mean.  No "hub of the day" or anything special.

I meant "Editor's Choice" not Featured.  This new  Editor's Choice thing appears to be wreaking havoc on some Hub's traffic.  I turned it off until they sort out the problems it is causing.

1. lovebuglena profile image84
            lovebuglenaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How can you turn it off?

2. moonlake profile image82
      moonlakeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My traffic is also way down. I have edited and changed things around does no good, at least half of what it was and I expect it to drop to half of that tonight.

3. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is a sharp drop.  Check your traffic sources to see if Google has stopped giving you any visitors.  It is possible that you have been sandboxed.  There was a learning center entry about what to do if you have been sandboxed, but I can't find it.  I am sure if you search "Google sandbox" you will find lots of info, although I am not sure if they will all be reliable.

4. LLambie profile image74
      LLambieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I've had a bit of a traffic drop, but I've had a look at Google Analytics and I've looked at the traffic sources before and after the drop, and it isn't solely Google. I would definitely recommend getting Analytics set up if you haven't already got it, just to see what your various sources of traffic are and whether the drop is from one or many. For me, its just been a bit of a wake-up call that I need to do a bit more promotion. That's what I've been doing over the past few days and I'm starting to see a bit of an improvement.

2. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 10 years ago

Your views dropped because Google currently hates and punishes most of Hubpages.

Your hubber score dropped because Hubpages hates and punishes hubbers when they experience a drop in views.

My own response to the situation is that I will not give Hubpages another word of content while they continue to treat their contributors in such a contemptuous manner. After all, I am not losing anything given the current CPMs and (lack of) views. So far today, I have ten times as many views on my own sites as here. So far this month, I have earned the equivalent of 4 months worth of current HP earnings (HP Ads + Adsense) in Adsense clicks on my sites.

Love your website name!

3. profile image87
    Robbie C Wilsonposted 10 years ago

Hi Boisegal,
                          Sorry to hear that your traffic has crashed
    Have you edited your hubs recently? HubPages have added a number of Style tips and other new suggestions that may help attract additional traffic.

Do you advertise your hubs on Social Media? I use Google+ and Pinterest?

I have looked at a few of your hubs. I think they are good, but I think they could be helped by a few more really good photos. These would also help if you put those on Pinterest. Hope that your traffic returns...

I was getting OK traffic without all that extra "work," and getting used to the nice $20 a month these hubs were bringing in.  Just wondering why that traffic I had for 6 months vanished.

I might revise a few and definitely try adding more pics.  Thanks!

4. RelevantHelp profile image70
    RelevantHelpposted 10 years ago

I had this happen to one of my accounts a few months back.

For a drop that severe, it's most likely a specific Google penalty against your subdomain.

I'd recommend setting up Webmaster Tools stuff for your subdomain if you haven't already. Do some title editing, change up your content a bit.

That's what I did, and traffic came back after about 1.5 months, right back to normal.

Thanks, I will.

Added it to Webmaster; "No manual web spam actions found."  Hmm.

1. RelevantHelp profile image70
          RelevantHelpposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I didn't have manual action either, but it doesn't mean you're not operating under a penalty. There are manual and automated penalties.

Manual action just means that an actual person has penalized your subdomain, rather than a Google bot.

I think what happened with me is that after I added Webmaster Tools, used their HTML suggestions, and did some title / content modification, the traffic came back when Panda next updated. Hopefully that's what will happen for you too!

5. LCDWriter profile image90
    LCDWriterposted 10 years ago

No crazy pills.  Everyone's traffic has dropped off the map.

6. profile image54
    Abdul Sattar Aminposted 10 years ago

Check this post for your answer. http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/115537#post2454370

Thanks

7. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 10 years ago

While everyone's traffic including mine has gone into free fall (without a chute) I did decide to open 2 of your hubs. While I did not actually read them they were so short that I wondered if I had seen everything! Generally you need a hub to get 1000 plus words if you want Google and co to take any real notice of you and less than 400 is almost certainly likely to be skipped over..

Nope. A huge amount of my traffic came from one of my shortest hubs, and Google has taken notice of it for 6 months straight now (since it was published).  It's all about keywords.  Like I wrote above, I've been getting decent traffic and making $20 a month since I started at Hubpages 6 months ago.  It's never been an issue before.  Now suddenly, 0 pageviews on all but one of my hubs.  And the one hub that is still getting Google pageviews is also a short one.

8. nancymaggielee profile image69
    nancymaggieleeposted 10 years ago

It seems to me that HubPages is getting way too picky about content ~ like they've gone overboard with those quality signals and such that tell you whether or not what you just spent hours writing is worth it for them to publish.  Oh well, I guess that's why I stopped creating new Hubs and will continue to write on Squidoo!!!

1. LeanMan profile image79
      LeanManposted 10 years agoin reply to this

People seem to be getting confused between Google reducing their traffic and Hubpages....
      Far better to allow only the very best in the hope that the site will be recognised by Google as being top quality and worthy of visitors!! (Even if I don't like it either!!)

Hubpages has nothing to do with my reduced traffic.  They didn't disallow any  of my hubs.  If I look at my stats, it's all Google traffic that recently disappeared.

9. Inkylips profile image59
    Inkylipsposted 10 years ago

What is Squidoo? Sorry to hear about your views dropping hmm

10. Azure11 profile image85
    Azure11posted 10 years ago

My other subdomain has done exactly the same thing - dropped from 2-300 to 20-30. At one point I was getting 1000-1500 a day (I think that was about a year ago). Gutting. It does seem to be the same all over HubPages. I'm hoping that the tide will turn again as it has in the past but I'm not holding my breath. One thing I have done is switch from HPAds to pure adsense as I can at least collect the money on that as opposed to the few cents I get otherwise. I have also started to update all the hubs but this hasn't made any difference so far.

11. earner profile image81
    earnerposted 10 years ago

I'm just sitting here.  I've no interest in rearranging the deckchairs.

12. Carola Finch profile image93
    Carola Finchposted 10 years ago

I have had a significant drop in traffic as well.  A news website I also write for has dropped in views as well, so it seems to be an overall trend.  Hopefully, in September, things will turn around.

13. gqgirl profile image65
    gqgirlposted 10 years ago

I had a hub that was making me $400 ruffly a month drop to mere cents a day. I feel ya. No idea whats going on.

Sheesh, and I'm whining about $20 a month!

1. gqgirl profile image65
        gqgirlposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Lucky for me I have other things that keep money in my pocket! LOL I'm flabbergasted at it myself.... How does one hub go from $400 a month to 0.06 cents a day? I just don't get it. My traffic hasn't dropped on that hub either.

14. Silva Hayes profile image78
    Silva Hayesposted 10 years ago

My income has dropped about 40%.  Hoping to see a recovery, for all of us.

15. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

It sounds like sand-boxing has returned.

16. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image95
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 10 years ago

My traffic and earnings are down as well. I haven't even broken $2 this month. Fun fun.

17. gmv profile image78
    gmvposted 10 years ago

Seriously. My traffic was sitting around 50 or 60 a day, yeah sucks, but now it's like at 8 views a day for all 28 of my hubs. 11 are featured.  I thought featured hubs were supposed to get views.  Apparently not.  The admins keep saying they are are working on it, but I don't see improvements over the past couple of months.  This is a recession.  If my money is going to get cut on here, then I'm going to just stop trying to write articles, because the past ten articles I have written are featured.

18. profile image0
    How to hubsposted 10 years ago

May be hubpages is in loss. Their site ranking has dropped! Google blogspot has a site rank of 12, hubpages is 551. Anyone making money on blogger?

I have a Blogger account and have a few articles there.  They don't get a lot of traffic, and I'm not sure how to track how well the AdSense ads are doing on Blogger?  But, I assume some of the AdSense revenues I generate are from Blogger.

One thing I have done is:  Every time that I have to update a Hub on HubPages, I first copy it to my blogger account, so I can publish it there in the future, after my Hub on HubPages has been altered significantly to make HubPages happy.  You don't have to make anyone happy at Blogge. Once the Hub has been changed significantly, the Blogger version of the article is different enough that it can be published without worrying about copied content issues (even though it's yours to begin with).  Just an idea to leverage your ability to make money online from one's articles.

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I started a blog at Blogger this summer. I've gotten good traffic for a new one, but I haven't gotten Google clicks.

1. profile image0
        How to hubsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are pretty successful on HP, you still get traffic?
        Do you promote your blogspot blogs, how can I find you on blogger?
        What do you think I should focus more on, Blogger or HP?

19. profile image0
    How to hubsposted 10 years ago

I am thinking of writing a journal on blogger; just for fun!
    Can you tell me how much you make on HP on avg?

1. gqgirl profile image65
      gqgirlposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Blogger won't bring you in a lot of adsense. I've been doing blogger for years now and am lucky to make a few cents off of it a month. And I have 56 active blog full of real and great content. I don't know how some people do it! LOL

1. profile image0
        How to hubsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Do you get any traffic on blooger, how much on avg?

20. Debbie Snack cake profile image67
    Debbie Snack cakeposted 10 years ago

my hubs were getting nothing seldom a comment or two, makes me wonder.

21. Debbie Snack cake profile image67
    Debbie Snack cakeposted 10 years ago

Its because many of us is changing our blogs;
    to, other blogging sites; where the traffic goes.

22. sparkster profile image86
    sparksterposted 10 years ago

I have also experience a huge drop in traffic, readership and earnings here at Hubpages after all the recent changes and it looks like it's staying that way.  In my opinion, Hubpages have just made some HUGE mistakes which has adversely affected my use of the site. Up until now I was doing quite well but I'm rapidly becoming more and more disheartened by Hubpages each and every day.  Nearly all my hubs are featured yet my most popular and successful articles in the past are now rated the lowest according to the changes that have happened here.  Whatever's going on, there's something seriously wrong with the changes that Hubpages have made - they've got something fundamentally wrong somewhere along the line.

23. jaydawg808 profile image80
    jaydawg808posted 10 years ago

This is absolute BS.  I used to do really well per month, and now it's just in the crapper.  I have a bunch of great hubs......and my really great hub has been losing visitors every single month.  My earnings are so low it makes me think of abandoning HubPages altogether.  I just may take ALL of my content elsewhere and publish them to wherever that may be.  Then I'll just unpublish them here.  HubPages has done all of us writers wrong!  Until I see some improvement, I refuse to create new pieces of work.

24. PunkyMedic profile image61
    PunkyMedicposted 10 years ago

I feel as if Squidoo is going through the same thing as Hubs right now.

1. flash167 profile image90
      flash167posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I've never really had any success using Squidoo however it is fun.

25. profile image0
    WhiteMuseposted 10 years ago

My views have been wavering a bit much. They seem to have been going back. I would like to have them improving though.

Your own picture on the front page seems to be not that clear or maybe pixels. They seem to not like that too much at Hubpages. I don't know if that is it or not. I have had my score for the front going down I know for not putting anything on it or that kind of thing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)