Photo capsules

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Faith Reaper profile image84
    Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8677862.jpg
    In a recent HubPages weekly email, it was discussing the fact that many use photos and do not provide a source.  I was thinking that this may easily be addressed by HP by requiring a source in the source field inside the photo capsule, whether it is "self" or the Freedigitalphotos, wikimedia commons or whatever.  If the source is required to even post a photo or image, then that would solve the issue of at least the source being known.  Just a thought.  Is that something that would be too hard to implement for HP?

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, Faith. If the source field was required rather than optional, it would prevent use of any unauthorized images. I am thinking of getting a good camera or making my own drawings, since it seems more and more difficult to find images that are free to use.

Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Phyllis, I was just thinking the same thing about drawings. I have just been using my cell phone for pictures as I always have it with me. One can find good photos on wikimedia commons but sometimes there are none to fit with ones topic. There are some good choices on freedigitalphotos too. I do think that if that field is required to be filled out before one can upload a photo or image then maybe it willl cut down on those who just pop in images that may not be legal.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
          Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am glad you brought this subject up, Faith. I was thinking about starting a forum on it because of all the issues with images. Time to get out my art pencils and drawing tablet.  tongue

Yes, me too, Phyllis.  I would love to see your art.

2. The Frog Prince profile image71
      The Frog Princeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Photos on public domain many times have no source, hence "public domain."  There's one flaw in your argument to think about.  I use graphics a lot that are secured from public domain.  Some of the whining is being done because some cry babies here don't like the content.  That's too bad and so sad.  Their choice is not to use their mouse to go there. 

The Frog Prince

Hi Frog, Yes, and that is all we have to put in the source then is PD or Public Domain.

1. The Frog Prince profile image71

That is an unnecessary step.  Much ado about nothing in my opinion.  A picture is a picture and is used to speak a thousand words.  If that is all anyone has to complain about the world is good!

2. Writer Fox profile image31
          Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

HubPages does not require an attribution for a public domain image and the staff has stated that many times on the Forum.  Here is one post from Paul Deeds:
          http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/118043#post2490307

Maybe it is required for the apprentice program or HOTD, but it is not required on HubPages.  Not only that, but your audience will consider it amateur to put 'public domain' as a photo source and search engines won't understand either, unless your Hub has something to do with public domain.

Thanks Writer Fox, yes, that is true and all we have to put is Public Domain.  I have seen a lot of images and photos that have been released to Public Domain, but some still say as long as properly attributed, so that would be the only time one would need to worry about the attribution for sure.

1. Writer Fox profile image31

You shouldn't list a source at all for a public domain photo.  Putting "Public Domain" in the source box is confusing for search engines and visitors to your Hubs.

Oh really? Hmm

2. janshares profile image93
                jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

ey-yi-yi.

LOL

2. Faith Reaper profile image84

Jan, I see you use public domain a lot and properly attribute which is the way to go as one sure would not want HP to take off points from one's score for not doing so!

Photo attribution is not part of the QAP score.

Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

Having a 'source' box as used on HubPages is not the standard protocol Internet publishers follow and it is not what users are used to seeing online. In fact, it's distracting for the user experience unless there is something profound to say about the source of a photo (like 'this was shot by an undercover policeman').

Many Hubbers make the mistake of duplicating the same source text hundreds of times across their Hubs (like 'this photo was taken by John Doe and is his personal photo and blah, blah, blah).

It's bad enough that the caption has to double as the Alt text (a horrible situation), but we certainly don't need to require everyone to spam their Hubs by filling out that source box for every photo.

I have many photo collection Hubs with up to 200 photos and I have no intention of revealing my sources, let alone with followed links irrelevant to my content.

If you have to credit a photo source, use a text capsule and NoFollow the link.

1. Suzanne Day profile image93
      Suzanne Dayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1, also I believe it is hideously distracting for the reader. Why not make source credits for photos a <h6> or something really out of the way in a lighter grey that could be nofollow and clicked on if needed? I find the current ones really look horrible on the hubs and detract from the user experience as it looks like I am showing off my own name 1000 times.

Using an H tag (Heading Tag) would put more emphasis on the irrelevant text, not less! I don't think that's really what you want to do.

1. Suzanne Day profile image93
          Suzanne Dayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh what I meant was just to make the font size much smaller and hide it a bit.

Or, just don't use it at all!

Hi Suzanne, yes, the font size could be smaller and less distracting for sure.

Hi Writer Fox, That is what I am saying that HP is saying that hubbers are just posting an image or photo without indicating the source in the photo capsule.  There is already a place to indicate the source, they just do not do it. If it is there own photo, all one has to put is "Self" and if the photo or image is from Wikimedia commons, which is legal, one needs to make sure to give it proper attribution, i.e., CC-BY-SA.2.0, etc.   One can be sued by the owner of the photo or image if not properly attributed and there is already a place to do that.  If it is required, HP could make that little space a required field before an image can be uploaded.  Here in a forum, I have uploaded my own photo, and just as is on questions when uploading a photo or image, there is not source field as there is in a hub.

1. Sparklea profile image59
        Sparkleaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Faith this is an excellent topic.  Since I am NOT high tech, and I am still experimenting on how to post photos on HP, I have cautiously just used my own photos so as not to get myself in trouble.  smile  By the way i love your background on your main page, you are so awesome and gifted with phenomenal creations....as well as with your hubs.  blessings, Sparklea
        ps; i have a doctor appointment, will return to answer your emails.  smile

Hi Dear Sparklea, yes, using one's own photos is the way to go for sure!!!  All one has to do is put "Self" in the source field.  Then no one can say one word about your photos.  Oh, as far as backgrounds, there are tons of free backgrounds to download online too!  You are so kind dear friend and an amazing writer no doubt one bit!  I hope and pray all goes well at the doctor appointment.  Blessings, Faith Reaper

Not all photos require attribution to be used.  If your photo source requires attribution or a link, then you have to give them that or don't use that photo.

Correct, Writer Fox, if there is no requirement for attribution, then it is not needed, but the source still needs to be used in the required field.  So many photographers have their photos stolen, as we do our hubs at times, and I am sure they would appreciate the attribution and source pointing readers back to them.  If one really wants to use another one's photos, one can just contact that person and if okay, all one has to do is put "Used with permission" in the source field in the photo capsule and site the website, then you are good to go without any legal ramifications with which to be concerned.

3. The Frog Prince profile image71

Your operative words were "internet protocol."  The Hub needs to pay closer attention to that as I have pointed out to them more than a few times.

Yes, indeed, dear Frog!

3. kidscrafts profile image75
    kidscraftsposted 10 years ago

This could be a solution.  Usually, when I post my own pictures (most of the time), I don't write the source but when I use other pictures, I always write the source and I make sure I have the right to use them.  It's so important to acknowledge the work of others.
    Have a fantastic weekend, Faith :-)

Hi Joelle (kidscrafts), Oh, yes, using your own photos is best always, and when you do so, just put "Self" or "Personal" and that will get it done.  You are wise, as it is so important to legally use the work of others.  Have a great weekend dear one, Faith Reaper : )

4. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Yes, Faith, thought I was doing it right, made all sorts of changes after the other forum confusion about attribution. Now, based on what Writer Fox shares, I'm SMH. neutral I will leave it alone for now. Gotta go, have a good day.

Yes, I would leave it and I do the same as you do. Have a good day!

1. The Examiner-1 profile image59
        The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is one reason why I use Wikimedia Commons 99% - all of the info is right there. What about if the source box said something such as, "highly recommended, though optional".

Yes, all the info is right there...so easy! That is a good suggestion. Thanks, The Examiner ...all the info is there too on free digital photos.

5. profile image0
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 10 years ago

Once HubPages changed the way we post pictures I discovered that a lot of pictures I took from the web just didn't match the standards. I was always getting notices like pixelated and things like that. So now I basically use my own images but not always can I get them to match what I write about. The source idea is good if only there was a way we could resize the pics as well.

Yes, I love your great personal photos. The free digital photos site which I have recently started using is easy and has tons of photos with the source right there as does wikimedia commons. Our own photos are best and then all one has to put in the source is "self".

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)