Quoting from the Bible - duplicating God?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (41 posts)
  1. flpalermo profile image60
    flpalermoposted 9 years ago

When quoting from the Bible to clarify a point, or to prove a point, why is it considered DUPLICATING someone else's work?
    All writers that use the Bible MUST quote from the Bible, to make and prove their point!
    I MUST quote from the Bible in EVERY paper, so do  other writers that may write on the same subject as mine.
    Isn't this getting a little ridiculous?

1. Matthew Meyer profile image73
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Although we do not specifically forbid quote, lyric, or scripture content, such Hubs need to be predominantly original material.

Scripture can be more problematic for Hubs that are not very long as they can end up being a large portion of the content.

If you revise your Hub and add a larger portion of original commentary or editorial content, then you should be able to reduce the level of duplication.

You may also want to consider using scripture as a lower percentage of the total Hub content.

For more information on what is considered duplicate content please visit our Learning Center:
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Mode … te-Content

2. stuff4kids profile image60
      stuff4kidsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi,

It's also true that there are over one hundred variant English translations of the bible and each of the publishers, churches, universities or individual translators responsible legally own the copyright to those specific translations.

So you can only quote one or two lines in any case without making a copyright notice relating to the particular translation you favor - for which you should ideally have written, legal permission from the owners of that translation.

The bible isn't like the works of Shakespeare, for example, which are in the Public Domain, but while there are many editions, the words they contain are all the same. It is just the formatting and the commentaries which vary. It isn't a translation.

The bible, being a multi-authored collection of books from different historical periods and languages is only available to readers of modern languages in translations and translations are subject to copyright law.

A personal belief that God wrote the bible is fine but it wouldn't be much defence in a copyright suit!

flpalermoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

A copy right suit will not have a chance against God, since God himself has revealed to man that: “…the word of God is NOT BOUND” (2Timothy 2:9)  by any man, corporation or court of law anywhere. Would man be MORE righteous than God in a copyright suit?

1. stuff4kids profile image60

LOL!  I should try it. But what address would I ask my lawyers to use? You reckon he'd turn up? smile

He would be glad to give it to you on Judgement Day.

2. Jayne Lancer profile image91
          Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You are deliberately trying to start a religious discussion on the HubPages forums instead of creating your thread on the topical forums. What you really want has absolutely nothing to do with copyright. I've reported you and this thread.

I'm sorry for offending your religious belief. Have a wonderful happy day.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
              Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't have religious beliefs, and strongly object to being bothered by those of others on HubPages main forums. If I wanted that sort of thing, I'd go to the religious forums, where your thread belongs!

Wisdom is justified by her children. God bless you.

2. flpalermo profile image60

That is your opinion, Thank you for your love.

3. profile image0
          Emile Rposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There you go. You took a quote and expanded it into an idea (an off base one, but original nonetheless). I'm sure that would pass the original content test.

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago
  3. Barbara Kay profile image74
    Barbara Kayposted 9 years ago

The King James version is from the 1500's, so it is in the public domain. If you use that, you don't need to worry about copyright issues.

I've written hubs that quote the Bible, but most of my content is my own commentary. That is what you need to do.

1. Sed-me profile image79
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So smart. smile

4. Paul Wingert profile image60
    Paul Wingertposted 9 years ago

The Bible and Torah are the biggest rip offs of earlier religions and cultures including God - based on the Sumerian god, Ea.

Pro 30:5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
      Pro 30:6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

PRO 4:7 "Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding."

1CO 1:19: "For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent."

Um...

In the latter verse, God is talking about the wisdom of the world, which scoffs at salvation and the gift of God. He is saying, what He has done for mankind... the truth of His sacrifice and the gift He offers will be revealed for what it is and those who claimed to be so wise will come to understand fully Who He is and what He did for us. That verse goes on to say... "Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?…"

Good points and that may well be the case.

Just goes to show, however, that cherry-picked quotes from the bible, whether picked by believers or non-believers, don't really demonstrate anything except that the writer knows some verses that seem to support her argument.

Bible-quoting to other believers makes sense as they will be aware of the contexts. Quoting the bible - especially in big, shouty capitals as so many do - at non-believers isn't really likely to do much more than confuse or put them off.

That's true, isn't it?

Absolutely true. The Bible is not written for everyone today. The revealing of the secrets of life is for those who are "called." You will understand that some day at the second resurrection.

Oh, okay.

I won't worry about it now, then.

Thanks.   smile

2. Sed-me profile image79

Yes, I do not know why you would need to use all capitals. Cherry picking is a funny term. It becomes a sort of blanket statement for every time someone uses any specific verse. If it has to do with the subject, and if it's in context with the bible as a whole, then it's actually just quoting scripture. I think it might be overkill if you quoted the bible in it's entirety every time you wanted to discuss the importance of a specific scripture, do you know what I mean?

1. bBerean profile image61
                bBereanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Actually, the bible speaks to this point, but I don't want to "cherry pick".   Okay then, here goes...."In the beginning,  God created......"

lol

2. stuff4kids profile image60

smile lol!  Fair point!

2. flpalermo profile image60

God reveals His word “precept upon precept, line upon line, here a little and there a little” not for man to understand it, but that they “may fall backward” as Isa 28:13 states:
                “But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.”
                Because a person does not understand the Bible does not mean that it is untrue, it just mean that it  has NOT been given to THEM to understand, for now, in this age.
                As Jesus said: “He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is NOT given… because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.  For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.”
                If it’s not meant for you to understand it in this age, you won’t. The god of this age has blinded the minds of them which believe not. It’s not your fault, not to believe in THIS age. The age will come, during the establishment of the Kingdom of God.

Okey-dokey.

Well, enjoy it, then. I'm outta here now.

smile

2. Sed-me profile image79

Were you speaking to me? I am a believer and have spent much time in the word.

Oh, O.K. Have a wonderful day. Other articles by flpalermo available in Hub Pages.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)