Getting Views for Blogger

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (16 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years ago

I recently started a blog, something I have never done before.  I have been trying to get views for it, but they are very slow coming.  I don't understand FB, but am trying.  I am also using Google+ and Pinterest, but cannot figure out what else I can do.  Any advice?

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I started one this summer too. I've gotten followers, but only get new views when I post something. I think you need to post almost every day. I've gotten enough views, but I'm not earning any money from Google ads. I'm beginning to wonder if it is worth the bother.

2. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

patience and persistence.  If you are using social media, be sure you are engaging with it beyond just promoting your posts.  On Pinterest for example, have other boards, post a lot of interesting things.  I have a Halloween website for example, so this time of year, I don't just pin stuff of mine related to Halloween, I follow, seek out and pin all sorts of excellent Halloween stuff.  My Halloween board as a result has hundreds of followers.  I also pin stuff of my own, but people see that I am posting all kinds of pins and so they don't assume I'm spamming etc.

With Facebook, try getting some followers initially perhaps with their paid program if necessary. Otherwise get people you know to follow and share your FB postings.  Instead of just posting your blog posts, post things directly on FB that engage your readers.  On my business FB pages, I'll often post a quote - or ask a question.  This gets people personally involved.  You can share a fun fact or things of that nature. 

With Twitter - ugh, not my favorite, but retweet things that interest you, follow others, and give them mentions and such once in awhile.  Use hashtags in your posts #likethis so that people may find your tweets when searching those terms.  On FB and Twitter and Pinterest you can also do exchanges with others, participate in group boards/pages etc.

It takes time and a lot of work, but once you have it down you'll see it really makes a difference.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The trouble with Facebook and Twitter is that it's not enough just to post links there.  You have to be really active on each (for, say, half an hour every day), posting news and information about your topic. It's like having to run two more blogs, and if you don't enjoy it, it becomes a horrible, tedious chore.

It's much easier for the younger generation to do, because half their social life is on those sites anyway so a little extra time isn't much effort.  Plus they usually have lots of personal connections to get the ball rolling.  If you're starting from a low base, it's an uphill battle getting followers, and it's certainly not worth using their paid program for an amateur blog!

I've found more success taking part in forums on my subject - which doesn't feel like work because you're interacting with fellow enthusiasts.   You do have to spend some time getting known and accepted before you start posting links to your Hubs or blogs, and even then you have to do it sparingly (and only if it's relevant to the topic being discussed) - but if you can fill out a profile with your blog, and especially if you're allowed to link to your blog in your signature, people will be curious and visit.

Here's a few RV forums I found:

http://www.rv.net/forum/
      http://www.rvnetwork.com/
      http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php

TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, guys.  I have looked at some forums and even connected with one on FB but it is very difficult to do much with FB if you don't want to involve people you already know personally.  RVing is a subject you either are "in" to or not.  There is no inbetween.  I'm having a bit more luck with Pinterest lately, but not much.  I just got a few affiliates a few days ago, but the big one I'm after has not responded yet.  Slow but sure I guess is how this goes, huh?

4. Dale Hyde profile image80
      Dale Hydeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have used Blogger for my blog...however, if you view my blog you will see that there is nothing there that reflects it is a blogger blog.  I have used my own domain and done away with any blogger links except one at the very, very bottom, lol.  You can see my blog from my profile page here.

How I get views is through the various social medias as others have shared including yourself.  I also have my blog in Webmaster tools and submit each post through there that I make.

I have a steady steam of material for my blog because of the unfeatured hubs that HP keeps throwing my way.  I post to my blog, using the scheduler once a week, these unfeatured hubs.

The thing to remember is this, when you move something from HP to a blog, you need to do more than just unpublish it.  You need to go to Webmaster Tools and have the hub URL dropped from Google search and cache at least 24 hours prior to republishing it elsewhere.  I usually allow up to a week before I republish from HP onto my blog.  This does away with duplicate content being seen by Google when they send the bot to crawl your blog.

Having unique content is always a great thing, and that alone will help build you in Google search results.

All of that being said, my blog is still "new" in the eyes of Google and the world, but my revenue is climbing according to my Adsense account. smile

That's great info.  Thanks, Dale.  Someone told me that the "duplicate content" thing was from HP and not Google, and that makes sense to me.  How else to sites get away with stealing and publishing our content?  Also, if you unpublish and wait, you leave your hubs open to theft because while you are waiting, someone can steal them, publish them as their own, and if you republish, you are considered the thief!  I'm not totally sure about the best way to do this.  So far I have deleted two hubs and immediately published them on my blog without doing anything else.  I'd love some input on this from others here about this because I'm not sure about the best way to handle this.  In fact, HP has allowed instant transfers to HP from Yahoo Voices in the past without problems...very confusing.

Dale:  I just checked Webmaster Tools and have found that my blog is already linked there and that 13 of my 40 articles have automatically appeared there.  My question is where are the rest of the articles and how do I add them if need be?

2. Dale Hyde profile image80
          Dale Hydeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hopefully some new insight on this will come along.  It will be interesting to see if there are some additional ideas out there. smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

The way it has been explained to me is this:

Yes, Google dislikes duplicate content.  When it sees the same article in two places, it will pick one and disregard the other.  It's a bit hit-and-miss which one they pick.

So what are the consequences of that?   If Google picks the unpublished version, then the reader gets a dead link.  But there's a chance Google will pick the new version on your blog, and then you'll get the reader.   Isn't that better than leaving your Hub in limbo, where there's no chance whatsoever of getting the reader? 

So yes, if you know how to submit the old URL to Google for removal, by all means do it.  But Google will work it out pretty soon, so it's not worth fretting about too much. And in the meantime, you don't have to worry about keeping track of which Hubs you've republished and which you've got on a waiting list.

The reason revenue-sharing sites won't tolerate duplicate content is that they don't want to take ANY chances that other copies of an article will outrank theirs.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

The main thing is to write something people want to read.  Google will do a lot of the rest and social media etc is icing on the cake.

3. psycheskinner profile image84

The "duplicate content thing" is 100% Google.  Where there are two sites with the same content they prioritize only one, and the other is effectively buried. They try to prioritize the original but this is hit and miss.

psycheskinner   Here is my question.  If I delete an HP Hub and then immediately publish it on my blog, that means one has disappeared and the other is left.  I am assuming the one that is left is the one on my blog, but if not, when the first article disappears, wouldn't the second one then be OK anyhow?

4. psycheskinner profile image84

You need to give Google time to deindex the original.  It will not happen instantaneously.

However, when they do deindex it, wouldn't the replacement article then be cleared of duplicate content issues?  Also, I just read a google article that said they do not penalize for duplicate content.  I am totally confused.  I have moved two articles in the past two days without doing anything...so should I now just wait?  And what about how articles get indexed on other search engines, or don't they matter?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

That article is correct.  Google doesn't "penalize" duplicate content, in that they don't apply some kind of punishment.  What they do is look at the two articles and decide which one has most "authority".   Then they'll include that one in their search results and ignore the other.  Ignoring something isn't the same as applying a penalty in their eyes, although in our eyes it is!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)