Bwah, Editing Old Hubs so that They are More Hubpage's Friendly

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (24 posts)
  1. hrymel profile image79
    hrymelposted 10 years ago

Blergh, so I'm going back to my original hubs that are usually a single picture with a block of text and editing them so that they are prettier, longer, and hopefully seen as more Hubpage's friendly.

It just seems like it takes forever to revamp them. Does anyone have any tricks to help the process go by quicker?

Also, is it worth it? Has anyone gave makeovers to older articles and seen an improvement in traffic?

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have one hub that they will not feature. I have reworked it, I don't know how many times and it still isn't good enough. For the life of me, I don't know what's wrong with it.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image61
        The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Beth37
        Have you double checked everything - including the ads? It could be something like promotion of one ad. Capitalization in your title/subtitles. Proofread it carefully - it can be a simple space 'likethis'. Or  this.

1. profile image0

If you have the time, take a look at it and tell me what's wrong with it.
          I know the link will be deleted soon, but I don't know if you can see it without a link as it is unfeatured.

http://beth37.hubpages.com/hub/Strength … t-weakness

In the title I would capitalize 'Strength' and make all of the other words small. The only other thing which caught my eye was Aids. It should be all capitals as in AIDS.
            One other problem which I realized when I opened your Hub, which only you will know, is whether or not the photos were legal to copy. That could also be the 'invisible' problem holding you back.
            You may not wish to do this but I also noticed that it is not copyrighted to HP.

1. profile image0

Thank you so much.
              I thought in a title, you capitalized all words that weren't articles. At least I remember that from like the first grade, but that was a while ago. Ok, Ill make some of those changes and see what happens. Thank you again! smile

Beth37
                According to HP and APA rules - and in general when you write business letters, etc. -  there are only certain words which are supposed to be, or allowed to be, capitalized. If you want, I can give you the link to the APA.
                I also forgot to mention a Google ad at the bottom which did not show anything but an error code. At least my view showed that.

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
                  Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Beth,
                  I read your article and thought it was very good, I like motivational things. I also agree with the old rule of not capitalizing articles, and used to get in good natured fights with my son when he was in college and I proofread his papers. Apparently grammar rules have changed with social media, and we need to keep up.

Sometimes I think HP doesn't like personal articles from your own viewpoint, they think that's more like a journal type thing. I write informational hubs, and although most of them are featured, they may think yours is too personal. Who knows? I drive myself crazy when a hub I worked hard on and think is good gets little attention, then one I banged out in a half hour is loved by everyone.

I made the mistake of using Google Images when I was new here, and had to go back and change every picture. It was so time consuming to fix them all. I will admit my traffic got much better after I did that though, so it is worth it. They also seem to like at least 3 pictures, so now I pile on as many as I can get on there!

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
                rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I see most titles capitalized both online and offline.  If I see a title with only the first word capitalized, it doesn't look like a title.  HP gives good advice on this issue.
                    Always capitalize the first word of a title or subtitle.
                    Capitalize all “major” words (nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, and pronouns) in your title, including the second part of hyphenated major words (e.g., High-Quality not High-quality).
                    Capitalize all words of four letters or more.

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
              Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree. it has to be the Google image.

1. profile image0

You... nailed it! smile

2. PegCole17 profile image94
            PegCole17posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hello Beth,
            I read your hub and it was inspiring and well written. The only thing you might check into is the image you used at the top which cited Google images as the source. Not all Google images are free for use and that may be the issue.
            All the best
            Peg

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
        LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Break up the paragraphs, add a link and perhaps a couple more photographs. The hub is written well but does not "look" appealing.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image61

hrymel -
      I write the entire content first in Word (or whatever word processor you use) including the polls/quizzes usually when I am done with the content. During the writing I might get ideas for the title and/or summary too. Then after I am satisfied, I copy all content plus the polls/quizzes to HP and add the photos/videos.

3. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is indeed WORTH it.  I, too, am in the process of revamping and revitalizing my hubs.  Out of 362 hubs (the newest ones are already beautiful with pictures and texts), I have 171 hubs to refurbish.   
      http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8386302_f248.jpg

1. ologsinquito profile image83
        ologsinquitoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I believe it's worth it. I also wrote a hub on the topic. Just make sure you save the original in word format before deleting anything, because it's too easy to lose the entire thing.

2. JeffRobinson profile image65
    JeffRobinsonposted 10 years ago

all the hubs i've done are featured, but only problem for me is i only get a few hits a day, im just really low on traffic and are using social media to help gain traffic, but thats not working.

Good luck in getting your hubs friendly

Jeff

3. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

Ones I have revamped usually do better - not always, it really depends on the topic, if people are looking for it etc. One thing I think that does help is if you do something to encourage readers to participate.  I will often do a poll in a hub or at the end ask the reader a question - this tends to up the engagement enough that even if it is a low-traffic hub it won't get unfeatured.

I would recommend subtitles also, If your topic is on "How to build a widget" for example, break it up and use subtopics

"Where to find parts for your widget" etc. and then put the related paragraph/section

A couple of good subtitles and engaging readers is usually all it takes. 

so far, I have only one hub that seems to get routinely unfeatured due to engagement and it is an obscure one I wrote back when they were doing the title suggestions - go figure.. they suggested it and won't keep it featured lol.

4. ComfortB profile image85
    ComfortBposted 10 years ago

I did about half a dozen of my hubs this past week and I've seen a 50% rise in traffic to those hubs. Adding an authorship link at the bottom of each helps too. It's worth the effort, I believe. Re-wording headings and subheading for SEO, adding photos, tables and poll capsules works well.

1. hrymel profile image79
      hrymelposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What's an authorship link? Just a link to your profile?

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
        pauldeedsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I believe she's referring to this section at the bottom of the Hub:

http://comfortb.hubpages.com/hub/Owambe … d_22828125

It's up to you whether you want to include those, but it's actually not something that we recommend for a couple of reasons: 1) it's usually unrelated to the subject of the Hub, 2) repeating the same information across all your hubs could present search problems.

There are a lot of good tips in the HubPages Style Guide learning center entry:

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/HubP … iting-Tips

If you are reworking a lot of Hubs, I'd recommend reading it first!

5. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

hrymel, it is definitely worth it. Just set small goals to do two a week. The editing you do will improve hub quality and hence, traffic. It won't work every time, at least in my experience. It's a hit and miss to see what works and what doesn't. But what it has done for me is increase the hubscores of many of my hubs by several points. I have seen an increase in traffic to some but I can't tell if that's due to HP changes/getting back in good graces with Google or if I've made my hubs more searchable.

6. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

Remember, attractive, exciting, and well organized hubs are THE ONES that are READ THE MOST and DRAW THE MOST TRAFFIC!
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8311402_f248.jpg
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8210784_f248.jpg
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8384618_f248.jpg
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8386899_f248.jpg
    MAKE that HUB attractive and eye and mind candy.......it's WORTH your while. DO IT!
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8386915_f248.jpg

7. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Guess what! After the first advice I got from The Examiner1, I changed my pic. and that was the issue. They featured it (finally) while I was at work today. I am so glad. I hated having something unfeatured for quality. It felt so insulting, especially when I couldn't figure out what the problem was. I still have some unfeatured for lack of traffic, but that doesn't bother me even half as much.

Thank you ALL for taking the time and giving me your ideas... even if they did conflict at times. lol
    You were all very kind to make the effort!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)