Picture Size?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (20 posts)
  1. sabrebIade profile image81
    sabrebIadeposted 10 years ago

Can you not alter a picture size anymore in edit or is that just a glitch?
    Now when I try to upload a small picture it blows it up and warns me that I have a blurry or pixalated image.
    Of course it is.
    I upload a 350 and you blow it up to 650...its gonna be pixalated!

1. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What you have to do now is surround the width of your photo with white space to equal 520 pixels in total and then upload it to HubPages.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image73
      Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can also right float the image in the image capsule.
      We also advise starting with higher resolution source images.
      http://hubpages.com/faq/#imagerequirements

1. sabrebIade profile image81
        sabrebIadeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

But now I have to have a big picture instead of a small one?
        I liked the old quarter size, half size options.
        They weren't perfect but they were a heck of a lot better than this!

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
          Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

brakel2,
          If you put a normal sized picture on your hub and it got huge, just use the up or down arrows, and move it to the right, then surround it with text. Then they come down to a normal size again. If you look at the last few hubs on my profile page, you will see I used a lot of pictures and they got to a reasonable size again by doing that. Or actually, I've had a few that were a little smaller than I wanted. It has nothing to do with pixelated images, because if the picture wasn't clear you would not have used it in the first place. I would like to believe these changes are made for the betterment of the site and the writers, but have to face that many of them are just time wasters.

I see no logical reason for this change, it's the one that's the last straw for me. I had to edit almost all my hubs for other reasons, and then the pictures were all giant. What a mess. I just finished the last piece I'm putting on here, I didn't want to end in the middle of a series, which of course, had lots of pictures.

I've complained and got official statements saying the "tips" are "suggested," you don't have to use them or change your hubs. That's probably true, since there is no traffic anyway. It's so low I can't even make the $50 payout without taking two months to do it. So I'm done, I may let my stuff sit for awhile, to see if there is any upward movement. Right now I am not sure where I would even put the hubs. Since I wrote a lot of series things, I could compile them and put them in an e-book on Amazon, but don't really feel motivated to do that either.

2. vocalcoach profile image93
    vocalcoachposted 10 years ago

This is all fine and dandy for all of you who know how to do this - but  for others like me  - we have no idea how this is done.  I don't know why HP had to go and change a good thing.  I won't be using as many photos now. And that will reflect on my hub. I've tried re-formatting and regardless of what I do, the images come out blurred.
    Please...let's go back to what worked so well.  I'm more than a little upset and frustrated. After over 3 years on HP I'm not as motivated and certainly not happy with this change.

PS - What happens to all of my photos in "my photos" - do I have to reformat those?

3. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

Do instructions exist about this change? I was editing a hub and have a humongous photo that ruins my layout. Writer Fox, can you help us with further instructions please. Would sure appreciate your help. Does this just mean resizing pic  and what about the white space?  Thanks!!!!!

If you don't have good photo editing tools, you can do it this way:

1. Copy and paste the image to a Word document and center it on the page.

2. Print Screen and save to My Pictures in Word.

3. Go to this online tool, click 'Browse' and select the saved screen shot from your computer:
      http://www.picresize.com/

4. Click 'Continue.'

5. Expand the + that appears on your photo to crop.  You want to include white space on the left and right width of your picture to equal 520 pixels (or more).

6. Click on 'Crop Selection' from the left menu.

7. Scroll down a little to 'Step 2' and choose 'Original' from the menu drop down. Look on the right to see the estimated width and height.  You can keep editing until you get the width with white space to 520 pixels (or more).

8. Scroll down past 'Step 4' and click on 'I'm Done, Resize My Picture.'

9. On the next screen, choose 'View Image.' When the image pops up, right click and save to your computer.  Upload to HubPages.

1. vocalcoach profile image93
        vocalcoachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't have word (mac computer) or anything like it.

4. Carola Finch profile image93
    Carola Finchposted 10 years ago

To resize and/or crop a picture, I go to the "My pictures" folder on my computer. Here is how I manage my pictures.  Most are fine as is, but sometimes some tweeking is needed.

When I click on the photo, it comes up in Windows Photo Viewer.  I cick on open.  There are a number of options, but I choose "Microsoft Office Picture Manager." I click on the "Auto Correct" tab on the toolbar (last right) if I want to enhance the photo.  To resize and/or crop a picture, I click on "Edit Pictures" on the toolbar. in the right hand corner, you will see a column with varios options.  You can resize the photo by clicking on "resize" and entering a new value.  Sometimes it works, but sometimes, the resolution goes off.  There is a little "x" beside "edit pictures" on the column where you can exit and save your changes.  Hope that helps.

1. vocalcoach profile image93

This only works if you are using a PC.  I use an apple mac.

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
        Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the hugs Audrey. It is so confusing to be creative and then have all these silly rules.

I don't know about Macs, but on my Dell with Internet Explorer, the picture issue was annoying, but not hard to fix. Once I found a picture, I put it in Windows Paint, size it the way I want, and put that in Documents. While writing the hub and getting to the point where I want the pictures, I start with a photo capsule. I hit the green bar and scroll through my documents until I find the photo I want. It DOES come out huge on the hub. But as soon as I move it around, up so text surrounds it, it returns to a normal size.

I did have some problems like you did Audrey, I had pictures on the bottom and no more text, nothing more to say. So you know how the capsule allows you 2 pictures? I just added another capsule underneath, and used it for one photo instead of two. I'm sure that's not the preferred way, but it got all the pictures up in the text. It does sort of force you to put them differently than you would like. But it does the job without forcing you to put the picture in several other screens or programs to get it the way you want. Because even if you do get it the size you want, it will grow again when you try to put it in your hub. I guess everyone has to find the easiest way depending on their computers.

I don't mean to sound crabby, it's just frustrating. I like HP, if I see any evidence it's moving in a better direction, I would still leave my work here and hang out. I've tried a lot of other sites and surprisingly I still find this one the easiest, and the people are the nicest (as long as you stay away from religion or politics)!

5. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 10 years ago

Why was the re-sizing feature removed from HP?

To give us a reason to visit the website;
      To see who is clever enough to circumvent the change;
      To ensure that we have something with which to occupy our time;
      To help us avoid Alzheimer's disease by engaging in cognitive stimulation;
      To increase participation in the forum;

or, perhaps it was just to annoy us.

1. brakel2 profile image74
        brakel2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Writer Fox and Carola for your great instructions. Also Writer Fox, appreciate your sense of humor.

2. vocalcoach profile image93

Hahaha  - love it!

6. sabrebIade profile image81
    sabrebIadeposted 10 years ago

Well if I was making 25 to 50 dollars a day here that would be worth it.
    But for 2 bucks a day...that's WAY too much trouble.
    So...no more pictures.

7. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 10 years ago

Sounds like a loI of extra work to me. Why did they change it?

8. tw6852 profile image57
    tw6852posted 10 years ago

If you have a small picture, you can combine the photo box into a text block and then it will be downsized.  That's what I do when I don't want it to be blown up and distorted.

9. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

Thanks Jean.  Sorry for all your trouble. I hope u stay on site. I know u have spent hours fixing and editing. I wonder what the reason could be for the pic thing. I was just trying to ensure that all pics were by appropriate text. I had some at the end for some reason. I didn't have a lot of text capsules when I began on the site.  Hugs. Audrey

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)