Why does Christianity have so many denominations within the faith?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Esenbee profile image69
    Esenbeeposted 9 years ago

I've been a Christian for many years and for as long as I can remember, I noticed that there are many different denominations within the Christian faith. This great disparity within the faith has always upseted me because I truly believe if Christians could get on one accord about the gospel and the word of God, that we could reach everyone in the world and finally heal our world.
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9046547_f248.jpg

1. peeples profile image94
      peeplesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Christians (all bible believing groups) can't figure out which interpretation they want to use. The thing about using a book written thousands of years ago is that it takes interpreting. Those people are no longer here to ask what they meant, or if they were being literal or not. So everyone has to guess and make things up as they go. Usually all claiming they interpreted it right. As long as there is no proof people will continue to selectively use and interpret the bible.

Esenbeeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's true, but Muslims also have an ancient text that they read...I'm not exactly sure about this but it seems like Muslims are more on one accord than Christians. I've never noticed Muslims to argue over the interpretation of their text.

1. EncephaloiDead profile image53
          EncephaloiDeadposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh, but Muslims do indeed argue, fight, kill and blow up other Muslims over the interpretation of the Quran.

I didn't know their fighting was about the Quran...

1. EncephaloiDead profile image53
              EncephaloiDeadposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Amongst other things, like the Hadiths and Caliphates, for example.

Wow, thanks for the insight EncephaloiDead

2. psycheskinner profile image84
          psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not at all.  Their are many sects and enormous schisms within Islam.

I didn't know that...to me, Muslims portray a "togetherness" or a sense of being on one accord than Christians do...but I've learned different today.

2. Hope Myers profile image59
      Hope Myersposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You are so right. Jesus didn't come so that we could argue about who's interpretation was better, he came so that "all could have life abundantly." It makes me so frustrated and sad when people who claim to follow Jesus can't even do so together because they're constantly at odds with each other. If we could get past the 'rules' of Christianity and make our faith what it's truly supposed to be about (Jesus), then we might be able to see the real issues of life...

Amen Hope, I totally agree with you. Our arguing is not helping to fix the world's disgraceful situation.

3. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Why does Christianity have so many denominations within the faith?
      First thing is to to do in order to answer this question would be to accept the fact that Christianity as we know it today as an organized religion began in 326 AD at the council of Nicea. 
      As far as these texts are concerned,The land mass of which The Roman Empire controlled was the entirety of the known world.   This governmental body created a Universal religion, with the intention of combining all religious beliefs in an attempt to create civil harmony through out the empire. 
            For 1000 years the Holy Roman Empire flourished. The only thing that prevented it from controlling the entire planet was the resistance brought forth by a fast growing organization which came to be called Islam.  This second organization established itself in much the same fashion as the first.
            OOPS   last paragraph strayed off topic momentarily.
            Once the printing press began circulating copies of the canon, and the non clergy became familiar with it,  corruption in the church was exposed by people such as Martin Luther.
          An attempt was made to fix the problems. Protestants and Lutherans came onto the seen. 
          These then divided into different denominations based solely upon the differences. I've been to some churches that spent 90% of their time pointing out how other church members are going to Hell because a Piano sits in the corner of other churches. 
            When we focus upon the differences instead of our commonalities, We have missed the whole point.   
            It seems to me this fulfills prophesy as given in Rev. 13.
      And if it does, it must be Gods will for it to be so.
      Didn't Jesus say something like; I have not come to bring peace but division, mother against daughter, father and son, brother and brother. For my name sake?
           It seems to me, religion is kinda like  a Pie, divided into eight pieces, each piece having a different flavor, Chocolate, vanilla,  pecan, apple, pumpkin, chicken pot, and even pickle if that is your think.
           There is nothing wrong with pecan, but personally, I wouldn't want it on my pickle. 
            Where I would be wrong is when I say Jesus doesn't want a pecan on his pickle, so you shouldn't either.

Thanks for the historical background of Christianity and how the institution may have deviated to what it is now....but Jesus came to redeem man kind, put us back in right standing with God, to fulfill the Law, and to rid all confusion...

2. flpalermo profile image60
    flpalermoposted 9 years ago

There is a Hub "Bind Up The Testimony" that clarifies a lot of these questions. I read it. It's great.

Thank you, I will check out that hub!

3. Pamela Bush profile image81
    Pamela Bushposted 9 years ago

Hi Esenbee;
    Because there are many human attempts to interpret the divine Word of God there are divisions separating Christ followers into different groups. But Christ teaches that a believing Christian must first be filled with the Holy Spirit to receive the hidden meaning or the spiritual and true interpretation from the divine Word. Once filled with the spirit of Christ, the Holy Ghost, the spiritual blindness is removed from the heart and the spiritual meaning of the scriptures is revealed. But God is progressive and seldom reveals more than an individual can accept in relation to their walk with God. Therefore, once filled with the Holy Spirit one must begin to do the things that Jesus commanded and as one is developing a new nature in Christ more understanding will be given.

Christians grow as a child from the infilling experience on to spiritual maturity in Christ. As one grows from the hearing of the Word and the DOING of what is written one becomes more mature in the things of the Word and greater understanding is revealed. Maturing in the spirit is accomplished through experience from doing as Jesus commanded. Therefore, being filled with the Holy Ghost and maturing in the Spirit is the way to the true spiritual interpretation of the bible and all those who live as such are Christians globally united without division. Those are sons of God, the members of the body of Christ - the one and only true church. The Bride of Christ Himself.

Thank you so much for your answer Pamela! I agree with you100%....if everyone in the body of Christ believed that one must first be filled with the Spirit, I believe that there would be less to no confusion about who God is and who Jesus is...but I have personally had conversations with people who claim that they are Christians and don't even believe in being filled with the Spirit.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)